Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

alphabettitouretti posted:

We live on an island with too many people and developers are unscrupulous, grasping and face no consequences for packing people in like sardines so yeah we don't have much room for things like stocking up months of food.

Vice has a series about terrible London flats that'll give you an idea of what some people have to contend with: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/topic/london-rental-opportunity-of-the-week

1.5% of land in England is housing. 3% is golf courses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

got to make sure you got your loo rolls

Astrochicken has issued a correction as of 03:57 on Feb 22, 2019

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Frog Act posted:

so if the go to plan for no deal is just “let everything in to avoid shortages which would lose us our seats” does that mean it will be way easier to get drugs in post Brexit Britain? after watching that show Top Boy I read a few metropolitan police PDFs about drug smuggling since I was wondering how you get a bunch of coke into an island and it turns out there’s a lot of it and it comes in shipping containers and trucks through the channel tunnel which aren’t gonna be searched anymore?

I guess if the pound crashes it’ll be more expensive though so double edged sword there. hope you have your brexit laudanum stash ready or whatever

We'll be flooded with cheap, nasty and dangerous poo poo because customs will just be a joke so they move from highly concentrated stuff which is easy to hide to whatever they've got left over after processing, bulked up to make weight.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Phi230 posted:

When the pound crashes you know I'm buying a ton of miniatures and terrain

GW Donesn't and never has based it's non-UK prices on the exchange rate.... ask anyone who lives in Aus or NZ

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'll say this: Brexit has made my London banker counterparts a lot less smug

""Hello ehm this is Jeremy from Luuunnnduunn ehm I wanted to take a look at your diary as ehhm that time doesn't work for Luuuunnduunn."

Now: "ehm this is Jeremy ehm yes we will be able to make the midnight our time call."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1098537821240000512

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

namesake posted:

We'll be flooded with cheap, nasty and dangerous poo poo because customs will just be a joke so they move from highly concentrated stuff which is easy to hide to whatever they've got left over after processing, bulked up to make weight.

They're obviously going to smuggle stuff in the last place the British would expect.

French yorkshire puddings.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

The idea of using a freezer as a giant cooler box when power goes out seems to be above yinlocks brain capacity

i'm glad your like 4 beers were safe

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ everyone who revealed themselves to be giving GW money

I speak of good companies like Perry or Warlord

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Phi230 posted:

Lol @ everyone who revealed themselves to be giving GW money

I speak of good companies like Perry or Warlord

Have you heard the good word of Mantic my friend?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I haven't been keeping up with this thread diligently for the past 2 years, but now that we're approaching the deadline can someone just tell me what's gonna happen?

It's going to be a no deal/hard Brexit right?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Hopefully a deal will get done but either no-deal or kicking the can down the road for a few more months look to be the most likely options yes.

As to what happens then gently caress Only Knows, we're entering unknown waters and they'll probably be choppy.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How is a deal going to get done? Hasn't parliament already shot down two deals May brought to them? And what would be Europe's motivation for kicking the can down the road instead of making the UK sleep in the bed it's made for itself?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Rozzbot posted:

London is a city built on top of a thousand years of compacted sewage, the farts will be a relief

those fatbergs in the London sewers are free calories just waiting to be mined and served up hot in the Mayconomic future :chef: :britain: :classiclol:

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
They are saying there might be another vote next week on what is more or less the same deal that got brutally downvoted, but that it should pass this time for some magical reason

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

twoday posted:

They are saying there might be another vote next week on what is more or less the same deal that got brutally downvoted, but that it should pass this time for some magical reason

May is using the threat of no deal to get it passed rather than meeting MPs to try and work out a deal that could get passrd

twoday
May 4, 2005

How is that any different from last time?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bawfuls posted:

How is a deal going to get done? Hasn't parliament already shot down two deals May brought to them? And what would be Europe's motivation for kicking the can down the road instead of making the UK sleep in the bed it's made for itself?

It was just the one deal. But yes we are going to no deal since there isn’t a parliamentary majority for revoking article 50, or for a second referendum, or for Mays deal, or for delaying article 50, or for a soft Brexit.

No deal doesn’t require any majority, just requires we do nothing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

thats why she postponed it from before christmas and basically just that we're even closer to the deadline

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

i've been practicing with my katana in prep for a no deal brexpocalypse

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jose posted:

thats why she postponed it from before christmas and basically just that we're even closer to the deadline

yeah and this is what is causing all the businesses to leave.

last year it was clear businesses needed to know by the end of 2018.

may could have got a deal approved last year if she had sought a cross party consensus - as is clear corbyn is not anti-brexit, he would have whipped to support the right deal.

instead may has played chicken which is loving the UK

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i don't have a stockpile but now i do have a handy list of dumb motherfuckers who do, so that's a comfort

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

marktheando posted:

It was just the one deal. But yes we are going to no deal since there isn’t a parliamentary majority for revoking article 50, or for a second referendum, or for Mays deal, or for delaying article 50, or for a soft Brexit.

