Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah while I am not denying the situation is bad for you personally, "a job where we barely have to work and nearly everyone is a princely GS-13" sounds like the goal to me, not the problem. When I quit, probably soon, it will definitely be because there is no workable path to get past a 9 without losing my Telework opportunities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I've been asked to fill in for a GS-11 for approximately a year. I've been looking to get an unrelated federal position that advertises a start at GS7/9. Will taking this temporary assignment help or hurt my chances in the federal hiring system?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

The GS scale often feels like it doesn't correspond to reality. The 5s in my office probably work the hardest, while plenty of 12s can just be checked out. Of course this is true for many industries...

Sacrist65 posted:

I've been asked to fill in for a GS-11 for approximately a year. I've been looking to get an unrelated federal position that advertises a start at GS7/9. Will taking this temporary assignment help or hurt my chances in the federal hiring system?

I don't see how it can hurt you. What's your official grade? That's probably the biggest factor.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Thesaurus posted:

The GS scale often feels like it doesn't correspond to reality. The 5s in my office probably work the hardest, while plenty of 12s can just be checked out. Of course this is true for many industries...
I am sure I have mentioned this before but the prevalence of GS-7 ISOs training GS-12 ISOs at my old office felt vaguely criminal. I mean, not in the literally criminal sense, but like everyone knew an injustice was occurring but there was no way to stop it.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I've worked in both field offices and service centers for USCIS and the amount of work field officers do at the same grade is ridiculous compared to my "show up in a t-shirt and jeans and touch files while listening to music" job.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Sacrist65 posted:

Make sure they're going to document it via SF 50. They could throw you into a spot and not pay or recognize you. If it's not in a SF 50, it's not legitimate. That will also qualify you for GS 12 positions...

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Make sure they're going to document it via SF 50. They could throw you into a spot and not pay or recognize you. If it's not in a SF 50, it's not legitimate. That will also qualify you for GS 12 positions...

Lady Bureaucrazy
Jan 24, 2007

Step 1: Insert speaker into vagina

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am sure I have mentioned this before but the prevalence of GS-7 ISOs training GS-12 ISOs at my old office felt vaguely criminal. I mean, not in the literally criminal sense, but like everyone knew an injustice was occurring but there was no way to stop it.

I think you've mentioned before that DC is out of the question for you, but hearing your situation really makes me wish a move to USCIS HQ we're possible for you. Some sections here have some really ridiculous grade inflation.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I had my first performance review yesterday and my supervisor said he wished he could be paying me more than an 11-1. He said he’ll put in for my ladder promotion to 12 when my 52 weeks are up in a couple months, but does it make sense to request a step increase? Like if I get to 11-2, will I ladder to 12-2 or still just 12-1? If it’s just 12-1, then it’s probably not worth the trouble.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

I had my first performance review yesterday and my supervisor said he wished he could be paying me more than an 11-1. He said he’ll put in for my ladder promotion to 12 when my 52 weeks are up in a couple months, but does it make sense to request a step increase? Like if I get to 11-2, will I ladder to 12-2 or still just 12-1? If it’s just 12-1, then it’s probably not worth the trouble.

The way it works is they look at your existing step, add 2 steps, look at the dollar value. Then they go down to the GS12 and find the nearest step that exceeds that dollar value.

So no, take the time off or the bonus.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Couple of dumb questions, forgive me, it's been awhile since I've applied to anything on USAJOBS...

-The paygrade for the job I'm applying for provides a range for that paygrades steps. If I were hired at that paygrade, would I start at the bottom step or would it depend on my experience, etc?

-Is it worth including cover letters when you apply through the site? I feel like when I last applied for jobs, it was dependent on the agency. Not sure if anything has changed there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Testvan posted:

The way it works is they look at your existing step, add 2 steps, look at the dollar value. Then they go down to the GS12 and find the nearest step that exceeds that dollar value.

So no, take the time off or the bonus.
Well the step increase wouldn't have anything to do with my performance review bonus/time off, but based on what you're saying, in order for my ladder promotion to hit even 12-2, it looks like I'd have to be 11-6, so the question is whether my supervisor could get me from 11-1 to 11-6.

I'm guessing not? He's only been a supervisor for a year and a half or two so he's not familiar with step increases, but he said he's happy to look into it.

edit: According to this, it sounds like the step increase would only move me up 1 step and I might not even be eligible for it since I didn't receive "the highest rating of record available": https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/pay-administration/fact-sheets/quality-step-increase/

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 22, 2019

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

Well the step increase wouldn't have anything to do with my performance review bonus/time off, but based on what you're saying, in order for my ladder promotion to hit even 12-2, it looks like I'd have to be 11-6, so the question is whether my supervisor could get me from 11-1 to 11-6.

