Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
768 copies of the same Ticket came in...

Fix your email notifications Telus, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alighieri posted:

A clear sign someone is not handling external inputs into a database properly, burn it with fire.

It's probably storing password in cleartext.
Thankfully I got a survey and told them something along these lines and that they need to get their poo poo together as a massive conglomerate that has probably millions of peoples' data on file.

Yes I know no one actually reads surveys :eng99:

if I had any effort and a twitter I would try to roast them there

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Bang an email to Troy Hunt. He might take interest.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Entropic posted:

768 copies of the same Ticket came in...

Fix your email notifications Telus, Jesus Christ.

Just lol if you think isps will care

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wrote a little webdev applet way back when. Forgot the specific purpose, but the only time the password was in plain text after the log-in button was pressed was when it was being passed from the password box to the hash function. After that it was compared to the hashed version in the database.

I don't get how these people are so lazy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It’s kind of funny in a dark dystopian way , how Ma Bell was split up and it’s spent 30 years buying itself back up. Like a conglomerate T-1000.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arquinsiel posted:

Bang an email to Troy Hunt. He might take interest.
Who is that?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Like a conglomerate T-1000.
I got a good laugh out of this, thank you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's the dude who runs haveibeenpwned.com. Regularly throws companies with bad security practices to the wolves on twitter and has a huge presence.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/larsklint/status/1098166163828162561

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LOL

https://twitter.com/karohemd/status/1098184983448031232

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yep, that's going into work slack, it'll make someone's day. :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Having moved from datacenter work to security I've just sent that to basically all the people I talk to.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Due to a lack of available switch ports, our long-standing practice is to only activate ports in dorm rooms upon special request. This happens rarely (only once since I started working here), as mostly everyone just uses WiFi for everything.

I got an email from a student yesterday requesting the port in his room be activated so he can use his desktop computer. So, this morning I went to the dorm, remembered that not one of my predecessors ever mapped any of the switches in the dorms, and then spent the next 45 minutes trying to track down the correct patch panel port running back to the kid's room, in a pitch black network closet lit by my little pocket flashlight because the lights had blown at some point. After 45 minutes, I realized that, even though each dorm room has dual port wallplates, only one of them has anything running back to the closet and I had my toner plugged into the wrong one. Swapped the port in the room, tracked down the correct port on the patch panel, got it hooked into the switch, checked it worked, packed up my tools, and went back downstairs. I ran by the hall director's office on my way out to let them know I was done.

:v: All done! I got the network port in 222 working, so you can tell %student% it should be working for him.
:j: Oh, it don't matter.
:v: Why?
:j: He probably won't be back in there.
:v: And why is that?
:j: He got caught with a bunch of drugs last night. He's being withdrawn.

So now I get to undo everything I just did.

I get paid a lot of money to do this.

Fake PS: I unveiled my ten year technology plan Monday, outlining just how bad our decade-long neglect of our network infrastructure really is and just how much it's going to cost to get it stable. After a bunch of cussing and fussing by my boss, I now have a blank check to BUILD THE NETWORK OF MY DREAMS :getin:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the network of my dreams is a single computer

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

larchesdanrew posted:

Fake PS: I unveiled my ten year technology plan Monday, outlining just how bad our decade-long neglect of our network infrastructure really is and just how much it's going to cost to get it stable. After a bunch of cussing and fussing by my boss, I now have a blank check to BUILD THE NETWORK OF MY DREAMS :getin:

I hope you have this in writing, printed off, and multiple copies in secure locations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

larchesdanrew posted:

Due to a lack of available switch ports, our long-standing practice is to only activate ports in dorm rooms upon special request. This happens rarely (only once since I started working here), as mostly everyone just uses WiFi for everything.

I got an email from a student yesterday requesting the port in his room be activated so he can use his desktop computer. So, this morning I went to the dorm, remembered that not one of my predecessors ever mapped any of the switches in the dorms, and then spent the next 45 minutes trying to track down the correct patch panel port running back to the kid's room, in a pitch black network closet lit by my little pocket flashlight because the lights had blown at some point. After 45 minutes, I realized that, even though each dorm room has dual port wallplates, only one of them has anything running back to the closet and I had my toner plugged into the wrong one. Swapped the port in the room, tracked down the correct port on the patch panel, got it hooked into the switch, checked it worked, packed up my tools, and went back downstairs. I ran by the hall director's office on my way out to let them know I was done.

:v: All done! I got the network port in 222 working, so you can tell %student% it should be working for him.
:j: Oh, it don't matter.
:v: Why?
:j: He probably won't be back in there.
:v: And why is that?
:j: He got caught with a bunch of drugs last night. He's being withdrawn.

