Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MrChips posted:

Just a friendly reminder that my offer here:

Still very much stands. Currently, we've raised (by my count) over a thousand dollars for charity. You guys are excellent, keep it up!

I missed your generous offer, MrChips. I don't know if my blankets fit into your offer, so I did this to make sure I'm in your window. :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, I had to train myself to avoid that. And to stop calling people I don't like "fags" (THANKS, game chat/internet,) since, in my POV, being gay isn't, you know, insulting or a bad thing in and of itself. It just gets stuck after years of gaming with misogynist homophobic 14-year-old assholes screaming in your ear. "That's gay" needs to go, too.

All good personal development. I've replaced pretty much all of these with variations of douche.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

All good personal development. I've replaced pretty much all of these with variations of douche.

Isn't "douche" insulting to women, since it's used as a pejorative for dirty vag cleaning instruments, implying that the vagina is a dirty thing?

rear end in a top hat never goes out of style, and it's equal-opportunity. :D

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I just use dingus if I'm in polite company. Its oddly satisfying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Isn't "douche" insulting to women, since it's used as a pejorative for dirty vag cleaning instruments, implying that the vagina is a dirty thing?

rear end in a top hat never goes out of style, and it's equal-opportunity. :D

I had this conversation recently

quote:

doucheDictionary result for douche
/do͞oSH/Submit
noun
a shower of water.
"a daily douche"
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
an obnoxious or contemptible person (typically used of a man).
"that guy is such a douche"
verb
spray or shower with water.

Anything can be douched.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Lol I went downstairs to the finance and sales managers because I hate my Corolla and wanted to get out of my lease a whopping two months early.

They valued my 30K mile 2016 S-Plus Corolla at $12,000 and said yeaahh, probably best you just stick out the last two months. Weak.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

meatpimp posted:

It doesn't imply the vagina is _inherently_ dirty. If someone cares more about getting laid than hygiene things can get smelly tho and the type of dude who's consistently hooking up with (and obvs also is one of) those types generally also has some undesirable personality traits.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I had this conversation recently

Anything can be douched.

"Douche" is short for "douchebag" though, which *is* vagina-specific.

I'm generally of the opinion that searching for things to be offended by is loving stupid (uh oh, another word etymologically rooted in mental deficiency!), though.

e: which is not to say I think calling people ugly words is okay

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Douche is extra weird, since in most other languages, it just means "to wash"

I do need new terminology for some things though, like, what's a different way to say that someone's job is to be stuck doing the stuff that no one else wants to do? The only ways I've learned to say it quickly is "pinche", which is often heard as "gently caress" by people who don't know Spanish very well, or "scullion", which anglophones don't know, or "bitch", which just feels bad to say

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well ten goddamned seconds on Google tells me guys douche their buttholes.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Grakkus posted:

"Douche" is short for "douchebag" though, which *is* vagina-specific.

I'm generally of the opinion that searching for things to be offended by is loving stupid (uh oh, another word etymologically rooted in mental deficiency!), though.

e: which is not to say I think calling people ugly words is okay

Trust me when I say that a literal douchebag can be used for non-vaginal applications.

^^^evidently Rhyno knows this too^^^

:mmmhmm:

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Rhyno posted:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

Sure, "ten seconds on Google"

^^^^^^^ :hf:

Grakkus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 21, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Some of y'all in here clearly don't get F'd in the A and it shows. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Trust me, knowing what I eat there ain't nobody who wants any of that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW

You should always keep your butthole clean. Imagine if you died, think of the poor coroner.

This is why other countries have bidets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have a bidet!

I just need to reinstall the toilet so I can hook it back up.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You should always keep your butthole clean. Imagine if you died, think of the poor coroner.

This is why other countries have bidets.

Do they make one of those for my internet browsing history?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've been on a similar kick with the word(s) 'cocksucker'. It tends to be used as an insult, and my immediate thought is always "but thats a good thing to do for someone?". Someday, in the future, people will praise one another by saying "you're a real cocksucker!" and the response will be "thank you!".

