Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

You guys do know that Rusty Quill also does Stellar Firma, right?

Yes. And?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Len posted:

So it's most improv?

Actually... yeah. It’s lovely British improv. I mean, I know it’s scripted, but it’s still lovely improv.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Montalvo posted:

The thought of listening to those two voice actors deliver those lines with those voices makes me want to puncture my earlobes.

Kind of weird that bad voice acting makes you want to get your ears pierced, but you do you.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

I think Stella Firma is fine. I'd put it below Mars Corp and Mission to Zyxx, but above Voyage to the Stars and StarTripper in the space comedy genre. About EOS 10?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BrainParasite posted:

I think Stella Firma is fine. I'd put it below Mars Corp and Mission to Zyxx, but above Voyage to the Stars and StarTripper in the space comedy genre. About EOS 10?

Having a bit of a moment here finding out these are all different podcasts and not "that space one" floating around in the back of my mind

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EOS 10 benefits from having charming acting though.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsech posted:

Actually... yeah. It’s lovely British improv. I mean, I know it’s scripted, but it’s still lovely improv.

I think the whole thing is improv. At least I heard it referred a such multiple times.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

I think the whole thing is improv. At least I heard it referred a such multiple times.

Explains a lot if true. The only improv comedy podcast I've found that's good is Zyxx and even then each episode is stitched together from a much longer session with multiple takes.

Improv is very hard.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

BrainParasite posted:

Hmm is Zyxx that good? I love eos and mars Corp but bounced on Zyxx in the first episode as just being try hard. Kinda like I wish I did for magic tavern.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ornamented Death posted:

Kind of weird that bad voice acting makes you want to get your ears pierced, but you do you.

I never said my hyperbolic statements had to make any sense!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Hughlander posted:

Hmm is Zyxx that good? I love eos and mars Corp but bounced on Zyxx in the first episode as just being try hard. Kinda like I wish I did for magic tavern.

It takes a few episodes for the VAs to settle into their roles and work the links out.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Things start clicking a few episodes in, with the voice actors and process. I think having A MISSION each episode helps keep the show moving in ways Magic Tavern doesn't usually.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Hughlander posted:

If you love funny, weird, sci-fi, yes. Odd aliens, nonsensical plots, ship AI holding a talent show, etc.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man did there need to be an episode in Ars Paradoxica where they got stoned and watched Reefer Madness? Seriously?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

Man did there need to be an episode in Ars Paradoxica where they got stoned and watched Reefer Madness? Seriously?

Spoilers but it's going to take until the season finale for someone to come up with the idea of using time travel to send medicine back in time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arrhythmia posted:

Spoilers but it's going to take until the season finale for someone to come up with the idea of using time travel to send medicine back in time.

Technically they did that in the first season with Donovan and the cage but I get what you're saying I think.

Also the MAGA reference was A Thing that happened a few episodes ago.

And oh man the cringy sex scene between the doctor and his boyfriend

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
So can anybody spoiler the content warning on the latest I Am In Eskew? Considering some of the stuff that's come before without one, it makes me... nervous.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Giant Ethicist posted:

So can anybody spoiler the content warning on the latest I Am In Eskew? Considering some of the stuff that's come before without one, it makes me... nervous.

He tells you right at the start before the episode

It involves school bullying. It's something personal to the creator that he admits won't cause issues for everyone.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Mokinokaro posted:

He tells you right at the start before the episode

It involves school bullying. It's something personal to the creator that he admits won't cause issues for everyone.

Cool, thanks. I didn't think to think he'd put a warning in the podcast itself - he never does lead-ins or outros.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Speaking of, the latest episode was loving phenomenal. The ending gave me chills.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ars should have thrown in with Casper or Bombas rather than mens health products

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Finally done with Ars Paradoxica because I hate myself.

What is more disappointing than a wet fart? Because that's what the ending was. Good time travel endings are rough to begin with but JFC was that just bland.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

Finally done with Ars Paradoxica because I hate myself.

What is more disappointing than a wet fart? Because that's what the ending was. Good time travel endings are rough to begin with but JFC was that just bland.

I'm still pissed off over the self-fellatio in the bumpers about how god drat good their time travel tragedy was.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

To be fair there aren't many time travel/found footage/cold war/thrillers out there

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Len posted:

To be fair there aren't many time travel/found footage/cold war/thrillers out there

I think this is the plot of the Dylatov Pass movie, but it's been a bit.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pope Guilty posted:

I think this is the plot of the Dylatov Pass movie, but it's been a bit.

The one where the film crew go adventuring to find The Truth and end up time traveling back in time where they mutate into the long limbed teleporting monsters? I think I liked Ars more than that

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Len posted:

*gazing upon all provided examples of the genre*

Huh, I wonder why there isn't more.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Len posted:

The one where the film crew go adventuring to find The Truth and end up time traveling back in time where they mutate into the long limbed teleporting monsters? I think I liked Ars more than that

Yeah, that's, regrettably, the one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, that's, regrettably, the one.

It wasn't the worst found footage movie I saw

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Len posted:

It wasn't the worst found footage movie I saw

I thought it was pretty average on the whole.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
TMA is crazy this season. I don't want to say anything else.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have literally no idea what is going on in Magnus anymore. I cannot keep track of all these plotlines and characters.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

TMA is crazy this season. I don't want to say anything else.

I've been catching up this week, and I'm really liking most of them. "Zombie" was particularly terrifying, in that it's basically a literalization of the NPC meme. Would have been even scarier if the guy he killed had just been a normal person.

Montalvo posted:

I have literally no idea what is going on in Magnus anymore. I cannot keep track of all these plotlines and characters.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter. They've established a whole pantheon of Outer Gods related to fear, so I listen to a creepy story and then at the end John says which one of them was responsible. If you're talking about all the people in the institute, yeah, I can never remember who's who, but it doesn't seriously hurt my enjoyment.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
I started a relisten from episode 1 a few months back and it’s mind blowing how interconnected things are from a very early stage. I do need to sit down with the wiki sometime though because I too get lost between characters and connections.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

I started a relisten from episode 1 a few months back and it’s mind blowing how interconnected things are from a very early stage. I do need to sit down with the wiki sometime though because I too get lost between characters and connections.

IIRC they basically planned the whole thing out from the start, with a defined starting and ending point and a schedule for big reveals, and that's why Magnus Archives rules in all the ways The Black Tapes wanted to but failed to.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

Pope Guilty posted:

IIRC they basically planned the whole thing out from the start, with a defined starting and ending point and a schedule for big reveals, and that's why Magnus Archives rules in all the ways The Black Tapes wanted to but failed to.

The Black Tapes only briefly showed promise. Tanis could have been something if they ever got their poo poo together. Rabbits miraculously succeeded when they failed to fund a second season (how the gently caress do you keep going after that??) And the Last Movie was a thing.

I do know that they had a firm plan for 5 seasons of TMA, but was not sure how much they had planned and set from the start and how much developed once they realized that they had the gas to take it through the end after the first season or two took off. Regardless of how they started out, they have succeeded. I do hope that they're able to churn their success from this into something bigger. My sense is that they turn little to no profit off of this and I would love to see them benefit from what they've created.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
When they say they had plans for five seasons, I assume those plans were very vague. Probably they had a rough idea of the season arcs and some key characters like Jurgen (no relation) Leitner and his library. The bulk of the series is still stand—alone stories, and those can easily be slotted into the middle of a season.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
No, from interviews, the plans were pretty concrete afaict.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yeah Johnny has been pretty clear he's had a plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the metaplot is definitely quite mapped out.

I do agree with Jurgen that the statements probably aren't to the same extent.