Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

RBA Starblade posted:

Hans is the best. "Everyone, this is Murderman. He murders, but promised not to." "Oh no! He murdered."

So, Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me
In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have even brought the topic up. My bad.

That aside, I do have a question: have you finished playing and recording the game? Or have you only done up until a certain point?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

How about we just pretend that they haven't played anything at all beyond what the videos we can watch already encompass

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Kuvo posted:

Why do the videos look like they went though mspaint 50 times. Upload them in 720p you moron!
Minifoo did not want to spend hundreds of dollars to send his 3DS overseas to some stranger for them to solder a VGA port to the back of it so were using a software streaming method instead. There are limitations in this, such as variable frame rate, laggy bottom screen, and video compression artifacts. While it isn't ideal I don't feel these limitations will detract from the enjoyment of the LP. And yes I tried emulation, it crashed all the time.

Huh, I actually gave it a shot.
The latest Citra (I've been playing the canary build 1215.) seems to work just fine.
I've played up to chapter 8 of the conquest campaign without any issues.

Though I can imagine that the overhead of emulating the game + streaming and recording might add issues I don't have on my end.

SubNat fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 21, 2019

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I for one am shocked that Hans would do this, or that Dad would conspire to kill Chome.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

A bird: "Okay Chome. I'm gonna put you right back where I saved you from it's enemy territory so be careful"
Chome: "I'll be careful"
Also Chome: "Where did everyone go? I'll just stand still here and ponder. Oh no I was ambushed by Hoshidans! Who could have seen this coming?"

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I guess your dad really is a chome-chome.

Are most of the fights like the ones we've seen, where you're mostly outnumbered by weaker units and have to avoid being overwhelmed, or do you get some more evenly-matched opponents later on?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

A bird: "Okay Chome. I'm gonna put you right back where I saved you from it's enemy territory so be careful"
Chome: "I'll be careful"
Also Chome: "Where did everyone go? I'll just stand still here and ponder. Oh no I was ambushed by Hoshidans! Who could have seen this coming?"

Considering he spent much of his life stuck in a castle it isn't surprising that Chrome is a complete idiot when it comes to the outside world.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kangra posted:

Are most of the fights like the ones we've seen, where you're mostly outnumbered by weaker units and have to avoid being overwhelmed, or do you get some more evenly-matched opponents later on?

It's in general asymmetrical with boss dudes being near/above your dude's skill level. There are a couple exceptions, but that's the rule.
On this difficulty anyway. Some of the games have a masochist setting where every mook outclasses your dudes and can take them 1v1 no problems.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

Some of the games have a masochist setting where every mook outclasses your dudes and can take them 10v1 no problems.

Fixed. And yes, I mean this as in "mooks can solo your entire party." Lunatic+ is BS.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
I love the pointlessness of Lilith being your servant. Like, there were so many different ways to give her the same role but they decided that the best one was with one-way double shape shifting.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder if conversation is gonna move towards the other games because jumping in on this one means there's no experience of the series staples at all.

Vicas is the only one who knows of the half-human half beast shapeshifters in the Tellius duology!

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

Kangra posted:

chome-chome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLowu0OwrU&t=47s

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
that made me laugh more than it should have

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Kangra posted:

It’s pretty rare that you are evenly matched in FE games. The games will usually give the enemy a significant advantage that requires careful strategy to beat without losing mans. Usually they stop giving you easy fights very quickly. In earlier FE games, or in recent ones on higher difficulty, you will be in some tough fights within the first few battles.

Essentially, if you are playing adequately you will be mowing down enemies very quickly, but the enemy will be able to punish you hard if you gently caress it up.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
I forgot how dumb this game is, I'm not sure it's as bad I as it's supposed to be or because nintendo hyped the everliving poo poo out of the writing that the dissapointment just made me jaded

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

I figure Nintendo or Int. Systems assumed that since people liked Awakening, which was the most anime game so far, leaning harder into anime bullshit would be what people wanted.

I assume this was a huge hit since they are still going hard on shameful anime tropes with the next one. I’ll bet three houses is as bad or worse than this one. I was disappointed since I assumed they were going for a plot based on the Three-Kingdoms period in China, which would be pretty cool. Instead we are getting high school anime.

