Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ranking system is dumb and all but even a bunch of the guys who believe in rank and such can still show themselves to be decently heroic individuals. Even guys like Sneck can step up when they have to, he knew he was completely outclassed when monsters attacked the Tournament but he tried to fight them off anyway.

And I don't think many of the S classes really care that much about rank either. Bang doesn't seem to and I doubt Watchdog Man does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Watchdog Man doesn't seem to care about much more than protecting his city from monsters; he even stopped chasing Garou after the latter managed to flee the city limits.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Watchdog Man is the sole hero protecting his city isnt he? Lest I'm mistaken that's also the city with the most dangerous monsters too, how does he do it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
He's Saitama from the future where he's a furry

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Eej posted:

Kira Yamato disarmed most of his opponents and he is still hailed as a virtuous hero
please do not troll in this thread

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

I don't know about this, because I can't recall cops ever showing up anywhere outside a single chapter of the Murata comic. And during that chapter I am pretty sure the cops were lamenting that heroes were doing their jobs for them and taking all the credit. As for heroes doing cop work, heroes show up to deal with the Hammerhead gang and a hero shows up to deal with Saitama being called a pervert. More mundane stuff probably isn't shown because it doesn't fit the story.

The police didn't overlap with the heroes since the police seem to be ill equipped to fight monsters even compared to some of the weaker heroes in the association. That chapter was about the cops feeling "uncool" because of how much popularity the heroes association had gained over the year. And MaCoy just wanted to rub it in the police departments face that they couldn't handle monsters.

I think Garou was the only person demanding that heroes should also be correcting social issues since civilians just seem concerned with whether or not heroes can take down a major threat.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
sub b class heroes have to patrol the city and justify their existence so they end up doing a lot of cop work. also it's dumb to be mad at heros for caring about ranks when rank determines their pay.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Parrotine posted:

Watchdog Man is the sole hero protecting his city isnt he? Lest I'm mistaken that's also the city with the most dangerous monsters too, how does he do it

He has the combined power of every good dog, so basically he holds the power of all doggos. He's a godlike doglike, on a mission from Dog.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
In other words
He is
Watchdog

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://mangadex.org/title/7139/one-punch-man

Lots of screen time for the A-rank heroes

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Once again we see that Atomic Samurai's only strategy is "hit them even harder." They might as well be taking lessons from Goku.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
it's a good thing these guys are taking on the hair monster, Saitama probably would have destroyed the entire labyrinth in a fit of jealous rage

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

golden bubble posted:

Once again we see that Atomic Samurai's only strategy is "hit them even harder." They might as well be taking lessons from Goku.
I swear Iaian is really the one training everyone because he can give actual advice in combat that's useful and clear.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That mangadex translation isn't great but the mangastream one that just went up has casual transphobia

so it's kind of a wash

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I feel like that character is a minefield as it is and maybe that's what the original text said? Doesn't justify the original author if it is what was said but might explain why mangastream went there. Mangastream and mangadex also disagree on that character's gender so even without using the word tranny one of the two is off the mark.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Captain Cappy posted:

I feel like that character is a minefield as it is and maybe that's what the original text said?

It's just 切っていいか? meaning literally "Can I cut (him/her)?" and that's it

While I generally endorse spicing up translations that would otherwise sound wooden in English, MS went a bit off the rails with the artistic license in this case

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

tiistai posted:

It's just 切っていいか? meaning literally "Can I cut (him/her)?" and that's it

While I generally endorse spicing up translations that would otherwise sound wooden in English, MS went a bit off the rails with the artistic license in this case

Yeah this is not the first time MS is doing this kind of crap, like remember how they made Genos call Blizzard a bitch.

Symbolic Butt posted:

Yeah, he said "kisama" (貴様) which is rude but not the same as say "kono ama" (この尼) which is how Jotaro calls his mom a bitch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I carefully read the MS chapter twice and was very confused before checking the comments to see that apparently they removed that line a few hours after the first version was posted, so there's that at least.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Edit: Already up

Captain Quack fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 26, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

What? No, y'all are overthinking this way too hard.

This should absolutely be the thread title.

For what it's worth, Sweet Mask points out that the power is based on feeling pain and seems confident he won't be controlled under any circumstances, so the most likely answer is probably related to that, but we'll never know for sure unless he mentions not feeling pain at a later date as the monster is dead now. RIP.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/TheGoldenSmurf/status/1102574653887995904

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh boy. Almost time for meandering Super Fight.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

The haters are allowed to hate but regardless of the arc's impact on future events or lack thereof it's full of awesome fights and I am looking forward to Sneck and crew be awesome heroes. That's a great moment.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1102766074305568768

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I hope they do justice to Metal Bat vs. Garou.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The tournament arc is about to become the best part of the series :getin:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is it the same animation team behind season 2?

The animation was Really good in season 1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

no.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any shared staff? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but it'd be cool to find put if there's like, a sound guy who worked on both

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Collapsing Farts posted:

No, it’s a different studio. Season one was produced by Madhouse and season two is being produced by J. C. Staff

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have low expectations but am open to being pleasantly surprised

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I expect jc staff to do a decent job, which will feel like a letdown if compared directly to s1 but on its own merits will have plenty of fairly hype fights

My impression of jc staff has always been "gives trash a better adaptation than it deserves" much like A-1, not sure how accurate that actually is but I'm sure they'll be able to perform the job with basic competency and it won't be a dumpster fire

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
To be fair, here, season 1's famous sequences were mostly animated by guest animators from outside the studio. The important thing is that it was an exercise by the director to bring in as many of them as possible, and that's still possible at a different studio.

The thing is that it also has a different director, who probably doesn't have the same connections.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i dont know anything really about japanese media creation but why didnt they use the same studio to produce season 2?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Shokugeki season 1 was about all I know from them and they put a lot of love into making that look good so who knows

That promotional image looks real bad though

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'm increasingly worried that we're a month off and there's been no clips of any actual action scenes shown.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There has been nothing shown and yeah it's kiiiiinda weird. Productions are definitely hard but this season of Mob's biggest episode yet was finished in August, and that was the first one they worked on, with the PV dropping in October, all very ahead of schedule when compared to a lot of other shows

People are using really old examples of what J.C. Staff has done, but modern J.C. Staff has put out shows nobody loving likes (Amanchu Advance, Back Street Girls) or shows that are good, but not exactly high action lookers (High School Girl)

violent sex idiot posted:

i dont know anything really about japanese media creation but why didnt they use the same studio to produce season 2?
Madhouse has three or four shows already listed for 2019 and I honestly think One Punch Man just does not have the base in Japan that it does in the West, so it's just not a priority for them

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 6, 2019

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The new director has a lot of animation experience but his directorial background is iirc like 6 episodes total and they're all scattered, so it's like 1 episode of soma, 1 episode of squid girl, 1 episode of seikon no qwaser, 1 episode of akashic records and other stuff I don't remember. It's not super inspiring.

They can bring guest animators but I think Bones has demonstrated that when it comes to ONE's work it's less about pure animation quality and more about using the right kind of animation for the right kind of scene and that needs proper direction.

I want to be optimistic about s2 of OPM but between the new studio, the manga still not having finished the current arc and the anime previews (or lack thereof) I'm expecting to be disappointed and that blows.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

People are using really old examples of what J.C. Staff has done, but modern J.C. Staff has put out shows nobody loving likes (Amanchu Advance, Back Street Girls)

That's....some pedigree, alright. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I forgot where I read it, but apparently episodes are only now starting to be finished. A month out. This production's doomed.