Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mega64 posted:

Finally, a good mainline Final Fantasy game.

First time for everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Give Naoki Yoshida FFXVI as a way for him to get release from the eternal grind of churning out FFXIV content imo.

They’re never going to let him stop since FFXIV is probably keeping the drat company afloat at this point but I’d genuinely like to see what he’d do with a single player FF.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Oh no, not protagonist syndrome, whatever will we do.

Hey can you use the words god gave you instead of expecting me to know what tvtropes bullshit you're on about

There's no TV Tropes bullshit; the phrase seemed pretty self-explanatory. But OK, let me explain it: there is no in-world reason why Squall is apparently the only semi-competent person in the world. He's not half moon-man or a Mako-infused super soldier or anything; he's not even ambitious to train hard and become the best- he bitches and complains whenever he's promoted or given responsibility, and spends his free time moping in his bedroom. He's gotten Garden training, but so have 90% of the characters in the story. He's simply the best at everything because he's the main character, and that's lazy and dumb.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Squall doesn't succeed at everything he tries. He messes up a lot because he's extremely in his own head about everything at the start of the game. I can understand how people could be aggravated by him at the start of the game because depressed people can be aggravating, especially when they're rejecting the people who are trying to help them, like Squall does, but giving him a supersoldier backstory or something like that would be dumb.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
yeah it's not like squall is laguna

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never really disliked Squall but I was also an angsty teen. This conversation reminds me that I watched Dawson's Creek again recently and Dawson is actually a full on idiot villain but seemed relatable to a stupid child.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Randallteal posted:

Squall doesn't succeed at everything he tries.

the only time squall doesn't succeed is when he dies, but wakes up later anyway in prison

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

wow how cold of you to forget trabia

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Randallteal posted:

Squall doesn't succeed at everything he tries. He messes up a lot because he's extremely in his own head about everything at the start of the game. I can understand how people could be aggravated by him at the start of the game because depressed people can be aggravating, especially when they're rejecting the people who are trying to help them, like Squall does, but giving him a supersoldier backstory or something like that would be dumb.

I didn't say he succeeds at everything, just that he's better than everyone else. He's constantly being told how great he is at things ("wow, you're the first graduate to ever master the gunblade!" "You are the most attractive man in this entire school so I'll single you out to pester with my attention." "You're an amazingly natural dancer! You performed perfectly without any practice." "We're just going to make you squad leader all the time despite you having a depressive attitude and the motivational and people skills of a shoe." "Only you can go down under the school to figure out how to stop the missiles, for some reason." "I know you just graduated like a week ago, but I'm putting the entire school under your command." "SQUALL! You have to be the one to command all the troops and also save Rinoa and also confront the sorceress! Nobody else can do it don't ask why!"). His "friends" are constantly going out of their way to set him up with Rinoa or get him involved in things despite him usually giving them the cold shoulder. There is an entire school of trained, graduated mercenaries who have years of field experience, and yet nobody ever accomplished anything except Squall, the rookie who just graduated this month. This is, of course, made more apparent by Squall repeatedly asking "why me?" when all this responsibility is dumped on him, but we never get an answer.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
trabia wasn't squall's fault, it was due the incompetence of his away team as usual

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

trabia wasn't squall's fault, it was due the incompetence of his away team as usual

the missiles that hit trabia launched before they split up

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

also the dance thing i remember being a little joke thing since obviously being mercenaries/could be asked to assassinate seeds are trained in dancing

edit: the script on gamefaqs agrees with me, whew

Lessail fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 21, 2019

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ah, I was thinking of this line:

Quistis: "You really are an excellent student. Even that dance was perfect."

I guess I just conflated that with him being all stumbly and awkward at the dance, and then suddenly performing the rest of the dance perfectly.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

yeah my dude squall sucked at a lot but he was a good student and was specifically faced with the kinds of challenges he had studied to overcome

This isn't even subtext it's right there in the drat game

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So had all the other SeeDs, including ones that had been graduated for years and were way more experienced. Why did none of them have any agency? Why did they have to stand around demanding that Squall make decisions for them? Why were all the experienced mercenaries missing for the entire game? Quistis was supposed to be some child prodigy and had been in a leader role for some time, but just like all the rest she couldn't seem to do anything without Squall.

