Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hmm I'll definitely be spending most of tonight's session loving with my mouse. Thanks for the input

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Make sure you have mouse acceleration in Windows turned off, too.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

I'm doing 400dpi and 3.0/1.0 ads in game. I got used to it awhile ago but I do remember how awful it felt when I first tried. I believe people should mostly use whatever they're comfortable with but besides having to workout your arm to turn 180 degrees, the low sens is how you hit people.

I don't know how to explain this besides it feels like when your sensitivity is low their 3 head area (like the training targets, imagine 3 heads in a row) is the width of half or more on your mousepad instead of a millimeter dot on your mousepad that you must keep your mouse on.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

Elysiume posted:

If you want to be able to do those quick flicks the twitch streamers do, keep that accel ON baby!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

willroc7 posted:

If you want to be able to do those quick flicks the twitch streamers do, keep that accel ON baby!

do not trust this mans lies

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Ban all video games. But also ban all anime.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

that'd be good cuz then i can finally do some work

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Ban all video games. But also ban all anime.

Too far.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Morphix posted:

do not trust this mans lies

How do you propose they do it with such low sensitivity?

Don't you want the acceleration in your life?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Duck and Cover posted:

+twitch_prime_linked 1 add it to the launch settings in Origin.

Boy all this talk about being sensitive towards mice is burying my sweet tip.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Boy all this talk about being sensitive towards mice is burying my sweet tip.

They may very well do nothing, but I just want to point out that this a very easily trackable way of subverting their intended way for you to engage with this promotion. It is entirely possible they take action on accounts doing this.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

panda clue posted:

They may very well do nothing, but I just want to point out that this a very easily trackable way of subverting their intended way for you to engage with this promotion. It is entirely possible they take action on accounts doing this.

How are you replying to this guy, I thought you blocked him. Also, they could ban your account but I suppose you could just make a new, free one.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

willroc7 posted:

How do you propose they do it with such low sensitivity?

Don't you want the acceleration in your life?

I mean listen, this whole new move the mouse two or three times to do a simple 180 flick is absurd coming from an era where everyone played with their wrists. Mouse pads were tiny, desk space equally so, and games by and large played much faster. The idea that you'd have a zoom sensitive and a non was absurd, the inconsistency would gently caress you up in shooters.

I think it's like a fine motor skill you learn with your hands, you can either develop it or you don't have the ability and it's easier just to move the mouse around with your entire arm. If the end result is you click heads, who cares how you do it.

e also speaking of pointing devices, logitech announced they're bringing back the mx518! I have a g502 right now but it has too many buttons. I can't wait for this badboy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWZp0ud1nA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I will say that aiming with your arm and wrist instead of just your wrist is much easier if you extend your arm so that your elbow is on the desk and not your wrist. It's much, much more natural that way. You'll want a big enough desk and mouse pad to do that with, of course, but even if it doesn't quite work for me yet, it's probably worth a try.

Also: everyone please sell me on your favorite legend to play. They mostly all look fun but I want to know what people who play them a lot find most fun about them.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
The Havoc is really cool...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDT53ZmCI3E

panda clue
May 23, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

How are you replying to this guy, I thought you blocked him. Also, they could ban your account but I suppose you could just make a new, free one.

I don't have anyone blocked - it's kinda pointless when people just quote the person you ignore over and over and keep responding.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Morphix posted:

e also speaking of pointing devices, logitech announced they're bringing back the mx518! I have a g502 right now but it has too many buttons. I can't wait for this badboy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWZp0ud1nA

Stop, I can only get so erect.

My original one died last year.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

panda clue posted:

Yeah dude totally they're gonna ban everyone for this sweet hack. Hahahahaha, wow. Sure they could. They won't but they could.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 20, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

I will say that aiming with your arm and wrist instead of just your wrist is much easier if you extend your arm so that your elbow is on the desk and not your wrist. It's much, much more natural that way. You'll want a big enough desk and mouse pad to do that with, of course, but even if it doesn't quite work for me yet, it's probably worth a try.

