Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also in Japan I went to this enormous exhibition The Art of Disney, which I think was at Tokyo’s technology museum or somewhere like that in Odaiba.

I went on literally the last day of the exhibition and the queues to get in were about 90 minutes. Then you shuffled around in a tightly packed crowd for 2 hours looking at original artwork including concept art, production drawings, maquettes etc.

The artwork was incredible. It started with Walt Disney’s early sketches of Mickey Mouse and proceeded through many (but not all) of WDAS’s films, up to Moana. There was so much to see, all of it original art pulled from the Disney animation library.

The exhibition was actually educational too. For most movies they pulled some theme or technology that the movie is associated with. For instance, for Pinocchio they had info about the innovative animation cameras and camera techniques invented for the film. For Fantasia they talked about how they basically invented surround sound for the movie. For Bambi, they went into detail about how wildlife anatomy and observation influenced the animation to a bigger degree than ever before. There was a lot of profiling of key concept artists throughout Disney history too.

I then spent an extra hour in the queue for the gift shop (you got to read a big illustrated menu of everything sold within while waiting so it was ok). I got the exhibition book (a chunky volume) and a bunch of souvenirs that featured concept art from Zootopia, Lion King and other movies. I’ll share some pics of it all sometime. A lot of it was exclusive to the exhibition.

One of the best days of my Japan trip, in retrospect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Shock people out of complacency' seems like it's a common generic villain motive for people who just want to do monstrous things, reminded of the last ep of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged of all things.

I think it reads especially strange in the post-Trump world.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hedrigall posted:

I went there just over a year ago! It was fantastic, my favourite part was the recreation of Miyazaki’s study. I wanted to spend hours in there.

They also had an exhibition of the food of Ghibli movies with hyper-real 3D recreations of various fantasy foods (eg: the banquet that turns Chihiro’s parents into pigs in Spirited Away) and some fully constructed sets of kitchens from Ghibli movies (eg: the kitchen from the airship in Nausicaa)

What a fantastic museum. You can’t take photos inside it sadly 😔 But I got a bunch of souvenirs from their excellent gift shop.

I love the focus food gets in Miyazaki movies and there's a react video where they challenge teens to not eat renditions of ghibli food prepared for them, I love it and it makes me super hungry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgz1aYqEEyk&hd=1

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Reaction videos are cursed, I'm sorry.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Shock people out of complacency' seems like it's a common generic villain motive for people who just want to do monstrous things, reminded of the last ep of Hellsing Ultimate Abridged of all things.

I think it reads especially strange in the post-Trump world.

We need a story where a villain tries to shock people out of complacency and then by next week everyone’s already forgotten about his alien bomb.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

We need a story where a villain tries to shock people out of complacency and then by next week everyone’s already forgotten about his alien bomb.
That's kind of the implication of Watchmen's ending.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah, because you don't really "shock" people out of complacency, you have to put in the effort to actually to change the toxic systems that enabled (or in many cases directly enforced) that complacency in the first place. Show people a better way, give them something meaningful to work towards. The status quo is status for a reason and you can't change it with one big gory modern art performance.

Timeless Appeal posted:

That's kind of the implication of Watchmen's ending.

Pretty much, yeah.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Kind of what Persona 5 was trying to go for, but it doesn't quite stick the landing (but makes up for it being stylish as hell)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pigbuster posted:

I'm sure there's been a documentary about the unibomber by now.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pick posted:

I'm sure there's been a documentary about the unibomber by now.
The Underminer steals tons of cash and wrecks the financial district then fucks off for the rest of the film.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

That's basically what happens in every superhero story.

I want to see a disgruntled superhero snap after one villainous monologue too many and go on a massive rant about how people see the supervillain as a glorified plumbing problem now and nobody gives the slightest poo poo about the giant robot spider or sandworms in the subway after a week.

Hell, TDK Joker specifically pointed out that things like bank robberies are forgotten quickly, and proper terrorism needs to be arbitrary, shocking and surprising to have any kind of impact.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Right, but I don't think they're comparable because Syndrome isn't supposed to be the same type of character- he's not meant to be a flawed but well-meaning figure who's going about a noble cause the wrong way, he's a screwed-up kid who was rejected by his idol and never let it go. Would it really be a good thing for everyone in this society to have access to superhuman powers?

The same conceptual equivalent might be said for eyeglasses - should everyone in society have access to 20/20 vision? Are we going to get into some kind of Harrison Bergeron primalism, where people are restricted to only their inherent genetic capability?

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Phylodox posted:

The first season of The Dragon Prince seemed cool, but the characters seemed a bit fluffy, and the framerate of the animation was embarrassingly bad a lot of the time.

For what it's worth the second season just came out and it looks a lot better, specifically because so many people were put off by the first season's animation. The characters get a bit more to chew on this season too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Pyrotoad posted:

For what it's worth the second season just came out and it looks a lot better, specifically because so many people were put off by the first season's animation. The characters get a bit more to chew on this season too.

