Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Duke Chin posted:

yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradigm

Yeah.

Here's another method from back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7Tbw7K-vc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
really? I give all y'all the the underhand toss and no one comes back with "yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradiddle"

shameful drummers... shameful! :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I used to be on staff for a group called Paradigm Percussion so all those comparisons are long lost on me :shrug:

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duke Chin posted:

really? I give all y'all the the underhand toss and no one comes back with "yeah but then you're not disrupting the paradiddle"

shameful drummers... shameful! :v:

lmao

stick control book update: lmao i thought this would be easy but its hard as poo poo to get through the exercises in this book by the instructions (on time, slowly, quickly, and without a metronome).

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Hmm I did a small mistake by soaking my hardware in CLR. The lugs and chrome plated lug holders (?) and hoops came out awesome, but all the screws lost their nice golden plating and are now an awful green color :(

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Get new tension rods big whoop :shrug:

You can get packs of Gibraltar/pearl/dw all over the internets

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Jazz Marimba posted:

Syncopation is one of the older ones, but literally everyone I know has gone through it at some point, and I even own a copy, but I've just never done anything with it. It might good a good next step or companion to Stick Control, both supplemented with a teacher if possible.

Honestly I sourced the books in the OP from what my teachers have had me buy, books I've picked up along the way and liked and now use for teaching, and what my colleagues have recommended. Let me know if you come across anything cool and I'll check it out. I know Virgil Donati came out with a double bass book recently...I should prolly borrow it from my housemate and add it to the OP at some point :effort:

edit: lol there are so many fewer books in the OP than I thought. I might update it this week

Syncopation is good for learning to read, but for my money, the best parts are pages 34 onwards because they're showing the rhythms you'll see in Real Book charts all the time. So like, you play swing on your right hand, and play the snare rhythms between your left hand and left foot. Then try using latin rhythms on your feet, and so on.

I would definitely add Intermediate Snare Drum Studies and Advanced Snare Drum Studies to the list by Mitchell Peters. They're a little outdated in how they're written, but they're pretty solid studies regardless.

I haven't personally tried this one, and it's hard for me to order because I'm in Canada, but they were written by a lot of DCI guys so they'd serve as good material for any students who have auditions coming up, or if people are just looking for more rudimental material.
https://www.tapspace.com/books/the-blue-book/

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Learn this at all tempos, with and without the eighth note check on beats 2 & 4. Get that down and you should be able to play like 80% of music ever written (the other 20% accounts for triplet rhythms)

(apologies for this weird .png, just search "thom hannum check patterns" if you're legit interested. I'm half joking and mostly serious about these rhythms being like 80% of all western music)

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
In continuing my journey of adding more live instruments to my productions, I think the next instrument I want to teach myself is drums. I primarily make hip-hop music, but also dabble in funk and soul as well, but I know next to nothing about drum kits and especially what sound I am looking for. I am not in a rush and my plan was to basically browse pawn shops and craigslist for the next few months to try and piece together a really basic kit (kick, snare, hi hat and maybe a crash cymbal). I would definitely appreciate any advice on brands/models to look out for as I start browsing.

In terms of the sound I am going for, I really dig that vintage 60's / 70's sound that certain artists like Adrian Younge have been able to capture. If you want an example, check out his album with Ghostface Killah called "12 Reasons to Die". Now I know he has a ridiculous setup in terms of mics, pre-amps, and compressors (all analog), and he records to tape which is a big part of his sound. I would like to keep the total cost under $500 if possible but understand that vintage gear can get really expensive. I also realize that the actual drum is just one piece of the equation and that the microphone and recording techniques used play as much, if not more of a role in the sound. If there are any drum-micing tips or resources you know of, I would definitely appreciate those.

In addition to the sound, a big part of why I want to start learning drums is because I feel like my drum patterns could use more variation or groove and I find a lot of inspiration actually playing instruments vs. clicking around on a piano roll in Ableton. I currently use a Push2 in combination with Ableton's Drum Rack & Sampler to write most of my drum patterns.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Well for $500 you'll have to get an acoustic kit and even then you may be limited. If you can wait a month or two you should see a flood of kits on Craigslist from people who got them for Christmas but found out practice is hard (this works for all instruments) so they'll want to unload them.

