Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Glottis posted:

I'm rewatching American Vandal and it's a goddamn travesty that this show was cancelled. The writing is fantastic, the acting is amazing (to the point where I constantly forget they are actors and not actual high school kids), and it's consistently hilarious.

While it was Netflix cancelled, I'm almost certain it's getting a third season on CBS's new streaming service. Which in and of itself isn't *great* news, but no way they canned it completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is the second season as good as the first? I started watching first season based on recommendation of this thread and ended up binging it all in one go. Started the first episode of second season and didn’t even finish it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

best bale posted:

Is the second season as good as the first? I started watching first season based on recommendation of this thread and ended up binging it all in one go. Started the first episode of second season and didn’t even finish it.

It's still okay but I don't think it's as good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I thought it was better overall, but the first episode was rough.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks, I’ll give it a few more episodes.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Netflix has a documentary on the fyre festival up and I'm in the middle of now and it's absolutely incredible. The choicest quote so far is "Will you suck dick to fix this water problem?”'

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I decided to watch that Fyre documentary and near the end, after the festival didn't happen and they're back in their offices on a conference call, one guy essentially says "What we did was basically fraud" and Ja Rule replies "No! No it's not!"

That pregnant pause after he says that, with everybody silent, really hits like a hammer. I was surprised to see that Ja Rule partnered with one of the other guys to create Iconn. I also learned that there's another Fyre documentary on Hulu.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I decided to watch that Fyre documentary and near the end, after the festival didn't happen and they're back in their offices on a conference call, one guy essentially says "What we did was basically fraud" and Ja Rule replies "No! No it's not!"

That pregnant pause after he says that, with everybody silent, really hits like a hammer. I was surprised to see that Ja Rule partnered with one of the other guys to create Iconn. I also learned that there's another Fyre documentary on Hulu.

The Fyre documentary on Hulu is both great and throws mad shade at jerry media who put together the Netflix doc with Vice (and the developers of the Fyre advertising campaign), worth watching both for sure.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Seconding Mrs Maisel. This show is fantastic and Rachel Brosnahan is a treasure.

Rachel Brosnahan is hosting Saturday Night Live tonight, which should be great (or at least less awful than usual).

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've just watched the first few episodes of Sex Education on Netflix.

Gillian Anderson is a sex therapist and the kid who played Ender in Ender's Game is her son Otis, living in a sleepy little village in England. Otis accidentally uses therapy techniques learned by osmosis from his mum to cure the school bully's inability to ejaculate, and is convinced by one of his classmates to start offering sex therapy services to the rest of the school.

It's a completely stupid premise and a very odd show. It's set in the UK but the high school is straight out of an American teen drama, filled with students who don't wear uniforms and all look to be in their mid-20s. There's cliques and jocks and one of the "weirdo" outsider kids even lives in a trailer park, which aren't a thing in the UK. It kind of feels like it was written as an American comedy but for reasons it was decided to relocate it to the UK because maybe having so much explicit sexual humour and naked high schoolers wouldn't have sat well with Netflix's audience if they'd been American teenagers.

But putting that aside, it's been very funny and raunchy so far and also quite touching at times. I've adored Gillian Anderson since forever so I'm somewhat biased but she's brilliant in this and it's really fun to see her playing a comedy role.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I know that Blumhouse makes horror on the cheap as their entire gimmick. But man Into the Dark is the opposite of good quality media.

The first one is the best and everything else is just bland

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elevator Screamer posted:

It kind of feels like it was written as an American comedy but for reasons it was decided to relocate it to the UK because maybe having so much explicit sexual humour and naked high schoolers wouldn't have sat well with Netflix's audience if they'd been American teenagers.

this is probably also why they didn't bother trying to cast anyone who looked younger than 25, which I appreciate

it's a fun show but by the end it feels like a very by the numbers teen drama thing.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

PEN15 on Hulu is loving hilarious. It’s two women in their late 20s (I think?) playing themselves in 7th grade. All the other 7th graders are actual kids. It’s produced by the Lonely Island Guys, but written by the two lead characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just watched Await Further Instructions on Netflix and it was certainly a thing.

It's about a family trapped in a house while the tv gives increasingly insane survival warnings.

