Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
No one's found any sizeable leads so far, imo. There's so much unstructured dead space, I'm not sure there will be a building match. Maybe the tree branches are a river sistem that someone will recognize.

Also, the facebook page is still refreshingly chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Visual references to Queens and Sheepshead. Branches outline Manhattan & Long Island (home of Queens & Sheepshead). Yeah. That’s what I’m rolling with.

By “rolling with” I mean doing absolutely nothing.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
I've been working on something I think might have legs.

The top of the wall and the leash under the window resemble the top and bottom of the liberty bell:

Go east from there along the same street and we "Cross four spans" of highway across the river:

A few blocks more along the same street, and we reach the "Dragon of the C"

No idea where to go from here

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Visual references to Queens and Sheepshead. Branches outline Manhattan & Long Island (home of Queens & Sheepshead). Yeah. That’s what I’m rolling with.

By “rolling with” I mean doing absolutely nothing.

I did take more time to look at your suggestion about Manhattan, which I can see, but can you be a little more specific about what you are seeing as Long Island? I want to make sure we are on the same page.

The only reason I was so quick to dismiss the notion that we should actually be looking in NYC for the casque is I didn't think it would be in a place where we are sure another casque is actually buried, unless "your way has a twin" means its going to be in a city we already feel a casque is buried. I've seen several ideas about what that line means. Again I will say it depends on your definition of "tribute". For now, I've been looking at every municipality in the country named "Byron". Or it could just be somewhere in Brooklyn. I've listened to all the podcasts, and I appreciate everything Burnstyle said about having to try to get into JM's mind about what he did or didn't think was important. As far as Map outlines and negative space, I have been looking at counties. I think the area around the leg might be a county limit as it doesnt match any city. Or it's nothing. I feel there is perhaps a bit of red herring negative space going on, but I'm looking at all options. I will say though I have spent very little time on the branches and the sky. I am more concerned with the negative space around the bottom of the image.

At the end of the day, only 2 of the original 12 have been found, so do we really know what is or isn't important? We were already told the few things we knew as a pattern such as the lat and long. of a given city weren't going to be used. So we are left looking at one side of the bottom being curved and one side being at a sharp angle, because that may mean something. I'm just kind of spitballing here, but when it's all said and done if the negative space around the boot in image 13 really is Sherman's March, I said it first.

The thing hanging from the string definitely looks like the hubcap of a municipal bus though.

Have a fun one I posted on Q4T:

"Merlot Brougham Posted on Q4T posted:

Are you taking the approach that "Your way has a twin" means the 13th Cask is going to be buried within a very short distance of where we know one of the original casques was also buried?

I'm not sure that feels right to me.

Here - Have a pure verse solve that has no reference whatsoever in the image, but deals with twins:

Cooperstown, NY. The Baseball hall of fame has Twins. Seven of them to be exact. A twin is also a double, like Abner Doubleday. A four seam fastball crosses four spans and is an emblem of Base Ball (as originally spelled and capitalized).

The above makes as much sense to me as "Your way has a Twin = Minneapolis". That's 1960's Adam West Batman Riddler Episode level stuff.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 20, 2019

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Caking urban Smurf calling urban smurf.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Drunk Nerds:

Wasn't Brian Zinn first focused on Philadelphia (for decades)?

I'm sure he's watching the FB page or q4t -- would be interesting to hear his take!

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

GoldenFuckingGate posted:

Drunk Nerds:

I'm sure he's watching the FB page or q4t -- would be interesting to hear his take!

I'm not sure if "decades" is quite accurate, but it is true that the Cleveland image was never considered Cleveland until the very brief period of time before it was dug.

There was also speculation it was Philadelphia, but I will let Drunk Nerds take it from here since he was the addressee of your question.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds:

Yes. Decades. Since he was in college in the early 80s until, as Merlot mentioned, a few weeks before he went to Cleveland and dug it up.

That's what's beautiful about these "I know 100% where it is" people: Both Zinn and Wrobel had the sense to adjust their initial ideas in light of new information, and that led to a cask. Zinn had tunneled Philly for 20+ years but when new info came up, he was willing to adjust his theory instantly.

You can actually go to the Image 4 thread in Q4T and watch it happen in realtime, that thread goes back to at least 2002.

You should try friending Zinn on facebook. I'm not friends with him, but Wrobel is super active and friendly and I hear Zinn is the same.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yes. Decades.

Everyone pads their stats on how long they've been on this, you know that.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

Everyone pads their stats on how long they've been on this, you know that.

When it comes to Brian Zinn, I believe it. He bought the book new and recounted how he was convinced it was in Philadelphia when he was in college there.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
via Imgflip Meme Generator

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

When it comes to Brian Zinn, I believe it. He bought the book new and recounted how he was convinced it was in Philadelphia when he was in college there.

I was making a joke. Nobody's questioning his tenacity in the least. Although I hope his college experience included more than pouring over The Secret while failing midterms.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

I was making a joke. Nobody's questioning his tenacity in the least. Although I hope his college experience included more than pouring over The Secret while failing midterms.

