Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Political jokes in The Simpsons were usually carefully written so that you could interpret them either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
huh

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last few American Dads are indistinguishable from bad SImpsons.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Francine takes up bodybuilding, has wild sex and gets mad at Homer.

Guy Fieri comes to Springfield how wacky and fun!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

either the show is ham-handed or overly subtle in communicating political messages, so as far as unpolitics go it's as bad as south park

*constant slams on the clintons*

*zero mention of george bush in an eight year presidency*

who is worse politics man???? :shuckyes:

Probably for the best, honestly. The show was already bad by the time of W and we were already deep in lovely lazy “W=chimp lol” jokes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Here's how the Simpsons handled the then-current political climate in Season 15

quote:

Homer and Marge take the kids to get their shots. Just before Dr. Hibbert is about to inject Bart, he escapes. After a chase through town, Hibbert finally outsmarts Bart, by having Barney wear a latex mask, and finally injects him. The shot, however, causes Bart's earholes to swell shut, making him temporarily deaf. Hibbert also tricks Homer into signing a malpractice waiver. Marge wanted Bart to stay home; however, Bart wants to play in the donkey basketball game.

While at the Springfield Elementary School donkey basketball game, Bart taunts a donkey with a carrot, unaware that the school is reciting the national anthem. After he places the carrot in his shorts, the donkey takes it and rips off Bart's shorts. While Bart is bent over to keep his privates covered with his shirt, the US flag is put up behind him and a photo is taken, which results in the crowd assuming that Bart is mooning the US flag. Shortly afterwards, the Springfield Shopper takes the story and completely turns it around, making it seem as if Bart had deliberately mooned the flag. Marge tries to tell Skinner that Bart was deaf at the time; however, because of Bart's history of similar pranks Skinner doesn't believe it. He and his family soon are hated by all of Springfield.

The Simpsons are later asked to appear on a talk show and tell their side of the story. Homer advises Marge to not take it too far. However, the host asks, instead, "What part of America do you hate most?" (an example of the fallacy of many questions). Marge says that, if by Americans you mean loud mouth talkshow hosts which everyone seems to be, then yes she does hate the Americans. She also said that she is well liked in Springfield, prompting the host to say that Springfield hates the US. The US then turns their back on Springfield (though there's widespread celebration in praise of Springfield in the Middle East), so Mayor Quimby frantically decides to change the name of Springfield to "Liberty-ville." Everything in town is quickly patriotized; the traffic light colors are changed to red, white, and blue, and everything costs $17.76. While at church, Lisa speaks her opinion about patriotism, and the Simpsons are taken into custody, in violation of the "Government Knows Best Act."

The Simpsons are taken to the "Ronald Reagan Re-education Center", which houses Michael Moore, the Dixie Chicks, Elmo, Al Franken, and Bill Clinton, as well as a man who moans "My only crime was driving a van full of explosives in from Canada!". Marge feels bad that she took it too far after Homer warned her not to. With some help from the last-registered Democrat, the Simpsons escape the prison (in a parody of the escape scene from The Blues Brothers), but realize that the re-education center is actually Alcatraz Prison. While they are swimming to land (choosing to swim to Oakland instead of San Francisco because they "aren't made of money"), they are picked up by a French freighter and are brought to France. They are well adjusted, but still miss the United States, mainly because it is where all their stuff is. They then move back to the US dressed as 19th century immigrants from Europe where Homer speaks of plans of integration into the United States.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

either the show is ham-handed or overly subtle in communicating political messages, so as far as unpolitics go it's as bad as south park

*constant slams on the clintons*

*zero mention of george bush in an eight year presidency*

who is worse politics man???? :shuckyes:

well it certainly can't be anything to do with the network on which the show airs! i mean they make fun of it about once a season by saying it's got bad shows or whatever! zing!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyway the clinton/dole treehouse of horror was the best one by far

:colbert: end communication

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The joke about swimming to Oakland over San Fran makes me chuckle tbh.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

PostNouveau posted:

That was the episode where I realized good simpsons was never coming back and stopped watching.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sagebrush posted:

anyway the clinton/dole treehouse of horror was the best one by far

:colbert: end communication

Simpsons used to be so good that their episode about the most inconsequential modern election is a classic.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Probably for the best, honestly. The show was already bad by the time of W and we were already deep in lovely lazy “W=chimp lol” jokes.

Even South Park was really restrained when it came to "lol Dubya lol" jokes and I noticed it even at the time.

