Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
We're using artifactory because it allows us to host all of our other repos (rpm, nuget, gem, etc) at the same time and because it's S3 backed it's fairly economical and we don't really have to worry about space issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Cloud Artifactory is hideously expensive in bandwidth and storage costs but does have tools for auditing your software supply chain similar to Sonatype stuff. If all you do is stuff things into a bucket and have metadata to describe them as your repo solution, self hosting may not be the worst idea. When you start looking for stuff like security analysis, provenance, etc then it makes sense to use the expensive stuff (which will probably also suck as general purpose repos). I think it’d be cheaper overall to use those tools as mirrored repos (backups) that are off of your primary day-to-day stuff from other sources and you can get the usability of non-enterprise CIO-ware with the CYA of your CIO-ware. Just need to make sure you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that artifact A corresponds at all times to artifact B in the mirror.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Completely, totally incorrect. Logstash's ES output in HTTP mode will respect username and password in any URL in the hosts option, or via the user and password fields. If you'd rather use a token than basic auth, you can use custom_headers. Beats has username and password options for Elasticsearch, or it can do TLS-based client authentication against Logstash's Beats input.

Late reply but thank you for the correction, this is good to know!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Warbird posted:

Everything's great except the fact that Github is blocked on the network for christ knows what reason so is the specific tool I was hired to work with. I've been advised to do research on my personal laptop and just email myself the code snippets I'm interested in.

Ironically often the reason GitHub is blocked is because people check company code into it so they can work on it at home. Now that they have free private repos maybe this will be less of a problem.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We use Amazon's ECR as we are becoming an Amazon shop and it mostly just works with kops and IAM creds

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

smackfu posted:

Ironically often the reason GitHub is blocked is because people check company code into it so they can work on it at home. Now that they have free private repos maybe this will be less of a problem.
people should know by now that you can't block stupid

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bhodi posted:

people should know by now that you can't block stupid
I think the least costly way for companies to fix this would be to structure incentives so people don't need to continue working when they leave the office or take a sick day

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

We run GitHub Enterprise in our DC and it's pretty nice, but we're a big Fortune 50 and I don't get any greens on my public GitHub profile now

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

I think the least costly way for companies to fix this would be to structure incentives so people don't need to continue working when they leave the office or take a sick day
Maybe in the long-term aggregate it's the least costly but the likelihood of that metric being used for decisions is unlikely compared to reactionary, superficial ones taken by most F100 CIOs to optimize for as many points you can accumulate in Gartner's Magic Quadrant for your company while avoiding the Russian Roulette spin of a newspaper headline with your company getting owned. Also, this is America where we're headed straight for Japan and Korea's inhumane work hours because we can't ever be behind anyone else :911:

smackfu posted:

This is kind of a theme among a few defense contractors that got fined / jailed for working from home recently because they just wanted to do more than what they could get done at work. Also seriously, I've been using Bitbucket for years because their private repos were free instead of Github so I don't see how free private Github repos will make it better for anyone that wants to work at home if the few bucks / mo were ever a big deal between making it public or private.

Maybe I'm really out of touch but I haven't had anything but a laptop for a company machine for over a decade now, so if you wanted to work on code at home generally you've been fine to do some local development at least at home. Do any software engineers besides CAD, game, and machine learning type folks get desktops from their employers these days?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

The only place I've seen desktops was at the railroad some years ago and even then only for the contract people. The unions there were super weird so those machines could only access 3 web pages and nothing else.

Back on topic, can anyone recommend some required Powershell reading? I'm doing Chocolatey packaging these days and some of the customizations I'm having to make are starting to stretch my abilities with working within the language.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

necrobobsledder posted:

Maybe I'm really out of touch but I haven't had anything but a laptop for a company machine for over a decade now, so if you wanted to work on code at home generally you've been fine to do some local development at least at home. Do any software engineers besides CAD, game, and machine learning type folks get desktops from their employers these days?

