Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

solarjetman posted:

I absolutely adore that chart party. One could argue, though, that none of those punts is as sad as kicking a field goal on 4th and 1 from the 6, down 4, with 5 minutes left in a game. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201812150den.htm

He's talking punts, not field goals.

e: Also, are you Greg Easterbrook or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Chris Kluwe respondes to Chart Party (transcribing the 5 tweets)

quote:

This is a fantastic piece by the fantastic @jon_bois, but I have to regretfully inform you that he did not, in fact, find the SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD.

How do I know?

Because I, under duress, perpetrated the SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD in 2008.

https://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2008092807/2008/REG4/vikings@titans

Now, when you first look at this game recap, you might think to yourself "How can that final Vikings possession be THE SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD? That was a girthy, 56 yard chonk with no return! Quite a punt, my good man!"

Ahh, but you see, the devil's always in the details.

On that final punt, the score was 30-17. This meant we needed not only to drive down and score, we needed to do it twice.

Now let me draw your attention to the time remaining. The time of the punt was 2:00, putting it coming out of the two minute warning.

Now for the piece de resistance.

We had no timeouts left.

Punting in that situation would effectively end the game without us ever seeing the ball again, and yes indeed, Tennessee's final possession was three straight kneeldowns.

Now for the piece de resistance.

We had no timeouts left.

Punting in that situation would effectively end the game without us ever seeing the ball again, and yes indeed, Tennessee's final possession was three straight kneeldowns.

*This* punt, I think you'll all agree with me, now that you know the details, is THE SADDEST PUNT IN THE WORLD. Thank you for listening.

lol Brad Childress

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

iospace posted:

He's talking punts, not field goals.

e: Also, are you Greg Easterbrook or something?

Post is about 3000 words short of an Easterbrook

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
lmao

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/1098279667231064064

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Kalli posted:

lol Brad Childress

Wonder what the spread was. Or maybe someone had a prop bet.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GD_American posted:

Wonder what the spread was. Or maybe someone had a prop bet.

I was going to joke that that'd make sense considering he also scalped Superbowl Tickets.

But no, that was another Vikings coach, Mike Tice.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

lol Brad Childress

Did they have some sneaky play up their sleeves for forcing a turn over during a punt???? Or was he just praying for muff?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I thought that chart party was boring as hell, and the other goon was right that it should've been cut down a bit. Just not into it like I am some of his stuff

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Play posted:

I thought that chart party was boring as hell, and the other goon was right that it should've been cut down a bit. Just not into it like I am some of his stuff

he's really precious with everything he does. I loved 17776 but even that could have used a more judicious editor. god bless him and his success, I just think he could be even better with some restraint

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/Rotoworld_FB/status/1098323920086654977?s=19

Hell yeah

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Incoming shirtless pic on Instagram. You know it's the steelers talking poo poo

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

editors note: absolutely count out touchdown tom in 2018 cause big dick nick mushroom stamped his kid kissing lips

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I'm hearing Landon Collins has or has not cleared out his locker, may Zorp guide him to Kansas City if true.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Year of the thicc back

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm hearing Landon Collins has or has not cleared out his locker, may Zorp guide him to Kansas City if true.

He confirmed on twitter that he had, saying that the rest of the poo poo in his locker he doesn't want anyways

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fat Jesus posted:

Omg we need the best safety in the league in Seattle. Give him all the money.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/leveonbell/status/1098331330574774273?s=21

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Play posted:

He confirmed on twitter that he had, saying that the rest of the poo poo in his locker he doesn't want anyways

To be clear, emmy winning ESPN contributor says he cleaned out his locker, smug NY Post beat reporter says oh actually that's not true at all he has not and then Landon Collins himself says yeah I did I don't need any of that poo poo I left, severely burning NY Post reporter and embarrassing him in front of God and Country, much to the chagrin of Giants fans who lost their poo poo, then said whew that was close, then lost their poo poo 3x as hard.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

I dunno what this dude wanted from the Steelers. It's not as if they low balled him.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ehud posted:

lol

I dunno what this dude wanted from the Steelers. It's not as if they low balled him.

