Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blotto_Otter posted:

Does that gameplay ever get fun? Does that "bullet hell in a tiny window" mechanic ever change, because I think I hate that.
There are variations on it, but that's the gameplay. Luckily I had 150+ hours in Binding of Isaac to help me with that.

Blotto_Otter posted:

That's definitely true. And I liked Toriel but that's the only character I've liked so far, so I'm confused why the game gets rid of her almost immediately.
Well, it's because she's the tu-Toriel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elman posted:

The first dungeon is worse than the rest of the game. It was the original demo for its kickstarter, and you can tell it doesn't have as much polish as the rest of it.

(or maybe it's just not your kind of game, that's fine)

Yeah as someone who adores Undertale, the first part of the game in the ruins is rough to get through. It's long and repetitive, there isn't a lot of the humor you see throughout the rest of the game, the enemies feel really basic, etc. The highlights are things like, Flowey at the start, Toriel's stuff at the end, Napstablook's introduction and little things like the spider bake sale and the bowl of candy. But surrounding all that are very long hallways with switch puzzles and rooms where the floor breaks out from under you and I was feeling very "this game does NOT live up to the hype at all". Once you get through the ruins though and get into Snowdin and first meet Sans, the game only goes up and up from there. You can tell how much polish the rest of the game got in comparison to the beginning.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Blotto_Otter posted:

Does that gameplay ever get fun? Does that "bullet hell in a tiny window" mechanic ever change, because I think I hate that.

That's definitely true. And I liked Toriel but that's the only character I've liked so far, so I'm confused why the game gets rid of her almost immediately.

It does change and get more complicated (often with much larger windows) BUT it doesn't fundamentally change in quality once the initial hump of the first dungeon is over with

IMO if you're not in on the gameplay or story after about the boss of Snowden it's probably not going to attach

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blotto_Otter posted:

If you don't like the bullet dodging gameplay now you aren't going to like it later

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Blotto_Otter posted:

No.

I too think Undertale is, on par, bad. The good doesn't equal or exceed the bad. The story was trite and the theme has been done before in better games.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If you buy and keep a spider cookie that will get you through the hardest boss imo

I will give this a shot, thanks.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Despite having it on Steam, I never played Undertale because the internet was so insufferable about it. Is it better on Switch (like is it a comfy game to play in bed/in the bathroom/in the bus?) or should I just play it on PC?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

It does change and get more complicated (often with much larger windows) BUT it doesn't fundamentally change in quality

IMO if you're not in on the gameplay or story after about the boss of Snowden it's probably not going to attach

Yeah at the very least play up through the first boss of Snowdin. If you still aren't enjoying it you probably won't like the rest of the game.

If you buy and keep a spider cookie that will get you through the hardest boss imo

Alternatively, don't do this because the "hardest boss" is awesome and has the best music :colbert:

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

a7m2 posted:

Despite having it on Steam, I never played Undertale because the internet was so insufferable about it. Is it better on Switch (like is it a comfy game to play in bed/in the bathroom/in the bus?) or should I just play it on PC?

It plays fine on Switch but if you already have it on PC just play it there.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's also in the top 5 songs of the game though. I'm conflicted about feeding the spiders.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

No.

I too think Undertale is, on par, bad. The good doesn't equal or exceed the bad. The story was trite and the theme has been done before in better games.

What games do you think have done it better? honest question

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It plays fine on Switch but if you already have it on PC just play it there.

Plus one of the big things that happens in the game I think works a lot better on PC for reasons.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Switch version has an optional bonus boss so if you want a tiny bit more bang for your buck you might as well get that.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i see the octopath devs have immediately gone 'back on their bullshit'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

a7m2 posted:

It is a very good portable game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Andrast posted:

What games do you think have done it better? honest question

I said better games, meaning I'd rather play them. But as far as games that judge you for killing, I'd much rather play:

Metal Gear Solid
Dishonored
Spec Ops
Deus Ex

I recognize these are not the same types of games and they don't present that theme in the same way. But in comparison, Undertale was such a loving slog for a short game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Those are some boring rear end character designs goddamn.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't really stan for undertale like the teens did but if you think Spec Ops was a better game you have some kind of brain worms.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also "criticising you for killing" is only really a small part of Undertale.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Look Sir Droids posted:

I said better games, meaning I'd rather play them. But as far as games that judge you for killing, I'd much rather play:

Metal Gear Solid
Dishonored
Spec Ops
Deus Ex

I recognize these are not the same types of games and they don't present that theme in the same way. But in comparison, Undertale was such a loving slog for a short game.

isn’t dishonored the game where one of the morally correct, “pacifist” options is selling a woman into sex slavery

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Sometimes Food posted:

And MGS, as well.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dishonored is actively more enjoyable when you brutally murder people.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Macaluso posted:

Yeah at the very least play up through the first boss of Snowdin. If you still aren't enjoying it you probably won't like the rest of the game.