It's fun to see an outsider (in this case Golden Gate) come to the realization that we've already run out all the dumbasses from this thread. Golden Gate, welcome to the board Burnstyle calls his "vacation home away from the crazy"

Edit: New av... alright, Jenny's cool

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Feb 20, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

Ha, yeah, I'm guessing at one point he put the book away to go after that law degree thing.

One thing Zinn didn't learn in college: pink short shorts are never a good idea. (But what do I know... maybe they're good luck -- if so I'd put them on for a day of digging.)

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Anyone want to have some real discussion about the 13th Cask? I've mostly posted serious thoughts.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

One thing Zinn didn't learn in college: pink short shorts are never a good idea.

One of my favorite, all-time moments in this hunt was Andy recounting going to bed at 3 AM in a Cleveland hotel, then getting up at 7 AM to go find the cask. I believe this is from the third podcast episode. He goes to check out, and the hotel desk clerk says, "you know, we usually don't rent rooms for a few hours." At first Andy is embarrassed he's been mistaken for a male prostitute and starts to explain... then Brian Zinn comes up in his pink shorts, lays a map on the table, and says "Oh, no, this is what we're doing: Between two countries means the Greek and Italian Gardens, there's a treasure in there we have to dig up and-" and Andy is like, "you know what? Yeah, I'm a male prostitute, because that's less embarrassing than what is going on right now"

Those guys are 10/10 charming

Merlot Brougham posted:

Anyone want to have some real discussion about the 13th Cask? I've mostly posted serious thoughts.

Check out my Philly theory, would love to hear your ideas/refutations. I agree 100% it's not in NYC. Not just because there was already a casque there, but also because, how the hell you gonna narrow down all of NYC to a 1x1 square with a 13-line verse and a painting with ~ 15 images in it?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 20, 2019

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018

Merlot Brougham posted:

DRUNK NERDS:
I really like your Philly theory. So far the cleanest I've read. The Liberty Bell crack is the only "crack" in the rundown for me... feels like maybe too fragmentary of a match.

I don't have a city theory yet.

I do think the face is a Kit Palancar self portrait. I've seen a few of his self portraits... it's not far off. If not that maybe it's him doing a profile of his father as a young man since it's a "tribute". This is also me saying I don't think the face is supposed to represent one-to-one any statue or person of note. That's just my gut take on it.

Working out a few other thoughts but absolutely don't think the building is the Alamo.

In some ways I also feel this image requires far more interpretation than the originals. I'm of the school that those were made to be obscured but fairly straight forward visually, but have become more difficult to solve purely because time changes the landscape. I believe Preiss wanted them to be difficult but obvious in hindsight. And while this is a "Tribute" I feel, as others have mentioned, it's more about JM and Kit's interpretation of how the original puzzles worked.

But there ARE wolves. So many. And a birdoffalo.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 20, 2019

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

Drunk Nerds:

Isn't Zinn the official keeper of the Tribute Hunt solutions and associated information?
If so, I don't think it would allow him to comment in any way. It's too bad because I would like to hear his take as well.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DRUNK NERDS:
I really like your Philly theory. So far the cleanest I've read. The Liberty Bell crack is the only "crack" in the rundown for me... feels like maybe too fragmentary of a match.

I don't have a city theory yet.

I do think the face is a Kit Palancar self portrait. I've seen a few of his self portraits... it's not far off. If not that maybe it's him doing a profile of his father as a young man since it's a "tribute". This is also me saying I don't think the face is supposed to represent one-to-one any statue or person of note. That's just my gut take on it.

Working out a few other thoughts but absolutely don't think the building is the Alamo.

In some ways I also feel this image requires far more interpretation than the originals. I'm of the school that those were made to be obscured but fairly straight forward visually, but have become more difficult to solve purely because time changes the landscape. I believe Preiss wanted them to be difficult but obvious in hindsight. And while this is a "Tribute" I feel, as others have mentioned, it's more about JM and Kit's interpretation of how the original puzzles worked.

But there ARE wolves. So many. And a birdoffalo.

Definitely the "crack" is meaningless. Every image everywhere has a line that bends slightly.

On the page, we're wondering if we're now supposed to double back over the river. The verse says "cross four spans" but we've only crossed one. JM mentioned a theory for Milwaukee that Preiss wanted us to go around the loop twice, so maybe this is like that.

But which span? Chestnut, Walnut, or JFK?

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
when you turn the image upside-down, the thing in the bottom left now reads "up"

Thus, I guess it's in Darwin, Australia. Take it away boys

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
Image 13 Verse 13

As this is home base for me, I figured I would quasi crosspost the point I made that the facade in Image 13 doesn't look like the Alamo. Some serious confirmation bias going on with that one merely because the first person to throw out an idea mentioned the Alamo. Suddenly everyone is seeing the Alamo and Sitting Bull.

