Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Randallteal posted:

Lol at DQXI looking like a PS2 game. I don't even like Dragon Quest that much, but that game was a graphical showcase and had fantastic art direction for characters, monsters, and environments. It was one of the best looking games that came out last year, and the best use so far for Nvidia's fancy Ansel screenshot tool.

It looks loving incredible, I have no idea how anyone could say it looks like a PS2 game. It's one of the cleanest and most artistically confident/consistent games I've ever played, which I don't doubt is due to the dragon ball man heritage and the fact that it has held a similar tone through each game, as opposed to FF reinventing itself each time (which I love about FF games).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Any human being who finished DQ8 in its original form is a masochist. Even with the massive improvements from the DS version the game is a goddamn slog.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Hyperbole, guys, cmon.

It looks identical to DQVIII to me, in terms of direction. It doesn't matter if you crank up the polycount if you still only have four characters with swappable parts and palette swaps to no end.Loads of repeating textures and samey, boring identically designed dungeons as well.

The game has wierd camera motion blur, too. .

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Hyperbole, guys, cmon.

It looks identical to DQVIII to me, in terms of direction. It doesn't matter if you crank up the polycount if you still only have four characters with swappable parts and palette swaps to no end.Loads of repeating textures and samey, boring identically designed dungeons as well.

The game has wierd camera motion blur, too. .

Your eyes need fixing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I can't get into Dragon Quest cause it looks like DBZ but I don't ever get to rip off my shirt, turn my hair blond and punch all my problems away.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Kulkasha posted:

Should've been 100 out of 100 nobles impressed
Got that on my second attempt on the Switch version :smug:

(hosed up the first attempt because whenever I saw an X button prompt I'd press what Nintendo insists is B)

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Leal posted:

I can't get into Dragon Quest cause it looks like DBZ but I don't ever get to rip off my shirt, turn my hair blond and punch all my problems away.

on the other hand it perfectly captures the feeling of very slowly powering up

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Any human being who finished DQ8 in its original form is a masochist. Even with the massive improvements from the DS version the game is a goddamn slog.

I didn't realize it was that bad, I had no trouble with it.

I was also in middle school and had basically infinite free time but I'm sure that's unrelated.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Doc M posted:

Got that on my second attempt on the Switch version :smug:

that minigame has been dramatically toned down in the modern ports because they're based on the ios build, which needed to have fairly generous windows for it because the controls are awkward

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

What!? Lies!

...I was wondering why it seemed so easy. I thought I'd become a master of QTEs or something :eng99:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i'm sorry to have diminished your achievement but it simply had to be said for the :eng101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its still agony on a mobile phone for the record, but i did 100/100 it

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Leal posted:

I got into dragonquest cause of Dragonquest Builders, which is low-key addictive as hell, so long as you play it on mute with your own music playing
I find the DBZ art thing to be a plus, but tomato tomaato

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I thought the DQXI art was cute and fun, then I met one of those fat little space dude's and was like :gerty: times a billion

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Schwartzcough posted:

So had all the other SeeDs, including ones that had been graduated for years and were way more experienced. Why did none of them have any agency? Why did they have to stand around demanding that Squall make decisions for them? Why were all the experienced mercenaries missing for the entire game? Quistis was supposed to be some child prodigy and had been in a leader role for some time, but just like all the rest she couldn't seem to do anything without Squall.

My point is that according to the story he's just another face in a crowd. There's nothing special about him compared to all the other Balamb-trained students. And yet the whole story revolves around him and requires him to be the driving force in the world.

Spoilers for a mad old game:

I haven’t watched the ending sequence in a long time but when Squall blips back to the past to when Edea receives her powers the first time, isn’t it implied or stated that her and Cid know who he is or can figure it out? So Cid puts Squall in charge all the time because he knows it’s gonna be him who saves the world/time.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Epi Lepi posted:

Spoilers for a mad old game:

I haven’t watched the ending sequence in a long time but when Squall blips back to the past to when Edea receives her powers the first time, isn’t it implied or stated that her and Cid know who he is or can figure it out? So Cid puts Squall in charge all the time because he knows it’s gonna be him who saves the world/time.

