Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I thought D/P was a huge step up from Gen 3, why do people hate it so much?

Though Gen 5 IS the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

diamond pearl had like 10 hms and a bunch of routes where you would randomly get stuck in mud or snow for a second before you could walk again

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Neo_Crimson posted:

Mostly the really slow surfing and saving. Also HM overload. And bizarre pokedex which only included like half the new pokemon before the postgame, no fire types outside of Infernape/Rapidash etc. Like in Diamond/Pearl Rotom, Gallade, Probopass, Gliscor, Leafeon, Glaceon, Togekiss, Tangrowth, Yanmega, Rhyperior, Dusknoir, Porygon-Z, Electivire, Magmortar, Mamoswine and Froslass were all postgame for no goddamn reason.

Platinum fixed basically all its issues except the HM stuff.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 20, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If I started with Gen 6/7 and I enjoy it is it worth going back and playing the older games? And is it even possible to transfer my dudes out of the older games, besides gen 1 and 2 since they are on the VC?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pokemon Conquest is the best because it has the best Pokemon artwork.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neo_Crimson posted:

-Terrible routes that waste your time (snow, mud)
-Constant backtracking for no reason
-Confusing maps like Mount Coronet that are a pain to actually navigate
-Fog, just fog
-Horrible Pokedex with no Fire types outside of two lines, one of which is the obligatory starter
-Horrible Pokedex that doesn't even use the Pokemon the generation itself introduced for no well explainable reason
-Never-ending save times

D/P were bad. Thankfully Game Freak seemed to agree considering Platinum fixed what it could of this (sadly it couldn't remove the snow, mud or fog, but it's telling that none of those came back).

chaosapiant posted:

If I started with Gen 6/7 and I enjoy it is it worth going back and playing the older games? And is it even possible to transfer my dudes out of the older games, besides gen 1 and 2 since they are on the VC?

If you're willing to give up QoL updates, then sure, there are some very good games before those. Transferring from old gens is also possible but it's a bit of a pain since you need to do it from Gen V, so you'd need to get your Pokemon there, and then use Poke Transporter IIRC.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chaosapiant posted:

You can transfer pokemon from Gen 3 up, but it requires at least an original DS so you can play both GBA games and use the transfer feature to Gen IV. Also some of the older methods of transferring generation to generation are insanely punitive and annoying for no reason and require you to transfer up to each generation in order (3 can transfer to 4 can transfer to 5 can transfer to 6)

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the DP Fire-types complaint is one of the dumbest memes in this fandom

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

5 transfers directly to the bank using another ds app. but it's only one box at a time

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

less laughter posted:

If you really dislike one of the types that form the core of the game, sure.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

infernape owns enough that they should have not included ponyta as well. what were you going to use anyway. houndoom. get outta here

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Blaze Dragon posted:

If you really dislike one of the types that form the core of the game, sure.

woosh

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

less laughter posted:

Not really?

They decided to have a Fire Type Elite 4 member who used Driftblim, Lopunny and Steelix because of it. There was literally a new Gen IV fire type that was just completely excluded from the dex until postgame for no reason.

It was just dumb, especially since literally every other gym leader/elite 4 member in Gens 3 and 4 were sticking to the type rules since we had finally added enough pokemon to make full teams for every type.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I thought it was cool that Volkner had an Octillery to gently caress up any ground types you used against him in DP.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

New question time: when a Pokeman calls for help, and a new Pokeman joins the fight, there's no way to capture both of them is there?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

chaosapiant posted:

New question time: when a Pokeman calls for help, and a new Pokeman joins the fight, there's no way to capture both of them is there?

No. You can only ever capture one Pokémon.

You should get Pokémon Red or Blue on the virtual console. Let us know what you think about the original games. At the very least you can bank the mons you get to have their hidden abilities in the later games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chaosapiant posted:

I'm afraid not, you can only catch a Pokemon if you have only one opponent. You'll have to KO one or the other.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Nope. Can't throw balls unless there's only one pokemon out

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Open Marriage Night posted:

No. You can only ever capture one Pokémon.

You should get Pokémon Red or Blue on the virtual console. Let us know what you think about the original games. At the very least you can bank the mons you get to have their hidden abilities in the later games.

I actually have bought/downloaded blue, yellow, silver, and crystal. I've played about 4 hours of Yellow and 18 minutes of Crystal. I like them but they're a lot harder. So i'm splitting my time between those and Ultra Mooner.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zore posted:

It was just dumb, especially since literally every other gym leader/elite 4 member in Gens 3 and 4 were sticking to the type rules since we had finally added enough pokemon to make full teams for every type.

Flint isn't the only one with too few Pokemon to make a good team for a late game trainer. Volkner used two out of the three Electric lines and Candice used all two fo the available Ice lines. Each of these trainers is using four Pokemon for their late game team.

You could kinda see why they weren't noticed why most people when Fire was noticed. Ice-types are always late game encounters when most people already have a full team and aren't looking for more members. Electric-types started off strong with Luxray which isn't hard to imagine many players taking one all the way to the Pokemon League. That one is pretty anecdotal though.