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

El Jebus posted:

I've been on a similar kick with the word(s) 'cocksucker'. It tends to be used as an insult, and my immediate thought is always "but thats a good thing to do for someone?". Someday, in the future, people will praise one another by saying "you're a real cocksucker!" and the response will be "thank you!".

:yeah:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I douche my b hole every day

e: sorry I was wrong I didn’t realize the definition specifically says water and I use vodka

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 21, 2019

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I like to call people on the road "silly pricks" even though "prick" is presumably derogatory toward men.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

El Jebus posted:

If someone calls you a cocksucker just explain to them that this is a silly and homophobic insult as it is almost certain that their mother/wife/daughter has or does suck cocks and they presumably don’t think less of them for it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

My mother has worked with the developmentally disabled for 25 years so it tends to hit close to home.

Also it's my birthday so everyone stop doing that as a gift.

It is also my birthday, happy birthday to us, and I also want this as a present, thanks.

My mom is retired now but she was a speech pathologist and spent her entire career working with developmentally delayed people, mostly autistic children. I spent a few summers as a kid volunteering at public summer school special education classes (they liked having "normal" kids spend time in the classrooms to model behavior, and I didn't mind hanging out with those kids either, some of them were really fun people) and one of my part time jobs in college was doing medical billing for her joint private practice. It's cool that us Feb 21st boys have such good moms, eh.

I think even "developmentally delayed" is now sorta deprecated. http://nda.ie/Publications/Attitudes/Appropriate-Terms-to-Use-about-Disability/
Apparently it's "intellectually disabled" which I don't personally see as an improvement at all. In some ways it's worse, as it implies that "intellect" is a singularly-defined "thing" on a scale. All of these attempts at finding acceptable terms are dancing around the core issue, though, which is the stigmatization and de-normalization of human beings whose capabilities or perceptions or functions are outside the range of what socially-established cultural standards deem the norm. That is precisely why "retarded" and "retard" are now no-no words: they're too heavily burdened by decades of negative connotation to be salvaged.

The Door Frame posted:

I do need new terminology for some things though, like, what's a different way to say that someone's job is to be stuck doing the stuff that no one else wants to do? The only ways I've learned to say it quickly is "pinche", which is often heard as "gently caress" by people who don't know Spanish very well, or "scullion", which anglophones don't know, or "bitch", which just feels bad to say

Scullion is a perfectly good English word, albeit not well known. I immediately also think of "dogsbody" and "lackey," although probably "dogsbody" is more English than American and I only know it from Blackadder. Another good one is "drudge," although to me that connotes poor ability by the worker too. If the person achieved this status through deliberate submissively sucking-up behavior, "toady" is good.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 21, 2019

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Rhyno posted:

My mother has worked with the developmentally disabled for 25 years...

There's a joke here :v:

LOVE YOU RHYNO.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Rhyno posted:

You guys should stop calling people who do dumb things retarded.

I mean, I totally get where you're coming from, but: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retarded
And, it does say "informal, usually offensive", but the question remains, to whom? The person that's acting retarded? I'm in a very close situation as you, my wife deals with elderly and mentally handicapped people on the regular, but nobody calls actual mentally deficient people retarded unless they're completely a piece of poo poo. And by that, I mean no harm to actual pieces of poo poo, thank you actual pieces of poo poo for fulfilling a bodily function.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Anyone can suck a cock and if you're good at it you can have lots of friends so it's pretty much a compliment I would think.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
a 458 is such an easy car to slide it practically does it for you

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

keykey posted:

I mean, I totally get where you're coming from, but: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/retarded
And, it does say "informal, usually offensive", but the question remains, to whom? The person that's acting retarded? I'm in a very close situation as you, my wife deals with elderly and mentally handicapped people on the regular, but nobody calls actual mentally deficient people retarded unless they're completely a piece of poo poo. And by that, I mean no harm to actual pieces of poo poo, thank you actual pieces of poo poo for fulfilling a bodily function.

