Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The exceedingly high bar of "Don't hustle for a sexual harasser".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Oh thank god Mr. Maltose is here with a hot take.

Is Morke still sexually harassing, I don't have the unique personal insights that most goons here are adamant that they and they alone possess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Let's cut to the chase and have you call me mentally disabled again.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mr. Maltose posted:

Let's cut to the chase and have you call me mentally disabled again.

Was your dick erect while you typed that or what? How can I help you Mr. Maltose.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Nah dude, he can either gently caress off or stop trying to bait people into an easy probe with pithy one-liners.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I'm pretty sure this exchange is precisely why you have a sign, Dan.

Don't make me tap the sign.

E: In the interests of actually doing the thing that profile text is there for, and moving on: I was actually really heartened to see people not letting Zak's defenders get away with their bullshit even in the OSR subreddit. So while most of the OSR figures who've made statements have made pretty bad ones (and that Raggi statement is just atrocious) there does seem to be some RPG Me Too movement in that sphere as well. Which, if nothing else, seems like a good sign for the OSR maybe not being a permanent pit of despair like I've gotten used to?

I don't really have much interest in OSR gaming at all (and the two adventures I've read from OSR, Tower of the Stargazer and The Crawling God, were both incredibly bad) but it's nice to think that people who are into classic helldungeons can maybe not also be a cesspool.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 20, 2019

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm pretty sure this exchange is precisely why you have a sign, Dan.

Don't make me tap the sign.

This sign is clearly hosed, as I have gotten many replies in spite of its dire warnings.

It is a very cute duck though, and its presence is soothing to me.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Bedlamdan posted:

This sign is clearly hosed, as I have gotten many replies in spite of its dire warnings.

Yeah I'll admit, 'don't reply' signs are clearly a completely helpless technology, doomed to failure. But you could, also, consider being less combative and willing to stoop to incredibly bad posts yourself when you want to sway the discussion around here.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah I'll admit, 'don't reply' signs are clearly a completely helpless technology, doomed to failure. But you could, also, consider being less combative and willing to stoop to incredibly bad posts yourself when you want to sway the discussion around here.

Should I just cruise into a thread and give a single line like 'go gently caress yourself :smug:' while safe in the certainty the mods have my back?

Sure I'll be nicer to Mr. Maltose if he also chills the gently caress out instead of just languidly trawling into someone else's conversations and then giving something better than a lameass 'heh, actually' for every single one of his posts. It's not like I'm the only one who noticed his tendency to do this. Over and over.

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: In the interests of actually doing the thing that profile text is there for, and moving on: I was actually really heartened to see people not letting Zak's defenders get away with their bullshit even in the OSR subreddit. So while most of the OSR figures who've made statements have made pretty bad ones (and that Raggi statement is just atrocious) there does seem to be some RPG Me Too movement in that sphere as well. Which, if nothing else, seems like a good sign for the OSR maybe not being a permanent pit of despair like I've gotten used to?

Generally Zak was never all that popular a figure to begin with. He had an orbit of cultists and people who would defend him on reflex, but most people weren't invested in him as a person or even as a creator. Generally, people on the internet frown on domestic abuse and are willing to believe testimony from a victim.

I mean, it's not like Zak wasn't suspected of having personality disorders even by his former defenders, either.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

and burned Plague of Hats' career to ashes for resigning over the Abyssals preview.

I'd be curious to hear more about this, and from whom it comes. Unless it's just more 4chan fantasies about my troubled marriage or whatever. But I'd rather Holden keep me out of his rallying cries.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Hey, I know about this. And, surprise surprise, Holden is full of poo poo.

What he says happened is at best a gross misrepresentation. Which I know because I was one of the people who helped sorted out comp copies for all the W20 writers. Which were late, but they were absolutely not deliberately late and the idea that Rich tried to stiff us on purpose is loving laughable and prt of his ongoing persecution complex.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I'd be curious to hear more about this, and from whom it comes. Unless it's just more 4chan fantasies about my troubled marriage or whatever. But I'd rather Holden keep me out of his rallying cries.

