Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Need some thoughts on the color scheme I am using for this assassin. Plan is a light bone color, but I am thinking about what color to make the body suit. How would a light gray suit with hints of blue look?

I did a test on the arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

kinda like skeletor which is p. wicked

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cat Face Joe posted:

kinda like skeletor which is p. wicked

Oh poo poo didn't even think of that. Felime suggested a GI Joe guy. Either way that's cool.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
yes, with purple armor

skeletor is go

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Professor Shark posted:

My goal is to get this order done tonight. I've decided to go ahead with a SM idea that is probably super lame but I've been bouncing around in my head since some GBS thread. I've decided to go with the White Scars painting method this guy did, only with aftermarket pauldrons with orange.

What is a good Cit White to buy if I want to go with his method of using Corax White as the base?

How'd you do your purple robes?

Just purple as a base, washed it with black, then glazed a white over the top and glazed back down to purple where needed.

Because of how thin I can get the paint with a bit of water I'm tending to just mix on the model, it seems faster.

Thanks for all the kind words dudes! I do a lot of painting on the computer, so while I haven't painted model since I was 13 I do have some experience with painting in general.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Having some issues with varnish at the moment. I airbrushed some tanks with Vallejo gloss and a couple of days later the damned stuff is still tacking onto surfaces I leave the model on. Its managed to pull off bits of paint when I pick them up because its sticking. The heck is going on here? I havent had this issue before, how can I fix it? Im wary of hitting it with a matt coat if the gloss isnt solid.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Mr Teatime posted:

Having some issues with varnish at the moment. I airbrushed some tanks with Vallejo gloss and a couple of days later the damned stuff is still tacking onto surfaces I leave the model on. Its managed to pull off bits of paint when I pick them up because its sticking. The heck is going on here? I havent had this issue before, how can I fix it? Im wary of hitting it with a matt coat if the gloss isnt solid.

Is it possible there was some cleaner agent or something in the brush before you shot the varnish?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The other option is that the plastic is not compatible with the accelerant or thinner you used; you see this a lot with Bones minis, where the PVC is chemically altered by spray accelerants and the paint or varnish always stays tacky.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross posting from 40k:

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

IPA Regulations posted:

Is it possible there was some cleaner agent or something in the brush before you shot the varnish?

Its possible there was a tiny residue of airbrush cleaner in there but I do flush with water after using it. Comparability shouldn't be an issue, its just vallejo gloss over gw/vallejo paints on gw plastic. Paints were for sure dry, it had been a few days. I mean I may have over sprayed the varnish but when I did it I thought id done a couple of thin coats, its not sitting here glassy as heck or anything.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

I want some feedback on this Ork Weirdboy i kitbashed from a Runtherd and some bits. I haven't done any green-stuff work on him, which i plan on adding some magical looking energy to his open hand, and something coming out of the staff, but i didn't know if i should add anything else? I'm looking to avoid an overly busy model, minus the magic stuff i plan on adding.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Crab-Stuffed posted:

Cross-posting from the Wh40k thread. I finished my first Tonka Taurox tonight (it's so tiny IRL - it could fit on the back of your passport):

https://imgur.com/gallery/DTzA8hq

This is great, I'm impressed by how clean your paint apps are, especially that striped section on the back. Great weathering, too.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

The Jumpoff posted:

I want some feedback on this Ork Weirdboy i kitbashed from a Runtherd and some bits. I haven't done any green-stuff work on him, which i plan on adding some magical looking energy to his open hand, and something coming out of the staff, but i didn't know if i should add anything else? I'm looking to avoid an overly busy model, minus the magic stuff i plan on adding.

I saw that on Reddit. Looks nice! Maybe add a space marine helmet somewhere on the staff?

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Mr Teatime posted:

Was it straight varnish, or did you use additives?
* Flow Improver adds, what I believe to be, something like soap (a surfactant) and alcohol. If there is too much of that, maybe the resins can't bind.

What was it sprayed on top of?
* Could the problem be the layer of paint below the varnish?

If it was raw varnish, and in top of fully dry acrylics, I would email Vallejo and tell them you got a lemon.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Racists are starting to self censor their loser flags

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Oh, is this the rear end in a top hat with the Confederate Battle Flag all over his stuff?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Ilor posted:

Oh, is this the rear end in a top hat with the Confederate Battle Flag all over his stuff?

Yeah

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I think it's also supposed to be a General Lee (the car) esque paint job? Not that it makes it better to be clear.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Where’s all the armies with 35 star American flags, you’d think there’d be people out there fronting for the winning team.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think it's also supposed to be a General Lee (the car) esque paint job? Not that it makes it better to be clear.

I was about to post that General Lee knights could be funny but then I noticed the dude's profile picture is a loving crusader with an American flag so hello alt-right.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember years ago there being a thread on Somethingawful to make fun of the Nazi community surrounding Warhammer. I see that community is still alive and well.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I said come in! posted:

I remember years ago there being a thread on Somethingawful to make fun of the Nazi community surrounding Warhammer. I see that community is still alive and well.

I don't know what it is about nationalism and Space Barbies but they've been linked for as long as I can remember.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Thanqol posted:

Prime white, basecoat Fire Dragon Bright. If you need to prime a different colour basecoat Jokero Orange and layer up to FD.

Check out the citadel paint app for basic questions like this, it's really good for 'what paints do I buy'.

