Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Dupes can research sinks, yet walk past them in order to go to an old-timey hand pump to fetch water for maggot-cakes.

Dupes have to research plastics either by refining oil or ranching / breeding dreckos in order to construct traps to relocate pacu, as they are unable to just pick the loving things off the floor as they magikarp around out of water, go over to a body of water, and throw the loving thing in.

Dupes, man. Fuckin' dupes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Dupes will construct blocks that will encase their own heads without complaint.

Dupes will stand on burning surfaces until dead.

Dupes have an almost instinctual need to soil themselves next to clean water reservoirs.

Dupes will stroll around in a vacuum directly absorbing cosmic radiation and then feel happy about it.

Dupes will devour muckroot and liceloaf despite having access to peppernut bread in the same container.

Dupes will abandon dying patients to haul something to a storage container.

Dupes will run to the farthest parts of the base to pick up something vitally important, take two steps, then drop it because they got hungry.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
In short, Dupes is Stupes

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Dupes are carbon copies of real people's bodies and preferences and aptitudes but none of the common sense or memories.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Here is the AETN based SPOM that I use. Note that it will over pressure your base if you aren't careful

https://www.reddit.com/link/a2tdnd/video/wma0wlgah4221/player

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

How can I add automation to this so that when the geyser goes dormant the pump will stop pumping? I know it'll eventually stop pumping when the water stops but I'd like to learn more about automating stuff and I thought this could be a good example. All help appreciated.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Mayveena posted:

How can I add automation to this so that when the geyser goes dormant the pump will stop pumping? I know it'll eventually stop pumping when the water stops but I'd like to learn more about automating stuff and I thought this could be a good example. All help appreciated.
Two ways that I see. When the geyser is on the pressure in the room goes up, right? When you pump the water out, there is more space and the air pressure goes down. Hook up a pump to a pressure sensor to only run above a specific amount. Or, there's a sensor that's on when wet i think so attach that to the top of the pool and it'll only run on the overflow. The second option is more reliable and direct.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
You can’t tie it directly to the geyser but the hydro sensor works by turning on/off at the designated water level in a tile. Tiles hold 1000kg, so set it to active above say 500kg in one of the water tiles and the pump will only run when the tile is over halfway full. Pools are a shared quantity so the total water is changed/accounted for like reality. Use the below setting when you want to only have a certain amount in a pool, like turning off oil refineries when you hit a set amount of stored petro in your tank.

And as always the limit on automation is your creativity, you can gate the inputs however you need, those are just the two basic uses.

EDIT: Another option I use regularly is using the geyser calc to know the averaged output of the geyser, say 2.1kg/s. I then attach a valve right after the pump and limit the flow to something >=2100g. You’ll never exceed the geyser output this way. This is how I dictate the flow to my electrolyzers through the cooling line and make sure it never backs up too far, keeping the cold water from stagnating in the pipe and transferring heat improperly. Electryzers only get the exact amounts they need to stay at 100% uptime. Little finicky over the long term as the amount needed varies in practice but works well overall.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Feb 19, 2019

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Good news everyone, you can now buy the game on the Epic store!: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/oxygen-not-included

Huzzah.

Edit: I also assume it just downloaded QoL Update Mark 2 on live.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 19, 2019

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hopefully we can go back to real content additions now

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

hopefully we can go back to real content additions now

They are done with content additions as we know them. The next QOL release is in eight weeks and I suspect a 1.0 release isn't far after that. After release I would hope they'd do some DLC though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mayveena posted:

They are done with content additions as we know them. The next QOL release is in eight weeks and I suspect a 1.0 release isn't far after that. After release I would hope they'd do some DLC though.

I'd trade every DLC in the world for as much mod support as, say, Rimworld has. Unleash the power of the nerd hordes and let them sort it out.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mayveena posted:

They are done with content additions as we know them.

That would be a shame since there are major areas of the game (e.g. germs) that feel unfinished/abandoned.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I expected an actual end at some point like rimworld with the ship.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

socialsecurity posted:

I expected an actual end at some point like rimworld with the ship.