Desktops are still frequently seen in fintech because of paranoia about IP walking. In this case it’s a security thing rather than a performance thing. If you’re determined you can still figure out ways to get stuff out, and attitudes are shifting, but it’s an ongoing process. When I started in fintech 4 years ago at my current company, everything was desktops. I was one of the first to pilot laptops, and now probably 40% of engineering has a laptop instead of a desktop. As recently as last year when I talked to one particular hedge fund, they still used only desktops and required people to RDP in if they wanted to work remotely.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Warbird posted:

The only place I've seen desktops was at the railroad some years ago and even then only for the contract people. The unions there were super weird so those machines could only access 3 web pages and nothing else.

Back on topic, can anyone recommend some required Powershell reading? I'm doing Chocolatey packaging these days and some of the customizations I'm having to make are starting to stretch my abilities with working within the language.

Don't know of any specific texts but the Powershell thread might have some info:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3286440

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PowerShell in a Month of Lunches is the book goons always seem to rave about.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gods help me, I discovered Gravity from a random link yesterday and it's the first tool in the K8S ecosystem that ever looked tempting to me. That is, it seems to actually make using K8S simpler rather than piling more abstraction / configuration on top of it. Has anyone tried it?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Docjowles posted:

PowerShell in a Month of Lunches is the book goons always seem to rave about.

Oh right, I remember hearing something about that a few years ago. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll go eyeball the power shell thread as well.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ugh, I feel like our dev ops is turning back into dev and ops. Originally one dev team that was ahead of the curve wrote all the code for their Jenkins jobs and had admin access to Jenkins.

But as time has gone on, more developer teams have started using the existing jobs (which do work great) but not needing to write anything or being admins. To the point where we have a devops slack channel where developers are complaining that the Jenkins queue is too long and someone else from the original team now acting as ops promises to look into it.

Not sure what the fix is.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
If you have matrix authentication enabled you can try to give namespaces for different groups letting them have admin access. Really, delegation is important for scaling out permissions and giving transitive trust. Start with trusting the original group and have them deputized. My devs come to me when they have issues with network, firewalls, badly behaving external services, and reliability of nodes and that’s good enough separation of duties for me. If there’s jobs queued up for a while sounds like people are getting impatient (people here get antsy if a job is queued for more than 2 minutes when it takes 5 minutes to sense and launch a new node in the spot fleet).

Perhaps you should be using pipeline libraries more and then developers can try to work with each other more to share build code and they start to learn as a community better?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Thanks for the good ideas. I think another contributor is that there is just a single Jenkins executor pool so one team can impact every other team and the “ops” people need to sort it out. If our team had a dedicated slave we wouldn’t have to go running for help as often.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Oh man, no wonder you have problems with queueing up jobs. I solved this with a Jenkins focused EC2 spot fleet and we get a new slave up if a job is queued up for longer than 5 minutes or so (this mechanism is not well documented nor tunable at all unfortunately). All of our jobs are mutually exclusive to any other due to bad usage of a global .m2 repo directory so many of our nodes sit idle 70%+ of the time and then burst through 10+ jobs at once. We have a problem tracking code quality deltas wrt the primary branch and wind up needing to build the mainline branches alongside PRs so we need two nodes at a time to do a single build with the right feedback.

Other options include using K8S based Jenkins but given not all builds can be containerized effectively that may be a no-go as well.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

necrobobsledder posted:

Oh man, no wonder you have problems with queueing up jobs. I solved this with a Jenkins focused EC2 spot fleet and we get a new slave up if a job is queued up for longer than 5 minutes or so (this mechanism is not well documented nor tunable at all unfortunately). All of our jobs are mutually exclusive to any other due to bad usage of a global .m2 repo directory so many of our nodes sit idle 70%+ of the time and then burst through 10+ jobs at once. We have a problem tracking code quality deltas wrt the primary branch and wind up needing to build the mainline branches alongside PRs so we need two nodes at a time to do a single build with the right feedback.

