Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Is there something inherently wrong with false accusations and a jaded protag? The rest of the anime seems like typical poo poo I see in every other one. If the series was genuinely just there to poo poo all over women and not a few specific characters I'm not sure they'd introduce some of the stronger female characters later on in the manga. As far as I recall the queen, a trainer she introduces and like 2 of the "villains" seem like somewhat empowered women that don't have anything stupid happening around them you'd expect out of some incel show. I don't really buy a lot of the things people come up with on SA or leftist circlejerk zones in general, seems like they just had a stupid idea and ran with it and everything else is very typical and not this great manipulative evil agenda. I didn't see anyone claiming SAO promoted negative views about men because it features multiple actual sociopathic evil male rapists.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dude the protagonist keeps child slaves

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Akumos posted:

Is there something inherently wrong with false accusations and a jaded protag?

No.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It doesn't seem like many of the female characters have agency and the ones that do exist for the aggrandizement of the male protagonist, is the problem I think

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's not a problem when handled well.

Shield hero does not handle it well

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Akumos posted:

Is there something inherently wrong with false accusations and a jaded protag?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Unless the anime is past what I read of the manga years ago currently every female character portrayed as good is an obedient slave and every one portrayed as bad is in a position of power.

Also child slavery.

Akumos posted:

If the series was genuinely just there to poo poo all over women and not a few specific characters I'm not sure they'd introduce some of the stronger female characters later on in the manga.

This isn't a defence, if the start of your story is bad additions to it won't change how bad the start is. Whether the story is intentionally as bad as it is doesn't really matter either, it's bad either way.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I curse you all

https://mobile.twitter.com/RageGoldenEagle/status/1097944007924015104

Hero of lighting their brain on fire

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Surely this was done ironically....right?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Akumos posted:

Is there something inherently wrong with false accusations and a jaded protag? The rest of the anime seems like typical poo poo I see in every other one. If the series was genuinely just there to poo poo all over women and not a few specific characters I'm not sure they'd introduce some of the stronger female characters later on in the manga. As far as I recall the queen, a trainer she introduces and like 2 of the "villains" seem like somewhat empowered women that don't have anything stupid happening around them you'd expect out of some incel show. I don't really buy a lot of the things people come up with on SA or leftist circlejerk zones in general, seems like they just had a stupid idea and ran with it and everything else is very typical and not this great manipulative evil agenda. I didn't see anyone claiming SAO promoted negative views about men because it features multiple actual sociopathic evil male rapists.

the honey finally worked!!!!!!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

An entire month and 40 pages for one good post.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Before this thread gets frozen again I need to ask: why is it Rising of Shield Hero instead of Rise. Is this an Attack on Titan situation where the author insisted on the spelling?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SpartanIvy posted:

Surely this was done ironically....right?

Look at their twitter bio and see if you still wanna ask that question.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

An entire month and 40 pages for one good post.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
lmao of loving course it was akumos who was stupid enough to make that post

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

lock the thread. no take can top this

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Your average harem anime is worse for society than Shield Hero.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Akumos posted:

leftist circlejerk zones

uh

Akumos posted:

I didn't see anyone claiming SAO promoted negative views about men because it features multiple actual sociopathic evil male rapists.

that doesn't really make sense when you start considering what gender and crime statistics actually are like

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

SAO is an interesting example to use when Kawahara recently apologized for using sexual assault as a plot device and said he wouldn't do it again.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Dude the protagonist keeps child slaves

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly. His treatment of them as slaves is clearly portrayed somewhat as a joke, at no point is he like whipping them and forcing them to do horrible poo poo. The worst he does is make racoon girl get over some fears and learn to fight but then she apparently stops caring immediately after and he basically never orders her to do anything again so whatever.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Akumos posted:

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly.

gently caress off.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Akumos posted:

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to get into his pants for being such an awesome master.

-e-
If Filo didn't turn into Flonne, it would be hilarious.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Lurking Haro posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to get into his pants for being such an awesome master.

I mean creepy poo poo like this is in every anime though, like 90% of isekai anime is also a harem anime. Don't think it has anything to do with him being a slave master lmao.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Akumos posted:

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly. His treatment of them as slaves is clearly portrayed somewhat as a joke, at no point is he like whipping them and forcing them to do horrible poo poo. The worst he does is make racoon girl get over some fears and learn to fight but then she apparently stops caring immediately after and he basically never orders her to do anything again so whatever.

Akumos posted:

I mean creepy poo poo like this is in every anime though, like 90% of isekai anime is also a harem anime. Don't think it has anything to do with him being a slave master lmao.

Hmm, :gas:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Akumos posted:

Maxwell Adams posted:

Actual text from the Shield Hero Light Novel posted:

I caught the eye of the raccoon-girl. And I realized, looking into her eyes, how I felt.
Yes. This thing was a woman, the same gender as that one that betrayed me. I looked into her scared eyes and immediately thought that I wanted to control her. I thought I could just pretend that I’d turned Myne into a slave… If she died, it might make me feel better.
“All right then, I’ll take the middle one.”
“An excellent choice, and it makes my life easier too.”
The slave trader produced a key and opened her cage. She stepped out, and he put a collar around her neck. She let out a yelp.
I looked at her, quivering in fear, and felt a wave of satisfaction wash over me. I imagined that other woman quivering in fear, just like this, and it made me feel great.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Lol. God bless us, everyone.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

"it may as well not be a plot point" is a good reason to ask "well then, why was it included as plot point? it wasn't necessary, so surely the author had some reason they felt like it should be added anyway," rather than say "so it doesn't matter at all and no one should think about what it means"

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

I mean I could do a few takes on this. First take would be that while this is pretty gross, I don't think it's fully translated into the anime, so the source material level of creepy incelness is pretty far removed from what we actually got. A second take would be that this is actually a good, realistic portrayal of a really jaded type of person that harbors a lot of hatred and resentment. Is it necessarily a bad thing to ever have that type of character in media? People can dislike it, but I don't specifically see why it should be completely shunned and banned or whatever. If you believe people like this actually exist in reality, there is no reason you can't also write about them. A third take would be that this is actually like a redemption story for a jaded incel type. I read most of the manga and while he starts off as everything you'd expect and hate, people slowly show him enough kindness that he backs down from most of his horrible views and tries to be a better person and enjoy life again. Though they never really move away from degrading Malty.. but in the context of the story it would make sense I guess. Her father gets trashed and humiliated too if it helps?

