Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Cease to Hope posted:

Huh. The dude with the non-white accent is infantilized, while a white child is supernaturally competent. Interesting.

they're both supernatural you ding dong, that's why anakin spinning like a doof and blowing up a spaceship happens at the same time as jar jar blowing up tanks and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Huh. The dude with the non-white accent is infantilized, while a white child is supernaturally competent. Interesting.

Jar Jar's just as competent, name one thing that he fails to set out to do. It's interesting that you think the white child is "supernaturally competent" tho considering his failure at talking the jedi into saving his mother, or talking the jedi into freeing the slaves despite his prophetic vision that they would. Very interesting, indeed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

You are certainly a busy bee so I apologise for bringing up this old post. My question was: why would you bring up Watto there, it makes zero sense as a rebuttal to the comparison the other poster made.

Because he was suggesting an alternate thematic connection for Nute, Jar Jar, and Watto than the ones I was using, that's all.

ruddiger posted:

Jar Jar's just as competent, name one thing that he fails to set out to do.

he fails to eat, he covers himself in oil with an oil can, he gets his hand stuck in anakin's engine

look go back and reread the posts answering your dumbass questions and stop wasting my time

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2019

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cease to Hope posted:

If you can't remember a single time Jar-Jar screws things up in TPM, consider not participating in discussions about TPM.

In a film where Qui-gon Jinn mission to negotiate a settlement provokes a full scale invasion of a planet, "makes a huge mess of Watto's shop" does not qualify as screwing up.

You're overlooking Qui-gon Jinn's screw up (which, to reemphasize, caused a war) but coming down hard on Jar Jar for being a little clumsy and not having perfect social etiquette. You're coming down so hard on Jar Jar that you're saying it's justified to deny that he's even a thinking being.

Why?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

Jar Jar isn't infantilized. Being curious and clumsy isn't the same as being an infant. Put another way, Jar Jar isn't dumb.

It's wild that you're making exactly the same mistake Qui-Gon does in the narrative and exactly the thing Best was commentating on in his performance: you're making assumptions about him because of how he looks and talks instead of actually seeing what he does

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

In a film where Qui-gon Jinn mission to negotiate a settlement provokes a full scale invasion of a planet, "makes a huge mess of Watto's shop" does not qualify as screwing up.

You're overlooking Qui-gon Jinn's screw up (which, to reemphasize, caused a war) but coming down hard on Jar Jar for being a little clumsy and not having perfect social etiquette. You're coming down so hard on Jar Jar that you're saying it's justified to deny that he's even a thinking being.

Why?

It's because he's "made peace" with the fact that Qui Gon's point of view is just considered right by virtue of coming from the white perspective establishment, and there's nothing he can do see, it's just the way it is and he's made peace with it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
"TPM depicts people with accents as pathetic and greedy."

"When does it do that?"

"Well, they must be pathetic and greedy, the white character said so. And besides, they have accents!"

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Cease to Hope posted:

Because he was suggesting an alternate thematic connection for Nute, Jar Jar, and Watto than the ones I was using, that's all.

he fails to eat, he covers himself in oil with an oil can, he gets his hand stuck in anakin's engine

look go back and reread the posts answering your dumbass questions and stop wasting my time

I'd like you to expand on jar jar being a clown, since that'd be actually interesting, but you'd probably gently caress that up too

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Schwarzwald posted:

coming down hard on Jar Jar for being a little clumsy and not having perfect social etiquette.

While at the same time cutting Qui-Gon slack (like you said) for things like mocking Anakin to his face ("perhaps I killed a Jedi and took it from him :smug: " and spending essentially the entirety of the Tatooine trip lying and swindling (not to mention condescending to Padme)

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

"When does it do that?"

"Well, they must be pathetic and greedy, the white character said so. And besides, they have accents!"

Nobody ever says this in the film.

You seem quite mad at that straw Cease with all his conveniently dumb arguments.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Jar Jar isn't infantilized. Being curious and clumsy isn't the same as being an infant. Put another way, Jar Jar isn't dumb.

infantilized means to be childlike, not to be like a literal infant.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

they're both supernatural you ding dong, that's why anakin spinning like a doof and blowing up a spaceship happens at the same time as jar jar blowing up tanks and poo poo

the same thing is happening but the two scenes are framed quite differently.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Your weird skewed take with legitimizing labels and branding, and your perceived superior position in all this, is starting to make a lot of sense when you repeatedly try to employ terms like this and "anglophone".

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2019

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cease to Hope posted:

Nobody ever says [aliens are pathetic and greedy] in the film.

Obiwan, referring to Anakin and JarJar: "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

Quigon, referring to Watto: "Greed can be a very powerful ally."

You keep making big, obvious mistakes because you are absolutely unconcerned with whether what you write is true or not.

The question becomes why you are quite deliberately muddying the waters around the topic of racism.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obiwan, referring to Anakin and JarJar: "Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic life form?"

anakin is an alien now?

ruddiger posted:

Your weird skewed take with legitimizing labels and branding, and your perceived superior position in all this, is starting to make a lot of sense when you repeatedly try to employ terms like this and "anglophone".

your lack of knowledge of words like anglophone beyond googling the dictionary definition seems like your own problem.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 20, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

anakin is an alien now?

Are you honestly saying you do not know what the definition of an alien is? jfc

Also, way to ignore his point that you've been caught in another fallacy.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cease to Hope posted:

anakin is an alien now?

