Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a gooncensus on best Pokémon games? I've played Y, AlphaSapphire and now UltraMoon. So far, my favorite I think was Y. Were X Y really good even by Pokémon standards, or am I a weirdo and X Y were really poo poo games. Alpha Sapphire became a bit annoying because I kept getting turned around and heading the wrong direction. So far Ultra Moon is SUPER linear and I haven't found a place to plant berries yet.

Yeah, i think Y was my favorite as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like XY has mixed reception. I feel like I've seen a fair share of negativity about them, it's a generation a bunch of people skipped, complaints about the exp-all system wrecking the difficulty. The story was kinda nothing as well.

Personally it felt like a bit of a revival generation. I know a lot of people who got it, the pokemon variety felt incredibly great, you had a ton of choice early on, Fairy was a cool addition as well as there being some great new comers. I didn't really care of the lack of a good rival though, the buddy group was kinda lame. The exp-share thing did make the game easier, but it was so much nicer then having to have weak mons go first just for a swap-out, or having to really grind up later additions to the party. I'd say its one of my favourites. If at this moment I had to pick my favourite three gens, not really ordered, I'd say G/S (mostly nostalgia) B/W (for feeling like a fresh start) and X/Y for reasons mentioned.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 20, 2019

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

heart gold is the best don’t @ me about the trivial stuff

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Every generation is someone's favorite.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

oddium posted:

heart gold is the best don’t @ me about the trivial stuff

Excuse me, but don't you mean Soul Silver?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

WrightOfWay posted:

Every generation is someone's favorite.

Yeah, basically, You'll never get a consensus because most mainline Pokemon games are actually very good and which you like more or less will depend entirely on your own personal preference (helped by Game Freak adding and removing features with no real rhyme or logic, as well as newer games being more willing to change the formula and thus produce rather different settings despite the obvious similarities of being in the same series).

Personally my favourites are BW because of the actual attempt at a story, Gym Leaders that matter, rivals that actually change, a genuine attempt at forcing people out of their confort zones...basically everything except the awful early-game Pokemon selection. B2W2 improved on that but also had a far worse and far more sporadic story and some of the new maps were horrible. Still very good.

Like, the only mainline games I'd say are genuinely bad are Diamond and Pearl, and even that's unimportant because Platinum is the same but with basically everything bad fixed and several improvements on top of that.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the paper doll animated sprites of bw are a stain on human history

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So exp-share was first introduced in X/Y? How much of a pain in the rear end is every single Pokémon fight without it? Seems like i'd need to be constantly rotating out my dudes at all times to get them levelled up. Granted, I guess there is a level of satisfaction in that? I will say that X Y had ZERO challenge and I was 30+ levels over all enemies at all times in the game. But I didn't mind that, I wasn't playing for a challeng. I liked exploring the world, growing/farming berries, and just running around catching new poo poo and making them gently caress in daycare. I've barely scratched the surface of breeding, don't maybe 2 multi player matches with my son, and still don't fully understand types and all the stats/IVs/EVs etc. For a "kid's game" it's got a crazy amount of depth to it.

Edit: Do people tend to just blitz the story, and then focus more on catching/breeding/fighting or what have you? Or do ya'll do all that stuff along the way of the story?

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 20, 2019

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think a lot of Pokemon players, many of whom don't post on The Forums (or any game website) play the story and that's it. I remember several years ago someone from Game Freak said the attempt at making the games more linear such as in Gen 5 was because they found a lot of people get to Confusing Dark Cave or Endless (Sinnoh) Snow Route and just frustratingly quit.

Which I think is great. A linear map that is simple to follow means the story people get to do their story, and the people into post-game shenanigans, whatever that may be, get to get to that point quickly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing I do really like about Sun/Moon is the interface. I like how I can cure status by rubbing cotton balls and rags on their faces and what not. I like how I don't need to remember to constantly go into a different mode to train and love on them. I like how there's a separate "save" button and how I can view status effects right on the battle screen. Lots of good QoL tweaks.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

oddium posted:

the paper doll animated sprites of bw are a stain on human history

f*ck you!!!!

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a gooncensus on best Pokémon games?

Puzzle League

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

So exp-share was first introduced in X/Y? How much of a pain in the rear end is every single Pokémon fight without it? Seems like i'd need to be constantly rotating out my dudes at all times to get them levelled up. Granted, I guess there is a level of satisfaction in that? I will say that X Y had ZERO challenge and I was 30+ levels over all enemies at all times in the game. But I didn't mind that, I wasn't playing for a challeng. I liked exploring the world, growing/farming berries, and just running around catching new poo poo and making them gently caress in daycare. I've barely scratched the surface of breeding, don't maybe 2 multi player matches with my son, and still don't fully understand types and all the stats/IVs/EVs etc. For a "kid's game" it's got a crazy amount of depth to it.

Edit: Do people tend to just blitz the story, and then focus more on catching/breeding/fighting or what have you? Or do ya'll do all that stuff along the way of the story?

Every game has had XP share. In RBY it was a key item that split the XP between the whole party, every game after that until XY made it a hold item that have half the XP to the holder. XY made it a key item again but now every team member gets the full XP.

You'll be fine without it. Might want to turn it on every now and then.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solumin posted:

Every game has had XP share. In RBY it was a key item that split the XP between the whole party, every game after that until XY made it a hold item that have half the XP to the holder. XY made it a key item again but now every team member gets the full XP.