My overall take is that goons feel like Shield Hero is actually the 50 Shades of Grey for incels. A power fantasy for incels to jerk off about hurting women and owning slaves or whatever. When in reality it's just a stupid loving typical isekai harem anime that happens to also use slavery and resentment as plot devices and the incel poo poo is forgotten about near the beginning of the show.

Akumos fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 21, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lol that all the tedious snore posters arent here anymore when theres a real person to interact with.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Akumos posted:

A second take would be that this is actually a good, realistic portrayal of a really jaded type of person that harbors a lot of hatred and resentment. Is it necessarily a bad thing to ever have that type of character in media? People can dislike it, but I don't specifically see why it should be completely shunned and banned or whatever. If you believe people like this actually exist in reality, there is no reason you can't also write about them.

do you think shield hero has something to say about this kind of person? is the protagonist being depicted this way meant to allow the viewer to identify with the protagonist, or to demonstrate and admonish this line of thinking? is the protagonist depicted in a negative light? do you believe that the author wants you to dislike the protagonist, or sympathize with him?

personally, i have not gotten the impression that shield hero intends for you to look at the protagonists actions and say "this is some crazy hosed up poo poo this guy is doing." rather, going especially off of what you have said about shield hero, it sounds like the author treats these kinds of personality traits as normal, nothing special to write home about, and expected for his situation.

it's possible to write about characters like this, and for there to be no problem with doing so. it's the way these kinds of plot points (a character who gets falsely accused of rape, a character who hates women, a character who keeps child slaves) are used that's important, and if shield hero is going to bring them up, then do nothing about them, then the way it's using them is to say "these kinds of things are no big deal."

Akumos posted:

A third take would be that this is actually like a redemption story for a jaded incel type. I read most of the manga and while he starts off as everything you'd expect and hate, people slowly show him enough kindness that he backs down from most of his horrible views and tries to be a better person and enjoy life again. Though they never really move away from degrading Malty.. but in the context of the story it would make sense I guess. Her father gets trashed and humiliated too if it helps?

does he ever say things like "it was wrong of me to keep child slaves" or "it's really hosed up that, rather than seeing this child as her own person, i projected my feelings of hatred for another person on her purely because they share the same gender?" does he apologize to the characters he enslaved for enslaving them? does the manga ever actually come out and say "child slavery is bad?" my understanding is that the show actually had an episode where some characters came out and said that, and they were shown to be in the wrong.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Akumos posted:

the fact that one of his child slaves turns into a teenage girl in 2 weeks because of magic and that the other one is technically a giant chicken does not really make things better to the degree that you indicate

if it's barely a plot point at all, why does he go out of his way to put a slave thing on the big chicken even though this is portrayed as being expensive, she visibly hates it, and she seemed totally willing to hang around and do what he said without one?

he does not whip them because he literally has magic shock collars on them that he can activate at will, which he does multiple times to the raccoon child while forcing her to fight to the death with monsters

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Why DID he put a slave crest on the chicken?

I do agree that it's unfair how some people here use moments/pages from the light/web novel and manga to prove how bad this anime is. For example, the anime omits Shield Hero's internal monologue when he buys his first slave. Also I very much doubt the anime has the same faith in store for the evil princess. For all the problems it has. The anime does in fact sand off some of the sharper edges.

BUT!

That's just taking the kernels out the turd really. There are still many underlying tones and messages that are just loving awful. You really don't have to rely on web/light novel material to show how awful Shield Hero is. The anime is perfectly capable of making GBS threads the bed on it's own merits Like slave girl asking why Spear Hero doesn't own a slave if he's such a good guy. Or the evil slave trader who keeps children in cages, becoming a supporting story character. Or having the child of a mind in the body of an adult so we feel less guilty about oogling her in the hot springs?

Shield Hero is trash, and that is coming from someone who actually leans more towards the right on a lot of things. So I don't buy the idea that disliking Shield Hero is reserved for leftist circlejerk zones.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Akumos posted:

My overall take is that goons feel like Shield Hero is actually the 50 Shades of Grey for incels. A power fantasy for incels to jerk off about hurting women and owning slaves or whatever. When in reality it's just a stupid loving typical isekai harem anime that happens to also use slavery and resentment as plot devices and the incel poo poo is forgotten about near the beginning of the show.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also lol at calling sa a leftist circlejerk zone, have you seen gbs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Man, I really liked Bakemonogatari.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo the best monogatari arc is the kanbaru's ex one

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yes.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

More like badshowmonogatari

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like the BD release really screwed up by showing the OP at the beginning though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Honestly, if you condemn Naofumi for owning a raccoon and a chicken then you need to condemn every real life pet owner as well. But you won't because this is just yet another two minutes hate ordered by the Ministry of Truth, and none of you actually give a poo poo about being consistent in your beliefs.