Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NikkolasKing posted:

I got all of DA2's DLC on sale for $11 so that was nice. I got too much other poo poo to do so my fifth run will have to wait but I still saved like $13.

Yay, someone else whose played it more than once! :hfive:

The DLC does add some needed variety to the environments and such. I really enjoyed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Yay, someone else whose played it more than once! :hfive:

The DLC does add some needed variety to the environments and such. I really enjoyed them.

Always awesome to meet fellow fans. :)

The DLC is also a great way to see more of how Carver/Bethany change in Act 2 and 3. I've never done MotA or Legacy with Bethany so this will be something new and interesting. Gonna be playing a Rogue, trying for a "Dodge Tank."

But yeah i love this game. There objectively isn't as much to do here as in the others but I just plain have more fun with the combat in 2 than either DAO or DAI so that helps a lot. Plus I do like the story and characters a lot.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Nvm, I'll comment on stuff once I've actually played it

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Dec 26, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NikkolasKing posted:

Always awesome to meet fellow fans. :)

The DLC is also a great way to see more of how Carver/Bethany change in Act 2 and 3. I've never done MotA or Legacy with Bethany so this will be something new and interesting. Gonna be playing a Rogue, trying for a "Dodge Tank."

But yeah i love this game. There objectively isn't as much to do here as in the others but I just plain have more fun with the combat in 2 than either DAO or DAI so that helps a lot. Plus I do like the story and characters a lot.

I much prefer the story and characters in DA2 to the other games. I do think the third act is undercooked, but everything about the Kunari is just awesome to me and I loved the deep roads adventure.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Cant believe I let my brother trick me into killing my other brother, I'm so dumb

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Do the "on hit" fade touched abilites trigger with skill use? If I put hidden blades on my knight enchanter's staff, will it go off when i use my lightsaber or only when I'm blasting?

I'm actually tempted to use the caltrops one to have even more poo poo out in front of me, with my fire mines and fire wall.

Edit: awww poo poo, that patched out material duping. gently caress trying to grind fade touched mats, i'll be tough enough as is.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 26, 2018

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Soonmot posted:

Do the "on hit" fade touched abilites trigger with skill use? If I put hidden blades on my knight enchanter's staff, will it go off when i use my lightsaber or only when I'm blasting?

I'm actually tempted to use the caltrops one to have even more poo poo out in front of me, with my fire mines and fire wall.

Edit: awww poo poo, that patched out material duping. gently caress trying to grind fade touched mats, i'll be tough enough as is.

When you're blasting.

Guard on hit from the Redcliffe chest is farmable (take the fade touched obsidian, leave the rest or just the gold, zone out and come back). It's cheating but I like guard on hit on everything, so.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm annoyed there isn't a game editor like the fantastic one for the KOTOR games.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm annoyed there isn't a game editor like the fantastic one for the KOTOR games.

Yeah it's very frustrating. I don't know what all goes into making one but I assume it's a real pain in the rear end or outright impossible otherwise someone would have made one. I primarily use Cheat Engine for DA2/DA:I if I want to alter the game state in finer ways than enabled by mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

DA:O has it's own Bioware-released toolset. It's not a good piece of software, and it has a steep learning curve. But its at least still available on the Keep site.
DA:O & DA2's engines were pretty much direct descendants from the Aurora & Odyssey engines. So whole bunch of community-made modding tools for NWN & KotOR could be used for DA:O & DA2. I recall someone even having figured out how to get the KOTOR ToolSet to compile scripts for DA2.
DA:I is its own special beast. Frostbite was never designed to be an open environment. But modders did manage quite a bit.

However all the DA-modding related information & tools I knew off were on the Bioware Social forums and those are gone. I have no idea if the community has saved any of it.:shrug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Raygereio posted:

DA:O has it's own Bioware-released toolset. It's not a good piece of software, and it has a steep learning curve. But its at least still available on the Keep site.
DA:O & DA2's engines were pretty much direct descendants from the Aurora & Odyssey engines. So whole bunch of community-made modding tools for NWN & KotOR could be used for DA:O & DA2. I recall someone even having figured out how to get the KOTOR ToolSet to compile scripts for DA2.
DA:I is its own special beast. Frostbite was never designed to be an open environment. But modders did manage quite a bit.

However all the DA-modding related information & tools I knew off were on the Bioware Social forums and those are gone. I have no idea if the community has saved any of it.:shrug:

It's not like the Bioware forums closed down overnight, I'm sure a lot of the content was saved on tumblr and Nexus. I know the community is still active.