Seriously though, I’d love to have a FE like game about the three kingdoms. That would kick rear end.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fire Emblem is having a full-on identity crisis, which possibly might be resolved in Three Houses. This isn't helped by how it's kept changing.

It got started as a reasonably tight but well-ish liked unit-raising tactics game that also happened to get dragged kicking and screaming into English because of Smash Bros, of all things. By this time it had already experimented and discarded more game-defining mechanics than most series would ever have. Its first ever western release, FE7, though, dispensed with much of it and was a very tightly designed, fairly difficult but deceptively well balanced and engaging strategy experience with just enough writing to affect people. Lots of people can convincingly argue that FE7 was a mechanical high point of the series. The very important thing to understand about FE7 is that its tight mechanical balance was a product of its treating almost everything in the game as a resource. To get a sense of how well FE7's resources are (and sometimes aren't) balanced, check out Melth's Hector Hard Mode Max Rank LP (don't be put off by the initial screenshots; he gets his workflow in order right quick).

After this point, they started experimenting with complexity again. FE8 had some nice improvements but also let the player party grind for levels whenever you choose, which kinda busted the balance, so they didn't do that again. FE9 and 10 brought back equippable skills and changed how weapon weight worked, and 10 had all the various characters split up into several armies for most of the game. These games also sometimes got a little out of hand balance-wise. FE11 (a remake of 1) started requiring you to regularly kill off units to access hidden chapters. FE12 introduced My Unit (and was never released in the west). About the only thing that remained consistent all this time is Supports, which notably was the basis for FE4's marriage and children system and later was just a way to have your units become friends, share some funny BioWare-style poo poo-shooting conversations, and get some stat boosts, and sometimes get married in epilogue dumps (except in FE10 where supports didn't have any conversations because there were like 70 units and everyone could pair with anyone).

Then Fire Emblem was dead, until someone convinced someone to bankroll Awakening, which I think IntSys thought might be the last ever Fire Emblem, which in turn I think is why Awakening features basically every mechanic that had ever been in a Fire Emblem, including grindable missions on a world map, equippable skills, My Unit, and marriages and children again - and you could Support literally everyone, and this time they had enough writers to do it properly. This is how Awakening wound up being an anime dating sim with a light strategy minigame (with an optional hell difficulty that was mostly just dull). Possibly unfortunately, Awakening sold hellacopies.

The thinking with Fates is this: Birthright plays out mostly like Awakening, and lets you choose to develop your team more or less as much as you want, while Conquest plays like the older games, with missions that play out in strict sequence, and resources more carefully restricted, and is overall the harder game. Unfortunately, they also decided to branch a plot across both versions, and also add a third version for some loving reason that's like the super secret true story and I don't even loving know what they were thinking with that one. Fates is almost literally an expression of IntSys not knowing what the gently caress to do with their franchise.

Since Fates, though, one very important thing happened: Fire Emblem Heroes, the mobile gacha simulator that's going out of its way to appeal to the dating-sim side of the franchise and its fans, and Fire Emblem Echoes, another remake which went back to experimenting with mechanics and was more carefully balanced (though you could still grind). Because of all that, I have some hope that IntSys have figured out a coherent identity for all these things, and that Three Houses is not going to fall into so many traps trying to be everything to everyone. Some.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

that's quite insightful, thanks for writing that up

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fedule does that a lot.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
> leaning harder into anime bullshit would be what people wanted.

To be fair, they probably weren't wrong.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

florida lan posted:

> leaning harder into anime bullshit would be what people wanted.

To be fair, they probably weren't wrong.

Considering how much Awakening and Fates sold, how much money Heroes is making, and how much SoV didn't sell, it's pretty clear the people want more anime.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Considering how much Awakening and Fates sold, how much money Heroes is making, and how much SoV didn't sell, it's pretty clear the people want more anime.

Which is sadly why I’m starting to look elsewhere for my strategy games. Echoes was extremely good and people should be ashamed for not buying it.

