Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I remember even 4chan checking out on Wolf Guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
akumetsu is still fun even if it goes off the rails a bit nearer to the end. THe politicians involved aren't even that different from the current tories except instead of a ferry company with no boats its constructing a highway nobody is going to use

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah Akumetsu was loving great because it never for a single second de-escalated or slowed down at all. It was a fun time watching the insane poo poo happen and there was a kind of collective agreement nobody was going to say "wait this is just trashy schlock". Then, as mentioned, Wolf Guy happened.

I'm less familiar with whether Mazinger Zero is their fault too or whether Go Nagai was operating on that level of horny.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 15, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Pierson posted:

Yeah Akumetsu was loving great because it never for a single second de-escalated or slowed down at all. It was a fun time watching the insane poo poo happen and there was a kind of collective agreement nobody was going to say "wait this is just trashy schlock". Then, as mentioned, Wolf Guy happened.

I'm less familiar with whether Mazinger Zero is their fault too or whether Go Nagai was operating on that level of horny.

Go Nagai operates on the highest level of horny.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pierson posted:

Go Nagai is a man for whom an everyday superhero is a naked lady who lands crotch-first into villain's faces to take them out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I remember when Akumetsu had an assassination where a guy going to supposedly rescue a politician in danger ran a firetruck through a building to kill them.

Akumetsu owned.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The only thing anyone should ever see of Wolf Guy is the panel of the villain looking like a fifty year old glam rock wannabe saying "Yakuza? That's my pops, I'm still in middle School".

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
So many series across the world would make so much more sense if they were just set in college and not high school.

Edit: Not even that, it was set in middle-school! Isn't that like 12-15? I changed my mind that loving rules to just say that and power on through.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Feb 16, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Irritated Goat posted:

Thank you for bestowing Kine-san unto me.

You're very welcome. It's been one of my favorite series for a while now. It helps Kine herself is pretty relatable. I mean, I acted exactly the same way when Fury Road came out.

doomrider7 posted:

Read it yesterday. LOVED that chapter better than most anything I've read this month since I 100% get where Kine is coming from.

It does feel very true to life in some respects.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

You're very welcome. It's been one of my favorite series for a while now. It helps Kine herself is pretty relatable. I mean, I acted exactly the same way when Fury Road came out.

It does feel very true to life in some respects.

Typed a sentence then deleted it. Basically, yeah they can be thought provoking, but don't think THAT hard about Superhero fiction. If you do, you're doing the medium wrong.

Arbitrary Number
Nov 10, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Typed a sentence then deleted it. Basically, yeah they can be thought provoking, but don't think THAT hard about Superhero fiction. If you do, you're doing the medium wrong.

by saying that you're besmirching the name of supermechagodzilla, greatest analyst of our time

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Huh, this was a bit of a surprise, it looks like the group who scanlates March Lion released one for the next chapter in the magazine: 154

I don't know if it's a one-off or the new normal going forward (previously they would wait until the tankobon was released).

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I lost interest in Akumetsu, when a protaganist's murder rampage was supposed to be justified by a bank being completely reasonable and turning down a small business loan.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I lost interest in Akumetsu, when a protaganist's murder rampage was supposed to be justified by a bank being completely reasonable and turning down a small business loan.

(It's not supposed to be justified, dude(s) is nuts)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've not read anything by go nagai. What order should i do stuff in?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Start with Devilman.

Shutendoji, Violence Jack and Guerrilla High if you dig Devilman.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uncle go is all about sex and violence. the violence part of his work has aged decently well. the sex part, not so much.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Huh, this was a bit of a surprise, it looks like the group who scanlates March Lion released one for the next chapter in the magazine: 154

I don't know if it's a one-off or the new normal going forward (previously they would wait until the tankobon was released).

In the comments it sounds like they're going chapter-by-chapter and the next one is coming 'soon.' Which is good because I'd hate to be left on that ending for 10 months.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what about the mazinger series?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The Mazinger manga is decent but you can tell it was a means to an end. Namely Go Nagai wanted his own robot anime.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Darth Walrus posted:

People talk up Akumetsu a lot, but I'll be honest, 'vigilante fantasy by the people who did Wolf Guy' is not a hugely compelling pitch.

do you like seeing terrible people get completely wrecked? read Akumetsu

everyone gave Wolf Guy a shot on the strength of Akumetsu being loving amazing, if that tells you anything

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

everyone gave Wolf Guy a shot on the strength of Akumetsu being loving amazing, if that tells you anything

I think a lot of people just really loved Wolf Guy before the whole rape thing. (I never thought it was good)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I very distinctly remember the initial hype being "OH poo poo NEW THING BY THE AKUMETSU GUYS"

And then it got really rapey and that hype died

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Just a reminder that Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is updating regularly again, although we're now into a seemingly lengthy flashback / alternate universe / time travel arc. I'm finding it interesting but confusing.

The art always blows me away after reading pretty much anything else and then clicking a DDD chapter. Posting a panel or page feels too spoiler-y, so instead here's Asano's take on realistic Ontan and Kadode (at least I assume he drew this? Could be guest art I suppose).

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
read UFO Robo Grendizer its really good

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mentat Radnor posted:

Just a reminder that Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction is updating regularly again, although we're now into a seemingly lengthy flashback / alternate universe / time travel arc. I'm finding it interesting but confusing.

The art always blows me away after reading pretty much anything else and then clicking a DDD chapter. Posting a panel or page feels too spoiler-y, so instead here's Asano's take on realistic Ontan and Kadode (at least I assume he drew this? Could be guest art I suppose).

Dead dead demons is sooo loving good but every time I get really invested it goes on hiatus again, so every time it resumes updating I start wondering if I should catch up or just wait for the series to end and binge it all at once.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Saw this posted on twitter but can't seem to find anything on it in english

https://ynjn.jp/app/title?tid=729

Baki but with Muscle ladies?

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So....Teppu?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Secondary pick: Satome Senshu.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
All Rounder Meguru. It's a MMA manga mostly focusing on guys, but the ladies are also very cool and get to do some badass fighting too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tangents posted:

In the comments it sounds like they're going chapter-by-chapter and the next one is coming 'soon.' Which is good because I'd hate to be left on that ending for 10 months.
Hate no longer~

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Origin is a serious series that employs a philosophical and scientifically grounded approach to the Sentient AI question.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Speaking of Origin, this is probably the funniest panel layout I've ever seen: https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/origin/en/0/81/page/7 :nws:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

Speaking of Origin, this is probably the funniest panel layout I've ever seen: https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/origin/en/0/81/page/7 :nws:

The dialogue is pretty funny too, but I dont think it's supposed to be...

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It looks like Origin just finished.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the author's already known for being terrible endings but this feels like it was given the signal to wrap it up

oh well it was cool while it lasted

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

New To Your Eternity and it's a doozy

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Just binged through all of what’s been translated of 67% Inertia, a slice of life gag manga similar to the golden age of Genshiken: where lazy, virgin uni students kill time in a tiny room.

I was originally put off by the fanservice but learning the mangaka is a woman made it feel a lot less creepy imo.

the dick jokes are solid no pun intended i give it my big rubber stamp of approval: https://mangadex.org/title/15911

e: is a bit NSFW

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 10, 2019

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Politely requesting goon recommendations of “bumbling young adults sit around” manga for me to read. thanks in game boy advanced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Genshiken.

(Do not read the sequel, Genshiken Nidaime.)