Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Uhhhhh that’s my license plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
For real, people keep yelling at me in traffic because they think it means “who are you dude” or some poo poo

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

It also sort of reads like one of those plates people get because they've never heard of the phonetic alphabet and think "CBCDCE" is just impossible to properly read out over a radio.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why hasn't anyone invented the steam engine in the last two thousand years of the third age? Does middle earth have algebra?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why hasn't anyone invented the steam engine in the last two thousand years of the third age? Does middle earth have algebra?

Because the Shire is specifically supposed to be a preindustrial utopia.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It took human civilization like 10,000 years to invent the steam engine and I don't see the Sumerians crafting Silmarils and fighting wars with fallen Gods :colbert:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Numenoreans would have invented it if they didn’t already. Early texts portray them as having ironclads, airships, possibly firearms, and it’s not clear that these aspects were discarded in later texts. Morgoth and Sauron could make steam engines, but they would get no use of them because their societies are based on endless supply of totally disposable slave labor. Labor saving devices are not purposeful to them.

If I recall, elves do not have a word for zero, so it’s not clear to me that they have a very advanced mathematics. Though you can do a good bit without zero.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

skasion posted:

Numenoreans would have invented it if they didn’t already. Early texts portray them as having ironclads, airships, possibly firearms, and it’s not clear that these aspects were discarded in later texts. Morgoth and Sauron could make steam engines, but they would get no use of them because their societies are based on endless supply of totally disposable slave labor. Labor saving devices are not purposeful to them.

If I recall, elves do not have a word for zero, so it’s not clear to me that they have a very advanced mathematics. Though you can do a good bit without zero.

So what you're saying is, Tolkien invented steampunk?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

SHISHKABOB posted:

Why hasn't anyone invented the steam engine in the last two thousand years of the third age?

Orcs probably have; we're told they like that kind of thing.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I bet elves are into Greek geometry stuff, like Pythagoras.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Runcible Cat posted:

Orcs probably have; we're told they like that kind of thing.

Wouldn't be surprising for Saruman to have had some, he was big on machinery as well.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can def fit a steam engine into the pits of orthanc or even the old mines of Moria.

Elves wouldn’t even care to make one if they could.

As for hobbits

quote:

Hobbits are an unobtrusive but very ancient people, more numerous formerly than they are today; for they love peace and quiet and good tilled earth: a well-ordered and well-farmed countryside was their favourite haunt. They do not and did not understand or like machines more complicated than a forge-bellows, a water-mill, or a hand-loom, though they were skilful with tools.

The inference from this is there are machines more complicated than bellows, mills and looms which would be....?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

my bony fealty posted:

It took human civilization like 10,000 years to invent the steam engine and I don't see the Sumerians crafting Silmarils and fighting wars with fallen Gods :colbert:

The Sumerians could've kicked Sauron's rear end.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Whenever someone says LOTR is good I think about the editing in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ec3SRTN8U

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Whenever someone says LOTR is good I think about the editing in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ec3SRTN8U

You must be a fun guy to watch movies with.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

Looked good to me. No complaints here.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like "too many cuts!" is on the verge of becoming a meme, as far as film criticisim among the terminally online goes. The action in that scene is clearly communicated, the shots are stable and easily processed, and the relative positions of Aragorn, Boromir, and Lúrtz are obvious. Alfonso Cuaron doesn't have to direct everything.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The thing is that the quick cuts are completely redundant. There's a moment to where they're shown from the back, and the camera cuts to show them from the back a couple of degrees to the right.

The irony of the movies is that despite each being three hours long, Jackson has no ability to linger on anything, which is why the visuals are so boring. There's a moment where Aragorn parries a thrown dagger with a sword, and it gets about a second of attention.

The fight is not even important in the narrative, it's Aragorn fighting a member of a black metal band.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's funny that of all the quick cuts in the scene you cite that one. They cut around Viggo breaking character after deflecting the knife rather than dodging it because it was a happy accident.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember that shot, it's a good one. I'm sure there are examples of not enough"lingering", though. I wouldn't say that the LotR movies are great movies, but they are good and I like them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mameluke posted:

It's funny that of all the quick cuts in the scene you cite that one. They cut around Viggo breaking character after deflecting the knife rather than dodging it because it was a happy accident.

That's an explanation why it's so underutilized, not a justification.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
When someone claims Fellowship is good I think about the whole rest of the movie before that sequence tbh.

It's a cheesy fight but still one of the best parts of the film.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The boss Uruk fight sucks. On top of being full of pointless cuts, having no basis in the text, and generally being long and silly (haha what if we referenced the end of Excalibur guys?), it just makes Aragorn look like a wimp (for the second time in the movie; he gets his rear end kicked by the cave troll too). The broader Uruk battle right before that is a decent action sequence, there’s a very pleasing tracking shot down the hill that I always remember. But the only good thing about this bit is Viggo accidentally parrying the knife throw.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

People literally cheered in the theater when Aragorn cut the guy's head off, I do not feel that it made him look like a wimp, it establishes the Uruk Hai as extremly dangerous, which is important for the drama of the next film.

It is not Jackie Chan fight scene mastery, no, but it's fine and worked in with a bunch of fun battle scenes in a fun movie.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

They’re already dangerous, they literally just killed Boromir and abducted the kids.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

People literally cheered in the theater

I’m sure that was the idea, yeah.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Yeah, and it worked really well and no one came out of the movie talking about how much of a pussy Aragorn was cause he got knocked around by Lurtz before easily killing him once it was a swordfight. Like yeah the guy who did The Raid would have done it better I guess.

And someone earlier said the movies are visually boring which is just silly given the extents they went to with character design, sets, matte paintings, landscape shots, etc. Like 5 minutes before that fight you had the Argonath depicted with wide, slow, sweepings shots and detailed to include erosion showing the massive blocks that made up the statues.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe this makes me lowbrow or whatever but that fight scene was seriously one of the best and most memorable things about that movie for me.

It was like no sword fight I'd ever seen before. It was frantic, desperate... spontaneous, or it felt that way. Most movie sword fights are these elaborately choreographed kung-fu ballets of parrying and fencing and dodging and baiting and taunting, and the camera follows them languidly in order to give the audience the best, clearest, most unobstructed picture of what's going on so they can appreciate all the perfectly crafted moves. But the Aragorn/Lurtz fight... all the rapid jump cuts, even crossing the 180-degree line unaccountably, is disorienting in such a way that I think can only be intentional. It makes me feel like he's really struggling for his life here. The shield whamming into the tree, that comes right out of left field—just like I imagine would happen in a real fight, it wouldn't be "aha he is attacking with Capo Fera, I must use Bonetti's defense against him", it would be like OH poo poo WTF HE THREW HIS SHIELD GOD drat HOW AM I STILL ALIVE.

And the batting the dagger away? Maybe it was accidental but it contributed oh-so-perfectly to the feel of the scene, like "ha, there is no way what I'm watching is a classic rehearsed duel between rule-abiding combatants". No matter how good you are at swordplay your character isn't going to be lauded for his ability to deflect a thrown dagger like a ninja deflecting bullets, especially since Aragorn is just lying on the ground flailing for his life, not standing in a "you can't touch me" Neo pose. I sat up at that moment and wondered just what the gently caress I was watching; it felt as though it was setting a new standard for what a genuinely serious movie sword fight to the death should be.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The irony of the movies is that despite each being three hours long, Jackson has no ability to linger on anything, which is why the visuals are so boring.

I was about to reply to this in utter bewilderment, but then I saw who said it.

Carry on. :discourse:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

And someone earlier said the movies are visually boring which is just silly given the extents they went to with character design, sets, matte paintings, landscape shots, etc. Like 5 minutes before that fight you had the Argonath depicted with wide, slow, sweepings shots and detailed to include erosion showing the massive blocks that made up the statues.

You can spent all the money in the world on designing a set and it still won't look good if you don't know how to direct a camera.

The Argonath sequence is a prime example of this, because it's over in a minute and at no point does the camera impress upon the audience the colossal nature of the statues. This is precisely because of the sweeping shots that constantly change angle and perspective.

A consisten sense of scale is what makes Talos in Jason of the Argonauts still stunning.