They seemed to hint there’s more to the shattered earth that has a force field. I would hope so!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

That would be a shame since there are major areas of the game (e.g. germs) that feel unfinished/abandoned.

They stated they were done with major content additions just after the patch that preceded the first QOL patch. Maybe start a discussion about it on their forums?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have barely even gotten into using automation after 100 hours in the game, I still have a ton of content to look forward to.. :haw:

~me watching a streamer video with cargo conveyors~”What are thooooooose?!?”

Really the thing I would love they add would be cooperative multiplayer. That’d be so drat cool.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They'll probably continue to add stuff just later. They're doing the QoL stuff to polish before release so they can start DLC most likely. I had a lot of crashes when I was playing more so I appreciate the effort to go back and clean it up, especially if the next QoL stuff do some of the things they addressed in the beginning of the QoL phase about adding things they kind of passed by to existing systems. At the same time I'll always take more and hope this game has as much DLC as Don't Starve seems to, but honestly this game seems very well received so I'm pretty sure we will see it in time.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Something I've been hoping they'll do is revamp how all the pre-rocketry research works. I found rocketry research (and also research in Factorio) much more satisfying because you have to use the things you're researching in order to progress in the research tree, which both makes you appreciate the value of the thing you just researched and forces you to understand it at least at a basic level before you can proceed. For almost everything else in the game (save for the super computer) once you've researched it, you just throw that tech onto the pile and move on to the next one. I found myself entirely forgetting I had researched some things because the game never pushed me to engage with them in any way.

Like, one way they could do it is to make it so that research requires more materials (in small amounts) as you get further into the tree. Once you've researched gas pumps, a gas hookup appears on the research station and all of the techs past that in the tree require a little bit of oxygen pumped in. Once you have metal refining, every tech past that requires a small amount of refined metal, and so on. That could also have the cool side effect of turning your research center into a mad science lab with a bunch of pipes and machinery all over, instead of two stations that you stick in a room somewhere.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Triarii posted:

Something I've been hoping they'll do is revamp how all the pre-rocketry research works. I found rocketry research (and also research in Factorio) much more satisfying because you have to use the things you're researching in order to progress in the research tree, which both makes you appreciate the value of the thing you just researched and forces you to understand it at least at a basic level before you can proceed. For almost everything else in the game (save for the super computer) once you've researched it, you just throw that tech onto the pile and move on to the next one. I found myself entirely forgetting I had researched some things because the game never pushed me to engage with them in any way.

Like, one way they could do it is to make it so that research requires more materials (in small amounts) as you get further into the tree. Once you've researched gas pumps, a gas hookup appears on the research station and all of the techs past that in the tree require a little bit of oxygen pumped in. Once you have metal refining, every tech past that requires a small amount of refined metal, and so on. That could also have the cool side effect of turning your research center into a mad science lab with a bunch of pipes and machinery all over, instead of two stations that you stick in a room somewhere.

That's a really cool idea. Imagine the Frankenstein creation of a research lab with all the bits coming in.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Triarii posted:

I actually like the fact that the game doesn't push you. For casual players like me, I can research stuff and say in my head 'someday' :).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mazz posted:

They'll probably continue to add stuff just later. They're doing the QoL stuff to polish before release so they can start DLC most likely. I had a lot of crashes when I was playing more so I appreciate the effort to go back and clean it up, especially if the next QoL stuff do some of the things they addressed in the beginning of the QoL phase about adding things they kind of passed by to existing systems. At the same time I'll always take more and hope this game has as much DLC as Don't Starve seems to, but honestly this game seems very well received so I'm pretty sure we will see it in time.

They said they have one more feature and content update that they will release at launch.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

They said they have one more feature and content update that they will release at launch.

Hmm, will it be tested though? I'd not expect much if they originally release it at launch.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Sillybones posted:

That's a really cool idea. Imagine the Frankenstein creation of a research lab with all the bits coming in.

