Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I love my Kiev 60, even with all its little issues. Want to get an Arax or my Kiev serviced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Gevorg is fully repairing and upgrading the Kiev I sent him for only a hundo. It will effectively be a metal finish Arax 60 when he is done with it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sauer posted:

Gevorg is fully repairing and upgrading the Kiev I sent him for only a hundo. It will effectively be a metal finish Arax 60 when he is done with it.

Dang that's cheap, I'll need to get that done.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
He did the same for my flea-market find NIB 60. Cost about the same and I got a brand new, never used and perfectly working camera at the end.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Helen Highwater posted:

A Kiev 88 with a light meter? Are you talking about the metered prism? If so, junk that and use the waist level finder instead. It improves the ergonomics 200%, reduces weight about a billion percent and makes your pictures 30% better to boot.

Yep, exactly, metered prism. Is that different to a light meter? It didn't come with a waist level finder unfortunately. I'll have to keep an eye out on ebay I suppose, or ask the guy at the shop who sold it to me to keep it in mind.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
You can probably buy a spare one from Arax. They have finders for the 60 listed at $45 so I'd guess that a finder for an 80 would be about the same. The accessories for the 60 are not compatible with an 88, but Hasselblad finders are compatible so you may have more luck finding a separate finder on Ebay if you search for Hasselblad stuff.

I used the metered prism on my 88 the first time I ever took it out, then I tried the WLF for the second outing and my prism has never been put back onto the camera since. It's still a big and heavy camera, but it's no longer ohmygodmyarmsarefallingoff big and heavy when you take that prism off.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Helen Highwater posted:

You can probably buy a spare one from Arax. They have finders for the 60 listed at $45 so I'd guess that a finder for an 80 would be about the same. The accessories for the 60 are not compatible with an 88, but Hasselblad finders are compatible so you may have more luck finding a separate finder on Ebay if you search for Hasselblad stuff.

I used the metered prism on my 88 the first time I ever took it out, then I tried the WLF for the second outing and my prism has never been put back onto the camera since. It's still a big and heavy camera, but it's no longer ohmygodmyarmsarefallingoff big and heavy when you take that prism off.

Ok just bought one off ebay, from a seller in Ukraine for 44€. I'm really curious, shooting from waist level seems pretty counterintuitive.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Despite the name, you don't actually shoot it from waist level. You'll have it held up at about shoulder level, with your face bent over the top. It's a bit strange at first, especially as the image is horizontally flipped in the finder, but you'll quickly find that it's much, much easier to get critical focus in conjunction with the fold-out magnifier. You lose the lightmeter in the prism of course, but it's not so hard to guess at the exposure for most scenes, or you can use one of the many lightmeter apps for your smartphone.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

President Beep posted:

gently caress it! Found a Bessa I for $35 and snatched it up. Advertised with clean glass and light tight bellows. Sticking shutter at 1/10 and under; I’m fairly handy, so I may end up trying to fix that myself. Never done zone focusing, but it looks like there’s a couple of range settings that make it easy-ish to work with.

Hell yeah!

Welp, that fell through. Ebay seller messaged me to let me know they couldn't locate the item in their storage facility. Full refund has been issued. The search continues...

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

President Beep posted:

Welp, that fell through. Ebay seller messaged me to let me know they couldn't locate the item in their storage facility. Full refund has been issued. The search continues...

:ohdear: Sorry to hear that, that's disappointing.

After your first message, I impulse bought a (hopefully) different Bessa on ebay as well, which should hopefully be arriving soon. I hope you're able to find another one.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

pseudorandom posted:

:ohdear: Sorry to hear that, that's disappointing.

After your first message, I impulse bought a (hopefully) different Bessa on ebay as well, which should hopefully be arriving soon. I hope you're able to find another one.

That's awesome. Which model did you get? Seems like there are quite a few Bessa Is out there. My budget might be expanding a bit next month, it turns out, so my options may open up. I just need to be patient now...

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
best one is the bessa III

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 8, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That is so dope.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i keep reading your username as Megazone and lol'ing about the megazone thread

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

President Beep posted:

That's awesome. Which model did you get? Seems like there are quite a few Bessa Is out there. My budget might be expanding a bit next month, it turns out, so my options may open up. I just need to be patient now...