Data Graham posted:

It was like no sword fight I'd ever seen before. It was frantic, desperate... spontaneous, or it felt that way. Most movie sword fights are these elaborately choreographed kung-fu ballets of parrying and fencing and dodging and baiting and taunting, and the camera follows them languidly in order to give the audience the best, clearest, most unobstructed picture of what's going on so they can appreciate all the perfectly crafted moves.

Maybe you should watch more movies than Princess Bride and the LOTR trilogy.

It's not even very sensible as a life-or-death fight. The only reason Aragorn struggles is because for some reason he decided to jump on Lurtz... even though he could've just swung at him with the sword in his hand.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 23, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

They're not visually boring because of a lack of effort but because they're cliched. They look too much like fantasy videogames and the Aragorn fight looks a bit like it should have quick time prompts.

It could have been much worse I guess but I would probably have preferred it if there hadn't been movies at all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

Maybe this makes me lowbrow or whatever but that fight scene was seriously one of the best and most memorable things about that movie for me.

It was like no sword fight I'd ever seen before. It was frantic, desperate... spontaneous, or it felt that way. Most movie sword fights are these elaborately choreographed kung-fu ballets of parrying and fencing and dodging and baiting and taunting, and the camera follows them languidly in order to give the audience the best, clearest, most unobstructed picture of what's going on so they can appreciate all the perfectly crafted moves. But the Aragorn/Lurtz fight... all the rapid jump cuts, even crossing the 180-degree line unaccountably, is disorienting in such a way that I think can only be intentional. It makes me feel like he's really struggling for his life here. The shield whamming into the tree, that comes right out of left field—just like I imagine would happen in a real fight, it wouldn't be "aha he is attacking with Capo Fera, I must use Bonetti's defense against him", it would be like OH poo poo WTF HE THREW HIS SHIELD GOD drat HOW AM I STILL ALIVE.

And the batting the dagger away? Maybe it was accidental but it contributed oh-so-perfectly to the feel of the scene, like "ha, there is no way what I'm watching is a classic rehearsed duel between rule-abiding combatants". No matter how good you are at swordplay your character isn't going to be lauded for his ability to deflect a thrown dagger like a ninja deflecting bullets, especially since Aragorn is just lying on the ground flailing for his life, not standing in a "you can't touch me" Neo pose. I sat up at that moment and wondered just what the gently caress I was watching; it felt as though it was setting a new standard for what a genuinely serious movie sword fight to the death should be.

This is generally considered the best sword fight in film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiGsAOcoHk

It *is* a duel.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

You can spent all the money in the world on designing a set and it still won't look good if you don't know how to direct a camera.

The Argonath sequence is a prime example of this, because it's over in a minute and at no point does the camera impress upon the audience the colossal nature of the statues. This is precisely because of the sweeping shots that constantly change angle and perspective.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Great movie

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is generally considered the best sword fight in film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qiGsAOcoHk

It *is* a duel.

I mean ... great, but what I'm saying is that the LotR one was very different from that, and in a way I appreciated

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Shibawanko posted:

They're not visually boring because of a lack of effort but because they're cliched. They look too much like fantasy videogames and the Aragorn fight looks a bit like it should have quick time prompts.

It could have been much worse I guess but I would probably have preferred it if there hadn't been movies at all.

What video game before 2001 had quick time?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The idea that the frantic editing makes you "feel" Aragorn's struggle is based on the specious idea that you're supposed to empathize with characters in fiction.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A consisten sense of scale is what makes Talos in Jason of the Argonauts still stunning.

Attaching the clip so we are discussing the same thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlLC1kCH1ps

The only way you can claim the audience is not impressed with the size of the Argonath is a tremendously uncharitable interpretation of this. The camera changes angle and perspective to gradually reveal the size of the statues. You progress from the reveal of the face of one of them, to a wide shot with the boats visible that makes them look kinda big, to the upward angled shot which is paired to the shot of the boats looking tiny at the foot of the statue. And then to hammer it home, you see the tiny boats on the river, and birds flying from their nests in the statues head, and they are specks.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mattingly, I said TRIM those sideburns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and birds flying from their nests in the statues head, and they are specks.

That's my favorite detail of that scene.