Here's a very cool mod, allowing you to use fade step continuously, massively speeding up travel times. https://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/mods/2054/

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

PetraCore posted:

we did a few DA tabletop campaigns,
HOORAY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE
since there isn't another thread (nor should there be, tbh), do you mind sharing a bit about the campaigns & characters? My experience has been pretty positive with the tabletop game, but I dunno how much of that is attributable to having good players and a great DM who are all enthusiastically and heavily into the lore

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Stroop There It Is posted:

HOORAY I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE
since there isn't another thread (nor should there be, tbh), do you mind sharing a bit about the campaigns & characters? My experience has been pretty positive with the tabletop game, but I dunno how much of that is attributable to having good players and a great DM who are all enthusiastically and heavily into the lore
Well, the two campaigns we've done so far are based out of the book, but we're going to do a third one probably this summer when the GM is not drowning in schoolwork. The characters are fun, though, since we've got 3 elves, a tal-vashoth, and an exiled Tevinter noble who's really just interested in archaeology and happy to be making friends. And my character (one of the elves) is an ex-slave from Tevinter. And the other two elves are an apostate mage and an ex-Templar, respectively, although at least those two have known each other since childhood and are cool with each other. Half the fun is bouncing the characters off each other so the sessions tend to be padded out with a bunch of rp.

I wasn't around for the second campaign bc it was during one of my classes, but overall it's been really fun. The first campaign we did was, uuuh... the one where you're hired to go check out some attacks happening around a village and it turns out to be a Dalish hunter possessed by a rage demon who has also hosed up his entire clan. We also managed to recruit 3 dalish npcs in that one so before a campaign we can choose which to bring along. The second campaign was the mage-templar and lyrium smuggling drama in Orlais, and for the duration of that we just said my character was off doing other stuff with the other two npcs bc she didn't like the initial job.

One thing that's been fun is our GM is willing to fudge the rules a little bit for a more fun experience. In the second campaign the apostate mage, Atish'an, really hosed up one of her spells and ended up possessed by a rage demon, which should have been game over for her, time to make a new character. Instead it's being treated as the possession didn't fully 'take' and there's still a window of time where we can theoretically help her if we can figure out how, but in the meantime her spellcasting is really hosed up and there's a latent demon in her that'll surface if she fucks up enough. Which, given that she specializes in fire-based attack spells that the demon is boosting, can go some fun places, such as accidentally catching the wine cellar we're fighting in on fire.

Another example of the rule fudging is that my character, Kassia, is a rogue with a bard specialization, but the way I'm flavoring her is that she's a not-very-powerful hedge mage who doesn't realize it, so the buffs and stuff she can give with music is how she does magic. The downside to that is the GM has told me if things go south enough she's also going to have to worry about demonic possession, but that's kind of the price you pay in the setting, and it ties into some interesting stuff with her backstory.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I asked this last time it came up but didn’t get a response, could either of you who’ve played the TTRPG give a breakdown of how the game itself actually works and what sets it apart from say 5e d&d or pathfinder? I’m really curious about it.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Epi Lepi posted:

I asked this last time it came up but didn’t get a response, could either of you who’ve played the TTRPG give a breakdown of how the game itself actually works and what sets it apart from say 5e d&d or pathfinder? I’m really curious about it.
Well, it's been a while since I actually played (since I sat out the second campaign), so I can't give a very good breakdown.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Beefstew posted:

Cast barrier before you jump. You'll take no damage. Pro strat.

The actual pro strat is to summon your mount first.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fangz posted:

The actual pro strat is to summon your mount first.

The proest strat is to be on a hill and move around until your companions warp to the top and you swap to them so you don't need to climb it.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Taear posted:

The proest strat is to be on a hill and move around until your companions warp to the top and you swap to them so you don't need to climb it.

One trick I do on Forbidden Oasis is to climb to the top, then put the party on hold position. Then I jump down with my main to grab a shard, and quickly switch back to another party member and walk around a bit. If I time it right (so that my party doesn't teleport and follow me) this can save some walking time (because my PC will teleport back to the party) so I don't have to go all the way around and get back up there to find more shards.

Of course you could also just say gently caress shards but I usually do that quest because I'm a masochist I guess.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

this sounds fun as hell and ty for sharing! I considered going Bard with my dipshit useless noble Orlesian Exile rogue, but he didn't have the prereq for musical instrument playing and the character is currently specifically moving away from his Game-failing roots. Going with Shadow since I do a ton of sneaking/scouting and it's more in line with his ~character arc~. The hedge mage flavoring sounds super cool.