So now I get to undo everything I just did.

I get paid a lot of money to do this.

Why do you need to replace obviously unused, underutilized access switches in less than 10 years for a school.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

DNS will still be the problem.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GreenNight posted:

I hope you have this in writing, printed off, and multiple copies in secure locations.

I got a similar directive from a high level VP in my department one quarter. Unlimited budget to get all Windows computers up to the same OS version in six months!

Two weeks later, I got an email that he was transferring to our charitable foundation.

Never did get my budget. Still got Windows 7 machines in the environment.

And my doctor wonders why I laugh when he tells me to drink less.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Methanar posted:

Why do you need to replace obviously unused, underutilized access switches in less than 10 years for a school.

This isn't just for the switches in the dorms (which also support WiFi APs, security cameras, and an upcoming VOIP system), but literally everything in every network closet on campus. The newest piece of equipment we have is a Dell server that is 5 years old. ALL of our switches were donated to us 12 years ago and they were old when they were donated. None of them support faster than a 100 meg connection and we span about 7 buildings on campus. None of them are PoE, either, so all of our network closets contain mountains of injectors to power the 120 APs and 98 security cameras we have running all over campus. Our firewall is EoL and can't even be warranty supported any more, our SANs are running on about 8 years now, and, until about 3 months ago, all of our virtual servers were running 2008 R2. Our APs are 12 year old Cisco monstrosities. Literally everything has been neglected and bandaided to hell and back to keep this place afloat. I couldn't even get approval to replace the batteries in dead UPSes, and every brownout on an extremely unstable electrical grid causes us to come crashing down about three times a week.

It's gross, dude, and schools need infrastructure upgrades just like any business.

GreenNight posted:

I've got this in an email, he's signed the tech plan, and I'm presenting said plan to our foundation board in two weeks. He told both me and our network consultant "I've already allocated these funds to this project, just give me a date for completion and make it happen." This is happening and I'm stoked.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ghostlight posted:

So, "the cloud" it is then.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ntPxdWAWq8

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A printer tech showed up at one our sites to do replace the rollers. According to one our employees there, he essentially disassembled the printer, then sat on the floor and watching a Youtube video on how fix the printer. Apparently he lost his temper, collected all the parts and tossed them in a box, told the person it couldn't be fixed and then left.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

A printer tech showed up at one our sites to do replace the rollers. According to one our employees there, he essentially disassembled the printer, then sat on the floor and watching a Youtube video on how fix the printer. Apparently he lost his temper, collected all the parts and tossed them in a box, told the person it couldn't be fixed and then left.

LOL

I imagine there’s a printer tech looking for a new job right now.

I mean, I sympathize, but god drat.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So, "the cloud" it is then.

There was much chortling over Amazon's announcement of bare-metal ec2 instances the other day.

Now we're literally in the realm of "other people's computers".

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Sounds like he watched Office Space on Youtube. :raise:

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Is this one of you guys ?

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2019/02/21/almost-week-no-internet-amherst-college

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Please don't dox me

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

have they checked dns?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

To be a fly on the wall of the email DL that most current and retired uni IT directors belong to.

e: just emailed my former director to see if she has any scuttlebutt.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:yeshaha:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

larchesdanrew posted:

Please don't dox me

We know it’s not you because their article implies IT has more than one person on the team

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Virigoth posted:

We know it’s not you because their article implies IT has more than one person on the team

Ouch. But true.

Let's start the day off by discussing the single most cursed thing I have ever seen

Weedle
May 31, 2006

larchesdanrew posted:

Ouch. But true.

Let's start the day off by discussing the single most cursed thing I have ever seen

I mean, it says right on the page that it allows the user to “enjoy work.” Sounds great!!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
I HEARD ABOUT SOME EUROPEAN COMPANY THAT HAS THEIR IT ALL IN ONE BOX, WHY ARE WE NOT DOING THIS

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

larchesdanrew posted:

Ouch. But true.

Replacing IT with a printer sounds like the plot of a dystopian future movie.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Replacing IT with a printer sounds like the plot of a dystopian future movie.

Gonna suck when no one can access the network because of a paper jam

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

NETWORK ERROR: OUT OF BLACK TONER

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

Non-Ricoh toner detected. Turning on foul email responder.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

larchesdanrew posted:

Please follow the simple on-screen instructions to restore your device to factory default settings and resolve this issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Macaroni posted:

I HEARD ABOUT SOME EUROPEAN COMPANY THAT HAS THEIR IT ALL IN ONE BOX, WHY ARE WE NOT DOING THIS