Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

the dark secret of this, the BSS Bad Thread, is that anyone who cares enough to check the thread to quote this post still has a deep-seated fondness for at least part of the comic, despite how much they might protest to the contrary that no, they actually hate it

poo poo you got me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

the dark secret of this, the BSS Bad Thread, is that anyone who cares enough to check the thread to quote this post still has a deep-seated fondness for at least part of the comic, despite how much they might protest to the contrary that no, they actually hate it

Homestuck was awful and when is the epilogue

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bilirubin posted:

You can find the epilogue by looking inside the nearest full dumpster

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

the epilogue already came out on snapch... oh wait

well at least the epilogue came out on the epic hitler ARG webpa... oh.

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
I would not be surprised if on the last page of the last Homestuck book there will be a QR-code to the epilogue and it is one of those Alternia-bound games. Seems Hussie enough.
Also possible that he just drops it on some random day completely and utterly without any fanfare. That is also something Hussie could do.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The process for making one of those is pretty involved, and might be harder with the team demobilized and the fandom scattered. Not that I would turn him down if he asked, in spite of my salt.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You can do better things, Scar. Move on. Make your Undertale.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

i hate it because terezi is facing the right way

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

i hate it because terezi is facing the right way

also, not voiced by Gilbert Gottfried

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there been any word on a new Hiveswap episode?

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

also, not voiced by Gilbert Gottfried

a faithful animated sound version of homestuck must include all trolls being voiced by people doing middling-to-awful Gilbert Gottfried impressions

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dawgstar posted:

Has there been any word on a new Hiveswap episode?

haha

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I figured. Although it's funny their reaction to colossal mismanagement was 'throw an episodic dating sim at them!'

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I figured. Although it's funny their reaction to colossal mismanagement was 'throw an episodic dating sim at them!'

to be fair, the episodic dating sim was 10x better than the first episode of hiveswap

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I adored fully and truly Acts 1-4, disliked 5, and just stopped reading at 6, and think Hussie is a pretty gross and unpleasant person, and that’s what Homestuck left me with, along with a strong picture of What Not To Do

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Homestuck as an internet time-capsule, touchstone, and imperfect grand experiment is fine and I'm glad for what it tried to do and the inspirations and opportunities it's presented, but it's also okay to leave it behind. Its era has ended. However,

Spellman posted:

I'm sure there's a timeline where Dave becomes a sage internet relic like wirt

All other Daves become doomers

Rusted old parts of my mind are trying to figure out what internet subcultures and trends "Homestuck, except now" would tap into. We got weird quasi-anachronistic tastes of that with things like the snapchat epilogue, but we could go deeper.

The question is whether you extend the original characters along 2010s-era millennial lines, where they all become podcasters, vinestars, instagram models and ground-down gig economy workers buried in student loan debt, or you reconstruct them as the feral generation-z doing Fortnite dances and getting radicalized by the Youtube Kids recommendation algorithm.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Dolash posted:

Homestuck as an internet time-capsule, touchstone, and imperfect grand experiment is fine and I'm glad for what it tried to do and the inspirations and opportunities it's presented, but it's also okay to leave it behind. Its era has ended. However,

Rusted old parts of my mind are trying to figure out what internet subcultures and trends "Homestuck, except now" would tap into. We got weird quasi-anachronistic tastes of that with things like the snapchat epilogue, but we could go deeper.

The question is whether you extend the original characters along 2010s-era millennial lines, where they all become podcasters, vinestars, instagram models and ground-down gig economy workers buried in student loan debt, or you reconstruct them as the feral generation-z doing Fortnite dances and getting radicalized by the Youtube Kids recommendation algorithm.

Would Bro be the one into Fortnite, making Dave do all the dances ironically and building their relationship that way?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

XkyRauh posted:

Would Bro be the one into Fortnite, making Dave do all the dances ironically and building their relationship that way?

Bro likes Fortnite ironically... right?

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Homestuck is ugly transparent about the fact that irony is a mental-illness inducing shield for people who are crippled with insecurity over expressing sincere emotions because of how confused and vulnerable they are about themselves as people

so no he’s playing it because he’d be a Ninja-level tool about it who is 100% invested

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the homestuck attitude regarding irony is neatly encapsulated by Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, a remarkable piece of poo poo that requires way more effort to make it look like a piece of poo poo than would be required to just make a decent piece of media

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Homestuck came out at that weird transition from when the internet was new and I guess “underground” to today where social media has made it easier for less tech savvy people to learn what a dank meme is.

Hell, Pesterchum became an outdated reference before Homestuck even ended.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Black August posted:

Homestuck is ugly transparent about the fact that irony is a mental-illness inducing shield for people who are crippled with insecurity over expressing sincere emotions because of how confused and vulnerable they are about themselves as people

This is actually not a bad summation of Dave's arc.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Count down to some one (probably Clawtopsy) bringing up that Dave said people have no arcs as if it was a genuine belief of the author about Homestuck's characters

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Count down to some one (probably Clawtopsy) bringing up that Dave said people have no arcs as if it was a genuine belief of the author about Homestuck's characters

Oh, but now you've taken the fun out if it!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i feel personally attacked right now

generally i trot out that quote for characters who petered out lamely, unlike dave whose resolution came in the fornjshhehjshhM n m ajfoflj

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Whether or not Hussie thought he was writing arcs doesn't matter because he didn't write arcs for characters, he wrote cliff-falls and burnouts because he's a disastrous writer

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

the homestuck attitude regarding irony is neatly encapsulated by Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff, a remarkable piece of poo poo that requires way more effort to make it look like a piece of poo poo than would be required to just make a decent piece of media

This is something that seems obvious in hindsight but kinda mindblowing how I never saw it before now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, the point of "people don't have arcs" isn't that the characters don't have arcs, it's that in all cases they are completely wrong about where their arcs are headed and make most of their mistakes because they're trying to deliberately fit themselves into arcs that aren't there.

