Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

All this Metroidvania talk has reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask someone: Is Metroid Fusion the Metroid for me?

Metroid: Samus Returns is the only Metroid I've finished, let alone come close to finishing, and I think the QoL improvements that let you find hidden areas and figure out where to go are the main reason why. I liked the game, but the combat could've been faster and relied too much on the counter mechanic, and the boss fights got a bit repetitive. As for the older games, I was a Genesis kid so I missed out on Super Metroid at the time. I tried it out on my SNES Classic last year and bounced right off of it after getting stuck somewhere almost immediately and not having the patience to resort to a guide. I tried Metroid Zero Mission out last month and had a much better time - it feels great, the combat and movement are faster paced than Samus Returns, but I dropped it about 5 hours in after a few instances of getting stuck, consulting a guide, and finding out I was in the right area but overlooked a hole in the wall or didn't shoot the right hidden block. Apparently my patience for such things has vanished now that I'm in my 30s with a full-time job and a toddler that constantly wants to pull the controller out of my hands.

So now I'm eyeing Metroid Fusion, but I get the impression that it's a very polarizing game. One of the criticisms I've seen is that it's too handhold-y, but relative to the other entries in the series that seems like... possibly a good thing to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You'll probably like Fusion because it is more linear than some of the other games. Said linearity got shat on by fans but I don't think its a bad thing though because it is in service to the game's more Alien-esque claustrophobic horror atmosphere which it does well. The boss fights are neat in Fusion too.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yeah it sounds like it. there are some moments where you're operating blind but for the most part you have a CO who tells you where to go. but more importantly fusion owns

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Fusion is more linear until the endgame but I thought it was neat how they change up the various different areas of the game and how they change as the game goes along and how by the endgame you can just say gently caress it to all of the security measures the galactic federation had set up and go steamrolling through

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Speaking of Fusion...

the sequel to Trials Fusion is in open beta. Also it's available on Switch which owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MbFe6e7CI

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

fusion is so good

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Since you've tried Zero Mission, then Fusion is like that mechanically except there's an AI instead of a Chozo Statue that tells you where to go and also it gives you a plot and is also always located at the start of the area and each area goes back to a central hub and there's only one path forward (which the game is still going to obfuscate sometimes).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Surge with DLC is my 13th completed game of 2019. The only thing I would change is making the protagonist the likeness of Matt Damon.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Get the Prime Trilogy for your Nintendo Wii/U

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Help Im Alive posted:

Get the Prime Trilogy for your Nintendo Wii/U

I don't think you can anymore, didn't they close the eshop?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MMF Freeway posted:

I don't think you can anymore, didn't they close the eshop?

They closed it for the original Wii, you can still use it on Wii U and 3DS.

Motion aiming in prime trilogy is a fantastic control scheme, even if it does mess with the difficulty a bit in the games that weren't designed around it.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of Fusion...

the sequel to Trials Fusion is in open beta. Also it's available on Switch which owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MbFe6e7CI

the switch version has extremely downgraded graphics based on a comparison clip that was making the rounds earlier

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

they should make a metroid game where samus has a sword or a whip, maybe both, and has to explore a gothic castle filled vampires and demons, and she's wearing fancy clothing instead of a power suit.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You play as her daughter, Sumas.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

sharrrk posted:

they should make a metroid game where samus has a sword or a whip, maybe both, and has to explore a gothic castle filled vampires and demons, and she's wearing fancy clothing instead of a power suit.

Darksiders 3 came out like three months ago

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

the switch version has extremely downgraded graphics based on a comparison clip that was making the rounds earlier

I just played the demo myself and I dunno, for a handheld game it seemed fine

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trials was fun when it was a line art flash game, slightly worse modern 3D graphics probably won't be an issue.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

sharrrk posted:

i would play a full game of castle cainhurst

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Hi I'm a big baby who decided to go out and try to shovel snow and it turned out the thick snow on top was covering a bunch of foot-deep water underneath so I took a step and ended up sinking into cold water and now my feet are numbed and warming up but it's frustrating because shoveling a little bit of snow shouldn't be hard but it's hard to do so when it turns out it's secretly water.

Doesn't help that suddenly being in cold water is a trigger for me so that was no fun.

Keep warm everybody, hopefully the bad weather lightens up soon.

This point in time or a few weeks ago is where winter in the Midwest gradually slides its way from "ohhh look it's snowing! Pretty!" to "all the boys on the front are demoralized in the seemingly endless fight against Old Man Winter- my dearest Jessica-Polly-Anne pray for our souls *distant artillery/snowplow noises*"

I'm really glad I got my old Craigslist snowblower fixed up and firing again

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

sharrrk posted:

Order of Ecclesia is like a decade old now.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yoko Taro has become next level.

Hai domo! Yoko Taro Is Set To Become A Virtual YouTuber In March

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/02/21/hai-domo-yoko-taro-is-set-to-become-a-virtual-youtuber-in-march/

Also this game from the Gunman Clive people looks rad as poo poo.

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/gunman-clive-studio-horberg-productions-announces-mechstermination-force-for-switch

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did any of ya'll ever play Rain World?

Would you consider it a good game?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1098661600221892608

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The Age Of Bowser

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

what the ever living gently caress :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

The Age Of Bowsette

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Oh no

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Jim Toadsworth has been waiting so patiently to be put in charge but here comes Bowser taking over the company.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
poo poo, the year of Bowser begins.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What!! No...

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a doug bowser jr.?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The kids can call him BowJu

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1098666321473024000

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pro watch zone :3:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Did any of ya'll ever play Rain World?

Would you consider it a good game?

I finished the first area (biome?) and liked what I played. I will eventually beat it as default slugcat but I don't know if I would revisit it as the other characters. It seems like a game with a strong core idea but there's not enough to hook me longer than a few hours.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1098665374114082816

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

makes sense, why would Nintendo bother to make any more Marios when we'll be able to make our own with Mario Maker 2

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking about Order of Ecclesia, I wish the glyphs had felt more varied. There wasn't much variety to swing types and most of the elemental ones either cost too much for their damage or weren't much different from just forward hitting weapons. I still like the game despite that and its other flaws like the zones that are just hallways, though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Looking forward to Super Bowser Universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

My body was not ready for this, specifically my tear ducts :smith:

Also Metroid Fusion is dope and unfairly shat upon by people who put Super Metroid on a pedestal.