Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

E: That Leviathan map is super loving rad. I’ve always been a fan of that one. I love how Germany is just one giant gun pointed at Russia’s head.

You can order a print of it!

https://www.keiththompsonart.com/pages/grandmap.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chieves posted:

Tag urself, I'm the perfectly straight line where the continents stop.

I'm the Great Waste

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I love this one for the art style and because it's a reference to period political cartoons:

drat this is the best map. Especially the Scandinavian trolls.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the trolls in norway and sweden always remind me of the king of the sea in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeWT1Eu2Rc

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How does someone become this delusional?

Like you should be locked in a padded cell if you believe the fat man has even started new chapters, let alone finished two books.

If Westworld can get away with releasing 1 season every 2 years without losing viewers, then Game of Thrones could have and should have done the same early on to give AFFC & ADWD a fair shot.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Yeah my immediate thought to that was there's a bunch of kid characters, it's already a problem how fast they age vs the show.

And somehow he's decrying them not copying on to the series rot.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
yeah but the thing is westworld was actually good for a while there

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

yeah but the thing is westworld was actually good for a while there

For like 2/3 of a season it was.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Something that will never stop being funny to me is Rufus Sewell plays Obergruppenfuhrer Smith, a nazi that's diabolical even by nazi standards, and everyone is like "hey, Rufus, I love you in that show, when's season 4?" but Jack Gleeson played Joffrey and people walk up to him like "I hope you loving die, you little poo poo".

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Something that will never stop being funny to me is Rufus Sewell plays Obergruppenfuhrer Smith, a nazi that's diabolical even by nazi standards, and everyone is like "hey, Rufus, I love you in that show, when's season 4?" but Jack Gleeson played Joffrey and people walk up to him like "I hope you loving die, you little poo poo".

His character in Man in the High Castle changes a lot though

Joffrey went from annoyingly pink to bright purple as a development and when Lena put on the waterworks that's exactly the first and last time you care about him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

syscall girl posted:

His character in Man in the High Castle changes a lot though

Joffrey went from annoyingly pink to bright purple as a development and when Lena put on the waterworks that's exactly the first and last time you care about him

Plus, Rufus Sewell's been acting for 30 years now playing all sorts of good guys and bad guys, he's a bit of a niche-but-known commodity. The only two roles Jack Gleeson's known for is that kid in Batman Begins who thinks Batman's super cool and Joffrey, who was bascially one of the most petulantly cruel characters in modern visual media. People expect a Nazi to do diabolical poo poo, that's kind of coded into the whole "is a Nazi" thing, it's still somewhat conscious shocking when they see a kid who looks like he should be in a high school chess club being insanely sadistic and enjoying the gently caress out of it.

I'm just sad that Jack Gleeson was traumatized out of acting because people can't distinguish fantasy from reality because he could have nailed any role that was offered to him after pulling off Joffrey as well as he did.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Yeah, it really sucks, but I would be pretty drat proud of myself if I was getting death threats for portraying an evil character so well.

Like, oh, you played a serial killer in a movie and people think you're a weirdo now? That's cute.

I can't eat a meal in peace without someone wanting to fight me over "what I did" to the nice redhead girl on the silly dragon show.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

pseudanonymous posted:

40% late is a lot late for a book, especially when you're an old extremely fat man who gets and has gotten no exercise for years and years. I mean I get it, I just think its kind of bizarre.

I don't think it's so bad - People just don't realize that it took him loving forever to write the books when nothing was happening in his life. Now like EVERYTHING is happening. Not making excuses for him, he's an absolute fucker, and the books will be finished by his publisher. I forget his publisher "manager" or whatever they are called. That poor woman deserves a loving drink.

Doctor Faustine posted:

Lena Headey is a real trooper and honestly I’m high key #TeamCersei at this point since she’s the only one still selling her performance.

I'll bet you can't even visualize 3 different expressions of hers. She's like the grinch on botox.

I can't eat a meal in peace without someone wanting to fight me over "what I did" to the nice redhead girl on the silly dragon show.

Why hasn't he been working btw - seems he could ride that Villain Typecast poo poo for a whole career.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

Why hasn't he been working btw - seems he could ride that Villain Typecast poo poo for a whole career.