Thanks for reminding me! Now I have something to binge this weekend :)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Quick note that there is one scene in the first episode with a lovely framerate but it's the only one I noticed, so don't get put off by it.

I thought the second season rocked but I'm severely tempted to wait until the show is finished/cancelled and then marathon the rest of it in one go because these nine-episode seasons really aren't enough.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the frame rate thing in Dragon Prince intentional or an issue with the master copy? My girlfriend was upset about Dragon Prince because of.

Also, Lupin The 3rd: The Secret of Mamo is getting a 4k release in Japan. I'm really jealous. Hopefully we get it out here, but I don't even know if the US has any 4k Blu-ray anime.
https://youtu.be/F83S5kC9nIY

I didn't know the Japanese title was Lupin vs. Clone. Kinda gives away a twist.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the frame rate thing in Dragon Prince intentional or an issue with the master copy? My girlfriend was upset about Dragon Prince because of.

It was intentional, yeah. The thought was it made it look more like traditional animation, and they're not wrong (Spider-Verse limited its framerate to great success, and the battle scenes in TDP look great because of it).

However, as soon as characters aren't moving quickly (ie a slow dialog scene) it looked really, really bad. Thankfully they responded to the feedback and changed it up for the second season.

It was also a time/cost cutting thing (less frames = less render time) but yeah, it was intentional for a few reasons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah. I remember trying to watch that Fist of the North Star prequel and shut it off after ten minutes because the frame rate made the animation look so bad. And yet, Spider-Verse is the best animated movie in at least a decade.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Into the Spider-Verse used it judiciously. And it probably helped that they were starting from a higher framerate to begin with. Dragon Prince felt like they just decided to uniformly animate on, like, threes or fours.

And I think I’m a bit bothered by everyone sounding like Sokka (in terms of dialogue, I know one of the characters is literally voiced by Jack DeSena). Everyone seems to fall into the same snarky, detached, observational voice after a while. I hope they temper that in season 2.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

And I think I’m a bit bothered by everyone sounding like Sokka (in terms of dialogue, I know one of the characters is literally voiced by Jack DeSena). Everyone seems to fall into the same snarky, detached, observational voice after a while. I hope they temper that in season 2.

It's really only two characters but they are major ones so it sticks out a bit. But yeah, Callium is basically season 3 Sokka and Soren is Sokka but unbelievably, impossibly dumb. Like I cannot get over how amazingly dumb Soren is.

…He's probably my favorite character.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

asecondduck posted:

It's really only two characters but they are major ones so it sticks out a bit. But yeah, Callium is basically season 3 Sokka and Soren is Sokka but unbelievably, impossibly dumb. Like I cannot get over how amazingly dumb Soren is.

…He's probably my favorite character.

The main villain’s two kids are both pretty bad about it, as are all three main protagonists, and almost everyone else has a moment or two here and there. I like jokes as much as anyone, but it’s like the show lacks the confidence to have the characters stand on their own without making droll comments. And the humour seems pretty uniform. With Avatar, each character had a very distinct voice, and their humour flowed from that. A Toph joke wouldn’t work coming from Sokka, an Iroh joke wouldn’t work coming from Aang.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The main villain’s two kids are both pretty bad about it, as are all three main protagonists, and almost everyone else has a moment or two here and there. I like jokes as much as anyone, but it’s like the show lacks the confidence to have the characters stand on their own without making droll comments. And the humour seems pretty uniform. With Avatar, each character had a very distinct voice, and their humour flowed from that. A Toph joke wouldn’t work coming from Sokka, an Iroh joke wouldn’t work coming from Aang.

Yeah it's a little odd at points, seems like they feel they have to cram a lot of jokes in even right in the middle of an otherwise very serious conversation.

A lot of my freinds who enjoyed the latter half of Avatar and Korra are absolutely loving Dragon Prince and are sort of like "oh boy it's great because I can recommend this show wholeheartedly and without any caveats" because they felt embarrassed by how relatively silly early Avatar could be. I'm enjoying Dragon Prince just fine but I feel like the tone swings a lot more than TLA ever did, it might just be that there's less total time in a "season" so the humor feels like it's taking up more time.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i thought dragon prince season 1 was aggressively mediocre, in terms of animation and writing (especially the terrible jokes), and the setting feels like a big generic step down compared to avatar

the deaf general and her sidekick are dope tho

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The setting definitely doesn’t feel as inspired, since it’s coming from a lot of previous fantasy work inspirations as opposed to real cultures that inspired the Avatar civilizations.
We have a thread for The Dragon Prince in the tv part of the forum if people wanna do any deep discussion of it there.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZS5cgybKcI

Pixar has been sneakin' out shorts on Youtube the last few weeks. They are very good. (And I haven't seen anyone mention 'em here yet... unless I'm wrong)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Fartington Butts posted:

Pixar has been sneakin' out shorts on Youtube the last few weeks. They are very good. (And I haven't seen anyone mention 'em here yet... unless I'm wrong)