Emphasis on the "impulse bought": I'm not really sure :shrug:. It's some variant of the "Bessa" made before the "Bessa I". I can't find any pictures online that match the same feature set. My guess is a model made between 1935 and 1949.

Maybe one day I'll do research before dropping money for old cameras :downs:.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Megabound posted:

That is so dope.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Dude in a localphoto group is trying to sell me his Crown Graphic special. I kinda want it, but I'm on the fence about that as an entry to 4x5. He's asking a reasonable price for it as far as I can see from a quick check of similar eBay options (~$300) and it includes a 150mm Schneider-Kreuznach lens too. No rollfilm back, no extra film holders.

What are the Goon Bigfilmist opinions on it?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helen Highwater posted:

Dude in a localphoto group is trying to sell me his Crown Graphic special. I kinda want it, but I'm on the fence about that as an entry to 4x5. He's asking a reasonable price for it as far as I can see from a quick check of similar eBay options (~$300) and it includes a 150mm Schneider-Kreuznach lens too. No rollfilm back, no extra film holders.

What are the Goon Bigfilmist opinions on it?

I think it's ok if you don't mind the weight and you don't really need movements. Although if you don't really need movements, you might not really need to shoot LF as that's one of the big reasons for using LF cameras.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Trying to get the hang of the Yashica Mat I found on ebay a little over a week ago. Using the waist level viewfinder is still pretty hit or miss for me.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Back in 2012 I made the decision to give medium format photography a go. I opted to pick up a C330 on the grounds that I liked the idea of using a TLR and that, after a couple of months getting used to using the camera, I could pick up a wider angle lens to give myself a bit more flexibility without having to invest in an entirely new camera. So true to plan, a mere 6 and a half years later, I am now the proud owner of a Sekor 55mm f/4.5. Which means I can go w i d e:

Snowstorm and Street Art
by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Snow Splattered Sign
by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Snowbound Train
by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

I really like this one. Very cool subject and setting.

Anyone with familiar with the Yashica Mat struggle with intermittent advance crank issues? The mechanism consistently works fine once the counter passes 12 frames, but running through the numbers the crank will occasionally jam, only going through around 1/3 of its travel, resulting in a lost frame as I have to return the crank to its beginning position to restart the process.

I may end up opening the case, but I doubt I’ll be able to get the original leatherette off in one piece, so I’ve been reluctant.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Mine did that for a while after I got it. When it would seize pressing the shutter release would let it continue to travel. Never did figure out what was causing the problem and why pressing the shutter button would unjam it; it went away on its own after some use.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Cool. I’ll try that when it happens again. I had to fiddle with the cocking mechanism on mine when I first got it, and I learned that there’s a mechanism in there that prevents film advance without depressing the shutter button. I suspect that in mine this could be getting prematurely engaged, but I’m not sure why yet.

e: As I think I mentioned in the repair thread, I got this thing for $55, and it works most of the time, so I’m really being a skinflint about sending it off for a proper CLA. Yeah, I know, sunk cost fallacy...

President Beep fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 10, 2019

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mine occasionally locks up after taking the very first frame. I'll load up fine, wind it fine, shoot the first frame fine, then when I try to crank it to the next one the lever won't move until I hit the shutter again, which DOES result in a double exposure. I've been trying just cranking that second exposure to be as fast as possible while covering the lens, luckily the 124 goes down to f32. Hopefully that'll be dark enough to not ruin the first exposure!

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Post spam for the post spam god! :black101:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Discovered that my yashica does not like cold weather. Had the day off yesterday so I decided to walk around downtown and try out some delta 100. Temps were in the mid teens and I was having film advance issues the whole time, but I thought I might’ve gotten off a few decent shots.

Apparently I was wrong, and it must be that the shutter was sticking too, because when I pulled the developed roll out of my tank just now the entire loving thing was blank.

:tizzy:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Nice stuff, images to get pissed off with

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I really like this series.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, I dig that last one with the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

thanks!