The rest of our team is an alcoholic ex-Carta surface dwarf merc with a deathwish, an increasingly less timid escaped elven Tevinter slave apostate who fuckin loves Mind Blast, and a young human Fereldan woman who was formerly a templar recruit and seems way too nice to be hanging out with the rest of us.

e: why yes, I am using this character as an excuse to do a terrible French accent

Epi Lepi posted:

Oops I think I started writing up a big ol' response to this and never posted it.

It's a 3d6-based system, and there's a mechanic where you specify one of the 3 as the "dragon die". If any of the three dice match on your roll, you get the number of pips on the dragon die in "stunt points", which let you do cool crit-esque poo poo. They've mostly come up in combat for us (e.g. disarming an enemy, extra damage, setting up a bonus for a teammate) but they also have ones for social/roleplaying stunts (e.g. winning over the crowd), exploration (e.g. halving the time a trip segment takes), and magic (e.g. being able to cast another spell right away). Here's a screenshot of the combat ones.

This only has the standard 3 DA classes (mage, rogue, warrior) but at certain levels you can pick up class specializations that work similarly to the video game (and work the same as talents in this). For example, a warrior could become a chevalier or a reaver, etc. Your class gives you particular abilities as you level (like sneak attack for rogues, spellcasting for mages, extra weapon groups for warriors).

The character stats are the standard Dragon Age "abilities": Communication, Constitution, Cunning, Dexterity, Magic, Perception, Strength, Willpower. These range from -2 to 4 at char gen, and can be increased higher as you level. We used somebody's homebrew rules for point buy. Like in 5e, each of those has skills ("ability focuses") associated with it that function pretty much like proficiencies, since you get a flat +2 if you have the focus. Most rolls are 3d6 + relevant ability score + 2 if you have the focus, e.g. "did you hear the thing sneaking up on you" would be 3d6 + Perception + 2 if you have the Perception (Hearing) focus. You get different numbers of d6/additions for stuff like damage rolls, but that's the basis of the system. The target for the roll changes depending on difficulty (e.g. average difficulty would be 11, hard would be 15, "nigh impossible" is 21).

There are also character attributes called "talents" that let you do special poo poo, which have 3 levels of expertise (novice, journeyman, master). There are a whole bunch of them, but some examples are Carousing (holding your drink), Dual Weapon Style (dual wielding), Poison-Making, or various schools of magic.

The character background you select affects the initial stat bonuses you get, focuses you start with, weapon groups you can use, languages you speak/read, and your class, so it's more mechanically integrated than 5e, for example. Some sample character backgrounds: circle mage, Rivaini merchant, Avvar, Qunari Beresaad, Surface Dwarf... there are a bunch. For example, my moron Orlesian Exile got +1 to his Communication score and the Communication (Persuasion) focus from the background, and I selected +1 to Dexterity and the Communication (Deception) focus from the list for that background.

The other interesting thing I like in this is the rules for mass battles. I don't know them super well, but basically there are rules for how the army's leader's capabilities affect the battle, for "crisis points" to turn the tide of the battle that you play out with the PCs, incorporating various ways the PCs could have set up the battle to their side's advantage, etc.

Hope that summary made sense!

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 31, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Stroop There It Is posted:

this sounds fun as hell and ty for sharing! I considered going Bard with my dipshit useless noble Orlesian Exile rogue, but he didn't have the prereq for musical instrument playing and the character is currently specifically moving away from his Game-failing roots. Going with Shadow since I do a ton of sneaking/scouting and it's more in line with his ~character arc~. The hedge mage flavoring sounds super cool.

The rest of our team is an alcoholic ex-Carta surface dwarf merc with a deathwish, an increasingly less timid escaped elven Tevinter slave apostate who fuckin loves Mind Blast, and a young human Fereldan woman who was formerly a templar recruit and seems way too nice to be hanging out with the rest of us.

e: why yes, I am using this character as an excuse to do a terrible French accent
That sounds like a really fun group! And yeah for the hedge mage flavoring, it's especially fun because like... ZITHER! is canonically a character that exists in Thedas, so it's not even that far of a stretch to say a weak hedge mage would be able to do some 'classical D&D bard' stuff.

