Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

I wouldn't point to Stalinist Russia as the best way to defeat Nazis unless you are a big fan of throwing people into the front lines until you where the enemy down.

It loving worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Badly.

Edit: if you're really talking tactics the US Air Corp realized that bombing refineries was a good way to stop a mechanized army in it's tracks.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 21, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This is an exceedingly stupid derail.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Darth Brooks posted:

Badly.

Edit: if you're really talking tactics the US Air Corp realized that bombing refineries was a good way to stop a mechanized army in it's tracks.

I wouldn’t point to US tactics as any better if you want to go the moral route.

Especially the loving Air Force.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/ourfoundingliar/status/1098661277524770818

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
Probably not the best idea after all...

Principal Hellmann fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 22, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am absolutely not wasting my time on that but please do share the egregiously funny-bad pages

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I know it's a random nobody, but the subtweet is just too funny

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1098711637433946113

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

'want to be even have anything to do with you all.' Oh, it's always fun to play Mad Libs with CG. They often seem to get so wound up they forget their words.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Anybody who didn't click through to see the full image missed out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You probably shouldn't be posting full comics, even ones by horrible assholes.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Don't worry, this guy dug through this pile of poo poo to find the golden nuggets of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/Jafleece/status/1098718854019207169

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Reading the dude going through Lone Star makes me think of a while back some CG chud somewhere proudly declaring that while yes you MAY pay high prices for ComicsGate comics you're also getting premium collector-grade art. And then I look at Lone Star and Iron Sights and Cyberblood Honeyfrog.

Premium collector-grade.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I still can’t believe loving Cyberfrog is a flagship title for those idiots.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"

hup posted:

I still can’t believe loving Cyberfrog is a flagship title for those idiots.

you mean you AREN'T interested in the 106th best TMNT Ripoff??????????????

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Looking through the THANKS FOR SUPPORTING LONESTAR donor page at the back, sure is a very long list (with a bunch of side-by-side repeats) of dudes! I counted and out of 1123 names in the Thank You Supporters section, there were... 36 traditional female names in there if we include Lola Lovelace and Godiva Mahoney, and also count "Mitch and Betty Breitweiser" (the only two person line) as a female contributor.

The vast majority of these supporters don't appear to have any social media (Comicsgate or otherwise) under the names given to IndieGoGo, so we may never know if the Freddies or Kelseys or Rileys on the list are dudes or not, much less IRRADIATED REDNECK or ALBINO THUNDERBUNS or SINISTA SMIRK or OATHKEEPER 3P.

Even if we are very generous in our assumptions, there is no way the number of people thanked approaches 10% female.

But this is a movement for everyone, you guys

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Looking through the THANKS FOR SUPPORTING LONESTAR donor page at the back, sure is a very long list (with a bunch of side-by-side repeats) of dudes! I counted and out of 1123 names in the Thank You Supporters section, there were... 36 traditional female names in there if we include Lola Lovelace and Godiva Mahoney, and also count "Mitch and Betty Breitweiser" (the only two person line) as a female contributor.

The vast majority of these supporters don't appear to have any social media (Comicsgate or otherwise) under the names given to IndieGoGo, so we may never know if the Freddies or Kelseys or Rileys on the list are dudes or not, much less IRRADIATED REDNECK or ALBINO THUNDERBUNS or SINISTA SMIRK or OATHKEEPER 3P.

Even if we are very generous in our assumptions, there is no way the number of people thanked approaches 10% female.

There’s also no way whatsoever that those are all individual people, I would bet money a good number of them are people donating multiple times under different names

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

ComicsGate has no NEED to trumpet how inclusive and diverse they are! It should be obvious at the most casual glance! I mean, just look at Mike Miller's comic!* He's got one of EVERYTHING in his hero team. (Except women.) You can't get more inclusive!

*Do not.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

Reading the dude going through Lone Star makes me think of a while back some CG chud somewhere proudly declaring that while yes you MAY pay high prices for ComicsGate comics you're also getting premium collector-grade art. And then I look at Lone Star and Iron Sights and Cyberblood Honeyfrog.

Premium collector-grade.

The closest thing to 'premium collector-grade art' is that Wieringo cover breakdown before it got ruined with the Lone Star stuff slapped on top of it. and you know, using it without the permission of his family and estate.

I'm sure there's a metaphor in there somewhere.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, my. The CG subreddit.

I wonder what constitutes 'concern trolling' for ComicsGate.

I admit I might not want to know this but what is the Batgirl variant cover controversy?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bessantj posted:

I admit I might not want to know this but what is the Batgirl variant cover controversy?