Sadly the realm of good strategy games is pretty barren most of the time, especially if you want anything like Fire Emblem. It’s sad to watch something I like be tainted like this.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Btw, the Fire Emblem fandom tends to refer to the games in the series by their release number for easy reference, despite having a separate subtitle officially, so for those unfamiliar;

FE1 is Fire Emblem: Dark Dragon and Sword of Light for the Famicom/NES, set in the continent of Akaneia. Aka, that game with Marth in it

FE2 is Fire Emblem: Gaiden, also for the Famicom, set on the continent of Valencia not long after FE1 happens. Has 2 protagonists: Alm and Celica. The first of the experimental Fire Emblems, with a world map, 2 separate armies and zombies

FE3 is Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, for the Super Famicom/SNES. Another game with Marth in it, it includes an updated version of the first game and a new story that happens 2 years later.

FE4 is Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War, for the Super Famicom. Is on the continent of Jugdral. The first half follows a guy called Sigurd, the second half with his son, Seliph, set 20 years later. The first game to feature Eugenics, both in gameplay and the plot.

FE5 is Fire Emblem: Thracia 776, the last for the Super Famicom. Also set in Jugdral, but specifically in the country of Thracia, and the protagonist is Seliph's cousin, Leif. Another experimental game, with a Fatigue system and healing staves that can miss.

FE6 is Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, for the GameBoy Advance. AKA the one with Roy from Smash in it. Set on the continent of Elibe, and the first to introduce the support system closely resembling the current one.

FE7 is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword for the GBA. The first Fire Emblem to get a Western release, and just called Fire Emblem there. Set 20 years before Binding Blade, and follows Roy's dad, Eliwood, and his friends, Lyn and Hector. Introduced map objectives other than "Seize the Throne/Castle", and a "Lord" character that didn't use a sword.

FE8 is Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones for the GBA. Follows twin protags, Eirika and Ephraim in the continent of Magvell. A sort-of gameplay successor to Gaiden, with a route split, a world map and monster enemies.

FE9 is Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the Gamecube. Set in the continent of Tellius and follows the Mercenary, Ike. The first game to have a protagonist that isn't nobility or Royalty, and also the first to include playable non-human characters that aren't dragons, called Laguz. Also introduced base conversations, as a way to set up character interactions outside of supports or the story.

FE10 is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Wii. Also set in Tellius, it follows new character Micaiah 3 years after Path of Radiance ends. Also brings back Ike-but-with-more-muscles about halfway through.

FE11 is Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon for the Nintendo DS, aka the remake of that one with Marth in it. A massive improvement of the original, but ultimately a step back from the games prior.

FE12 is Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~ for the Nintendo DS. A remake of the 2nd story of FE3 and the only Fire Emblem game since Binding Blade to not be released Globally. Reintroduced base conversations in a less prominent role, as they absorbed the support system into it. Also introduces a My Unit, Kris.

FE13 is Fire Emblem: Awakening for the Nintendo 3DS. Set thousands of years after Marth's games on the same continent, as well as the continent of what used to be Valencia, now called Valm. Follows Chrom, the My Unit/Avatar (official name Robin) and Lucina. Effectively revived the Fire Emblem franchise, as mentioned.

FE14 is the Fates trilogy of games. We already know about these.

FE15 is Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia for the 3DS. A remake of Gaiden, with full voice acting in story scenes and supports, and a lot of much needed fleshing out of the characters.

FE16 is the yet to be released Fire Emblem: Three Houses for the Nintendo Switch. We know that it is set on the continent of Fodlan, and includes a My Unit character called Byleth, and the heirs to the 3 countries/Unions on the continent, Edelgard, Claude and Dimitri.

Sorry for the :words:

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The Skeleton King posted:

Which is sadly why I’m starting to look elsewhere for my strategy games. Echoes was extremely good and people should be ashamed for not buying it.

Echoes had extremely good presentation, but everything else wasn't up to par. Great voice acting and fantastic artwork does not make up for the terrible map design and really bad pacing. (Those swamp maps, those cantors, that loving desert fort! :negative:)

I know people say that they're just trying to stay faithful to the original but I personally don't really make the same better.

I still really like it though. The presentation really goes a long way and they really made some memorable characters with really great supports.