I really like when groups of characters look like they should be a hot mess on the surface but actually manage to stay mostly cohesive bc of factors like 'becoming friends' or 'having similar goals'. Not like all the characters in my group are best buds rn, Kassia especially is a bit on the outside bc of missing the second campaign, but roleplaying the process of working together as a group is fun. And it's nifty to have the Templar-Mage war going off in the background when our group includes a) an apostate mage who tried to burn down a wealthy human neighborhood in Denerim when she was 12 and b) an ex-Templar who left because he wasn't going to attack anyone just for being a mage even if mages can be dangerous. And also they're best friends.

Meanwhile the noble exile from Tevinter really just wants to find some ruins to investigate and my character is primarily using mercenary work as a way to fund shoving more musical knowledge into her insatiable maw.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the ex-Templar only got sent to the Templars because his best friend tried to arson a neighborhood with magic, as one does.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 1, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Rip Dragon Age 4, killed by Anthem reviews

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Rip Dragon Age 4, killed by Anthem reviews

Please sell Bioware to someone else, EA. Thanks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I stopped following Anthem a while ago, I assume it's out and people are saying it's bad?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cythereal posted:

I stopped following Anthem a while ago, I assume it's out and people are saying it's bad?

More "Why is this out now" (they missed the boat) and that it's kinda buggy.

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
It may still do alright. E.A. continue the retarded practice of giving access to a game before the day one patch.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

ghouldaddy07 posted:

It may still do alright. E.A. continue the retarded practice of giving access to a game before the day one patch.

No need to be ableist about it.
It's not a bad idea if you're getting on board the people who are paying for your online service I guess.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Taear posted:

No need to be ableist about it.
It's not a bad idea if you're getting on board the people who are paying for your online service I guess.

No disrespect to those of us with more chrome in the zone but it’s an apt comparison I think

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I refuse to believe Anthem killed DA4. After all, work on it must already be in more advanced stages, why else would Bioware have shown a DA4 trailer?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Torrannor posted:

I refuse to believe Anthem killed DA4. After all, work on it must already be in more advanced stages, why else would Bioware have shown a DA4 trailer?

According to reports, it's three years out, so it's probably not even in full production yet. That said, I don't see any evidence the project was killed (so soon after it was teased too) because of Anthem underperforming or whatever?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

We know Dragon Age 4 has already been rebooted once and all the original talent behind the first three games (Laidlaw, Gaider) are gone with the exception of Weekes. I don't know if Anthem will kill it, but Bioware could have really used a hit to follow up Andromeda and this game seems like it's not gonna be. It might even end up with a worse metacritic score than Andromeda, before all is said and done. So I don't have much faith in DA4's ability to get off the ground, at least not with this current incarnation of Bioware.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yeah, the tea leaves are not positive. The worst thing is that I bet a Weekes plotted DA4 would be great. But EA does not suffer failure well.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the release of early media previews for da4 suggests it's pretty far along. da5 i won't hold my breath however.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Torrannor posted:

That trailer we saw at the Game Awards was just an announcement teaser. DA4 was in pre-production and presumably after Anthem went gold development resources would have been shifted from Anthem onto DA4.
But they're not pulling a Bethesda here. DA4 won't be released within the next few months.

If Anthem flops badly, we may see another DA2 situation where Bioware has to get another game out fast to recoup losses. But really, I wouldn't expect to see DA4 until Q4 2020 at best. Maybe later depending on when the next console generation launches.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
It'd be nice if BioWare kept making character-focused story-driven RPGs and not "five years too late incompetent Destiny 2 with jetpacks and also characters talk at you and please buy lootboxes" but them's the breaks

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Anthem will suck up myriad resources as they try and fix it

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Zane posted:

the release of early media previews for da4 suggests it's pretty far along. da5 i won't hold my breath however.

What media previews? They've released a teaser with no in-game assets. That's the equivalent of what, for example, Nintendo did with Metroid Prime 4, and that was *definitely* not far along. I just don't really understand this logic, as it isn't really backed by past announcements from game developers and publishers.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Frankly, is there even a point for DA4? Inquisition was really weird, and the whole Trespasser DLC just drove the story down a different road than the one Origins started. It's as though they have zero idea of what they want to do and just come up with some "twist" that makes things even more convoluted.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Origins was carried by its characters, not its premise. Trespasser set up a more interesting conflict.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Frankly, is there even a point for DA4? Inquisition was really weird, and the whole Trespasser DLC just drove the story down a different road than the one Origins started. It's as though they have zero idea of what they want to do and just come up with some "twist" that makes things even more convoluted.

Trespasser explained a ton of the mysteries that Origin set out, what do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What about midichlorians?