DC solicited this as a variant for an issue:

The theme is incredibly in bad taste and people were not happy about it because of that. The artist himself wished for it to be unlisted as well. DC did just that and it upset a bunch of mega chuds who refused to see why it's problematic.

Here's a quick article on it.
http://time.com/3755285/batgirl-joker-cover-controversy-feminism/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

^^^ much better explanation than mine and ugh, that’s so much worse than I remembered!

bessantj posted:

From memory (so apologies if I gently caress up a detail) this refers to a Batgirl cover from a few years ago that featured Joker threatening her in a chokehold or something similar. We get plenty of covers like this in comics, but there was a strong negative reaction to this one, especially due to her terrified, weeping expression. Given the history of the characters the cover felt like it was selling the story on fallout from The Killing Joke and reveling in that. The pushback was enough for DC to change the cover, and of course chuds screeched censorship.

I don’t remember what the changes were. I do think you could have done the exact same pose but changed Batgirl’s expression to be angry and annoyed - something that communicates she’s over Joker’s poo poo, unafraid of him, and the next 28 pages are her kicking his rear end in classic bat-fashion the average person would expect from a bat-book. I think someone even photoshopped the cancelled cover to that effect to demonstrate how the change in expression communicates a very different story.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Also at the time the book was super bouncy happy and twee obviously directed towards a younger audience so a cover of the main character in horrifying weeping despair wasn't exactly fitting the tone

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

A few things not really brought up in that article:

1) There were 25 "Joker Month" variant covers they solicited, and of those only a handful show the Joker with the upper hand. For some reason Barry Allen and Aquaman aren't crying when it looks like the Joker might beat them.

2) The creative team on Batgirl at the time wasn't part of the "slap a variant cover on the book" editorial process, which is apparently standard procedure but it is kind of amazing that it's still the standard after Manara Spider-Woman and this and a few other lesser "variant cover in poor taste" controversies that this is still the case.

3) The cover was pulled, at the artist Rafael Albuquerque's request. He felt the need to issue a statement on the matter because DC's initial statement made it sound like they were bowing to violence:

quote:

Regardless if fans like Rafael Albuquerque's homage to Alan Moore's THE KILLING JOKE graphic novel from 25 years ago, or find it inconsistent with the current tonality of the Batgirl books - threats of violence and harassment are wrong and have no place in comics or society.

We stand by our creative talent, and per Rafael's request, DC Comics will not publish the Batgirl variant. - DC Entertainment

Albuquerque (and the creative team on Batgirl at the time) clarified that there were threats of harassment and violence, but it was from people upset that the SJW cucks in fandom (and in the DC freelance pool and editorial offices) would dare to not publish the Batgirl cover, not from anyone wanting the Batgirl cover pulled.

It was an early test case for the kind of poo poo Comicsgate does today.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So wait... the fact that they pulled the cover is good, but that Time article says it's bad.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

IronSaber posted:

So wait... the fact that they pulled the cover is good, but that Time article says it's bad.

The writer on the Times article is credited as a "contributing editor at Reason magazine." and one of their other articles is defending a rape scene in game of thrones.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

RevKrule posted:

DC solicited this as a variant for an issue:

The theme is incredibly in bad taste and people were not happy about it because of that. The artist himself wished for it to be unlisted as well. DC did just that and it upset a bunch of mega chuds who refused to see why it's problematic.

Here's a quick article on it.
http://time.com/3755285/batgirl-joker-cover-controversy-feminism/

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

^^^ much better explanation than mine and ugh, that’s so much worse than I remembered!

From memory (so apologies if I gently caress up a detail) this refers to a Batgirl cover from a few years ago that featured Joker threatening her in a chokehold or something similar. We get plenty of covers like this in comics, but there was a strong negative reaction to this one, especially due to her terrified, weeping expression. Given the history of the characters the cover felt like it was selling the story on fallout from The Killing Joke and reveling in that. The pushback was enough for DC to change the cover, and of course chuds screeched censorship.

I don’t remember what the changes were. I do think you could have done the exact same pose but changed Batgirl’s expression to be angry and annoyed - something that communicates she’s over Joker’s poo poo, unafraid of him, and the next 28 pages are her kicking his rear end in classic bat-fashion the average person would expect from a bat-book. I think someone even photoshopped the cancelled cover to that effect to demonstrate how the change in expression communicates a very different story.

Thanks, I think I remember something about it now, but I'd forgotten most of the details. That is some cover :holymoley:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

The writer on the Times article is credited as a "contributing editor at Reason magazine." and one of their other articles is defending a rape scene in game of thrones.