From what I remember hearing from people who were in OPP at the time that weren't working on Exalted, it was just "Rich Thomas was pissed off that you quit mid-project after months of unexplained radio silence, and that if you hadn't quit the dude was gonna fire you anyways."

You burnt a lot of bridges all at once supposedly, enough that people who were willing to work with you before on non-Exalted stuff if you only resigned weren't exactly feeling it after.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Feb 20, 2019

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
That duck loving owns

Also, what is the deal with RPGPundit? Is he a sex pest or something? I'm not familiar with him but am curious since people here seem to hate him.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

That duck loving owns

It's a good duck

Finster Dexter posted:

Also, what is the deal with RPGPundit? Is he a sex pest or something? I'm not familiar with him but am curious since people here seem to hate him.

As far as we know he's just a pipe-smoking madman who obsesses over people ruining the hobby without having done anything verifiably criminal as of yet.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Is he like a gatekeeper for OSR or anything?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Finster Dexter posted:

That duck loving owns

I spent 30 seconds checking out his twitter, and I can confidently say: dude's a chud.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

He tries very, very hard to be.

It basically got to the point where the old grognards.txt threads wouldn't stop posting text walls from this guy verbatim. But as far as anyone has claimed, he's scummy, and an rear end in a top hat, but thus far not outright criminal.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Pundit runs therpgsite.com and believes that anything he labels a story game is literally part of a Marxist plot to destroy RPGs. He is also obsessed with Hunter Thompson.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That Old Tree posted:

It's what Holden claims. You have an account on SV so you could always just ask Holden where he got it, though as a moderator I should probably not encourage too much cross-forum bitterness or something?

I'm glad to hear your side of the story, though. It's all too easy to take these things at face value when I should be approaching them with extreme skepticism.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

neaden posted:

Pundit runs therpgsite.com and believes that anything he labels a story game is literally part of a Marxist plot to destroy RPGs. He is also obsessed with Hunter Thompson.

Isn't his favorite game Amber diceless?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

fosborb posted:

Pundit is a land of contrasts.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

fosborb posted:

The "Swine" aren't actually people who prefer narrative mechanics over simulationist crunch.

It's people(mostly women) who want elfgames to be less racist and sexist.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Blue Rose's magic deer was IIRC the hill he decided to die on over on rpg,net

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Angrymog posted:

Blue Rose's magic deer was IIRC the hill he decided to die on over on rpg,net

Among generally being such a relentlessly argumentative rear end in a top hat that nobody could stand to deal with him, yes. He coined the term "venisonocracy" which to this day remains the only good thing he's ever come up with.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Joe Slowboat posted:

E: In the interests of actually doing the thing that profile text is there for, and moving on: I was actually really heartened to see people not letting Zak's defenders get away with their bullshit even in the OSR subreddit.

I found this extremely reassuring. It looks for the world like Zak launched two more sockpuppets at them since his ban, but they both got rejected pretty hard.

Interestingly, he provided unsolicited photos of women holding dated username signs, and both do a full on "No I swear I'm not a sockpuppet" as they then go on to tell us how Zak actually feels about things.

I love the concept of OSR games - they hit me hard in the nostalgia. But the fact that the community tolerated (or were) lovely abuse-golems kept me the fuuuck away from that scene for ages. Now? I'm feeling pretty good about them.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

The duckling soothes me, and makes me read everything you say in an adorable whiny squeak.

Finster Dexter posted:

TheRPGPundit is the type of guy who saw #gamergate and the alt-right roll around and embraced both fully because they espoused the same rhetoric (SJW conspiracies to undermine traditional society, oversensitive snowflakes censoring his right to ~free speech~, namby-pamby-feeling-games taking over the space real men like him carved out after being cast out from society by jocks, etc.) that he'd been ranting about for years before. He used to love making up his own bizarre words for it. Rules-light and narrative-focused games were the games of Swine. Overreactive, identity-policing people further left than him were Pseudo-activist Swine. He's OSR-adjacent by virtue of largely disliking the direction of modern tabletop game design.