No deal doesn’t require any majority, just requires we do nothing.

I think there's probably a parliamentary majority for delaying article 50 and the EU aren't about to try and stop us doing that either.

In terms of getting democratic legitimacy for a second ref delaying leaving until after the EU elections is potentially a good strategy. If the public turn out in higher numbers to vote than last time, and the vote for every other party combined is higher than the vote for whatever the Bannon-united brexity party is, that could be pointed to as quite solid grounds for another referendum.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this thread diligently for the past 2 years, but now that we're approaching the deadline can someone just tell me what's gonna happen?

It's going to be a no deal/hard Brexit right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxQCKz91qEs

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

I think there's probably a parliamentary majority for delaying article 50 and the EU aren't about to try and stop us doing that either.

In terms of getting democratic legitimacy for a second ref delaying leaving until after the EU elections is potentially a good strategy. If the public turn out in higher numbers to vote than last time, and the vote for every other party combined is higher than the vote for whatever the Bannon-united brexity party is, that could be pointed to as quite solid grounds for another referendum.

I think the EU stance on that is they'll allow it if there's reason to believe the delay will lead to an eventual resolution, ie if there was a new government in place

but just kicking the can down the road won't do jack poo poo so....

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCBusiness/status/1098638397973950465?s=19

https://twitter.com/TomBoadle/status/1097486689608585217?s=19

https://twitter.com/Matt_Alt/status/1097065583873482753?s=19

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

No way the EU will let the UK gently caress up their elections, and creating a special waiver to stay but not participate in elections requires approval by all EU parliaments.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Apparently it's possible to get round that by having the UK just appoint their MEPs.

Can't remember where I read that though, so I could be talking out my arse

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I love this :allears:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lol the UK has concluded deals with 7 out of the 69 (and well less than what Fox said) and they are

Faroe Islands, Chile, Switzerland, Eastern and Southern Africa (?) , Israel and Palestinian Authorities.

Lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tarbrush posted:

Apparently it's possible to get round that by having the UK just appoint their MEPs.

Can't remember where I read that though, so I could be talking out my arse

There are ways to make it happen but they are all a pain in the rear end, UK seats have already been divided now they need to be undivided and MEPs want to campaign, not play 4d chess. Basically as he put it:

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1085458645280788482

There is importing UK mess and the question is what's there to gain from it? What will the extension accomplish? May is clearly set on running down the clock whats to stop her from doing the same for a few more months.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

:eyepop: looking forward to my 2020 British vacation

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

See this why people justifiably hate the EU top brass. As though every single issue of 'European' politics isn't demonstrably also an issue of the EU. As Sadiq Khan said at Davos a few years ago, are there many governments in Europe that would feel comfortable calling an EU referendum of their own? Peace is not the same thing as quiet and antagonism is not the same thing as mess, anyone that still supports Macron is a textbook example of that misunderstanding and the entire EU leadership is guilty of that.

tarbrush posted:

Sekenr posted:

No way the EU will let the UK gently caress up their elections, and creating a special waiver to stay but not participate in elections requires approval by all EU parliaments.

The EU has already earmarked 800k non-negotiable spending for the UK during the 2019 EU election period. The 2014 UK EU election spending was almost a million quid on the dot so clearly that money has been earmarked on the assumption of the UK engaging in the 2019 EU elections, there's no stated suggestion of what else that money could possibly be being ringfenced for. The EU is materially preparing for the UK to take part in the the EU elections and I don't think that's an inconsistent stance for them to take, knobheads named Verhofstadt notwithstanding.

Vitamin P has issued a correction as of 23:24 on Feb 21, 2019

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Vitamin P posted:

See this why people justifiably hate the EU top brass. As though every single issue of 'European' politics isn't demonstrably also an issue of the EU. As Sadiq Khan said at Davos a few years ago, are there many governments in Europe that would feel comfortable calling an EU referendum of their own? Peace is not the same thing as quiet and antagonism is not the same thing as mess, anyone that still supports Macron is a textbook example of that misunderstanding and the entire EU leadership is guilty of that.

The EU has already earmarked 800k non-negotiable spending for the UK during the 2019 EU election period. The 2014 UK EU election spending was almost a million quid on the dot so clearly that money has been earmarked on the assumption of the UK engaging in the 2019 EU elections, there's no stated suggestion of what else that money could possibly be being ringfenced for. The EU is materially preparing for the UK to take part in the the EU elections and I don't think that's an inconsistent stance for them to take, knobheads named Verhofstadt notwithstanding.

lol everyone's looked at brexit and said gently caress that.

including mariene la pen

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

:eyepop: looking forward to my 2020 British vacation

lol bring a gun

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bip Roberts posted:

lol bring a gun

bring a couple extra for your friends near the Irish border, the vacation can be self-funding

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

JFairfax posted:

]
including mariene la pen

has there been a development? i find fash very tedious and dont follow them but has le pen said brexit is actually bad?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-a7749236.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

That's a 2017 article.