Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Has anyone got any stories about being sad brains with money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Devian666 posted:

I broke my collar bone ($4500) and was pretty bummed out. Bought a whole new ski setup, $2200. So fairly BWM. I also had to spend about $300 on Lyft while I couldn't drive.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Devian666 posted:

My mom spent a bunch of money talking to psychics when she was depressed, I think that counts

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

therobit posted:

What mechanism would you suggest to get people to return their library books?

If you made me guess, the Netflix DVD model (N at a time, indefinite, free postal returns) plus gentle nagging. But the no-fine libraries that exist probably have better ideas. I’d add a PWYC annual fee for membership too, probably.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Subjunctive posted:

If you made me guess, the Netflix DVD model (N at a time, indefinite, free postal returns) plus gentle nagging. But the no-fine libraries that exist probably have better ideas. I’d add a PWYC annual fee for membership too, probably.

The Netflix DVD model doesn't work with a physical library collection if you would like others to be able to use that resource again.

I don't understand how a membership fee is going to help the poor patrons who can't afford late fines.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We're coming out of the gate strong in E/N.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

therobit posted:

The Netflix DVD model doesn't work with a physical library collection if you would like others to be able to use that resource again.

I don't understand how a membership fee is going to help the poor patrons who can't afford late fines.

If what you can pay is $0, then the PWYC annual fee would be $0. Because it's "Pay What You Can".

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

spwrozek posted:

I broke my collar bone ($4500) and was pretty bummed out. Bought a whole new ski setup, $2200. So fairly BWM. I also had to spend about $300 on Lyft while I couldn't drive.

$2200 for ski poo poo, that's pretty BWM. What did you buy?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

n8r posted:

The opportunity to break his collar bone again.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

n8r posted:

Whole new BC setup. It adds up as you know. Some 4frnt skis ($200 off), shift bindings ($50 off), new boots ($120 off), skins ($30 off), $35 for a mount. (I did get what I wanted though for the long haul)

Did I mention I have a full in bounds setup, snowboard setups, full split board setup...

I fully know I buy way too much ski/snowboard gear. It is me, BWM.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

therobit posted:

The opportunity to break his collar bone again.

Haha, yes.

I mean I did sell a bike for $350...

... To buy another bike.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Just tag yourself for jerryoftheday.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
My polytechnic diploma is for Games Design. That was BWM but kot by much, and I went on to get a degree in comouter science so it worked out.

What did *not* work out was one of my friend's post-polytechnic choices. He also took the same diploma - which, by the way, taught basically no hard skills whatsoever (we used Game Maker for fucks sake). When that was done he decided the next best step was to go overseas to Australia to study more games design at RMIT.

He still has basically no hard skills whatsoever (from what I hear from him he maaaybe worked a.little with Unity but that's about it) and he's almost done with the degree. He's now trying to set up his own games studio in Australia - with no real funding, network or skills.

He tried to poach me from my cushy job at an international software company. I declined.

He's a nice enough guy but boy is he laughably naive about reality.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
I should also note that we both come from Singapore which, for all its flaws, have some seriously sweet educational bursaries / scholarships / subsidies IF you don't, y'know, fly off to study elsewhere.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I hear you. I graduated with a diploma in 3d modeling for animation and games over a decade ago right st the worst possible time - the local industry crashed. I was competing with Triple-A talent in a market that was floundering, and I gave up do to a variety of reasons personal and professional. Like you, I'm back in university pursuing what I ought to have finished the first time around in a field I find much more fulfilling.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Devian666 posted:

When I was a kid, after my dad died, I had a strong case of depression and episodes of ocd. The ocd manifested itself in being convinced that everything I owned had to be in pristine condition, and that none of it cd's coils have scratches on them. My poor mother probably spent a couple of grands replacing stuff that didn't need to be replaced.

I was being treated and medicated at the time, but it took a while before it got better. I understand why she did what she did, since I can only imagine how horrible it must be to see your kid suffer so much over something so stupid (she's a doctor, she understood the reasons behind ocd, but I guess she also wanted to see if just temporarily satisfying the obsession would work out).