Also: everyone please sell me on your favorite legend to play. They mostly all look fun but I want to know what people who play them a lot find most fun about them.

pathfinder's grappling hook lets him go go super fast and his zipline ultimate is very fast and useful for your team

who wants to fly on a zipline? I do!

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

willroc7 posted:

Stop, I can only get so erect.

My original one died last year.

I know! For someone who claws their mice the mx was perfect, I can't use a mouse w/o a thumb rest.

Logitech isn't giving a release date but I'm assuming soon as it's pre-orderable on their site for $59.99. I checked amazon to see if they had anything but all they have is someone selling the old ones sheesh

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

I mean listen, this whole new move the mouse two or three times to do a simple 180 flick is absurd coming from an era where everyone played with their wrists. Mouse pads were tiny, desk space equally so, and games by and large played much faster. The idea that you'd have a zoom sensitive and a non was absurd, the inconsistency would gently caress you up in shooters.

I think it's like a fine motor skill you learn with your hands, you can either develop it or you don't have the ability and it's easier just to move the mouse around with your entire arm. If the end result is you click heads, who cares how you do it.

Holy poo poo that's amazing. My MX301 died just a couple weeks ago so this is awesome timing.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah dude totally they're gonna ban everyone for this sweet hack. Hahahahaha, wow. Sure they could. They won't but they could.

I'm glad you apparently have an uncle that works EA that told you it won't happen, but I'm gonna pass on risking my account with hundreds of dollars of games/etc just to force cosmetics into my client by obviously and deliberately subverting a promotion. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but people have been banned on other platforms for far less - it really isn't unreasonable to offer a disclaimer for this. I don't think they will, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Morphix posted:

Man this is such good news. I'm still using my super old one and I know it's not long for this world... And I hate the drat transformer mice they've been pushing for a few years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

dmboogie posted:

who wants to fly on a zipline? I do!

I wish they had a little bit more interaction with the other Legends so that Mirage would yell "me too!" since that seems right up his alley.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I’m gonna do a bunch of that thing and see if I get banned. If I lose BFV whatevs

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty drat excited to get a new MX518. I used to have one and loved that thing. It's just so comfortable and I'll never understand how people use the really angular mice that seem to be everywhere these days.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The turbocharger is far better than the charge-up shot you get from select-fire, imo, which hits for 48 damage, has a long charge up time, and takes 5 ammo blocks to do so it isn't even ammo-efficient.

e: What's the weapon that Bloodhound is using on the splash screen?

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Elysiume posted:

This doesn’t really matter for most modern games! They use raw input anyways. Still not a bad idea to turn off in case, but if you like it for desktop browsing it’s probably fine to leave on.

Morphix posted:

Pretty much everyone will be better if they switch to a lower sensitivity. It’s way easier to be consistent with arm than wrist/finger movements and to make larger adjustments vs small ones. There’s a really good reason almost every FPS pro has a way lower sensitivity than the average player. If you’ve played quake on a tiny pad for years and don’t want to switch, more power to you, but anyone without that experience is going to be better off with a low sensitivity.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

panda clue posted:

I'm glad you apparently have an uncle that works EA that told you it won't happen, but I'm gonna pass on risking my account with hundreds of dollars of games/etc just to force cosmetics into my client by obviously and deliberately subverting a promotion. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but people have been banned on other platforms for far less - it really isn't unreasonable to offer a disclaimer for this. I don't think they will, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they did.

I'm sorry please don't respond to my posts because if you do you might get run over by a katamari. I mean after all it's possible.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm sorry please don't respond to my posts because if you do you might get run over by a katamari. I mean after all it's possible.

Stop trying to get other people banned, dickweed

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Re: mouse chat, there's a nice goon-made website called head.click that helps you with choosing a nice DPI setting for desktop use, choose a sensitivity level that works for you and the games you play, and provides configuration settings for you so you can get the same sensitivity in a whole bunch of widely played games. It doesn't have Apex Legends added yet but you can just use CS:GO as a substitute since the sensitivity and FOV settings are the same (since it's the same engine). The first time I used it I thought it told me to use a sensitivity that was way too low, but I got used to it pretty quickly.