Is this 3d animation in some way or we going to a future swap where Disney animation is all 3d and Pixar is their 2d animation branch?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I really like Kitbull. I also really like cats and my very good childhood dog was half pit, so I'm biased.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is this 3d animation in some way or we going to a future swap where Disney animation is all 3d and Pixar is their 2d animation branch?

the other two Sparkshorts out are in 3D, so I think this short being in 2D was specific to it (and any other short made by someone who wanted it to be 2D)

Megera
Sep 9, 2008

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

the other two Sparkshorts out are in 3D, so I think this short being in 2D was specific to it (and any other short made by someone who wanted it to be 2D)

To be clear, it is still 3D but rendered to look like 2D.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Apparently Steve Purcell, creator of Sam and Max, is working at Pixar currently. (and has nixed any ideas of Pixar making a Sam and Max thing, since their signature tones don't really gel at all)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Steve Purcell, creator of Sam and Max, is working at Pixar currently. (and has nixed any ideas of Pixar making a Sam and Max thing, since their signature tones don't really gel at all)

he's been at pixar for roughly 15 years:

he was co-director and one of the screenplay writers on Brave, and wrote/directed Toy Story that Time Forgot

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I figured. I'm wondering how that works? Since he iirc still owns Sam and Max, and I dunno if non-competes would let him work on stuff with them while working for Pixar, though maybe the Telltale games wouldn't count?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I figured. I'm wondering how that works? Since he iirc still owns Sam and Max, and I dunno if non-competes would let him work on stuff with them while working for Pixar, though maybe the Telltale games wouldn't count?

It probably wouldn't be a non-compete per-se but a secondary employment agreement or whatever the hell they're called in legal terms. There are different structures to them but since Pixar doesn't make games and Disney doesn't have a game studio licensing his IP for a game/working on one during non-Pixar hours likely wouldn't violate any agreement he has unless he's got something crazy going on.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Fartington Butts posted:

TOO REAL.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

It probably wouldn't be a non-compete per-se but a secondary employment agreement or whatever the hell they're called in legal terms. There are different structures to them but since Pixar doesn't make games and Disney doesn't have a game studio licensing his IP for a game/working on one during non-Pixar hours likely wouldn't violate any agreement he has unless he's got something crazy going on.

Usually Steve Purcell when not making Sam and Max comics/art is usually licensing his ip out. That's why Telltale games got Sam and Max, they licensed it after the fall of LucasArts. I believe that Steve provides concept art, ideas and such but usually let's the company make the product as long as it maintains a similar tone to the original.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

HTTYD 3 certainly was a movie!

Gorgeous visuals and score as always, but at the end I felt like the last 15 minutes or so was the story they really wanted to tell, but needed to throw the rest in to make the runtime.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

TIL Angry Birds 2 is being directed by Thurop Van Orman (the Flapjack guy)

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I saw the Lego Movie 2 yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't seen the first one in a while, so I was able to just enjoy it as it was without subconsciously comparing it to the original.

The time travel part of the plot confused me a little bit, but I guess they basically did say that the parts where the toys are actually moving irl weren't actually happening irl, so whatev. Speaking of, Watevra was a joy to listen to and watch, and I loved her song and the way they made it sound like they were actually secretly evil and just pretending to want to help, only for it to turn out it was genuine and they really WERE good.

I think the novelty of the animation style has worn off a little bit now since the release of the original, but I still found it a lot of fun and would definitely watch it again.

Also, that song DID get stuck inside my head. :mad:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

TIL Angry Birds 2 is being directed by Thurop Van Orman (the Flapjack guy)

This is just going to make me want to watch it though...

Butt Detective posted:

I saw the Lego Movie 2 yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot! I haven't seen the first one in a while, so I was able to just enjoy it as it was without subconsciously comparing it to the original.

The time travel part of the plot confused me a little bit, but I guess they basically did say that the parts where the toys are actually moving irl weren't actually happening irl, so whatev. Speaking of, Watevra was a joy to listen to and watch, and I loved her song and the way they made it sound like they were actually secretly evil and just pretending to want to help, only for it to turn out it was genuine and they really WERE good.

I think the novelty of the animation style has worn off a little bit now since the release of the original, but I still found it a lot of fun and would definitely watch it again.

Also, that song DID get stuck inside my head. :mad:

Did you catch the Halloween theme used in Whatevra's song? Ever since I noticed it, I can't not notice it, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Usually Steve Purcell when not making Sam and Max comics/art is usually licensing his ip out. That's why Telltale games got Sam and Max, they licensed it after the fall of LucasArts. I believe that Steve provides concept art, ideas and such but usually let's the company make the product as long as it maintains a similar tone to the original.

Well, that just leaves the question of who he could license it to after the fall of Telltale. Of the indie studios keeping the point-and-click adventure genre alive on Steam, are there currently any that could be trusted to do Sam & Max justce?