My point is that according to the story he's just another face in a crowd. There's nothing special about him compared to all the other Balamb-trained students. And yet the whole story revolves around him and requires him to be the driving force in the world.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

well cid trying to push squall to be leader has a reason

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Whalley posted:

The best singleplayer Final Fantasies are 6, 8, 10, and 12, and the best multiplayer is 14, so this thread-built 16 is already shaping up to be a fuckin' hoot and a holler i tell you hwhat

this is violence

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

this is violence

13 was good

DrakeD
Jul 9, 2008

Rats in the hallway again!
12 was so bad. I overall liked 13's characters more and that is saying a lot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No, 13 was the best one

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I hate AI controlling my dudes :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've never played 13 because of the bad press and also not assigning the time to it. I've got it on PC I should play it. Do you need to grind much or can you just get railroaded through? I don't want to put in 40 hours or something then hit a tedium barrier.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JBP posted:

I've never played 13 because of the bad press and also not assigning the time to it. I've got it on PC I should play it. Do you need to grind much or can you just get railroaded through? I don't want to put in 40 hours or something then hit a tedium barrier.

I've tried twice and it wasn't so much like playing a game as it was watching a really bad sci-fi movie where they use madeup words as a substitute for a plot/world. Very pretty though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gologle posted:

I was in the shower thinking about FFXV, as you do, and it occured to me that Ardyn being in Insomnia in his episode and fighting Regis and terrorizing the city is a massive retcon
Kind of hoping the city fighting is modern to the game, like right after the wall falls.

Maybe the Young Regis fight is for Ardyn to realize he has to gently caress up Noctis -- but leaves Regis knowing to prepare for the future.

cock hero flux posted:

see you at the FF16 release in 2032, friend
Consistent with lates PS2 releases, the next Ff will be an mmorpg (styled after Stalker and Destiny this time)

Barudak posted:

Update on FFXVI
I like how this is developing!

quote:

The story for this trilogy will be told entirely through a tie-in graphic novel only available at a single Lawson's in Japan.
FUKK U :argh:

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

JBP posted:

Save your time and sanity, play Zodiac Age instead

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JBP posted:

The game is well-balanced if you play as normal and know the tricks (use Sab liberally, swap paradigms every two attacks, etc.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

JBP posted:

The game is about 20-24 hours long if you skip cutscenes/hunts. With cutscens and the first wave of hunts add another 8. It is extremely well paced and theres no way to get lost until 15-20 hours in depending on your speed/cutscene viewing. If you want to beat all hunts add another 20 hours. If you plan to get all achievements add another 20 hours on that.

The story is loving god awful and botches a really good setup, feel free to slam that skip button.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

JBP posted:

Grinding is pointless as stat and ability progression is restricted to story and boss progress. Well, you can start grinding once you get through about 80% of the game but it's optional. For my last run I did a lot of grinding but I didn't do it on my first run. Oddly, one boss (Barthandelus 2) was significantly harder on the run where I grinded. I dunno why.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 21, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

It's really loving basic though.
The story is fairly predictable to a point, the characters are mostly two dimensional, the music is really really bad and it looks and feels like a late PS2 game.

I liked it, but by Act 3 it had overstayed its welcome

Dragon Quest's strength is that it takes a super basic story with uncomplicated, boilerplate but still incredibly charming characters and tells a really fun, good, goofy story with genuinely good character moments and simple, easy to enjoy but hard to master gameplay. Like the dramatic, emotional moments in dq11 resonated a lot more with me than any emotional moment in any final fantasy game
Music loving sucks though I agree

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

My main, petty childish beef with any and all dragon quests is that I hate Toryama’s art. Go to a dungeon, DQ.

I love Chrono Trigger though. I didn’t say my beef made sense.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest makes me feel like ive taken sleeping pills whenever I play one. Theyre just so boring.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
99% of internet beefs are childish complaints by mental babies, that's a given

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Kulkasha posted:

Save your time and sanity, play Zodiac Age instead

corn in the bible posted:

this is violence

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Seriously bruv, every DQ character looks like a turnip with eyes. Or Littleface from Dick Tracy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lessail posted:

well cid trying to push squall to be leader has a reason

Because he (Cid) is an rear end in a top hat

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Seriously bruv, every DQ character looks like a turnip with eyes. Or Littleface from Dick Tracy.

This is the equivalent of BELTS AND ZIPPERS isn't it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I pull the zipper and there’s a Goku behind it.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Dragon Quest's strength is that it takes a super basic story with uncomplicated, boilerplate but still incredibly charming characters and tells a really fun, good, goofy story with genuinely good character moments and simple, easy to enjoy but hard to master gameplay. Like the dramatic, emotional moments in dq11 resonated a lot more with me than any emotional moment in any final fantasy game
Music loving sucks though I agree

I expected more from 11, I admit.

The cast of 8 and the Tension mechanic resonated way more with me,even though the game was way more flawed on its original release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Lol at DQXI looking like a PS2 game. I don't even like Dragon Quest that much, but that game was a graphical showcase and had fantastic art direction for characters, monsters, and environments. It was one of the best looking games that came out last year, and the best use so far for Nvidia's fancy Ansel screenshot tool.