On the other hand, Electric and Ice-types are both represented by Gyms in these games so it feels like something someone should notice when they're fighting the same two or three lines one after the other.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought it was cool that Volkner had an Octillery to gently caress up any ground types you used against him in DP.

I also like that a lot and it's something I kinda want to see strong trainers do again.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Really what I remember from D/P was how loving SLOW everything was. It was like playing the game at half speed, barely playable.

Pt fixed that at least.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
yeah, i didn't realize just how slow everything was in d/p until i went back to play some firered for some reason and everything felt like it was going turbo speed

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah, there's no way to catch both Pokemon.

Frankly, it's bullshit and I hope they change it in a future gen.

Kikas posted:

Really what I remember from D/P was how loving SLOW everything was. It was like playing the game at half speed, barely playable.

Pt fixed that at least.

Platinum was such a quality of life improvement in every way.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I was doing an emulated run of plat and I had it running at 150%. Plat is still too slow.

And it removed early Elekid, which is inexcusable.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1098379827868889093

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

you know what i would be ok with is if gen 8 was the kanto region but with modernized world and level design, and put in the botw engine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

The White Dragon posted:

you know what i would be ok with is if gen 8 was the kanto region but with modernized world and level design, and put in the botw engine

you could switch pokemon the same way you switch weapons

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can imagine the salt from the people upset Let's Go revisited Kanto just recently.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

indigi posted:

you could switch pokemon the same way you switch weapons

clefairy has 0 durability remaining

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Dehry posted:

I can imagine the salt from the people upset Let's Go revisited Kanto just recently.

I don't think the issue was that it was in Kanto, rather that it was the third time they told that same story. I'd be happy to see what Kanto looks like 25 years later

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
also with more than the original 151 and meltan

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

indigi posted:

I don't think the issue was that it was in Kanto, rather that it was the third time they told that same story. I'd be happy to see what Kanto looks like 25 years later

Raserys posted:

also with more than the original 151 and meltan

Yeah, basically. Modernize the entire thing so that it actually fits in the 21st century instead of being a Game Boy relic kept alive through cynical nostalgia exploitation and I'll be all in for it.

Though it shouldn't be the first game of Gen 8 anyways, that should be a brand-new thing. It could be cool as a spinoff though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

1) Pokemon Black/White 2 is the best one because of the movie making minigame.

2)

Dienes posted:

This or a Damp parasect
A damp Parasect sounds super gross, wet mushrooms are all slimy and poo poo

3)

Tuiri posted:

Following up on the general feeling that we will have Pokemon news soon, every bodies favourite part in speculating about a new Pokemon game, fake logo's and names:
https://twitter.com/PokemonKandQ/status/1098199981117329408
This is fake as hell. Not because of the release date but because no way that Pokemon would use these weak rear end default hiragana font Japanese-dictionary first result words for their Switch debut titles. loving "Kokuou," are you kidding me?

They would absolutely use the English words "King" and "Queen" with katakana attached because Japan really likes English titles. Reminder that the Japanese title of Breath of the Wild isnt "yasei no iki" or whatever, it's Breath of the Wild (buresu obu za wairudo.)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

2)

3)

This is fake as hell. Not because of the release date but because no way that Pokemon would use these weak rear end default hiragana font Japanese-dictionary first result words for their Switch debut titles. loving "Kokuou," are you kidding me?

They would absolutely use the English words "King" and "Queen" with katakana attached because Japan really likes English titles. Reminder that the Japanese title of Breath of the Wild isnt "yasei no iki" or whatever, it's Breath of the Wild (buresu obu za wairudo.)

I don’t know what any of that means. Everything I know about Japanese was from karate when I was 9.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

chaosapiant posted:

I don’t know what any of that means. Everything I know about Japanese was from karate when I was 9.

Since Crystal, every Pokemon game has had an English name, even in Japanese. For example, Black and White aren't Kuro and Shiro, they're ブラック (Black) and ホワイト (White). Therefore, if the image was true, the titles would appear as キング (King) and クィーン (Queen).

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 21, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Blaze Dragon posted:

Since Crystal, every Pokemon game has had an English name, even in Japanese. For example, Black and White aren't Kuro amd Shiro, they're ブラック (Black) and ホワイト (White). Therefore, if the image was true, the titles would appear as キング (King) and クィーン (Queen).

Ok, I think I get that. Pokémon Gen 8, whatever form it comes in, will likely be my reason for buying a switch. I want a switch.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

2)

3)

ZA WAIRUDO

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You've got about 50 sounds that can be made to say English words with Katakana. Some things sound weird.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
pokemon england is always raining and at war with kalos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Does anybody else have Pokémon that they constantly confuse which generation they're from?

Despite personal experience I constantly think several Pokémon are from the wrong gen. Particularly gens 3-5.

Swalot, Altaria, Vespiquen, and Drifblim are all gen 5 in my head

Gastrodon is gen 3

Flygon and Smeargle are gen 4 for some reason??

Why does this happen?