You'll be fine without it. Might want to turn it on every now and then.

Every member of my 6 mon party gets full XP in every fight? I thought with exp-share on, only 'mons who were active in a fight get full exp and the benchwarmers get 1/2 xp. Is that not accurate?

Also sorry for all the dumb questions. I'm at work and most of the sites I'd reference are web-filtered. So it's either talk about Pokémon, or actually work.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

chaosapiant posted:

Every member of my 6 mon party gets full XP in every fight? I thought with exp-share on, only 'mons who were active in a fight get full exp and the benchwarmers get 1/2 xp. Is that not accurate?

Also sorry for all the dumb questions. I'm at work and most of the sites I'd reference are web-filtered. So it's either talk about Pokémon, or actually work.

You're right about it, the non-fighters get half the EXP. It's a big boost compared to the old EXP Share methods, but you can always turn it off if you find you're getting too overleveled. I myself appreciate the lack of grinding I have to do in the games that have featured it thus far.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alxprit posted:

You're right about it, the non-fighters get half the EXP. It's a big boost compared to the old EXP Share methods, but you can always turn it off if you find you're getting too overleveled. I myself appreciate the lack of grinding I have to do in the games that have featured it thus far.

Same. I like feeling like I don't have to rotate through 6 pokermans every time I fight a caterpie.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Oh, my mistake. For some reason I thought it was full XP for everybody.

Half XP is still more than enough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chaosapiant posted:

Same. I like feeling like I don't have to rotate through 6 pokermans every time I fight a caterpie.

Eh you don't rotate that much. I usually rotate every 2 levels or so which tends to be quite a few fights.

Also before Gen VI pokemon split exp in battle instead of getting the full amount. And honestly the only games its really an issue in are Gold/Silver/Crystal and their remakes because they have multiple areas with insane level jumps and very little exp to go aroune.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
On the other hand, you can easily have a team of 12 Pokemon and keep them leveled with the XP share.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Solumin posted:

On the other hand, you can easily have a team of 12 Pokemon and keep them leveled with the XP share.

Huh? How 12?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Switching out Pokemon very often.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

chaosapiant posted:

Huh? How 12?

Six Kangaskhans

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

less laughter posted:

Puzzle League

Very close tie between the tcg game and this for me, personally

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The TCG game for the Gameboy was goddamn stellar.

Anyway I quite liked Y (recently beat it), but good Lord the camera in not-paris is godawful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zedd posted:

The TCG game for the Gameboy was goddamn stellar.

Anyway I quite liked Y (recently beat it), but good Lord the camera in not-paris is godawful.

There was a pretty good fantranslation just released for its Japan-only sequel.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

less laughter posted:

Six Kangaskhans

Magneton, Vanilluxe, Girafarig, Slowbro, Weezing, and [any other Pokémon]

Zedd posted:

Ya gotta skate.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Chill Penguin posted:

Magneton, Vanilluxe, Girafarig, Slowbro, Weezing, and [any other Pokémon]

How could you forget Dugtrio and Dodrio

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I liked Sun/Moon the best but US/UM had some really fun postgame stuff (and the quick save option which I hope never goes away)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Like, the only mainline games I'd say are genuinely bad are Diamond and Pearl

:haibrow:

E: Diamond is also what got me back into Pokemon after stopping in Gen I.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nth Doctor posted:

:same: but it was Pearl

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Nth Doctor posted:

My experience is the exact opposite, Diamond and Pearl nearly made me quit the franchise. Thankfully, they were followed by HG/SS and Platinum, and I say this as someone that isn't even that smitten with Johto (but probably would be if it had a real level curve, because HG and SS are beautiful games).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
DPP introduced my second favorite Pokemon, Shellos

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Hmm let's see. I played Blue (didn't finish), Gold (didn't finish), and then Ruby was the first one I got really into, beat the Elite Four, all that stuff. I sort of missed out on the DS games because I didn't have one for ages, so I have Platium, White and White 2 to play through. I recently got back in with X, finished the story, doing post game stuff. I keep trying to get into Alpha Sapphire and being unable to settle down. Beat the Elite Four in Sun, trundling slowly through Ultra Moon.
My main and only goal in these games is to collect as many pokemon as possible. I love to collect my mons.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Sun was my favourite because of the buff mosquito man

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
the best pokemon game is Pokémon Black Version, op

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Golden Gael posted:

XY felt very open ended in a way most Pokemon games don't usually. It's uncommon for an area or function in these games to go completely unused even counting events - I think the last game to do this was Gold and Silver with the Celebi shrine. This isn't counting legacy stuff like items from past games, mind.

Generation IV was the last one to have multiple unreleased events. The Member Card to get Darkrai and Oak's Letter to get Shaymin never came out in Diamond and Pearl, then there was the Azure Flute which never became available in all 3 Sinnoh games and by extension prevented a second trip to the Sinjoh ruins in Heart Gold and Soul Silver.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Vinylshadow posted:

How could you forget Dugtrio and Dodrio

OK swap Slowbro for Alolan Dugtrio.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Platinum had the best postgame and Black was the best single player game.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The biggest Pokémon team is 6 Wishiwashi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

absolutely anything posted:

the best pokemon game is Pokémon Black Version, op

Hell yeah!!

Gen 5 revived my interest after Diamond nearly lost me. I still haven't played platinum.