Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So since I have the tastes of a middle aged Japanese lady, i booked a ticket for Takarazuka's take on Musashi Myamoto in Hyogo. Which means I'll be in Hyogo for a day at the start of April... what's a cool thing to do there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Archer666 posted:

So since I have the tastes of a middle aged Japanese lady, i booked a ticket for Takarazuka's take on Musashi Myamoto in Hyogo. Which means I'll be in Hyogo for a day at the start of April... what's a cool thing to do there?

Commit murder, if the newspapers are any guide.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Commit murder, if the newspapers are any guide.

Well, I was looking to kill some boredom...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There’s a woodworking tool museum in Sannomiya.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Watch takarazuka!!!

The Tezuka museum is nearby.

Hanami (the food/drinks in more important than flower quality, but hell yeah if you find a pink tree to sit under!)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hyogo literally means SOLDIER BARRACKS because they kept a lot of defense their to protect from FOREIGN VISITORS in Kobe Port.
So just go to Kobe ?!?!?!
(the answer is also Himeji)

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
this place is in kobe and the food/drinks are good and the staff is very nice. it's generally chill as gently caress. also cute birbs. go here for a bit imo.

http://birdcafe.jp/

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
takarazuka is a bit closer to osaka than kobe ftr, it's probably more time efficient to just do stuff around the umeda area

theres a bus that goes straight from takarazuka to koshien stadium if youre into baseball and its on, iirc around that time they have student games you can get in for very cheap/free

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
If we’re going to Tokyo in October, how feasible is it to get 3 tickets to the Ghibli museum now?

Do I need to get someone in Japan to buy the tickets or can I buy them online?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Nanigans posted:

If we’re going to Tokyo in October, how feasible is it to get 3 tickets to the Ghibli museum now?

Do I need to get someone in Japan to buy the tickets or can I buy them online?

The earliest Ghibli tickets go on sale is 4 months in advance. So you won’t be able to buy till July 1st. And you can buy online.

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket-information/

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

re: Kyoto

BB2K posted:

double the time for everything to account for wading through all the chinese tourists

sale on Banksy art posted:

Don't trust any itinerary that doesn't tell you to skip Kinkakuji.

How bad would that be in October? I've read that theres only one spot to really see it and thus everyone waits in line to take the same picture as everyone else so even if I don't plan on standing in line to take pictures and I am still wanting to see it 'in person', how awful an undertaking is that?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What part of October? The first week of October is the biggest non-family related holiday period in China so everywhere in Asia is going to be a mainlander apocalypse.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Grand Fromage posted:

What part of October? The first week of October is the biggest non-family related holiday period in China so everywhere in Asia is going to be a mainlander apocalypse.
Also, rugby World Cup.

Guess what time I’m also visiting Japan :v:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
jfyi, it's really easy to avoid mainlanders, you just need to go places that aren't the top five listings of every tourbook. there's lots of good stuff to see in Japan that won't be overrun.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hokkaido was very beautiful in October because it isn't on the mainland chinese lists because it isn't summer when a mainland chinese person should go to Hokkaido.

But yeah what Stringent said.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
But no go to Kyoto instead.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I dunno, I've been there during CNY and mainlanders were totally unavoidable in Osaka and Kyoto. Even out in the mountains they were everywhere. Tokyo is relatively easy if you don't go to Akihabara or Ginza.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

ntan1 posted:

Hokkaido was very beautiful in October because it isn't on the mainland chinese lists because it isn't summer when a mainland chinese person should go to Hokkaido.

But yeah what Stringent said.

I went to Sapporo during the Snow Festival/Lunar New Year. So many mainlanders. Day trips to Jozankei and Noboribetsu it would be like me, one other Westerner, a handful of Japanese and then 60 Chinese in the onsen.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I went to Sapporo during the Snow Festival/Lunar New Year. So many mainlanders. Day trips to Jozankei and Noboribetsu it would be like me, one other Westerner, a handful of Japanese and then 60 Chinese in the onsen.