Other options include using K8S based Jenkins but given not all builds can be containerized effectively that may be a no-go as well.

K8s Jenkins is an extremely bad idea

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
What’s everyone using for ingress with k8s? I’ve been using nginx and we’re not doing anything crazy with it, just wondering if there are any clear advantages to that or something else like traefik?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

What’s everyone using for ingress with k8s? I’ve been using nginx and we’re not doing anything crazy with it, just wondering if there are any clear advantages to that or something else like traefik?
My dumb hot take is that in almost all cases, if what you're doing requires a specific, customized ingress controller, using ingress is a square peg/round hole situation

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Haproxy and it works great except for now we use bgp announcing kube-router and the ingress is kind of pointless with routable pods and services

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Gods help me, I discovered Gravity from a random link yesterday and it's the first tool in the K8S ecosystem that ever looked tempting to me. That is, it seems to actually make using K8S simpler rather than piling more abstraction / configuration on top of it. Has anyone tried it?

I worked at gravitational, gravity is baller. Just saw they open sourced the community version, which rules. Happy to talk more about it if you have questions.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Haproxy and it works great except for now we use bgp announcing kube-router and the ingress is kind of pointless with routable pods and services

Noooooo......

Why.......

I’m so sorry.

Fwiw I’ve pushed us towards nginx just because it’s simple and supports our WAF. Istio gateway is terrible and you should avoid it.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Traefik's worked pretty well for us for L7. I usually deploy it with a wildcard TLS certificate for a given subdomain and then everyone who registers an ingress under that subdomain gets TLS termination for free. The main downside is you still need some sort of exterior LB to direct traffic to the various ingresses. We use DNS load balancing with an occasional health check, but you could probably do a lot better with an F5 pair, or ELB, or basically anything else.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

hissssssssssssssssssssssssss

While I'm a big fan of Calico, I view routable pods/services as breaking encapsulation. I don't want anyone pointing directly to a particular pod and then complaining when that pod crashes, or a deployment recycle changes all the pod identities and CNI hands out new IPs. I want traffic into a cluster to come in through static entry points and then get routed from there; ideally nobody using an application in the cluster should have to know anything but a hostname to connect to. Obviously this is kind of dogmatic and your situation may be different, but it would take a fair amount of activation energy to convince me that the right solution involves bypassing ingress controllers.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Have your service IP subnet range be public and ECMP route to it :unsmigghh:

serious answer, I think bgp peering your k8s service IP range to the rest of your internal datacenter with ECMP is actually the best way to do it. You can set up a scheme where real DNS records are created for Service IPs in addition to the normal service-name.namespace.cluster.local ones you normally get.

Routing to pods directly is super dumb, but routing to service IPs is fine.

Its more complicated and lovely when you need to receive from internet clients and not just other things in your DC. I really like Github's approach to how they do it.
https://githubengineering.com/introducing-glb/
https://githubengineering.com/glb-director-open-source-load-balancer/
https://github.com/github/glb-director
https://githubengineering.com/kubernetes-at-github/

This is all for if you're doing it yourself on prem. If you're in aws please just use elb.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 18, 2019

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

We are using zalando’s “skipper” project for ingress. I don’t know why, and the people that made that decision have left the company. I’m in a position to change it up if there is a good reason.

Anyone else familiar with it at all? It’s working fine and I have no complaints. Just curious since I haven’t heard it mentioned much. But zalando is super active in the k8s community so it’s not total abandonware at least.

We are in AWS so it’s fronted by an ALB.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Anyone using CircleCI heavily?