Also that soundtrack. :swoon:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

slink_bot posted:

Sorry for the :words:

Don't be! This helps me get a handle on what's been going on with this series of games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Echoes had extremely good presentation, but everything else wasn't up to par. Great voice acting and fantastic artwork does not make up for the terrible map design and really bad pacing. (Those swamp maps, those cantors, that loving desert fort! :negative:)

I know people say that they're just trying to stay faithful to the original but I personally don't really make the same better.

I still really like it though. The presentation really goes a long way and they really made some memorable characters with really great supports.

Also that soundtrack. :swoon:

Also, don't forget that it came out after Fates. I don't blame people for having reservations after a really bad game gets released.

On top of many maps being horrible slogs to play as for anyone that isn't on a pegasus, the fact that you can learn skills that can't be used unless you're holding that weapon and having only 9 classes really made it kinda meh in comparison. I mean don't get me wrong, having archers that can counter people that're right up in their face and shoot more than two spaces was great, and eventually I really felt in the mood to play it and bought the third level class changing DLC and grinding maps but I still missed having pair up so I could actually use a knight since they're the slowest things in these games that aren't a wall.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oh god, healing staves that can miss. Why did you mention that particular tidbit, I'm triggered again. I love the game, but there was so much bullshit in Thracia.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Path of Radiance was really goddamn good.

Though maybe I just think that because it was my first Fire Emblem.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: video :frogsiren:
Ep 04 - Hoshido

slink_bot posted:

FE7 is Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword for the GBA. The first Fire Emblem to get a Western release, and just called Fire Emblem there. Set 20 years before Binding Blade, and follows Roy's dad, Eliwood, and his friends, Lyn and Hector. Introduced map objectives other than "Seize the Throne/Castle", and a "Lord" character that didn't use a sword.

this was the one i played. i remember it being technically competent but the story was whatever.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My dad could beat up my dad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Path of Radiance was really goddamn good.

Though maybe I just think that because it was my first Fire Emblem.

No, that was a really solid one. Not having a fast forward for animations might've gotten old eventually but it's a pretty solid game despite that.

Starting with the game that has Haar in it means high expectations. As well as Gatrie, one of the best generals outside of FE6-8 since they stopped launching axes and lances with their attacks after those games.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

RareAcumen posted:

generals outside of FE6-8 since they stopped launching axes and lances with their attacks after those games.

Man, I'd say that the GBA General attacks are probably the best animations in the series. They look great and really add character to the class.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I recall someone played this game with their 4 year old and even the child thought the whole "we're your family trust us" was weird

Chome: dumber than a literal 4 year old

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

RareAcumen posted:

No, that was a really solid one. Not having a fast forward for animations might've gotten old eventually but it's a pretty solid game despite that.

Starting with the game that has Haar in it means high expectations. As well as Gatrie, one of the best generals outside of FE6-8 since they stopped launching axes and lances with their attacks after those games.

The GBA animations ruled incredibly because, them being handdrawn, the artists had enough control over how they played out to use a whole bunch of techniques to lend fluidity, weight, and style to every little thing. The switch to 3D didn't work out as well because the range of effects they could accomplish even with a rigged model just wasn't as extensive, and though they improved a lot into the 2010s they also moved back to the 3DS which was underpowered and already barely able to to justice to Fire Emblem (although Fates and Echoes still manage quite a lot of nice animation work). Possibly Three Houses might improve on this situation, because 3D character animation has now developed to the point where we can have games look like this;

Platinum has been on this ball for a while, and Bayonetta, Raiden, 2B/A2 et al all employ modern techniques derived from classical animation, playing with timing, impact, and even effects that resemble smears. Videogames generally are now chock full of 3D animation work that justifies the huge screens we play them on these days, so I really hope that Fire Emblem can capitalise too.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Platinum Fire Emblem when

Gaearin
May 15, 2013

Angel to you, Devil to me
"But that's it. Nothing of substance." would have made a great tagline for all three of these games. Not that anyone should ever play an FE game primarily for the plot because that has rarely been its strong suit, but Fates just didn't even bother it seems like.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Agreed, plot is not why anyone should be playing a FE game.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Fates might have been better had they not bothered. What we got was probably worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Skeleton King posted:

Agreed, plot is not why anyone should be playing a FE game.

However, when you specifically want to make fun of the plot, you should play Fates, because it gives you a looooot of material.