Yeah, gently caress that noise.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I'll be there on the 4th until the 15th, so I guess I'm going to be in hell. I should probably hurry up and lock in my hotel/airbnb reservations too.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
If you want to be completely and utterly mainlander free you should hit up Fukushima.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Blackchamber posted:

I'll be there on the 4th until the 15th, so I guess I'm going to be in hell. I should probably hurry up and lock in my hotel/airbnb reservations too.

We’re going October 4-12!

So...if I’m primarily going to be in Tokyo, am I hosed?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tickets have sold the gently caress out for the Rugby World Cup as well, and whether that’s due to small allotments to the public / incompetence by those in charge, I still think we’re going to get a crush of Brits, Aussies, Kiwis and Pacific Islanders this year. Definitely going to be busy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nanigans posted:

We’re going October 4-12!

So...if I’m primarily going to be in Tokyo, am I hosed?

Akihabara is a PRC colony now, stay the hell out of there. Ginza will be full. Places like Yodobashi Camera will have huge lines of mainlanders buying 20 rice cookers or whatever.

Tokyo is big enough you can find plenty to do that shouldn't be too bad, just avoid the touristy stuff until the 7th. The flood will be over by then. The Yasukuni Shrine won't be crowded.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Might want to stay at an APA hotel.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Stringent posted:

Might want to stay at an APA hotel.

:drat:

That got me to laugh outline outloud in the goshuin line at asakusa shrine.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Besides Fukushima, cities where Chinese mainlander flights do not land are also going to be good.

Aomori, Yamagata, Shimane, Tottori, Eastern Hokkaido, and even places like Mie, Nagano, etc. are all good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
someone said aomori so now's the part where i say how aomori loving rules

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So me and my brother are going to Tokyo and Kyoto. Anyone want to meetup/hang out or just throw touristy stuff at us?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

... just avoid the touristy stuff until the 7th. The flood will be over by then.

The same will be true of Osaka and Kyoto right? I can find stuff to do elsewhere to soak up some culture for the first couple days... sadly from what I'm reading around the interwebs it seems like Osaka and Kyoto have become some hellscape of shoving, spitting, line cutting, and pissing Chinese tourists year round.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shiretoko in winter is a good place if you want to get away from tourists and still have a good time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

captkirk posted:

:drat:

That got me to laugh outline outloud in the goshuin line at asakusa shrine.

It got me to laugh out loud whilst taking a poo poo on the toilet, in my apartment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The apex of shitposting.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Ridic festivals in Ehime every weekend and also some weekdays in October!!! Somewhere in my post history…

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Chillyrabbit posted:

So me and my brother are going to Tokyo and Kyoto. Anyone want to meetup/hang out or just throw touristy stuff at us?

When exactly are you coming? And what kind of stuff are you guys interested in, Tokyo is full of stuff to do

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
No one ever goes to Shikoku but it is samurai as hell and I’m pretty sure no Chinese has ever set foot there.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

sale on Banksy art posted:

No one ever goes to Shikoku but it is samurai as hell and I’m pretty sure no Chinese has ever set foot there.

Please understand that "samurai as hell" is an unendorsement and the Chinese thing is probably true.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
To extend on that, samurai were basically maga chuds, and continue to be so to this day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stringent posted:

Please understand that "samurai as hell" is an unendorsement and the Chinese thing is probably true.

Nah there were a bunch in Takamatsu when I was there last summer. Certainly not like Osaka levels of course. And more of them were just normal solo traveling people rather than tour group hell so it wasn't bad.

Blackchamber posted:

The same will be true of Osaka and Kyoto right? I can find stuff to do elsewhere to soak up some culture for the first couple days... sadly from what I'm reading around the interwebs it seems like Osaka and Kyoto have become some hellscape of shoving, spitting, line cutting, and pissing Chinese tourists year round.

There are lots of mainlanders in both year round but the worst of it will be over by the 7th, the holiday is that week before.

Nara isn't nearly as bad, the only place I saw them was in the main park and it was good fun watching deer chase around terrified mainlanders who'd never seen wildlife before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Gotta be honest that I’m a little worried about “the mainlanders” now. :(

I guess I can make Oct 6 a day-trip day and go check out something outside of Tokyo.

If you could only recommend one place to go for a daytrip outside of Tokyo that won’t be flooded with tourists, what would you pick?

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 23, 2019