We're piloting and generally pleased - about to pay into them but want to see if there are any worts I'm missing first

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Posting this here as the Powershell thread appears to be hella dead:

Any of you folks use Chocolatey? I've got an Oracle client that is being an absolute fucker and I'm fairly sure that I'm missing something. We have n response file for the install, but the executable requires a full path to said file. No ./tools/foo.rsp here. I can run the install straight from PS just fine, but once it goes into Chocolatey it breaks all to hell; the exit code is consistent with being unable to find the response file. I've copied the file to C: just to have it in a static place outside of the packaging process, but it still fails during packing install. Anyone have any suggestions on potential next steps to resolve? I'm currently out of ideas.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Methanar posted:

This is all for if you're doing it yourself on prem. If you're in aws please just use elb.
Any reason to prefer ELB over ALB?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
ELB is the only AWS LB that lets you use both TCP and HTTP based targets from the same LB. Most of the stock K8S ingress controllers I’ve seen only supported classic ELBs anyway and wouldn’t use the newest ALB based ingress controllers. The ingress controllers from AWS want you to use their CNI for the network overlay and that’s just asking for issues at this point unless you have some serious discipline to avoid the drawbacks and limitations.

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Warbird posted:

Posting this here as the Powershell thread appears to be hella dead:

Any of you folks use Chocolatey? I've got an Oracle client that is being an absolute fucker and I'm fairly sure that I'm missing something. We have n response file for the install, but the executable requires a full path to said file. No ./tools/foo.rsp here. I can run the install straight from PS just fine, but once it goes into Chocolatey it breaks all to hell; the exit code is consistent with being unable to find the response file. I've copied the file to C: just to have it in a static place outside of the packaging process, but it still fails during packing install. Anyone have any suggestions on potential next steps to resolve? I'm currently out of ideas.

Is the answerfile included in the package? Can you use Resolve-Path on ./tools/foo.rsp to get the absolute path and pass that in? If you're passing it in through $silentArgs you might have to watch how quotes and variables get escaped too.

Remember, ChocolateyInstall.ps1 is just a Powershell script, so any pre-processing or input sanitation you could do in PS you can do here.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Way ahead of you there friend. I think the fellow that was working on the package before me messed something up in the nuspec or install file and I didn't notice. I did a clean start with the package generator I wrote and it's breaking in a far more reasonable way that's telling me what it has issues with now. Hopefully should just be a matter of time, but man has this been a pain.

Meta talk, a manager from another team has been trying to poach me to come over and work on Ansible based stuff as opposed to just windows (choco) packaging. I'm assuming this would be a better career move as Ansible has wider applications and adopotions than Chocolatey at this point. Plus I could use more experience in the provisioning world. Thoughts?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Choco is like apt-get, ansible is way different than just a package manager.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Being a full-time Chocolatey packager sounds like an extremely boring and limited role (I could be totally wrong, I don't mean to poo poo on your job), and unlikely to translate well into new roles if/when it's time for you to move on. So yeah, I would be looking for opportunities to get into something else in that situation.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Writing clean terraform is so nice. Now the countdown begins til we abandon it.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I don't get the Terraform (mild?) hate - We have 24 AWS accounts with over 200 servers managed entirely in Terraform. Recently our on-premises subnets changed and it took all of 10 minutes to roll it out to everyone's code.

The only people I work with who actually hate it are the old infrastructure teams who cry whilst cuddling their old Dell blades.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Anyone have a good aws terraform example config for something like that? We're bringing up a new vpc from scratch and want to switch to autogenerating the subnets, sgs, iam roles and such and I don't really want to fall into any obvious traps.

Any good whitepapers or blogs on this? Like, some vpcs are nearly permanent you might want a different state store than your apps just to prevent accidents? Stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Small tasks become cumbersome, like making a small tweak is very easy to do in the UI but maybe hard and time consuming in tf. And if you do use tf since it can reconcile global state, it sometimes starts editing things you don’t want. Peering for example is easier to do in the UI across accounts, but then adding those routes in is a nightmare.

Kubernetes also makes it semi-useless, because kubernetes duplicates a ton of or in some cases will fight terraform, and cause things to break.

It’s also always made me nervous with databases like rds, as it thinks it needs to regenerate things sometimes and if you aren’t paying attention oops!

24 accounts is a lot for only 200 servers? We have like 15 and run thousands(although I am coming to understand that this is because devs have no idea what they are running)