Family Guy was the show that went hog-wild with those jokes.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
making fun of the President during a time of war is disrespectful

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Justin Godscock posted:

Even South Park was really restrained when it came to "lol Dubya lol" jokes and I noticed it even at the time.

good thing they used their power for good and not evil, saying climate change is bullshit and "maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle" with every objective truth :nallears:

it was funny in the crab people episode how the president is just a generic president, however

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but homer literally fights Bush

former President Bush :colbert:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

lmao imagine being mad that a 10 year old boy mooned the flag.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

sassassin posted:

The last few American Dads are indistinguishable from bad SImpsons.

they were actually good, sorry

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Justin Godscock posted:

The South Park guys openly said they didn’t do it because it was overdone already. They’re also libertarian so I’m sure a little of that also factored in but they didn’t really make fun of Obama though either.

Family Guy is exactly what I was thinking as the perfect example of the worst Dubya humor.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

CodfishCartographer posted:

lmao imagine being mad that a 10 year old boy mooned the flag.

You should have seen the doll Bart burning when the Aus episode aired here

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

Arrested Development was the best anti-Bush satire

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Nonviolent J posted:

You should have seen the doll Bart burning when the Aus episode aired here

What they do, leave them outside in the summer?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

The South Park guys openly said they didn’t do it because it was overdone already. They’re also libertarian so I’m sure a little of that also factored in but they didn’t really make fun of Obama though either.

Family Guy is exactly what I was thinking as the perfect example of the worst Dubya humor.

They also did That's My Bush so they may have been a bit shy.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld-C53EISx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Zp7jKNugA

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

former President Bush :colbert:

Well...

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7SQKGHUR5c

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I never knew it was a real thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uInyIuNmqEo

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Plan Z posted:

Anyone remember that awful show "Little Bush"?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Plan Z posted:

They were going to do a Gore sitcom if the election went the other way.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Lci_O-PVI

I remembered the animation being bad, but apparently it was worse than I remembered.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Original_Z posted:

Anyone remember that awful show "Little Bush"?

No wonder he was crying about the Brazilian dead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

marktheando posted:

theyd still be making it to this day if that were the case lmao

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Calaveron posted:

Who the gently caress is Marc Marion

This pretty much encapsulates why I stopped watching.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to change the onion on my belt.

Out of curiosity, do younger viewers watch old episodes and Google up the references? The one I'm thinking of off the top of my head is where Bart sells his soul, and Milhouse trades it for ALF pogs. I was in college during the pogs craze, and obviously old enough to remember ALF, so that bit cracks me up, but I could see that being totally lost on some of you young'uns.

Also, I made it thru about 10 seconds of that Lady & the Tramp... whatever you wanna call it. I seriously thought the synopsis posted was another goon-written parody of a current episode, saw the thumbnail of the YT clip, and wanted to make sure I wasn't having a stroke. Guess I'm not really missing much from having stopped actively watching around 2000 or so. (Funny enough, that was right when X-Files turned to complete poo poo, too. I went from years of being glued to my tv every Sunday night to "eh". Good going, Fox.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

really fox is so bad that anything good being made seems pretty much like a fluke

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

We are nearly a full decade past the year that the first future episode of the Simpsons was set in.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Lol younger viewers were all getting old

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Is there something about Marc Maron beyond his podcast? His standup's pretty run-of-the-mill, but I've always been confused by the praise that comedians a million times funnier throw on him.

He's supposed to be pretty good in GLOW, which is on my to-watch list.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Out of curiosity, do younger viewers watch old episodes and Google up the references?

I mean heck go back further to the first few seasons and see how many of 'em would get any of their ragging on old man Bush

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Plan Z posted:

Is there something about Marc Maron beyond his podcast? His standup's pretty run-of-the-mill, but I've always been confused by the praise that comedians a million times funnier throw on him.

His podcast gets some pretty big gets

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Plan Z posted:

He's pretty much perfect for his part in that, but I can't stand more than 5 minutes of Maron, so maybe GLOW just has better writers and source material than anything I've ever seen him in.

mexican willie
Mar 17, 2007

marktheando posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roRQ2mNwMMQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
old Simpsons were def more sympathetic to the democrats , but the jokes were great

Grandpa getting checks because “the demmiecrats are back in power”

“Is it noon already ?”
“hey Clinton! Get back to work !
“Make me !”

Bush saying he accomplished everything he needed in 1 term and thus no need for a second

The republican meeting at mr burns mansion , the Rush Limbaugh parody , then the Krusty running as a Republican senator.

they slipped in a few George w bush references here and there but they were garbage “commander kookoo bananas/another quagmire “

now it’s jokes about you know who and they are as bad as you imagine