The arc exists to the reader, but to the characters they effectively do not exist; that is, arcs are not useful concepts for Dave or Jake or Vriska to use in figuring themselves out.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's a bit of a charitable reading of the "people don't have arcs" line, given the context it was used - i.e. late in a story that had clearly gotten away from the author and was being triaged toward whatever ending was still possible.

It'd normally be an interesting observation of the difference between the audience's perspective on the characters as narrative entities and the characters' own perspectives on each other as people, but given the breakdown of the former it can't help but read like an excuse.

Also Dave's journey through irony seems to have tracked with the internet writ large's evolution on the subject. A modern update to his character would have to start from a much more advanced position. Dave go on Cum Town.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Instead of saying "people don't have arcs" Dave should have linked to a SoundCloud of a 77 minute long fart. It would have gotten the message across much more clearly.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

That's a bit of a charitable reading of the "people don't have arcs" line, given the context it was used - i.e. late in a story that had clearly gotten away from the author and was being triaged toward whatever ending was still possible.

It'd normally be an interesting observation of the difference between the audience's perspective on the characters as narrative entities and the characters' own perspectives on each other as people, but given the breakdown of the former it can't help but read like an excuse.

That's because you're reading it as if Dave is the voice of the author. He's not.

We're four volumes in to the print series and Hussie has repeatedly gone into detail about many characters' respective arcs, including Dave's, who said this, and Rose's, whom Dave was talking to/about when he did so.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I can't believe Pokemon and Homestuck are having a crossover

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Plom Bar posted:

That's because you're reading it as if Dave is the voice of the author. He's not.

We're four volumes in to the print series and Hussie has repeatedly gone into detail about many characters' respective arcs, including Dave's, who said this, and Rose's, whom Dave was talking to/about when he did so.

Yeah that's my point, it can't help but read like an authorial comment because of the surrounding context, even if it wasn't intended that way, which detracts from its usefulness as a character beat. The line itself or Dave saying it is not inherently bad, it just happens at a time when a lot of the audience had soured on the seemingly aimless direction of the story, so it doesn't have the desired effect - as we've seen from how frequently people bring it up. It doesn't mean Hussie actually meant to tell the audience character arcs don't matter, it just didn't help when a lot of people felt they were going off the rails.

If you want lines that seem more like deliberate author comments then ghost Tavros doing the successful-character-arc-shuffle is probably a better candidate, where Hussie is clearly poking fun at the idea that Tavros had a character to develop and did it all offscreen while the audience wasn't looking. Hussie commented on the discussion around Homestuck pretty regularly through the story itself and that was pretty much a conscious nod to the conversation about arcs, that could've even been prompted by the audience reaction to Dave's earlier line.

It's also easier to talk about character arcs while discussing those earlier chapters of the story when they were more clear and functional. It's part of why the drop off near the end of the story was so noticeable.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

tavros' character arc is kinda depressing if you consider that the outcome was exactly what vriska wanted and vindicated her straight up physical and psychological torture of the dude

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

tavros' character arc is kinda depressing if you consider that the outcome was exactly what vriska wanted and vindicated her straight up physical and psychological torture of the dude

That's a stretch. Vriska tried to make him tougher and harder, instead he ended up developing his personal skills to make a great deal of friends and allies to achieve something that she couldn't deny was both genuinely useful and beyond her abilities.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't really recall anything of what happened with Tavros after he became the divine sneeze machine

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, when did Tavros become useful and competent? It was after he was away from Vriska for ten thousand subjective years.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

ThaumPenguin posted:

I can't really recall anything of what happened with Tavros after he became the divine sneeze machine

That was New Tavros, who didn't have much of a character of his own. Old Tavros built the ghost army and did ironic character arc dances in front of New Vriska, which I don't think he realized wasn't the Old Vriska whom he'd flipped the bird to in the afterlife.

I'd kind of hoped Old Vriska and Old Terezi were going to show up and rejoin Old Tavros and a lot of the other Old dead characters, even if Remember was a good enough sendoff for the pre-retcon iterations of most characters. The confrontation between the Vriskas was pretty sour and New Vriska seemed extremely poised to receive the legendary Vriska Karmic Payback the last time we ever saw her, so that could've been interesting.

It's still funny that the canon ending to Homestuck appears to be that whatever she did with the Icon seems to have failed due to being rendered a paradox by John & Co's failure to complete the timeloop presaged in Caliborn's masterpiece, leading to a multiverse-devouring black hole that will probably eventually destroy the heroes and their happy ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

That was New Tavros, who didn't have much of a character of his own. Old Tavros built the ghost army and did ironic character arc dances in front of New Vriska, which I don't think he realized wasn't the Old Vriska whom he'd flipped the bird to in the afterlife.

I'd kind of hoped Old Vriska and Old Terezi were going to show up and rejoin Old Tavros and a lot of the other Old dead characters, even if Remember was a good enough sendoff for the pre-retcon iterations of most characters. The confrontation between the Vriskas was pretty sour and New Vriska seemed extremely poised to receive the legendary Vriska Karmic Payback the last time we ever saw her, so that could've been interesting.

It's still funny that the canon ending to Homestuck appears to be that whatever she did with the Icon seems to have failed due to being rendered a paradox by John & Co's failure to complete the timeloop presaged in Caliborn's masterpiece, leading to a multiverse-devouring black hole that will probably eventually destroy the heroes and their happy ending.

Vriska, personally, will be fine, because the retconned events conspired to give her unconditional immortality