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Once upon a time I discovered the BWM thread. It was a beacon of hope in a dark, forgotten corner of the internet. Sometimes I would laugh. Ha ha. Look at this guy's student loans. He should flee the country! Sometimes I would learn. You can owe real tax money by trading fake internet money without ever turning it back into real money? Fascinating! Sometimes I would be inspired. Being rich starts at $100k? That's achievable! That's achievable. And then as quick as these thoughts would come, they would flutter away and I would gently caress off back to my life. The cycle would repeat.

But lately things have changed. I no longer laugh. I no longer learn. I find myself wondering how the library should determine who should pay late fees. Its not everyone, for some reason. Salary? So draconian. Attire? Access to a personal vehicle? I don't know! I don't want to know. I am confused. I am out of my depth. I yearn for simpler times. I miss talking about boats, and horses, and weddings (But not my wedding, god forbid. Can you imagine what they would say!). Please return me to that simple time. Please #bringithome

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stay in E/N forever

This is no worse than any other dumb derail

Stop crying and post BWM stories instead you weird lurkers who are all crawling out of the woodwork to complain

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Was Blue Story even a thing that happened or is this a Mandela Effect

It was real, I was there. If you have archives, you can find the thread buried somewhere here in E/N.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are libraries similar across the USA? In Portland, OR they're 95% homeless people staying out of the rain and 5% students that don't have the internet at home.

I strongly support its existence and the service it provides (because homeless people don't deserve to live and poo poo on the sidewalk), but it doesn't seem to be providing the service of "Book and DVD borrowing place"

I don’t know what libraries you have been too, but to keep it short yeah, they’re important parts of the community and more than just homeless shelters.

BWM: my wife is a librarian and we pay fines a few times a year because she also forgets to return books on time (not worth risking a job over it).

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
One last sojourn to cspam then bring it home

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

Whole new BC setup. It adds up as you know. Some 4frnt skis ($200 off), shift bindings ($50 off), new boots ($120 off), skins ($30 off), $35 for a mount. (I did get what I wanted though for the long haul)

Did I mention I have a full in bounds setup, snowboard setups, full split board setup...

I fully know I buy way too much ski/snowboard gear. It is me, BWM.

which 4frnts did you get, i have 2014 old school MSPs for my east coast / fuckaround inbounds skis

i was considering the raven for a bc setup but i will probably get one of the black crows lightweights

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

FateFree posted:

Once upon a time I discovered the BWM thread. It was a beacon of hope in a dark, forgotten corner of the internet. Sometimes I would laugh. Ha ha. Look at this guy's student loans. He should flee the country! Sometimes I would learn. You can owe real tax money by trading fake internet money without ever turning it back into real money? Fascinating! Sometimes I would be inspired. Being rich starts at $100k? That's achievable! That's achievable. And then as quick as these thoughts would come, they would flutter away and I would gently caress off back to my life. The cycle would repeat.

But lately things have changed. I no longer laugh. I no longer learn. I find myself wondering how the library should determine who should pay late fees. Its not everyone, for some reason. Salary? So draconian. Attire? Access to a personal vehicle? I don't know! I don't want to know. I am confused. I am out of my depth. I yearn for simpler times. I miss talking about boats, and horses, and weddings (But not my wedding, god forbid. Can you imagine what they would say!). Please return me to that simple time. Please #bringithome

Hello friend! I see you tried something new; what some people might refer to as "being funny." Trying new things can be very challenging and I'm proud of you for it.

E/N is about helping people, too. For example, try using fewer words to illustrate a point, like this goon:

Barry posted:

Someone PM me when the thread is back in BFC, thanks

Best of luck!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

which 4frnts did you get, i have 2014 old school MSPs for my east coast / fuckaround inbounds skis

i was considering the raven for a bc setup but i will probably get one of the black crows lightweights

I got the Ravens. Hopefully I get the go ahead for easy skiing Friday and I can get out skinning the resort and maybe very chill back country and try them out. Break in the boots too.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
BWM question : did people like Kissinger and Mattis lose money with Theranos?