Now if you can find an electronic kit for under $500, awesome.As long as there's a MIDI or AUX out on the brain you can trigger in software of your choice but the feel and response from the pads won't be great. Things like ghost notes or even rolls may sound...well, like a cheap rear end electronics drum kit.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I probably should have mentioned that I wasn't really considering an electric kit, specifically because the feel and response isn't going to be right. If it's just MIDI, I might as well stick with the Push2. Are there any brands of acoustic drums / hats that I should look out for on the used market?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MrSargent posted:

I probably should have mentioned that I wasn't really considering an electric kit, specifically because the feel and response isn't going to be right. If it's just MIDI, I might as well stick with the Push2. Are there any brands of acoustic drums / hats that I should look out for on the used market?

It'll all vary depending on the condition of the set you find, but anything with a name you've heard of before should be generally safe—something like Pearl, Yamaha, DW, Mapex, or Tama for drums and Zildjian, Sabian, or Paiste for cymbals (those aren't meant to be exhaustive lists but it definitely covers the top companies). Stay away from toys/cheap stuff like First Act or Atom Sound.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

Yeah.

Here's another method from back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7Tbw7K-vc

I kept trying different tuning methods, but the one that finally clicked for me is this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLEjrq_TFRg

He has similar videos for the bass and snare, the only difference is he turns the bass res head up an extra turn or so, and he cranks the snare res head way up, everything else is the same wrinkle-elimination thing as above. This is going to give you a low pitch with lots of sustain, so moonjel or similar is recommended, but I've always been into the lower frequencies so it was just what I was looking for in terms of tone without having to try and actually tune things to a note, that poo poo's just 2tedious4me :(

Jazz Marimba posted:

edit: lol there are so many fewer books in the OP than I thought. I might update it this week

I can recommend Realistic Rock by Carmine Appice for beginning drummers. It works in more of the drumkit and is more... musical, I guess... than just Stick Control by itself, so once you have more than just a practice pad or snare I think it's a good next step to start working in the bass and hihat etc.

MrSargent posted:

Also get on Nextdoor if you're not already, they have a buy/sell/giveaway section that's pretty much just a more focused Craigslist, but every few weeks I'll do a search for 'drum' and usually see at least a few kits people are trying to move. Once saw a complete kit with cymbals and hardware for $150. It was some noname brand but for that price it's hard to go wrong, especially if you're just starting out. Unless you strike Craigslist gold you're not going to get much vintage gear for 500, more realistically you should expect to pick up a cheaper kit and then figure out what you like and what you don't, then you'll have a better idea about what to look for when you're shopping around. Buying a drumkit is like buying a motorcycle, it seems like one would be enough, but it never is :evilbuddy:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

You can always try running old school ads in the classified section of your local paper. I know a collector that does this and he'll get calls from old people who have poo poo like this that's been siting in the attic for 30 years.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Thanks for all of the advice. I have had some decent luck with used music gear in my area so I am hoping I can pick up something decent for that price by just giving it some time.

And literally while typing this I see a 8-piece Pearl Soundcheck Series Drum Kit with Sabian Hat/Cymbals for $280 including stands and cases. That seems like a pretty good price? It's about an hour out of the way but that seems really cheap when I look at prices online.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

MrSargent posted:

Thanks for all of the advice. I have had some decent luck with used music gear in my area so I am hoping I can pick up something decent for that price by just giving it some time.

And literally while typing this I see a 8-piece Pearl Soundcheck Series Drum Kit with Sabian Hat/Cymbals for $280 including stands and cases. That seems like a pretty good price? It's about an hour out of the way but that seems really cheap when I look at prices online.

A new set of those goes for about $500 US so yeah, that sounds good.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MrSargent posted:

Yeah that's what we're talking about. Pearl and Sabian are both good brands, so as long as nothing is physically broken that sounds like a great starter kit. And including hardware and cases? loving sold. Soundcheck does look like a lower-end model, but I'd still recommend it for you to learn on, once you've put some time into it you'll know exactly what to look for if you do want to upgrade individual components.

One thing you may want to look into immediately is a good quality drum throne. You're never going to want to practice for any length of time if your rear end is numb after 10 minutes.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

After doing some more research, I really like the Ludwig Breakbeats by Questlove Drum Kit. Space is definitely a concern and having a compact kit like this would be perfect. Listening to a couple demos, I really like the sound and obviously it fits really well with my style of music. Looks like they go for about $400 brand new, without cymbals or hardware so that would probably push me over my budget. But maybe I can find one used for cheaper. Anyone have experience with this kit?

MrSargent fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 25, 2019

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Seems relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVjg8ataJqs

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Pearl has some neat stuff right now at NAMM. Pretty nice looking redesign for the ICON racks and yet another electronic kit. The foot triggers look VERY interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV96ZmnoHY

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Bonzo posted:

Pearl has some neat stuff right now at NAMM. Pretty nice looking redesign for the ICON racks and yet another electronic kit. The foot triggers look VERY interesting to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV96ZmnoHY

"redesign for the ICON racks" is probably a generous description, it seems they're just releasing a few new clamps along with a ton of "35th Anniversary" marketing material.

I briefly panicked at this post since my Icon rack is the one component I kept when I got rid of my acoustic drums in college, for the glorious day when I bought another real drum set. I was afraid they were creating a brand new rack system and my old parts wouldn't work any more.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
what do youse guys think of the alesis nitro or surge mesh kits? the command is a bit out of my budget. this will be my first kit.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

FBS posted:

"redesign for the ICON racks" is probably a generous description, it seems they're just releasing a few new clamps along with a ton of "35th Anniversary" marketing material.

I briefly panicked at this post since my Icon rack is the one component I kept when I got rid of my acoustic drums in college, for the glorious day when I bought another real drum set. I was afraid they were creating a brand new rack system and my old parts wouldn't work any more.

Here's one example of what the new ones look like.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJjKhbFKJw/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

what do youse guys think of the alesis nitro or surge mesh kits? the command is a bit out of my budget. this will be my first kit.

i haven't used either of those, but from what i can tell it seems like the nitro is a slightly smaller version of the dm line?

i have a dm7x that i love, but it's not perfect by any means. the canned sounds aren't great, but i run midi into superior drummer so that's never been an issue for me. also, the pads are the hard rubber kind, which are okay but play more like a rock band drum kit than a real acoustic kit (which i don't mind too much but completely breaks some of my friends brains when they try to play it). also, after about two years i started having problems with the piezos coming apart inside the kick and the cymbals, but it was a 30 second fix with a soldering iron once i figured it out so not a huge deal.

i don't own any mesh heads, but i tried an alesis kit with them at a store a few years back and liked them. i assume the same pros/cons of the dm7x/nitro apply to the surge except for that aspect, where i'm guessing it's better as long as they didn't cheap out on them.

i definitely feel like i've gotten my money's worth out of the alesis kit i have and these seem priced accordingly for the differences, but i also don't use my kit to play gigs, so ymmv depending on your needs. i also am not primarily a drummer, so someone with actual skills will probably have a more solid opinion :v:

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm going to finally bite the bullet and get an e-kit. I have a few problems from playing store demos though. One, I don't love the action of the mesh heads at all and feel like I'd have quite a bit of trouble adjusting. Rubber heads may be louder but they almost feel better to me everywhere outside the snare. Two, the kits feel ridiculously small to me and I'm not even that tall. This is probably the product of being a lovely, beat the gently caress out of everything with poor technique self taught drummer.

Are the Yamaha kits a good value? I've heard a lot of positive feedback and they seem to be in my price range, plus their rubber heads seem a bit bigger than the Roland. Alternatively I guess I could just buy a rack and buy things piece by piece, with bigger toms that I want, then I could even mix and match drums/cymbals and brains?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Store demo kits are always set up super compact, and since the pads are so small that means it feels tiny compared to an acoustic set. I'm 6'2" and I had no problem setting up my Yamaha to match the ergonomics of my old acoustic kit.

Not much you can do about the size of the pads themselves but most people use a relatively small part of the playing surface on full size heads anyway.

e: I've had my DTK-520k for about eight years, everything has held up well to moderate use except the kick pad which still works fine but feels a bit worn out.

FBS fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 4, 2019

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hey drum goons. Considering getting my daughter her first kit for her 4th birthday. Does something like this one seem reasonable? The cymbals will undoubtedly be trash but the setup is at least proper instead of one of those wierdo kid kits.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I'm working on playing/counting polyrhythms and it's freaking hard. There are a few I can get, 3-2, 3-4, 5-4, 7-4, decent enough if I'm tapping on my legs, but as soon as I try to play against something else, it falls apart. For example, if I play 5 with my right hand against 4 in my left, I can keep it pretty steady if I'm thinking about playing in 5 (1...2E..3.+.4..A5...), but if I have a metronome going, thinking of it as 5, and try to play 4tuplets against it, I can hardly hear it, and if I treat the click like 4 and try to play quintuplets, forget it. I didn't get into trying this thinking it would be easy, I know it's going to take time and tons of practice, but can anyone suggest any exercises or strategies that help to hear this type of stuff?

I'm not a drummer btw, but it seems like this would be the thread to ask. I've gotten very into Dawn of Midi lately, and I want to start being able to incorporate that type of writing/playing into my own, even if it's not as extreme as what they do.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CgR2Y6XO4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbC6engz0zY

Make sure to go down these guys' rabbit holes too.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Thanks, yeah I've watched those and they're a general help, but I don't think I'm misunderstanding it, I'm still just not feeling it. Like doing that 7/11 poly, I would have an easier time doing that together with different hands than playing one count against a metronome doing the other.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Drum/midi/recording question from the perspective of a bad guitarist - sorry, it's a bit wordy.

My wife got me a guitar for Christmas. I played for about 15 years but had to sell all of my stuff for rent money about 10 years ago and hadn't played til recently. Anyways, I ended up liking it a lot again and picked up a Helix and have been getting really into recording. I also picked up a cheap bass, a mic, Reaper, EZMix, a Midi Keyboard/DAW controller, and Superior Drummer 3 so I can make complete songs. They're poo poo right now, but that's not the point. The question is more in line with drums.

I'm not much of a drummer, and normally I'm just using various toontrack midi grooves and mucking with them a bit, but sometimes I have a pretty good idea of what groove I want at certain spots in the song that doesn't really match anything I have in SD3. I've tried using the midi editor in Superior Drummer 3 as well as the little fingerdrum pads on my Panorama P6 (or the keyboard itself) to get those out, but I'm struggling a bit with that and don't really enjoy it.

I've been considering picking up a (relatively) inexpensive electronic drum kit - maybe an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit for about $320 or something - and using that for those parts, plus if I ever decide I want to actually learn drums more than just super basic stuff. If my timing is off a bit, I can fix it easy enough in the midi editor, I figure - I'll at least have the core of what I want in there. Or maybe a friend who can play drums can play it for me, I don't know.

Then again, that's a fair bit of money and floorspace for something I can probably just suck it up and get better with the little rubber pads on the Panorama. Should I probably just focus on that since it saves a bunch of money and potential hassle? In a way that seems like the obvious answer but I guess I've always secretly wanted to learn to play the drums, so maybe I'm letting that creep in. I don't know.

To actually turn this into a question rather than some sort of dumb E/N :words: mess, does anyone have any recommendations here? If an inexpensive electronic drum set would be recommended, does the Alesis Nitro seem a decent kit for the price, or would something else be recommended? If I should stop being ridiculous and just play my dumb little riffs where I want them on the drum pads on the Panorama, anyone have any recommendations how to wrap my head around that? I can't seem to get the hang of finger drumming and even at best, my velocity is all over the place. Easy to fix that, I suppose.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

Drum/midi/recording question from the perspective of a bad guitarist - sorry, it's a bit wordy.

My wife got me a guitar for Christmas. I played for about 15 years but had to sell all of my stuff for rent money about 10 years ago and hadn't played til recently. Anyways, I ended up liking it a lot again and picked up a Helix and have been getting really into recording. I also picked up a cheap bass, a mic, Reaper, EZMix, a Midi Keyboard/DAW controller, and Superior Drummer 3 so I can make complete songs. They're poo poo right now, but that's not the point. The question is more in line with drums.

I'm not much of a drummer, and normally I'm just using various toontrack midi grooves and mucking with them a bit, but sometimes I have a pretty good idea of what groove I want at certain spots in the song that doesn't really match anything I have in SD3. I've tried using the midi editor in Superior Drummer 3 as well as the little fingerdrum pads on my Panorama P6 (or the keyboard itself) to get those out, but I'm struggling a bit with that and don't really enjoy it.

I've been considering picking up a (relatively) inexpensive electronic drum kit - maybe an Alesis Nitro Mesh kit for about $320 or something - and using that for those parts, plus if I ever decide I want to actually learn drums more than just super basic stuff. If my timing is off a bit, I can fix it easy enough in the midi editor, I figure - I'll at least have the core of what I want in there. Or maybe a friend who can play drums can play it for me, I don't know.

Then again, that's a fair bit of money and floorspace for something I can probably just suck it up and get better with the little rubber pads on the Panorama. Should I probably just focus on that since it saves a bunch of money and potential hassle? In a way that seems like the obvious answer but I guess I've always secretly wanted to learn to play the drums, so maybe I'm letting that creep in. I don't know.

To actually turn this into a question rather than some sort of dumb E/N :words: mess, does anyone have any recommendations here? If an inexpensive electronic drum set would be recommended, does the Alesis Nitro seem a decent kit for the price, or would something else be recommended? If I should stop being ridiculous and just play my dumb little riffs where I want them on the drum pads on the Panorama, anyone have any recommendations how to wrap my head around that? I can't seem to get the hang of finger drumming and even at best, my velocity is all over the place. Easy to fix that, I suppose.

The experienced drummers (like me) will tell you that the cheap drum kits don't feel right and how bad rubber pads are which is true. Much like if I said I just want a cheap rear end Peavy Strat (lol I have one!) so I can gently caress around on guitar, you'd probably tell me how much I may hate the way it plays (action is too high, pickups are poo poo, strings buzz).

But since you have a budget and just want to gently caress around I don't see the harm. Other than the pads the cheap kits usually sound lovely but since you're going to MIDI out that helps you a bit. Don't expect high performance out of the pads though if you are worried about ghost notes or getting different sounds from different postilions on the head.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

The experienced drummers (like me) will tell you that the cheap drum kits don't feel right and how bad rubber pads are which is true. Much like if I said I just want a cheap rear end Peavy Strat (lol I have one!) so I can gently caress around on guitar, you'd probably tell me how much I may hate the way it plays (action is too high, pickups are poo poo, strings buzz).

But since you have a budget and just want to gently caress around I don't see the harm. Other than the pads the cheap kits usually sound lovely but since you're going to MIDI out that helps you a bit. Don't expect high performance out of the pads though if you are worried about ghost notes or getting different sounds from different postilions on the head.

Thanks! I get your cheap guitar analogy, but at the same time, what I might tell someone looking at a $130 Peavey Strat is that if they were willing to save a short bit and move up to a $200-$300 Ibanez RG, maybe an RG421, they'd get a markedly better guitar for not a huge amount more money and probably be way happier for even just loving around. Of course that's not zero money, but I'd still mention it. Along those lines, is there a set that's maybe not super expensive that would be significantly better? I still don't know if I want to do this, of course.

You're also right that I don't care what it sounds like since I just need the MIDI for SD3. Edit: Actually, I suppose I should ask to make sure they all can hook up via USB or whatever to do that - I'm guessing anything above a child's toy should be able to, but I suppose it's worth making sure.

ssb fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 11, 2019

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Bonzo posted:

Even as an inexperienced drummer, I can tell you that my Alesis Nitro doesn't feel quite right and never really has, but it's close enough to be worth loving around with especially if you have any interest in drumming

It has definitely been worth it for me just to get over the hump of "well I don't know how much I'll be into this so I can't justify sinking several grand into a nice kit, but for $300 sure I'll give it a shot" and now I'm definitely looking to upgrade at some point or buy a real acoustic kit and take lessons

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

It's March and tax time which means people usually figure out the instrument they got for Xmas is hard so they want to sell it. I'm sure you can find something on your local Craigslist

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Bonzo posted:

It's March and tax time which means people usually figure out the instrument they got for Xmas is hard so they want to sell it. I'm sure you can find something on your local Craigslist

I checked that already. Nothing within 100 miles that I'm interested in, just an overpriced Roland unit that looks like he listed it to get his wife to shut up but has no intention of actually selling it, based on my read of how he wrote it plus the price.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ricecult posted:

Thanks, yeah I've watched those and they're a general help, but I don't think I'm misunderstanding it, I'm still just not feeling it. Like doing that 7/11 poly, I would have an easier time doing that together with different hands than playing one count against a metronome doing the other.
My experience has been that I can only count one beat and I have to feel the other. I personally count the pulse and just memorize where the finger snap of the counterpulse falls. This is fairly easy to do if you write the thing down like Adam shows, and then count aloud while snapping your fingers on one hand only. Start with the metronome clicking on every count to get yourself used to the rhythm. Then it's just a matter of turning the metronome down so it only clicks on "one" while you're still muttering "one-two-three", or whatever your chosen pulse is. This is the hard part because subdividing the click so that it falls on "one" regularly is a pain in the rear end.