I was entertaining the idea that some of the negative space/outlines were a map of Sherman's March. I'm making ZERO claims to the accuracy of that, but I will say with 100% certainty, there are many Civil War era images of the facades of buildings in fallen Confederate cities that match better than The Alamo, if we're going that route.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 21, 2019

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13 Verse 13

As this is home base for me, I figured I would quasi crosspost the point I made that the facade in Image 13 doesn't look like the Alamo. Some serious confirmation bias going on with that one merely because the first person to throw out an idea mentioned the Alamo. Suddenly everyone is seeing the Alamo and Sitting Bull.

I was entertaining the idea that some of the negative space/outlines were a map of Sherman's March. I'm making ZERO claims to the accuracy of that, but I will say with 100% certainty, there are many Civil War era images of the facades of buildings in fallen Confederate cities that match better than The Alamo, if we're going that route.

I'm a little shocked that the Alamo stuck...

Cons:
One is brick, the other is not
One's rounded at the top, the other is flat
One is part of a building, the other is just a wall
They look nothing like each other

Pro:
They... both have tall windows?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm a little shocked that the Alamo stuck...

Cons:
One is brick, the other is not
One's rounded at the top, the other is flat
One is part of a building, the other is just a wall
They look nothing like each other

Pro:
They... both have tall windows?

It's Carolina Marsh Tackies all the way down.

Suppose that really is the Alamo, there sure as poo poo isn't a cask buried next to Peewee's bike. We'd have to UrbanSmurf the life of David Crockett. I didn't see any maps of the "Davy" Crockett birthplace in Limestone, TN (Limestone = Twin) that matched any negative space, nor any of the locations of his travels, nor does that "travels of Davy Crockett" Map match any of the lines in the image I could find.

edit: I got a strong feeling the "bricks" in Image 13 were a late addition as far as how the painting was constructed.

Merlot Brougham fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 21, 2019

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think he’s on to something!!!

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
The blob shape where her foot is touching looks a little like the shape of Minnesota...180-degrees.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Feb 21, 2019

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Urban Smurf posted:

The blob shape where her foot is touching looks a little like the shape of Minnesota...180-degrees.

Low effort post :(

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Please allow him warm up

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

DeNofa posted:

I think he’s on to something!!!

Ahaahahah. Wot.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person
Philly would work with what I know about it....

Still don't think it's in a park though.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13 Verse 13

As this is home base for me, I figured I would quasi crosspost the point I made that the facade in Image 13 doesn't look like the Alamo. Some serious confirmation bias going on with that one merely because the first person to throw out an idea mentioned the Alamo.

I'm really loving the Alamo connection because it seems to have created a quarantine zone for people who take a transcendental approach to solving the puzzle. They get to have fun solving, and people espousing other cities are busy putting their theories to the test and finding a lack of image matches and clues to be a sign they should move on and try a different city, which is great for making sure we eventually find that iconic image JM talks about in a lot of the podcasts

And, hey, maybe it is the Alamo. If so, someone tunneling that spot is just as likely to find a concrete image match as someone using a prudent, unobjective POV

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 23, 2019

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Guys the texas thing was a joke i was listening to ozzy and that popped into my head for obvious reasons

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

stab posted:

Guys the texas thing was a joke i was listening to ozzy and that popped into my head for obvious reasons

Well, you should feel good, because a lot of Lone Star State people are having a good time taking it seriously.

burnstyle
Jan 9, 2015

Sometimes a nut job...
Sometimes a really good person

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13 Verse 13

Pretty sure you are using the wrong verse for that image. ;)

3M TA3
Oct 1, 2018

burnstyle posted:

Pretty sure you are using the wrong verse for that image. ;)

Strong disagree.

I have decoded 43 different matches from the image in combination with 37 different verse readings.
I know that I am 1000% correct. I have emailed the publisher of the book, Josh Gates, Expedition Unknown, the Travel Channel, Discovery Channel, James Renner, the Palencar family and the Preiss family. All of them agree with me and that’s all I need to claim that I have solved this tribute hunt. Recovering the casque and prizes are not important to me.

3M TA3 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

did anyone find the treasure yet?

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Chard posted:

did anyone find the treasure yet?

Yes, but now we're all sworn to secrecy. Sorry.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Merlot Brougham posted:

Image 13 / Verse 13

Here are the new image and verse:

There's a number 8 on the bottom right wing of the butterfly.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong

Nocheez posted:

There's a number 8 on the bottom right wing of the butterfly.

Not for you directly, but a general FYI

There was a message in the directions that latitudes and longitudes would not be hidden in this image like the originals

If we are to agree it is an 8, the meaning is going to be something else. Even if not an 8, there is quite the symmetry break on the butterfly.

GoldenFuckingGate
Sep 5, 2018
Tough news:

It seems that some didn't get their pareidolia vaccinations and the disease has spread rampantly through the Tribute Casque Facebook page.

It's a nasty condition... I hope they pull through.

GoldenFuckingGate fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hey guys just clicked on this thread. Can anyone summarize up till now?