Also, everyone should read bad blood.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

spwrozek posted:

I got the Ravens. Hopefully I get the go ahead for easy skiing Friday and I can get out skinning the resort and maybe very chill back country and try them out. Break in the boots too.

I went snowshoeing for the first time this lady weekend, and while I had a fun time I was jealous of all the XC skiers gliding along at a rapid pace. Id love to try it, but I am a fat goon and I also have very wide feet that make getting ski boots a tough proposition without going custom. Is there hope for me developing another BWM hobby?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

therobit posted:

I went snowshoeing for the first time this lady weekend, and while I had a fun time I was jealous of all the XC skiers gliding along at a rapid pace. Id love to try it, but I am a fat goon and I also have very wide feet that make getting ski boots a tough proposition without going custom. Is there hope for me developing another BWM hobby?

If you want to CC ski you can just go rent and try it out. CC skiing is pretty cheap to get into. Snowshoeing is terrible. CC skiing is supposedly fun but lacks the downhill component.

The back country skiing we are talking about is a bit different. Basically imagine going to a ski resort but not using the lifts to get to the top.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Non Serviam posted:

BWM question : did people like Kissinger and Mattis lose money with Theranos?

Also, everyone should read bad blood.

Maybe yes, maybe no, I haven't seen a definitive cite either way - they were board members meaning that they were getting paid and might have gotten equity instead of financial compensation but they might have also paid for equity as personal investments (people love to do this kind of poo poo) so it's complicated.

It's a great book, OP.

Also, I have a former colleague who bought a brand new 2017 Tesla S 18 mos ago and now has to sell it because he lost his job and all the sweet money he was making and tried to sell it to a groupchat of us and I think he's just beginning to learn the meaning of the word "depreciation."

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Maybe yes, maybe no, I haven't seen a definitive cite either way - they were board members meaning that they were getting paid and might have gotten equity instead of financial compensation but they might have also paid for equity as personal investments (people love to do this kind of poo poo) so it's complicated.

It's a great book, OP.

Also, I have a former colleague who bought a brand new 2017 Tesla S 18 mos ago and now has to sell it because he lost his job and all the sweet money he was making and tried to sell it to a groupchat of us and I think he's just beginning to learn the meaning of the word "depreciation."

Lol at everyone who bought a Tesla. It's a blessing in disguise if he can get rid of it and get a car that won't explode/lose its bumper in the rain/is sold by a company that is still going to exist in five years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

If you want to CC ski you can just go rent and try it out. CC skiing is pretty cheap to get into. Snowshoeing is terrible. CC skiing is supposedly fun but lacks the downhill component.

The back country skiing we are talking about is a bit different. Basically imagine going to a ski resort but not using the lifts to get to the top.

snowshoeing rules and is extremely gwm

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

snowshoeing rules and is extremely gwm

It is gwm. But it is bad with life. You end up walking awkwardly wide and still post hole in deep snow if you weigh I decent amount. If you are intending to ski down at the end you also have to carry your skis. Gross.

Hiking is the long walk to nowhere and snowshoeing is the worst version of hiking.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hiking owns and is extremely GWM.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hiking is GWM until you step into an REI

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
And GWL. Cheap fun and healthy to boot!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I went to the ski apparel store by me hoping to look at jackets for next season, left a base layer and mid layer heavier...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

FateFree posted:

Sometimes I would be inspired. Being rich starts at $100k? That's achievable! That's achievable.

This warranted a chuckle, I will admit.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I've always kind of wanted to get into snowshoeing... Costco sells snowshoes for $130 I wonder how many times I'd have to go for this to be "worth it."

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I've always kind of wanted to get into snowshoeing... Costco sells snowshoes for $130 I wonder how many times I'd have to go for this to be "worth it."

Based on rental rates where I am around 10 times.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Any time you can avoid buying new crap for a hobby, you should.

Rent 'em 3 times and see if it's still fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Any time you can avoid buying new crap for a hobby, you should.

Rent 'em 3 times and see if it's still fun.

*Nervously looks at cross country skis bought at a ski swap while living in the upper midwest.*