What every ex-Steeler wants. To get away from Ben.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've waffled a lot between my hatred of the Steelers, my instinct to side with players over owners and my dislike of every single thing Bell says or tweets. Like comparing not getting enough guaranteed money to slavery.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Ehud posted:

lol

He got low balled on the guaranteed money part of his contract for sure

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

lol

He wanted guaranteed money. It was pretty simple; running backs have a short lifespan and the contracts the Steelers were offering him would pay him handsomely...except everyone knew they'd run him ragged and he'd never see most of that money because it wasn't guaranteed. He didn't want to accept a deal where he bears the entire risk of injury and wear and tear, especially because that just incentivizes the steelers to use him up then throw him out early.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DariusLikewise posted:

He got low balled on the guaranteed money part of his contract for sure

Wasn’t it like 33 million guaranteed

That’s a ton for an RB

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ehud posted:

Wasn’t it like 33 million guaranteed

That’s a ton for an RB

The only guaranteed part was the $10 million signing bonus. It was $33 million over the first two years.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I thought it was like 10 mil guaranteed in the first year and then the Steelers were off the hook for the rest? I'm not 100% clear on it but I know it wasn't a lot upfront considering what he thought he was worth as a player.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What every ex-Steeler wants. To get away from Ben.

That too

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

evilweasel posted:

The only guaranteed part was the $10 million signing bonus. It was $33 million over the first two years.

oh yeah that’s pretty terrible lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Durandal1707 posted:

I thought it was like 10 mil guaranteed in the first year and then the Steelers were off the hook for the rest? I'm not 100% clear on it but I know it wasn't a lot upfront considering what he thought he was worth as a player.

That too

It seems like it had some odd "guarantees" that weren't fully leaked (or if they were, I didn't find them) and that would phase in over time, but were probably just basically a requirement the team cut him before FA started if they wanted to cut him that year. It was nothing but a one-year contract with loads of team options.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
No, that's incorrect. The first year of his salary plus the $10mil were guaranteed, which would have been $24mil. Everyone poo poo on the Steelers for that bc Gurley got $45mil in rolling guarantees, which were actually $21mil in real guarantees.

Anyway, Le'Veon Bell came into the league at 245lbs, and really wasn't any good until his 2nd year when he dropped to 220lbs at Tomlin's request. If he's up over 260, good luck with that

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was a totally bullshit contract. Like, they absolutely did not expect him to sign it because no agent would but inflated the total amount to make chuds turn on him and call him greedy, which they did.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

No, that's incorrect. The first year of his salary plus the $10mil were guaranteed, which would have been $24mil. Everyone poo poo on the Steelers for that bc Gurley got $45mil in rolling guarantees, which were actually $21mil in real guarantees.

Anyway, Le'Veon Bell came into the league at 245lbs, and really wasn't any good until his 2nd year when he dropped to 220lbs at Tomlin's request. If he's up over 260, good luck with that

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1019324630425915394

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Oh cool, so Gurley accepted basically the same contract.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
He better show up and blow doors that’s all I know.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Oh cool, so Gurley accepted basically the same contract.

gurley got double the signing bonus, and i don't see where you're getting the first-year salary in that deal because usually it's pretty low in year one if there's a signing bonus, so assuming it's 14m seems wrong

gurley also would have had to get cut after year 1 to avoid his year 3 being guaranteed, so you couldn't cut him between year 2 and 3 so that's enhanced security (not fully guaranteed but it's better than not guaranteed) compared to what is by all accounts the steeler's refusal to do more than year-by-year contracts, so i would doubt they offered him something similar

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 20, 2019

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Gurley got a 21 million dollar signing bonus

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
What is a “rolling guarantee?”
Is that one of those “it’s guaranteed unless we cut you”?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

evilweasel posted:

gurley got double the signing bonus, and i don't see where you're getting the first-year salary in that deal because usually it's pretty low in year one if there's a signing bonus, so assuming it's 14m seems wrong

He still would have gotten the franchise tag money

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

DariusLikewise posted:

Gurley got a 21 million dollar signing bonus

and $45m guaranteed

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

kiimo posted:

and $45m guaranteed

They weren't real guarantees

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

wyoak posted:

What is a “rolling guarantee?”
Is that one of those “it’s guaranteed unless we cut you”?

it becomes guaranteed if you're not cut by a certain date (usually around march) but what's really important is if it's just that next year that gets guaranteed (which is just a "you must cut me early if you want to cut me, so i have plenty of time to get signed to a new team") or if additional years beyond that get guaranteed (which is sort of a team option for a new contract that contains additional guarantees)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

They weren't real guarantees

they weren't real, but they weren't entirely fake:

quote:

$21.95M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2018 salary)
2019 salary fully guarantees on 3/15/2019
2020 Roster Bonus: $7.55M (guarantees 3/15/2019)
2020 salary fully guarantees on 3/15/2019

basically the contract had an out if he was wretched in 2018 and got cut, but if he wasn't bad enough to get cut by march 15 of this year, his next two years become guaranteed. so that's some actual security that's between a fully guaranteed contract and a "every year is a team option" contract. if bell's contract offer had any of that stuff the guarantees beyond the bonus wouldn't just be trash, but if they only guaranteed for that year they'd be complete trash.