That's the joke Obiwan is making, yes.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ruddiger posted:

Also, way to ignore his point that you've been caught in another fallacy.

He's accusing me of being factually incorrect, not of errors in logic. Fallacy seems to be another word you have trouble with.

In any case, my argument does not and never has rested on the idea that characters are greedy or pathetic because Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan say so.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

You make a whole lot of assumptions about who I am or where I come from,

No one's stopping you from sharing personal anecdotes in regards to where you're from and how that shaped your views in regards to racism, I've shared several personal stories to back up my thoughts and positions. You've made mention that you may have watched Flash Gordon and know of Ming the Merciless, but that's about it.

Cease to Hope posted:

In any case, my argument does not and never has rested on the idea that characters are greedy or pathetic because Qui-Gon or Obi-Wan say so.

This is suspiciously close to "it's not racist if it's true" logic.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I happen to enjoy my privacy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That's a pretty cowardly reply, especially when we're trying to get at the heard of an honest look at racism.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ruddiger posted:

This is suspiciously close to "it's not racist if it's true" logic.

Cease to Hope posted:

"Are you saying people with accents are pathetic and greedy?"

:shuckyes:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For what it's worth, it's actually the long pointed fingers that put Gunray over the top for me and make it so I would be shocked if Lucas at no point saw a Fu Manchu resemblance to Newt Gunray.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As long as you're "at peace" with it, I guess.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Weird flex but ok

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Weird flex but ok

and he's still ignoring the fact that he just admitted to not knowing what an alien is while questioning other(!!!) people's use of textbook definitions.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

anakin is an alien now?

The key word being "another". He's calling Jar Jar pathetic

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

The key word being "another". He's calling Jar Jar pathetic

Okay. Jar Jar is pathetic, throughout the movie. Even characters who have no reason to be racist against him see him that way.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cease to Hope posted:

Okay. Jar Jar is pathetic, throughout the movie. Even characters who have no reason to be racist against him see him that way.

yes, and they're wrong to do so

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

Anakin never holds any kind of racist judgement over Jar Jar (gee, I wonder why). Roos Tarpals follows his lead during the battle. Obi Wan greets him as an equal and a friend at the start of Episode II.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

I mean, I could link this whole chain of replies that started with you saying "nobody says this in the film" but I expect you're just being deliberately obtuse so oh well

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

have no reason to be racist against him

What on earth is this? What are the reasons for someone to be racist?

But furthermore, you're like actually super duper close to the entire point, which is that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in universe are treating him just like you are

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cease to Hope posted:

Okay. Jar Jar is pathetic, throughout the movie.

No, Jar Jar behaves heroically throughout.

You perceive him as pathetic because the Jedi behave as if he were. This is a mistake, because the Jedi are fools.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Gungans amphibious sea creatures, which would explain why Jar Jar is clumsy on land?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Guy A. Person posted:

I mean, I could link this whole chain of replies that started with you saying "nobody says this in the film" but I expect you're just being deliberately obtuse so oh well

I was mistaken to say nobody says it in the film, SMG pointed that out. My argument has never rested on a line I didn't even remember existed; ruddiger was mistaken in suggesting that it was.

McCloud posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Gungans amphibious sea creatures, which would explain why Jar Jar is clumsy on land?

Jar Jar is clumsy in general; he was banished by the Gungans for his clumsiness.

Schwarzwald posted:

No, Jar Jar behaves heroically throughout.

You perceive him as pathetic because the Jedi behave as if he were. This is a mistake, because the Jedi are fools.

It is possible for a hero to be pathetic.

I perceive him as pathetic because he is clumsy, looked down upon by everyone (not just the Jedi), constantly screws up, and constantly makes a mess of everything.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 20, 2019

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

McCloud posted:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obi-Wan: Why were you banished Jar-Jar?
Jar-Jar Binks: It's a longo taleo buta small part of it would be mesa... clumsy
Obi-Wan: You were banished because you were clumsy?
Jar-Jar Binks: Yousa might'n be sayin dat.

Mesa cause one, two-y little bitty axadentes, huh?

("It's on automatic pilot!")

Yud say boom de gasser,

("Oops!")

den crashin der bosses heyblibber,

("Yippee!")

den banished.

("Peace!")

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

edit: Mecha Gorjia did it better than me

Cease to Hope posted:

looked down upon by everyone (not just the Jedi), constantly screws up, and constantly makes a mess of everything.

No, no, no

Show your work at least

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
those are framed quite differently.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

McCloud posted:

According to Cease to Hope, this is a pathetically clumsy creature.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

Well, we don't really know why he was banished, but we can sorta infer

"You were banished because you were clumsy?"
[Jar Jar hems and haws, uncomfortable]
"Uh...you [might say] that"

Jar-Jar brings up clumsiness first. Obi-Wan is replying in shock and confusion, probing Jar-Jar for details.

OBI-WAN : Why were you banished, Jar Jar?
JAR JAR : Tis a long tale, buta small part wawdabe mesa...ooooh...aaaa.....clumsy.
OBI-WAN : They banished you because you're clumsy?
JAR JAR : Mesa cause-ed mabee one or duey lettal bitty axadentes...yud-say boom da gasser, un crash Der Bosses heyblibber...den banished.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hey guys what do you think the most sexually charged star wars movie is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

kidkissinger posted:

Hey guys what do you think the most sexually charged star wars movie is?

christmas special by a lot