Hey dog you're using a word for developmentally disabled people as an insult. It only ever came to be an insult through that association. It reinforces the idea of having mental issues being a bad thing that you should be insulted when someone implies you have them.

IDGAF what the loving dictionary definition says, there's broader context that you can't find there.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

bird with big dick posted:

If someone calls you a cocksucker just explain to them that this is a silly and homophobic insult as it is almost certain that their mother/wife/daughter has or does suck cocks and they presumably don’t think less of them for it.

Like I said, the response is "thank you". If you want to bring up their family members participating, that's on you, Duck.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Literally every personalized insult ever created and used by man was mocking someone's disability or minority status, so at some point we should all just quit calling each other names in general and give more "thumbs up" signs instead.

Lame? Injurious to those with less than perfectly regular gaits.
Weak? Cuts deep if you can only bench the bar 3 times before having to rack it.
Dumb? The deafmute is signing offended words at you in ASL, and the other SL's too if they're multilingual (do not assume).
Moron? A clinical assessment of someone's low intelligence, hurtful to actual morons.

Give someone a hearty "thumbs up"? they feel like an rear end, you feel like an rear end, everyone wins.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Going back to two pages ago and A/V chat. I got a new Sony A8F last weekend, with this fancy Acoustic Surface technology. Basically there are drivers on the screen, so the screen itself produces mid/high-end frequencies. It's got two subs on the back of the TV.

Music and environmental noise sound beautiful and clear, but dialogue is massively unbalanced. In order to hear character dialogue, I've gotta crank it up so high that things like horns honking or door slamming are startlingly loud. Aside from loving around with the TV's audio settings (of which there are a ton of optimizers/spatializers/DOLBY fuckerizers), what's a good method of evening things out? Would moving to a simple soundbar setup or 2.1 speaker system eliminate the TV's tomfoolery with the audio signal, or should I be looking at an actual receiver/eq unit?

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
My girlfriend has strep, my wife has a flu not covered by this year's shot.

Pray for me, I will probably hit the hospital because diabetes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Prong Song posted:

Going back to two pages ago and A/V chat. I got a new Sony A8F last weekend, with this fancy Acoustic Surface technology. Basically there are drivers on the screen, so the screen itself produces mid/high-end frequencies. It's got two subs on the back of the TV.

Music and environmental noise sound beautiful and clear, but dialogue is massively unbalanced. In order to hear character dialogue, I've gotta crank it up so high that things like horns honking or door slamming are startlingly loud. Aside from loving around with the TV's audio settings (of which there are a ton of optimizers/spatializers/DOLBY fuckerizers), what's a good method of evening things out? Would moving to a simple soundbar setup or 2.1 speaker system eliminate the TV's tomfoolery with the audio signal, or should I be looking at an actual receiver/eq unit?

I just got a Yamaha RX-V683BL receiver and it has YPAO tuning with RSC (reflective sound control, I think). There are similar tuning methods from other brands, but it takes a microphone at a central position and runs a series of tones through each individual speaker, then adjusts the EQ on each speaker for a flat response, then adjusts for whatever sound field modification you are running.

It made a huge difference in my system. I've got 5 in-wall speakers in a sonically difficult room (30' x 20' - ish, but sprawling to other open areas of the house, all with vaulted ceilings. You can see the individual EQ parameters for each speaker and man, some of them are wildly different, especially the two rear surrounds that are only about 10' apart.

My thoughts are that you'd see a huge difference in switching to a traditional amp/speaker setup, but the killer app would be to tune and run the TV panel speaker from the external amp... is that possible?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

I just got a Yamaha RX-V683BL receiver and it has YPAO tuning with RSC (reflective sound control, I think). There are similar tuning methods from other brands, but it takes a microphone at a central position and runs a series of tones through each individual speaker, then adjusts the EQ on each speaker for a flat response, then adjusts for whatever sound field modification you are running.