Then at the end some Lovecraftian thing from beyond ends up living in the tvs and it's taken over everything.

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

1redflag posted:

PEN15 on Hulu is loving hilarious. It’s two women in their late 20s (I think?) playing themselves in 7th grade. All the other 7th graders are actual kids. It’s produced by the Lonely Island Guys, but written by the two lead characters.

I watched season 1 across three days. It feels hilariously raw and real and I'm disappointed there's only one season.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I found something on Netflix called The Kirlian Frequency which is 5 short episodes (only like 8-10 minuted long) that's like an animated Welcome to Nightvale. It's about a small hosed you town in Argentina where creepy poo poo happens and it looks like there's a metaplot developing?

Len has a new favorite as of 03:44 on Feb 17, 2019

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Len posted:

I found something on Netflix called The Kirlian Frequency which is 5 short episodes (only like 8-10 minuted long) that's like an animated Welcome to Nightvale. It's about a small hosed you town in Argentina where creepy poo poo happens and it looks like there's a metaplot developing?

Well gently caress you too, small town, drat ( :) )

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Slippery posted:

Well gently caress you too, small town, drat ( :) )

Didn't even notice that. Curse you over zealous phone auto correct

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

1redflag posted:

It has Al Borland as a dad and the vulcan security guy from Star Trek Voyager so very meta 90s

It's set in the year 2000, which is technically part of the 90s so

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I'm only just now starting the third episode, but Umbrella Academy, a Netflix original based on a comic series, is out now and it's pretty tops. It captures a lot of the weirdness of the comics without being so... overtly B-movie cheesy about it?

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Nobody's mentioned Russian Doll on Netflix? Because that show is incredibly bingeable and great. It's like Groundhog Day if it was happening to an rear end in a top hat New York woman.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bogmonster posted:

Nobody's mentioned Russian Doll on Netflix? Because that show is incredibly bingeable and great. It's like Groundhog Day if it was happening to an rear end in a top hat New York woman.
There have been a lot more people talking about it in the Cinema Discusso streaming thread.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

trailer park, which aren't a thing in the UK.

Huh?

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

I'd call that an RV camp instead of a trailer park

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

AWarmBody posted:

I'd call that an RV camp instead of a trailer park

It's a caravan park. The caravans arn't nearly as big as they are in the US, but you find them quite a bit, especially in coastal areas.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Len posted:

Just watched Await Further Instructions on Netflix and it was certainly a thing.

It's about a family trapped in a house while the tv gives increasingly insane survival warnings.

Then at the end some Lovecraftian thing from beyond ends up living in the tvs and it's taken over everything.

I watched this because I'm a sucker for low-budget horror. It wasn't worth the time, and the effects looked like an early 90s metal music video.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone watch the reality show about people getting chased by hounds in pursuit of a quick buck? I saw it on Netflix but wasn't sure if it was the fun kind of trainwreck or the boring kind of trainwreck

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Len posted:

Anyone watch the reality show about people getting chased by hounds in pursuit of a quick buck? I saw it on Netflix but wasn't sure if it was the fun kind of trainwreck or the boring kind of trainwreck

Lmao, just lmao of this is a real thing. Do the dogs shoot bees when they bark, too?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1redflag posted:

Lmao, just lmao of this is a real thing. Do the dogs shoot bees when they bark, too?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Release_the_Hounds?wprov=sfla1

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

uli2000 posted:

It's a caravan park. The caravans arn't nearly as big as they are in the US, but you find them quite a bit, especially in coastal areas.

despite what trailer parks boys may lead you to believe our trailers are the same size as yours.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

1redflag posted:

I both enjoyed it and was filled with existential dread at the fact that middle school was almost 20 years ago for me at this point.

And also that I didn’t have any friends like that when I was a kid :smith:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Len posted:

I did, it's pretty hilarious. Bit hokey, but if you like watching terrified people go through a haunted house it's entertaining.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Straight White Shark posted:

this is probably also why they didn't bother trying to cast anyone who looked younger than 25, which I appreciate

it's a fun show but by the end it feels like a very by the numbers teen drama thing.

Oops yeah I didn't put those two things together in my head and wasn't advocating that they should have casted real teenagers for a sex comedy. And it did become more of a regular teen drama as time went on.

uli2000 posted:

Yeah I know caravan parks are a thing in the UK. I live on the coast and there's a bunch of them near me. But people don't live in them because that's the only housing available. They're holiday homes that folk live in for a few weeks a year, and you can't convince me they're not just a front for middle-class British swingers. I still don't think I've seen anywhere in the UK where caravan parks are permanent housing in the same way trailer parks are in the US.

Netflix just recommended me Behind the Curve, a 90-min documentary on flat Earthers. But I'm not sure if I can sit through that level of stupid unless it has some moment of hilarity.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Yeah I know caravan parks are a thing in the UK. I live on the coast and there's a bunch of them near me. But people don't live in them because that's the only housing available.

well, I don't know that most trailer park residents in the US live there because there's no physical housing...they live there because they can't afford to live elsewhere, in most cases. This is not acceptable either, I'm just saying that it's not a lack of houses but a lack of capital

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I worded it badly. I should have said "available to them" or "affordable to them".

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

I worded it badly. I should have said "available to them" or "affordable to them".

oh cool, well I wasn't trying to call you out, just to say that the real problem is the lack of affordable housing :)

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Slippery posted:

well, I don't know that most trailer park residents in the US live there because there's no physical housing...they live there because they can't afford to live elsewhere, in most cases. This is not acceptable either, I'm just saying that it's not a lack of houses but a lack of capital

That's a pretty broad generalization that's pretty far from the truth. I live in a fairly rural area that has quite a bit of manufactured housing here. Because everyone is poor? No, wages are actually very good here, it's just in a area like this (very rural) with and economy tied to the boom and bust cycle of mining, there's no large scale home building going on, so if you want to build it will cost significantly more for stick built as you need to import materials and much of the labor. Manufactured homes (at least newer ones) are often built from better quality materials and are built indoors so not subject to possible damage/delays due to weather and changing seasons. Hell, a big portion of the 'green' building industry is building 'prefab' homes in a factory and transporting them via truck to be set up. What does that sound like? A trailer. Some of these go for $1m+. Whats the difference? They bother to take the wheels off when they get to where they are going. It's easy to tell with most manufactured homes they are manufactured homes because the outside dimensions are pretty regular and uniform, but there is some really nice looking prefab homes unless you saw them trucked in you'd never know it's a 'trailer'.

But yeah, lots of poors live in trailers still. And the trailer park is a poor people thing, mostly due to not having the ability to aquire real estate for whatever reason.

Sorry, back to shows to watch:

Pen15 is hilarious. I also started watching The Romanov's on Amazon. Each episode (so far, I'm only 4 in) is self contained, but I feel they will be tied all together at some point (beyond the fact many of them are supposed decendents of the Russian royal family) but I can't for the life of me figure out how the gently caress they are gonna do it. Episode 1 was great, episode 2 was eh, episode 3 is WTF?, and episode 4 seems like the first time they are trying to tie something together but it just doesn't feel like it's working. Having watched half of the first series, I'll stick it out, and it's Matthew Weiner and I was a huge Mad Men fan. I think I saw there's a second season coming up soon as well.

uli2000 has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Feb 21, 2019

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.
I grew up in a US trailer park as a poor. Imagine Trailer Park boys but the park manager wasn't a raging alcoholic and instead of weed farms there was the occasional busted meth lab.

Are there any good trailer park shows or movies besides Trailer Park Boys?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AWarmBody posted:

I grew up in a US trailer park as a poor. Imagine Trailer Park boys but the park manager wasn't a raging alcoholic and instead of weed farms there was the occasional busted meth lab.

Are there any good trailer park shows or movies besides Trailer Park Boys?

Not really straight-up trailer park but more on the “hick” side, Letterkenny is really good. I knew some people that overhyped it so I avoided it for a while, but it’s actually very funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Don't watch Release The Hounds. Watch Hellevator instead.

Await Further Instructions is okay for a low-budget movie. However, it feel like there are too many ideas floating around that don't really get resolved.

The ending was good but I wish, I dunno, that there was more build up? Like, less family drama and more of them actually trying to escape.