That is basically a one-to-one match of khador red highlight from P3 which covers fantastically.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pro tip: Don't pick up models whose base rim is still wet

Pro-er tip: Should you disregard Rule #1, don't then set the model down and use that hand to take a photo with your phone

:doh:

edit; Oh, also I tried green stuffing some gaps for the first time in a very long time. Stuff is a pain to work with :downs:

Any tips on how to handle the nooks and crannies around my Castigator's iconography?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Pro tip: Don't pick up models whose base rim is still wet

Pro-er tip: Should you disregard Rule #1, don't then set the model down and use that hand to take a photo with your phone

:doh:

edit; Oh, also I tried green stuffing some gaps for the first time in a very long time. Stuff is a pain to work with :downs:

Any tips on how to handle the nooks and crannies around my Castigator's iconography?

Fill the gap below the surface and let it dry. Then thin some gs with a solvent or get the liquid kind and close it up.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Finally finished my first GW figure in at least a decade, since 5th edition anyway.

Actually love the new fantasy sculpts.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

That rust is real good.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I love skeletons, we're all gonna have one for the skeleton war

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This is great, I'm impressed by how clean your paint apps are, especially that striped section on the back. Great weathering, too.

Thank you! It's mostly drybrushing (straight from the Taurox WarhammerTV tutorial). I think doing a final (light) drybrush with the last highlight brings it together. All of the metal bits had a light drybrush of Necron Compound to help bring it together, too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Urrghghghghghhhhh how do you fuckers do things so quick, I spent two hours tonight and accomplished the chests of three Space Marines and most of one left arm. Also I learned the valuable lesson that trying to get gold to show up over blue results in thin_your_paints.jpg and I should have done the gold first, and I hate everything and what I did was crap. Tonight sucked.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Sab669 posted:

Loving your stormcast scheme, and that green armor looks awesome, great work.

Just curious, is that castigator a push-fit from the Soul Wars box and if so, do they all have such tough to deal with gaps? I have been thinking about picking up Soul Wars (the newest box is meh to me since I have no interest in skaven or FEC), but if the gaps are as bad as that I might just decide to skip it. After all, I have an entire seraphon army in my paint queue that I should probably pay some attention to.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 22, 2019

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

CapnAndy posted:

Urrghghghghghhhhh how do you fuckers do things so quick, I spent two hours tonight and accomplished the chests of three Space Marines and most of one left arm. Also I learned the valuable lesson that trying to get gold to show up over blue results in thin_your_paints.jpg and I should have done the gold first, and I hate everything and what I did was crap. Tonight sucked.

Use the biggest brush you can get away with.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Here's a random question: what, if anything, do you use to reinforce delicate resin/pewter bits? For spears/staffs, I usually just run a pin through it or replace it with brass, but some parts are too thin for that, e.g. (almost) true-scale swords/daggers. With pewter, it seems like "painting" a thin layer of superglue helps keep it from bending under moderate pressure, but maybe there's a better way. I suppose I could also essentially rebuild some stuff from scratch to be stronger, but that's not always feasible. Any thoughts?

(It's possible I'm being paranoid, but I like trying to come up with ways to make my figures as durable as possible.)

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Was it straight varnish, or did you use additives?
* Flow Improver adds, what I believe to be, something like soap (a surfactant) and alcohol. If there is too much of that, maybe the resins can't bind.

What was it sprayed on top of?
* Could the problem be the layer of paint below the varnish?

If it was raw varnish, and in top of fully dry acrylics, I would email Vallejo and tell them you got a lemon.

Ah buggery, I was using vallejo airbrush flow improver with it. I'll leave them out a few days and see if they improve.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If it’s a pushfit model, just clip the peg out and glue it normally. Those things often have mismatched pegs that leave big gaps.

Psyber Spine
Jan 18, 2019

CapnAndy posted:

One trick is to paint the area you want to be gold with a brown paint with a similar tone first.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mikey Purp posted:

Loving your stormcast scheme, and that green armor looks awesome, great work.

Just curious, is that castigator a push-fit from the Soul Wars box and if so, do they all have such tough to deal with gaps? I have been thinking about picking up Soul Wars (the newest box is meh to me since I have no interest in skaven or FEC), but if the gaps are as bad as that I might just decide to skip it. After all, I have an entire seraphon army in my paint queue that I should probably pay some attention to.

Thank you!

Yes everything I have is from Soul Wars and it pretty much all has awful pauldron gaps. I've tried filing down the pegs + plastic cement to melt the shoulders together but apparently it's not enough.

I think I might try just full on clipping the pegs like that other poster suggested

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

Practice. That's it. The more you paint the easier it gets. You make fewer mistakes, pick up tricks, etc.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Thanqol posted:

Use the biggest brush you can get away with.

This is the trick to all art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I forgot to reply to this when I replied to Mikey Purp.

Can you share some pictures of what you've done? How are you going about your scheme? Do you have a plan before you attack them?

My Stormcast scheme is insanely easy:

Prime silver
Wash green x2 (extremely quick, I do not care 1 bit if I get some on not-armor)
Rakarth Flesh (for the cloth)
Sepia wash the cloth x2
Gold trim for armor*
Druchii Violet wash the gold
Pig Iron for the silver

I consider my stuff to be a smidge above Table Quality. If I took more time to make everything perfect, then I could easily see myself being stuck on "3 chests in a night".

* I forget if it was this thread or the 40K thread where I was saying how much I love Retributor Armor [despite being $6], but holy poo poo Retributor Armor is such an effective gold. It coats very well. I'll try it over Blue tonight and see how it goes. If it doesn't go well, I suspect a layer of Brown then Retributor would work well.