He's basically Alex Jones if you took away all the success and influence on rightwing American discourse and subbed in an obsession with pipe tobacco and irrelevant nerd hobbies. He's been agitating for a D&Dgate for a while, but so far hasn't managed to get anything going.

e-

Kai Tave posted:

Among generally being such a relentlessly argumentative rear end in a top hat that nobody could stand to deal with him, yes. He coined the term "venisonocracy" which to this day remains the only good thing he's ever come up with.

He was insistent that he loved the True20 rules and hated the setting. Because the setting is meant to be Mercedes Lackey: The RPG, a world with fairly equal gender roles, gay and lesbian representation, and an optimistic approach to fantasy and magic. The fact that a magic deer would come around to choose the next monarch as a symbol of divine right to rule was deeply illogical to him. As you know, stories and myths never use divine creatures/objects to anoint the next ruler and no modern traditions are rooted in similar ceremonies.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 21, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

oh my god THAT's where that comes from

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Would someone be willing to PM me a summary of what's been happening with Zak S over the last few months(?) as well as some of the other names mentioned over the last few pages? Raggi, Holden, Shearer, Morke at the least because I haven't been involved with tabletop gaming as a hobby other than very casually for more than five years now. I would appreciate some help putting some of the recent discussion in context. I get that the hobby is having a Me Too moment but I don't know any of the specific people involved anymore. Thanks in advance.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
The thread already knows how much of the RPG Pundit is a dick, but here's another example anyway

https://twitter.com/Arr_Roo/status/1073004263410987008

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

LatwPIAT posted:

It's what Holden claims. You have an account on SV so you could always just ask Holden where he got it, though as a moderator I should probably not encourage too much cross-forum bitterness or something?

I'm glad to hear your side of the story, though. It's all too easy to take these things at face value when I should be approaching them with extreme skepticism.

I did go silent shortly after the Kickstarter, due to the encounter that led me to quit. It was a week or two before he even contacted me, but the norm was for me to not hear from him for weeks at a time, unless I specifically talked to him first. And sometimes he wouldn't respond for a week or more. I stewed for another week or two, then emailed all the writers and Rich that I quit. I was pretty polite and said something along the lines of "no hard feelings" but that was obviously a lie.

I also assured Rand and I think Lea that I would still do layout on the Nobilis 2e PDF, which I was in the middle of, but then I disappeared completely for a few months to be severely depressed.

I've never been directly in contact with Rich except the one pitiful contract he emailed me for a fifth of the words I wrote on Shards (the blame for which I am not willing to lay at anyone's feet in specific, because I don't know), and a very brief, cordial interaction at GenCon 50. I don't know what he knew about an offer I was made to write on something a while after I quit, but I declined that offer anyway. To be clear, I wouldn't blame him at all for never wanting to see me again after I quit, and doubly so for the way I fell over the cliff after that.

The reason I pause at "burning my career to the ground" is because I didn't pursue one after quitting, so it's not like Rich ever did anything to hamper me, and he had every right to anyway with the way I acted. So it'd be cool for Holden to not make me a bullet point in his list of grievances against other people, if he's been doing that.

Edit: And please don't take this as me roundly condemning Holden's lack of communication. I'm bad at keeping in touch, too. But holy poo poo was it a two-way street.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 21, 2019

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
So here's the core problem with Holden's behavior.

Holden presents himself on social media as someone who can be trusted to signal boost survivors and name names in an industry that all too often shelters abusers. That is his brand on Twitter now, and how a lot of people first come into contact with him. Regardless of how well known he thinks Morke's past transgressions are, the reality is many of the people he's reaching and interacting with don't know Morke from Adam.