I always thought they just shoved all that research-dirt into their mouths and chewed it thoughtfully.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The two main things I want are steam cloud saves and an ipad version. I don’t even have an ipad but hell I’d get one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm just hoping this game won't end up like Don't Starve where the developer decides to fork the codebase and spend a year adding multiplayer support to it, and they end up with two versions of the game, one SP and one MP.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
I remember in my first game I saw them delivering dirt to my Research Station and I said "this makes sense because I'm researching agriculture, that's pretty neat", but then it turned out every tech needed dirt and it seemed less neat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mechanical Ape posted:

I remember in my first game I saw them delivering dirt to my Research Station and I said "this makes sense because I'm researching agriculture, that's pretty neat", but then it turned out every tech needed dirt and it seemed less neat.

Yeah, it'd be great if each tech had its own material requirements. Needing copper to research power stuff would make sense, for example.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I like that idea. By the time I'm just getting out of the starting biome I have so much stuff researched that it doesn't even matter. I just click the longest chain so they keep working.

Needing something like oil or different gases for later researches adds some interesting gates and forces you to explore more and build out more infrastructure early.

Or maybe I should be storing all the chlorine and hydrogen I come across? I mostly just keep it outside of my main base.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is there a way to train new dupes through the research jobs they need to become astronauts if you've already completed all/too much of the research tree?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They don't need to do research related things to master the science jobs, only to gain learning skill points. I.E. A dupe in a scientist job will get skill points for cooking while cooking, but any activity they do advances the scientist job mastery. Anyone can take any job and master it, there's no restrictions there other than the dupe lockouts (yokel etc) and no mastery of the previous tier.

On a side note, you want to aim for dupes with high learning as a base skill because it makes all skill gains come faster. A guy with 1 mining and 4 learning will probably be at level 10 mining around the same time as a guy with 4 mining and 1 learning, but also 40% more skill gains in every other category too. It's why you should cycle everyone through at least the first 2 ranks of scientist, the third if you want but I tend to limit that so I can better see my astronaut pool since I don't send everyone anyway and past like 7-9 learning on everyone you're probably hitting the skill caps soon anyway.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Feb 20, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Dumb question, but once a dupe has mastered a job and you move them they can still do the other job at the same level? Especially in the case of digging, can still dig the diamond tiles out etc.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

priznat posted:

Dumb question, but once a dupe has mastered a job and you move them they can still do the other job at the same level? Especially in the case of digging, can still dig the diamond tiles out etc.

Yes.

They also retain all traits from a mastered job, so cycling your dupes around to different jobs is a very good idea.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

priznat posted:

yes, if a job is 100% mastered then they keep the perks no matter what other job you assign later on. You can have everyone learn everything, eventually.

They also keep the morale requirement for the highest-tier job they've mastered, so be prepared for that.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
The special skills they learn, like the higher level mining skill and the job skill reward (+2 strength and 800kg carry capacity for courier, etc) they keep when mastered, yeah. You should cycle everyone through all the basic task jobs, and avoid dupes who can't do things like mining or digging for that reason, at least IMO. Cooking and Art are the only jobs to really specialize a dupe in (sporadic skill points so you want 1-2 dupes to skill up), and early research so it's done faster. Everyone else should really do everything in time, there's no reason to specialize past those few things.

e:fb

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 21, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Cool thanks. I’ve been doing that just so I always have a dupe with a digging job but it’s extra nice that they retain it too.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Well, I went to play mk2 and my niece ended up knocking my laptop to the floor by being a klutz, so right now I'm not a huge fan of the mk2 upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The “have some stuff instead of a dupe you don’t want” thing is kind of neat.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

The “have some stuff instead of a dupe you don’t want” thing is kind of neat.

Yeah, it's good.

IMO they should also make it so that rejecting a batch reduces the time until next batch (down to 2 cycles, maybe?). Because right now there is no reason to not choose something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Eh, I started a new colony earlier today and once my best choice was some sandstone. Another time it was a puft egg or something similar. Those are basically just litter in cycle 30.

Granted shortly after that it was a decent chunk of gold, which was handy.