Re: the Havoc - has anyone had problems with scopes and the turbocharger on it? I picked up both the turbocharger and the selectfire receiver for it and was playing around with them, and when using the turbocharger any scope I put on it would just not work - it was on there but I'd just get the builtin holo sight no matter what. The scopes did work with the selectfire receiver. It's a good gun by the way, feels very comfortable to use with little dropoff and recoil and seemingly nice DPS. The single shot beam thing doesn't seem very useful though - it's supposedly hitscan rather than projectile, but it takes forever to charge and uses five rounds of ammo.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 20, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Not far enough.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Ravenfood posted:

e: What's the weapon that Bloodhound is using on the splash screen?

The L-STAR from Titanfall 2. it was an LMG with a overheat mechanic instead of ammo. That advantage was compensated by having actual projectiles in a game where almost everything else was hitscan and the movement mechanics were crazy, but it was very satisfying to use. I think there’s been datamining that basically confirms it will show up in Apex eventually, if it’s presence on the splash screen wasn’t enough confirmation. My personal theory is that it will be a gold weapon because of it’s technically infinite ammo.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

tildes posted:

If you’ve played quake on a tiny pad for years and don’t want to switch, more power to you, but anyone without that experience is going to be better off with a low sensitivity.

I mean that's the thing, I did and plenty of others did as well. The kind of control you had to have to excell in Quake3 was far beyond what most games call for these days, like can you imagine if today's games had loving rail guns lol

I think it has more to do with how large your hands are and whether you claw the mouse or you rest your palm on it. I don't rest, I claw and my forearm rests on my desk, so the weight isn't resting on my wrist or anything.

LaserTrickShorty
Nov 10, 2017

Harrow posted:

Wraith is my favorite, because of her phasing ability. The ability to reset and take cover without getting shot in the back makes it hard to play other legends. The portals are pretty useless in most situations, but they can be useful in specific cases. Her passive is useful also, especially for bad players.

Lifeline is side bae due to all around awesomeness. Her abilities aren’t fun like Wraiths, but she can really come in clutch. The revive shield, the healing drone and the care package are all awesome abilities

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You guys should arm aim. Wrist aiming is just asking for an RSI. It only takes a session or two to get comfortable with arm aiming.

People who suck real bad and can’t kill anything, here is my pro tip. Go into the gun range in training. Grab a peacekeeper and an R99. Repeatedly run at the training announcer guy, slide, and as you pass him light him up. Get reliably good at hitting the slide shot as you pass him with each gun. Make sure you slide from close enough that you start in front of him and end behind him. Once you get this down you can rush a corner someone is holding and light them up before they can really react. It’s pretty easy to do, makes you hard to hit, and sets you up to score easy damage.

edit: another pro tip, never jump to be evasive unless the jump will take you behind cover. jumping makes you super predictable and you’ll get killed. do a/d/crouch spam instead

Oh and I watched that Pathfinder Longbow clip from shroud, looks like Widowmaker + grapple but in a game with few shields. Seems like it would be very fun, gonna have to run some Pathfinder.

Dren fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 21, 2019

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Hey so I’ve been thinking of trying to get good at playing on the pc but some bugs have been holding me back. For some reason I can’t switch from toggle to hold for the aiming button and same with the crouch button on mouse and keyboard. Also when I tried to plug in my ps4 controller I could use it no problem but I had no sound whatsoever. I’m playing on a new laptop I got from my uncle. Not sure what’s going on. Anyone have this stuff happen to them or know how to fix this?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Harrow posted:

Bloodhound is cool, their passive gives you a lot of intel and the ult is gofast shootmans mode. The tactical skill isn't super useful though. Speaking of Bangalore, she's also very cool and good. Smoke gives you a ton of tactical options, her passive is surprisingly good at keeping you alive and her ult is pretty handy as a delaying tactic/area denial tool.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The swede picking the Nordic larper, how typical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Definitely go into training mode and just shoot a bunch of bullets with each gun and get a feel with no pressure on you. Helpful to understand the recoil as well.