It made a huge difference in my system. I've got 5 in-wall speakers in a sonically difficult room (30' x 20' - ish, but sprawling to other open areas of the house, all with vaulted ceilings. You can see the individual EQ parameters for each speaker and man, some of them are wildly different, especially the two rear surrounds that are only about 10' apart.

My thoughts are that you'd see a huge difference in switching to a traditional amp/speaker setup, but the killer app would be to tune and run the TV panel speaker from the external amp... is that possible?

You can change the TV to function as a center speaker in a 5.x environment, but I'm not sure you can change eq parameters on it using YPAO. Only if the receiver is smart enough to tune the other channels based on the static parameters of the center channel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/photo-radar-review-alberta-mason-1.5028016

quote:

The Alberta government plans to eliminate photo radar as a tool for revenue generation, Transportation Minister Brian Mason vowed Thursday.

"I think in some cases photo radar in the province of Alberta has been a cash cow," Mason told a news conference in Edmonton. "It's my intention that we are going to humanely put the cash cow down."

The government will introduce new guidelines and force municipalities to disclose locations and the rationale for their use at those sites.

Starting March 1, 2020, municipalities will be required to submit reports to the Alberta government showing the cameras are making the roads safer.

Municipal traffic safety plans will have to tie photo radar locations to safety and will be audited by the provincial government.

The government will prohibit the use of photo radar in speed transition zones starting June 1. The new guidelines will, for the first time, define what a transition zone is. The size of a zone varies according to how much a vehicle needs to slow down. For example, a change in speed of 30 km/hr, requires a transition zone of 200 metres, 100 meters on either side of a sign.

Municipalities will also be prohibited from placing the devices on multi-lane highways, like Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton, without having documented traffic data to justify them.

This might just be a to-be-ousted government trying to buy votes before the election, and will no doubt be reversed by the already impossibly corrupt government-to-be but holy hell, how did common sense sneak into government policy?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

El Jebus posted:

See, I' had that same thought. Ditto for variations thereof. I'm like, "what's bad about that?" Ties into the homophobic stuff I guess, since it's generally directed at males. I've been having to find gender-neutral non-degrading-to-anyone-but-the-recipient terms. As noted, "rear end in a top hat" seems to work well. "Jerk" if near polite company. Variations of jerk - jerk-rear end, jerklord, etc. for variety. My personal favorite thus far is "butt-nugget." It seems to get across my estimate of that person's' value well.

Nice.
Hell, if I could reach I'd never leave the house.

Pham Nuwen posted:

I like to call people on the road "silly pricks" even though "prick" is presumably derogatory toward men.

I've been know to use "dick" a bit. Probably too much.
Also, your buttcoin avatar amuses me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Prong Song posted:

I never trust a TVs built in anything. To be fair, I also don't buy high-end stuff, which surely affects that perception.
I've used a separate receiver and speakers for probably decades, whether just straight stereo, 3.1, or 5.1.
Reminds me that I need to drag one of my old receivers out into the garage to use. I have several that predate HDMI...

mewse
May 2, 2006

Powershift posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/photo-radar-review-alberta-mason-1.5028016

This might just be a to-be-ousted government trying to buy votes before the election, and will no doubt be reversed by the already impossibly corrupt government-to-be but holy hell, how did common sense sneak into government policy?

Over here in Manitoba they were theoretically supposed to run reports on road safety to justify the revenue generating cameras but afaik they never have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

meatpimp posted:

I missed your generous offer, MrChips. I don't know if my blankets fit into your offer, so I did this to make sure I'm in your window. :D

I totally forgot to get back to you on this earlier, and I apologise, but yes, I will count both your donations separately.

Thank you for your generosity! :glomp: