Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah turns out they were getting harassed by Vic supporters, and Ethan has absolutely no part in it...but he really wants one.

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1097919522210746368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"And then, and then, I asked if I could get Agent Scully's autograph and he said she was, she was really busy but that he would ask but I know he'll do it and I bet she'll say okay so I'm gonna be watching the mailbox..."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
...is EVS okay? As a person?

Because this is really starting to feel like the kind of story that ends with "During the autopsy, they discovered he had a brain tumor the size of a grapefruit."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's always been a freak, it's just that now he has a little cult of personality to encourage him.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:
I had no idea this was a thing - EVS seems like he's gone off the deep end. Sounds like he's always been a bit off-kilter, but man, these last few years have done a number on easily impressionable guys. Who is this Jordan B Petersen gently caress and why do I keep seeing his name popup anytime these guys go all redpill? Same poo poo happened with Kanye a while back I saw that guys name being thrown around and referenced then too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Donde Esta posted:

Who is this Jordan B Petersen gently caress and why do I keep seeing his name popup anytime these guys go all redpill?

He's a Canadian academic / self-help guru who provides a thin veneer of respectability for the alt-right.

He is also a deeply strange person.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1097995568125751299?s=19

Someone with an X-Men logo as their avatar complaining about politics in their comics will never not be hilarious to me. Like if they actually read any of the comics they're complaining about and didn't have EVS or someone else telling them it's SJW propaganda I'm pretty sure they wouldn't think there's politics in that comic either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
academic in the loosest sense, he's the guy the nazis roll out to discuss why transphobia is acceptable and right using big words

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's a Canadian academic / self-help guru who provides a thin veneer of respectability for the alt-right.

Hmm, let's look him up:

Wikipedia posted:

Peterson has said that men without partners are likely to become violent, and has noted that "enforced monogamy", i.e. societies wherein monogamy is a social norm, decrease male violence.[16][107] He has attributed the rise of Donald Trump and far-right European politicians to what he says is a push to "feminize" men, saying "If men are pushed too hard to feminize they will become more and more interested in harsh, fascist political ideology."[110]

Ah, yes, the ol' "appeal to nature" fallacy, relied upon by respected philosophers everywhere. "It's not your fault you want to beat women and murder immigrants, that's just your natural reaction to society imposing feminine ideals upon you. The problem isn't you, it's them." I don't think I need to dive much deeper on this guy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

academic in the loosest sense, he's the guy the nazis roll out to discuss why transphobia is acceptable and right using big words

Jordan Peterson is absolutely a Nazi and terrible in general, but he's also definitely an academic. He's a tenured professor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Donde Esta posted:

I don't think I need to dive much deeper on this guy.
You don't unless you want to tumble down a deep well of crazy beliefs about Disney cartoons, the necessity of punching someone you disagree with, snake loving, daydreams about beating up toddlers, and all-beef diets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Skwirl posted:

Jordan Peterson is absolutely a Nazi and terrible in general, but he's also definitely an academic. He's a tenured professor.

I don’t think anything that makes him famous is involved in his academic field. So it’s kind of irrelevant

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you need an easy, palatable summary of the guy, there's always hearing two comedians dive deep into Peterson's bestseller where he rants about how Nelson from the Simpsons is the child of a vile whore.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Peterson is pretty good at sounding like he has something to say. I've mentioned this before I think but when I teach freshman comp or intro survey courses there's a always a certain sort of kid these days who was probably pretty bright in high-school, pretty jaded about public education, and disaffected in a rote teen way, who blundered into Peterson's orbit and brings some of his ideas into the classroom. It sucks and it's a minefield and a headache but really his ideas are super dumb and incoherent and 80% of teenagers who have a Peterson phase seem to grow out of it when offered better ideas, or when they realize that college in a big city is a lot more interesting than high-school in the burbs and that there are interesting people to talk to in real life your own age who aren't internet nazis.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I can get why somebody would fall for Jordan Peterson as a teenager since I thought libertarian-ism just made perfect sense when I was 17.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You don't unless you want to tumble down a deep well of crazy beliefs about Disney cartoons, the necessity of punching someone you disagree with, snake loving, daydreams about beating up toddlers, and all-beef diets.

Don't forget the lobsters.

Or the weird-as-hell map of his 'teachings'.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Vandar posted:

Don't forget the lobsters.

Or the weird-as-hell map of his 'teachings'.

That looks like something the Church of the Sub-Genius would've made as a joke.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

well thats what i mean by loosest sense, he uses his position to give "weight" to push his bigoted poo poo but it's not like he's doing any worthwhile research with it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pfft yeah if you consider UofT a "real" University I guess.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

site posted:

well thats what i mean by loosest sense, he uses his position to give "weight" to push his bigoted poo poo but it's not like he's doing any worthwhile research with it

Absolutely, let's not forget that the only reason anybody outside of his field (or to be frank, anyone within his field other than, I guess, his immediate colleagues) even knows who he is is because he took the "courageous stance" of adamantly misgendering students.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

the necessity of punching someone you disagree with

To be fair I'm all for punching Nazis - that's how WW2 was won, but I'm going to pass on the rest of that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Donde Esta posted:

To be fair I'm all for punching Nazis - that's how WW2 was won, but I'm going to pass on the rest of that.

Oh yeah, that's cool, because it represents an extreme response to an extreme situation.

Doctor Jorp posted:

Here’s the problem, I know how to stand up to a man who’s unfairly trespassed against me and the reason I know that is because the parameters for my resistance are quite well-defined, which is: we talk, we argue, we push, and then it becomes physical. If we move beyond the boundaries of civil discourse, we know what the next step is. That’s forbidden in discourse with women and so I don’t think that men can control crazy women. I really don’t believe it.

quote:

If you’re talking to a man who wouldn’t fight with you under any circumstances whatsoever, then you’re talking to someone to whom you have absolutely no respect

He also published an account of the time he wanted to beat up a toddler because the toddler was mean to his daughter, and another of the time he had a dream about beating up a journalist who disagree with him.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Donde Esta posted:

It was also won by nuking women and children of a race deemed to be inferior so it’s important to remember that we ourselves can be so much better.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

hadji murad posted:

It was also won by nuking women and children of a race deemed to be inferior so it’s important to remember that we ourselves can be so much better.

This argument would have more weight if nazis hadn't murdered somebody at a protest recently. But you're right, we need to gently and calmly ask them to not kill us pretty please :decorum:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh yeah, that's cool, because it represents an extreme response to an extreme situation.

He also published an account of the time he wanted to beat up a toddler because the toddler was mean to his daughter, and another of the time he had a dream about beating up a journalist who disagree with him.

It’s also worth noting here that this is all said by a thin, reedy professor who sounds like Kermit the frog. You know, real alpha type

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think anything that makes him famous is involved in his academic field. So it’s kind of irrelevant

Yeah it's one of those Dr. Laura scenarios. He has no qualifications at all to make the sweeping sociological and political statements he does.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 20, 2019

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

An all meat diet? No wonder he’s so full of poo poo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ariong posted:

An all meat diet? No wonder he’s so full of poo poo.

heyoooooo

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

There's also the time when Peterson couldn't sleep for a month after he drank apple cider because it gave him an "overwhelming sense of impending doom". He really is a gigantic loser in every way imaginable.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Regarding Jorp:

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/1058359188278120448?lang=en

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

hadji murad posted:

The Empire of Japan did nothing wrong and was a bastion of racial equality 50 years ahead of its time.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the gently caress

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
If i knew challenging the rah rah narrative of dubya dubya two would lead to this i would’ve not replied at all

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"America nuked Japan, therefor Neo-Nazis should be allowed to operate unopposed" is a pretty loving galaxy brain take

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Who stated that nazis should be unopposed?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

hadji murad posted:

Who stated that nazis should be unopposed?

You implied that by being a smug arsehole in response to a joke about the necessity of opposing nazis.

quote:

If i knew challenging the rah rah narrative of dubya dubya two would lead to this i would’ve not replied at all
So now you know...

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I apologize. I certainly did not intend to give that impression. I should have correctly pointed out that the best way to oppose Nazis is full communism, as their victory showed.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, my. The CG subreddit.

I wonder what constitutes 'concern trolling' for ComicsGate.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

"Persistent use of logical fallacies" - can a sub ban itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

hadji murad posted:

I apologize. I certainly did not intend to give that impression. I should have correctly pointed out that the best way to oppose Nazis is full communism, as their victory showed.

I wouldn't point to Stalinist Russia as the best way to defeat Nazis unless you are a big fan of throwing people into the front lines until you where the enemy down.