Huh. Guess I need to dump Time as a news source.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

IronSaber posted:

Huh. Guess I need to dump Time as a news source.
Time as a news source is fine enough (I'm not saying it's sterling but it's not trash), but that article was in the IDEAS section, which while not quite as scattershot open-field as Forbes or whatever, it still a modern op-ed section of a news organ that seems to value "diversity of ideas" and "firehose of content" over any sort of responsible curation.

Other articles by the author of that Batgirl piece include:
-- A pitch for Ayn Rand on the $10 bill as a sign of true feminism
-- "Online Harassment Affects Men Too"
-- "Female Breadwinners Can't Have It Both Ways"
--"The CDC's Rape Numbers are Misleading"
--"Until feminism recognizes discrimination against men, the movement will be incomplete"

Her most recent article (she hasn't written for them since 2015) was about how Carly Fiorina is going to knock Donald Trump out of the GOP primary, and Fiorina is awesome and should be the nominee, but also it's some weird reverse-sexism feminist trap that lets her stop Trump.

A quick glance at the more recent Time "Ideas" stuff seems way more innocuous.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

For some reason Barry Allen and Aquaman aren't crying when it looks like the Joker might beat them.

This is the most important part of it to me that makes the chuds that got upset seem stupid. Tying up a superhero isn’t a bad thing, but when just the one woman has to be crying and looking terrified even though she’s been tied up by super villains hundreds of times over a century it seems like an agenda.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Edge & Christian posted:

Other articles by the author of that Batgirl piece include:
-- A pitch for Ayn Rand on the $10 bill as a sign of true feminism

...aaaaaaaand here's someone who skimmed the Cliff Notes for Atlas Shrugged.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I have a feeling this will be a future topic in this thread.

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1098991178941374473

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

X-O posted:

I have a feeling this will be a future topic in this thread.

https://twitter.com/bleedingcool/status/1098991178941374473

I'm having a really hard time looking directly at this. My eyes just kind of slide off of it. I think it might be a defense mechanism.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Wanderer posted:

I'm having a really hard time looking directly at this. My eyes just kind of slide off of it. I think it might be a defense mechanism.

Same. I think the tiny text and the indecipherable poses are just causing my brain to shut down.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Even as someone who still thinks large parts of Cerebus (and the dead-on-the-vine Strange Death of Alex Raymond art-history comic) are impressive and often genuinely enjoyable* works, this whole Cerebus in Hell run of books are just unreadable, baffling nonsense.

I know Sim was having wrist problems, combined with his studio burning down, and he just straight up couldn't draw anything for a few years and the entire concept of this run of comics is cutting and pasting old Cerebus figures on top of Gustv Dore engravings and other public doman artwork about Hell but then also doing a bunch of goofy superhero pop culture jokes and using it to critique Marxist-Feminist-zzzzzzz I literally do not know anyone who has made it through an issue of this. I have no idea who this is being made for.

* I haven't read any of it since Glamourpuss wrapped up 5+ years ago and even then I had to skip any of the 'humor' pieces and skip straight to the Art History stuff, and given some of the stuff said/revealed since 2013 I may well not be able to enjoy the pre-Tangent stuff in good conscience without seeing echoes of all of the poo poo to come.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Even as someone who still thinks large parts of Cerebus (and the dead-on-the-vine Strange Death of Alex Raymond art-history comic) are impressive and often genuinely enjoyable* works, this whole Cerebus in Hell run of books are just unreadable, baffling nonsense.

I know Sim was having wrist problems, combined with his studio burning down, and he just straight up couldn't draw anything for a few years and the entire concept of this run of comics is cutting and pasting old Cerebus figures on top of Gustv Dore engravings and other public doman artwork about Hell but then also doing a bunch of goofy superhero pop culture jokes and using it to critique Marxist-Feminist-zzzzzzz I literally do not know anyone who has made it through an issue of this. I have no idea who this is being made for.

* I haven't read any of it since Glamourpuss wrapped up 5+ years ago and even then I had to skip any of the 'humor' pieces and skip straight to the Art History stuff, and given some of the stuff said/revealed since 2013 I may well not be able to enjoy the pre-Tangent stuff in good conscience without seeing echoes of all of the poo poo to come.

I... thought he was stopping at 300. Like, that was his goal, to do the entire run, then stop and leave the story finished.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ryonguy posted:

I... thought he was stopping at 300. Like, that was his goal, to do the entire run, then stop and leave the story finished.

He did

This is a totally not a sequel

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It really isn't, it's a series of gag strips that I am pretty sure he did to try to get money for medical care?

Corny-rear end dad joke gag strips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is starting to turn into a real phenomenon for CG.

https://twitter.com/EthanVanSciver/status/1099338367052013568