So 4:3 for me is "one two three one two three one two three one two three". Does this help at all?

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

As an experienced drummer, get whatever's in your budget (but always buy used). It doesn't matter if it sounds good or if it doesn't feel like an acoustic drum set (spoiler: an electric will never feel like an acoustic), as long as it's physically in your space demanding your attention to play it. Upgrade later, after you personally start noticing shortcomings in what you need it to do.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ricecult posted:

I'm like you in that the relationship between two hands serves as a convenient anchor for me, helping me to figure out where to place each note in relation to the other one. But when it's just you, a sevenlet, and one beat of music, there's no other way to tackle it except to kind of already know how that feels. Here are some tips:

- Approximation to other subdivisions. 7 is one less than 8, so a sevenlet in two beats should feel just a smidge slower than playing sixteenth notes.
- Even vs. Odd. Remember that you're going to alternate hands so if you start with RH, you should end on LH. Aim for that, maybe even accent them to help anchor things
- Practice it a ton and really focus on the feel. I remember back in college playing fivelets on a loop with a metronome for like 30 minutes straight, and to this day if I ever need to play a fivelet, my latent muscle memory kicks in and I'm pretty decent at knowing what speed my hands need to move to squeak out 5 evenly spaced notes.
- Remember that this should only be an issue when dealing with prime numbers: 5-lets, 7-lets, 11-lets, 13-lets, etc. Anything divisible by another number should of course be subdivided to the best of your ability
- Try filling notes in until they ARE divisible by another number. You probably already know that a 9let is just three sets of triplets inside a bigger triplet. But if you're playing an eighth note based fivelet and you add just one evenly spaced 16th note inbetween the 2nd and 3rd notes, you now have a note which falls neatly on the '+' of the beat which can also be used to help space timing. You could diddle it or single it, but just keep in mind that if you single stroke it your hands will no longer alternate (which may actually be helpful for practice)

Hopefully that helps! I feel like I could probably keep talking about this (love poo poo like this) so let me know if you need clarification or want some more incoherent ramblings from my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

timp posted:

I'm like you in that the relationship between two hands serves as a convenient anchor for me, helping me to figure out where to place each note in relation to the other one. But when it's just you, a sevenlet, and one beat of music, there's no other way to tackle it except to kind of already know how that feels. Here are some tips:

- Approximation to other subdivisions. 7 is one less than 8, so a sevenlet in two beats should feel just a smidge slower than playing sixteenth notes.
- Even vs. Odd. Remember that you're going to alternate hands so if you start with RH, you should end on LH. Aim for that, maybe even accent them to help anchor things
- Practice it a ton and really focus on the feel. I remember back in college playing fivelets on a loop with a metronome for like 30 minutes straight, and to this day if I ever need to play a fivelet, my latent muscle memory kicks in and I'm pretty decent at knowing what speed my hands need to move to squeak out 5 evenly spaced notes.
- Remember that this should only be an issue when dealing with prime numbers: 5-lets, 7-lets, 11-lets, 13-lets, etc. Anything divisible by another number should of course be subdivided to the best of your ability
- Try filling notes in until they ARE divisible by another number. You probably already know that a 9let is just three sets of triplets inside a bigger triplet. But if you're playing an eighth note based fivelet and you add just one evenly spaced 16th note inbetween the 2nd and 3rd notes, you now have a note which falls neatly on the '+' of the beat which can also be used to help space timing. You could diddle it or single it, but just keep in mind that if you single stroke it your hands will no longer alternate (which may actually be helpful for practice)

Hopefully that helps! I feel like I could probably keep talking about this (love poo poo like this) so let me know if you need clarification or want some more incoherent ramblings from my brain

Thanks everyone who's given more advice, this post is what I've been looking for! I've been working on it very heavily for just a few days and I'm getting there, but I'm going to keep these pointers in mind because this all makes sense to me as particular strategies.