He spent his money insanely wisely.

He retired and is working on a Ph.D.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah. He said for years before the Purple Wedding episode that he was quitting acting and going to be become a university professor once his time as Joffrey was up, and he's pretty much on his way there now. I think he runs a local theater company in Belfast, or at least supports it financially as well. So he yeah he basically made bank and got out when the time was right. Like Frankie Muniz minus the whole "horrifying freak long-term memory loss" thing.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eh.
Getting a PhD is not something inherently wise.
Unless of course he is set for life at this point.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Cardiac posted:

Eh.

He's retired, so yeah,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Eh.

The guy said he plans to teach theology at a university level, so yeah getting a PhD is a wise move for that particular career path...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm really amused when I imagine some college stoner kid who grew up on GoT deciding to take theology just on a lark, showing up for the first day of class, and King loving Jeoffy is sitting at the front of the room.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Today we will discuss the Seven. Open your copies of Clash of Kings to page 173 and let's begin.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
my favorite is the stranger and i've been sitting on my hand for half an hour in tribute

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
It’ll be like when Emma Watson went to Brown but had to take a lot of time off because she was bombarded with Hermione jokes.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Huh, well good for him. I mean, not sure teaching theology is the wisest course , but at least he'll avoid getting molested by hollywood execs.

edit: he's 26 loving years old?! That's no childhood. Dude should have stuck to acting. Teaching is the job you fall back on after your dreams have been crushed.

syscall girl posted:

my favorite is the stranger and i've been sitting on my hand for half an hour in tribute

kcroy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2019

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

kcroy posted:

Teaching is the job you fall back on after your dreams have been crushed.

How do you know that acting is his dream? It may have turned out to be his nightmare, look at those kids from Malcolm in the Middle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Collateral posted:

How do you know that acting is his dream? It may have turned out to be his nightmare, look at those kids from Malcolm in the Middle.

I guess it's almost just as well then that Frankie Muniz has a freak brain condition that causes long term memory loss. He's said he can't even remember working on Malcolm in the Middle anymore, it's gotten that bad.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Why do the other kids hate MitM?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He could have had any role he wanted in like 500 different YA movie adaptations no problem. If he's really blaming it on being too good at being Joffrey then it's a silly excuse.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He could have had any role he wanted in like 500 different YA movie adaptations no problem. If he's really blaming it on being too good at being Joffrey then it's a silly excuse.

He didn't blame it on anything, he just wasn't interested in acting long term and switched to a profession that does interest him.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah that's the same I've heard of it, wasn't sure if things had changed since then. The whole "HE WAS TOO GOOD" thing seems like other people trying to create a narrative that doesn't make any sense at all. It's not like he was Jake Lloyd or something.

Plus Hollywood looooooooves stunt-casting GOT people, it's been like the staple of the movie industry for the past like 5 years now. He absolutely could have been in on that if he wanted.

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
Sounds to me like he's doing what he wants and that's fine. I'm sure if he ever wanted to go back to acting he would be able to.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1098031638288654337

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Can’t wait to not even know it even aired anywhere and then read on io9 or r/televison that it’s been canceled.

tbf that was in response to the announcement of the WILD CARDS show, but it's unsurprisingly evergreen

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Plus Hollywood looooooooves stunt-casting GOT people, it's been like the staple of the movie industry for the past like 5 years now. He absolutely could have been in on that if he wanted.

To be fair, other than Dinklage it has been mostly the ones that can’t actually act - Clarke most egregiously - who have become Hollywood darlings. So he may not have been so fortunate.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We're nearing 8 years worth of this show and people I work with still don't know Daenerys' name.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Kelly C, right?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're nearing 8 years worth of this show and people I work with still don't know Daenerys' name.

every time she says it it reminds me of Dot on Animaniacs

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

lol

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ffs, I really liked Nightflyers. I mostly watched it because some dumbass on a 40k reddit said it was inspired by a wargame far younger than the novella, and I definitely can see why said redditor interpreted it that way; there's a psyker, the ship is haunted, and they're in deep space to meet an utterly inhuman intelligence.

It was a cool little show.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is the first season a complete story or is it now a cliffhanger that will never be resolved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I watched ten minutes and it really felt like a poor man's Expanse.