Alternatively, don't do this because the "hardest boss" is awesome and has the best music :colbert:

Is that the Megalovania track?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

asecondduck posted:

And MGS, as well.

I guess the one time Liquid said “You enjoy killing, that’s why” really left an impact

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

isn’t dishonored the game where one of the morally correct, “pacifist” options is selling a woman into sex slavery
nearly every "pacifist" option in dishonored is more brutal and horrible than killing if you stop to think for it for a single second

it really bothered me and was one of my least favorite things about an otherwise fun game

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

nearly every "pacifist" option in dishonored is more brutal and horrible than killing if you stop to think for it for a single second

it really bothered me and was one of my least favorite things about an otherwise fun game

I actually love that the pacifist options are loving awful. If you are going to stand by that dumb principle in a loving assasination game you better be prepared to do some hosed up poo poo.

The chaos system in general is pretty bad but I liked that part.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Augus posted:

Yes but Dishonored doesn't really have a good/evil moral dichotomy system, its either chaos or lack thereof. So the low-chaos solution to things is essentially maintaining the status quo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is that the Megalovania track?

Nah, different boss--the megalovania one is the extremely difficult challenge fight, the spider cookie thing is part of the normal story

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Yes but Dishonored doesn't really have a good/evil moral dichotomy system, its either chaos or lack thereof. So the low-chaos solution to things is essentially maintaining the status quo

If that was the intent the game kind of fucks that up by making high chaos literally worse for everyone

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The worst thing that ever happened to "immersive sims" was pacifist runs. It was almost a gimmick run in Deus Ex, but was a really popular playstyle, and as a result all the modern ones borderline yell at you for having the temerity to actually use all the guns and swords the game gives you (Dishonored wasn't even the worst offender here)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've spent enough games killing enemies, I think it's nice when a game lets you use other options

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Andrast posted:

If that was the intent the game kind of fucks that up by making high chaos literally worse for everyone

That seems pretty chaotic to me?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Giving you options is good, giving you options and almost explicitly saying one of them is the correct one is the problem! (Deus Ex 3 was the worst at this)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

That seems pretty chaotic to me?

At that point it's just indistinguishable from a good/evil morality system. If you go high chaos everyone's life is worse and the game/characters admonish you for it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

As a game mechanic, it’s a good system that encourages the player to play the game in a smarter way and punishes then for leaving lots of bodies and evidence in their wake.

The way it plays into the story though is uhhh pretty shaky

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

it amounts to like, a tap on the shoulder. the game effectively says, "you could've held back and maybe made a friend, but it's ultimately OK to defend yourself when something's trying to kill you even if they're doing it halfheartedly". The only time it judges you is for painstakingly and deliberately slaughtering every monster you physically can.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Your Computer posted:

I've spent enough games killing enemies, I think it's nice when a game lets you use other options

Me: "oh sweet, I can stealth/hack in this game instead of just shooting guns the entire time, awesome!"

Also me: *exclusively uses light bowguns in MHW*

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The worst thing that ever happened to "immersive sims" was pacifist runs. It was almost a gimmick run in Deus Ex, but was a really popular playstyle, and as a result all the modern ones borderline yell at you for having the temerity to actually use all the guns and swords the game gives you (Dishonored wasn't even the worst offender here)

I remember being really sad when I got curious about Human Revolution's post-segment bonuses (i.e. Ghost, Non-Lethal, etc) so I ended up doing an all ghosted no kill no alarms run and a loud all lethal run and the run where I shot guns and killed enemies was about 5 or 6 levels lower than the run with no alarms or killing despite doing the same amount of content for both ends. Deus Ex 1 didn't have any of that stuff so going pacifist/silent was more tailored to being for your benefit in certain times but sometimes you want to whip out that flamethrower.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CYBEReris posted:

it amounts to like, a tap on the shoulder. the game effectively says, "you could've held back and maybe made a friend, but it's ultimately OK to defend yourself when something's trying to kill you even if they're doing it halfheartedly". The only time it judges you is for painstakingly and deliberately slaughtering every monster you physically can.

and even then the "judgement" isn't towards violent tendencies so much as completionist ones

why you're doing it, what you expect to gain out of it, and how you'll react when what you get isn't possibly what you expected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Eh I like doing games where I can be pacifist. I don't like killing in video games it does not feel good to me.