Edea figures it out, at least. So yes, it's not unreasonable that Cid pulled some strings. I mean, him naming Squall commander makes a lot more sense that way.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
FF VIII was a game that really needed another year or two of development

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF8 makes complete and total sense. It might be the only coherent time travel story ever told.

Koobes
Nov 6, 2012

zedprime posted:

FF8 makes complete and total sense. It might be the only coherent time travel story ever told.

:hmmyes:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

zedprime posted:

I always did think Chrono Trigger was overrated given our heroes go instantly from "tinkering with time travel has severe consequences" to "let's just gently caress over time completely!"

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 21, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I always did think Chrono Trigger was overrated given our heroes go instantly from "tinkering with time travel has sere consequences" to "let's just gently caress over time completely!"

the way time in chrono trigger works makes no sense and lucca is smart enough to recognize this early on and just go "gently caress it, we can just do whatever we want" which is why the party proceeds to completely ignore the very concept of causality and reshape the entirety of human history in their own image

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And that's why the game is so good. Oh poo poo the earth will be destroyed in a thousand years, time to go make humanity descend from frogmen

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The best ending is when Marle marries Frog and produces Frog people with him.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best ending is when Dalton vows revenge on you and plans to raise an army in Porre to defeat you all and then Magus gets his memory wiped.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

The best ending is when Dalton vows revenge on you and plans to raise an army in Porre to defeat you all and then Magus gets his memory wiped.

And then you start a rock band.

Or, alternatively, Not Schala conquer the world because she's a better protagonist than the actual one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kulkasha posted:

FF VIII was a game that really needed another year or two of development

They already hosed over multiple games to make it in the time they had. Imagine all the games that would have remained unfinished in the impossible quest to make ff8 good

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I always did think Chrono Trigger was overrated given our heroes go instantly from "tinkering with time travel has severe consequences" to "let's just gently caress over time completely!"

I think its overrated cause it makes people hate on Good Game Chrono Cross because it wasn't just Chrono Trigger.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Both Xenogears and Chrono Cross got screwed over by FFVIII.

Earning my eternal resentment.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MonsieurChoc posted:

It still amazes me how fast they were putting out games back then

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Leal posted:

I think its overrated cause it makes people hate on Good Game Chrono Cross because it wasn't just Chrono Trigger.

That is also a problem, yes.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well the Xenogears thing is just a rumor but yeah, FFVIII is certainly the worst of those three games by a lot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Leal posted:

CC fucks over the protags from CT for no good reason then shits out an alt-reality tale with too much poo poo to be worth it.

Like the absolute nutso scope and work to give the characters quirks and poo poo is good but doesn't make it a fun game.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

Xenogears' second disc :argh:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I think Chrono Trigger is underrated.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

FilthyImp posted:

CC fucks over the protags from CT for no good reason then shits out an alt-reality tale with too much poo poo to be worth it.

Like the absolute nutso scope and work to give the characters quirks and poo poo is good but doesn't make it a fun game.

Actually getting owned by a loser you let get away (Both Dalton and the time devourer) cause you basically.poo poo on the time space continuum rules and makes total sense.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
We have almost 30 years of evidence that the xenogears crew doesn't know how to manage story/game pacing until like last year

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Actually getting owned by a loser you let get away (Both Dalton and the time devourer) cause you basically.poo poo on the time space continuum rules and makes total sense.

yeah I love all that poo poo. also the dungeon that is just the timeline you deleted by saving the future.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Phantasium posted:

yeah I love all that poo poo. also the dungeon that is just the timeline you deleted by saving the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOSrK7plwg0

And then a fisherman kicks your rear end.

Apparently there's a theory Miguel is Crono somehow.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Chrono Cross is one of those games I love to bits even if I acknowledge it's flaws. It has stuff that stays with me to this day, like the entire Dead Sea sequence or the stupid rock musical that heals the land.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's absolutely some great ideas there, and they build on Trigger exceedingly well.

But oh god the story just gets up its own rear end somehow in a way approaching Kingdom Hearts level of dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's pretty amazing how thoroughly this can be debunked but people will keep saying it to justify an impotent hate when the other talking points fail.