When Holden is cagey or outright trivializes what Morke has done, a lot of people don't have any context to put that in. They just have him saying Morke "made some mistakes" - if they even see and digest those statements as they come across the feed. And then they have him signal boosting Morke's Patreon and other work.

And that's really dangerous. We have zero evidence of an apology from Morke or actual changes in behavior, of any attempts at restorative action. He's just "stepped away from the community." Even Holden's rose-colored characterizations make it sound very much like Morke doesn't think he did anything wrong - or at least, nothing serious. That means Morke still has to be considered a missing stair and potential abuser and harasser.

Holden's view is that because he is trying to "rehab" Morke and keeping an eye on him in some fashion, then he can make sure Morke stays on the straight and narrow. That is, bluntly, absurd. Even if Holden is entirely sincere in this desire, he cannot observe every interaction Morke has, especially when he is pointing people towards venues where Morke has control of how engagements occur. Considering how much of his audience are survivors or otherwise vulnerable, that is quite simply unacceptable.

When he points people to Morke's Patreon, he is pointing under-informed, at-risk people towards a high risk situation. Worse his presentation on social media is such that many of those people are going to - reasonably - assume that it's not a risky situation.

It's possible that Holden doesn't realize this, that he hasn't made the connection. That's not a sufficient defense. Whether he likes it or not, this is the position he has put himself in. That comes with real responsibilities, ones he is failing at.

Holden has stated before that he feels responsible for Morke in some ways, and the reasons given aren't entirely bogus. But that responsibility Holden feels conflicts with the responsibilities he has towards his social media audience. Stating that he has to pick between those responsibilities isn't a scorched Earth zero-tolerance stance. It's a basic ethical requirement for someone in his position.

It also creates a significant trust problem. So far we have a set of cases where Holden will loudly call out abusers, and a case where he not only won't call out them but minimize their behavior. The difference is that the first set of people are strangers or at most acquaintances, and the second set is a friend of his who he knew before the allegations were public. That's a huge issue. We know about Morke. Yes, it's possible Morke is a singular case, an exceptional error. But we don't know that. All we have to go on is what he did with the one known example where the abuser was his friend. And that example is a red flag. We don't know what Holden would do if similar things come to light about a different friend of his. We don't know if there's anyone else right now. And we have reason to suspect Holden himself wouldn't tell us.

An even worse scenario goes back to Holden's social media position. He's made it likely that a survivor would come to him in the future. That, again, comes with a responsibility to be forthright and open about what he is told and what his connection to accused parties is. And we again have an example where he is being anything but.

Those are just the most basic problems. It doesn't get into anything Holden, himself, has done.

And as I said before, it is entirely possible Holden is being completely sincere about trying to protect others and call abusers to account. Frankly I don't care and neither should anyone else. As a community we put way too much stock into sincerity. What matters is what he is doing, and what he is doing is dangerous.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone have a good RPG system that isnt made by rapists/rape apologists

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Control Volume posted:

Anyone have a good RPG system that isnt made by rapists/rape apologists
There are no good RPG systems.

That being said to the best of my knowledge Apocalypse World, Dungeon World, Fellowship, Panic at the Disco, the Black Hack, the Fragged games, Blades in the Dark, Scum & Villainy, LANCER, Patrol, Mouse Guard, Breakfast Cult and some others are made by people who haven't assaulted anyone or are writing apologia for someone who has.

So it's more a matter of what kind of game you're looking for.

In the interest of full disclosure Ettin and Open Sketchbook are also responsible for Two Peeps and Seat which is definitely a crime of some sort but they're good people.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
I think a few came up not too long ago, at least as far as I know, 13th age which is as someone else said is about as close you can get to being D&D without being D&D (I think it was made by designers of D&D 3rd and 4th editions), and is pretty good. It's one of my favorites.
Not perfect, but it has some neat additions like escalation and Icons. Also, I've found it's really easy to put together on the fly encounters and modify monsters.