I'm guessing not?

No. It’s possible to get a Quality Step Increase once a year (but rare — I don’t know a single person who’s received one), but that’s a single step and not worth pursuing if you’d be getting a 12 soon.

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

TheMadMilkman posted:

No. It’s possible to get a Quality Step Increase once a year (but rare — I don’t know a single person who’s received one)

Really? Remind me not to join your agency. There's always a decent amount of employees who get them yearly where I work.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lady Bureaucrazy posted:

I think you've mentioned before that DC is out of the question for you, but hearing your situation really makes me wish a move to USCIS HQ we're possible for you. Some sections here have some really ridiculous grade inflation.
Thanks! I appreciate it. And D.C. seemed to agree, as fortunately (for my ego and no other reason) I actually was offered a GS-11 at the Potomac Service Center, which I even tried to take with the caveat that "I hear the secret clearance for my other job could take forever," which is when I was told my clearance was already done and I was about to get an EOD for my current job. And, of course, now I know this is because they opted to just pretend the job did not say "secret clearance required" when onboarding me or something.

But yeah, I have a friend who worked USCIS HQ (or adjacent, not 100% sure how things work there) who literally went 5-7-9-11-12-13-14 in the same job, though as I understand it there was some mild handwaving involved from an outgoing chief.

Il Federale posted:

Really? Remind me not to join your agency. There's always a decent amount of employees who get them yearly where I work.
Yeah I have never heard of this happening at USCIS either. The star employees just get promoted immediately, nobody gets special step increases (not even my friend who earned perfect 5 reviews five years in a row and asked for one just to see if it was possible). Though, to quote out of order:

Beerdeer posted:

I've worked in both field offices and service centers for USCIS and the amount of work field officers do at the same grade is ridiculous compared to my "show up in a t-shirt and jeans and touch files while listening to music" job.
This is 100% true, but the breakdown of annual performance reviews at service centers definitely results in you taking a hit; I literally do not know anyone in the field who has received less than an "exceeded expectations" review, whereas I will never forget the graph they showed us at one of the all-hands meetings where something like 40% of all employees at the service center were at "achieved expectations" with like 5% at "not meeting expectations." Just absolutely insane either grade inflation in the field or grade deflation at the big offices (more likely), though it would matter less if not for the accompanying money/time off awards.

And of course as you point out, the average field office job duties pretty much earn some extra money or time off every year, so at least that part makes sense. This is why I found a field job that does not do interviews :smuggo:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
TIME-IN-GRADE - Applicants who are current Federal employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements (unless if in the commuting area and eligible for a non-competitive hiring authority such as Schedule A).

At the GS-09 grade level, you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-07 grade or higher. Please select the response below that most accurately describes you:

If I have a temp position at GS-5, does this question apply to me? Do I answer I am not a current Federal Employee or do I not qualify because of my Temporary position?

Because if having a temporary job counts as having a current Federal Employee position for this question but DOESN'T count for internal positions and federal employee positions, then that is some major bullshit.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Dr. Quarex posted:

This is 100% true, but the breakdown of annual performance reviews at service centers definitely results in you taking a hit; I literally do not know anyone in the field who has received less than an "exceeded expectations" review, whereas I will never forget the graph they showed us at one of the all-hands meetings where something like 40% of all employees at the service center were at "achieved expectations" with like 5% at "not meeting expectations." Just absolutely insane either grade inflation in the field or grade deflation at the big offices (more likely), though it would matter less if not for the accompanying money/time off awards.

Lately I feel like the pay grade is the only thing that matters. They can rate me "meets expectations" forever for all I care if it means I can go from 12 to 13.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

Lately I feel like the pay grade is the only thing that matters. They can rate me "meets expectations" forever for all I care if it means I can go from 12 to 13.

That rating absolutely matters for getting into BQ lists. I wish I could remember the calculation, but I’ve had an outstanding rating for a few years, which let me stop worrying about it.

Also, my promotion to 13 came through this week. I only knew by checking our online directory. Neither my old or new manager had been told when it would process.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I have never heard of this happening at USCIS either. The star employees just get promoted immediately, nobody gets special step increases (not even my friend who earned perfect 5 reviews five years in a row and asked for one just to see if it was possible). Though, to quote out of order:

Lake Wobegon, where every employee is above average!

My agency used to do QSIs pretty frequently if you were rated outstanding, they changed it a couple years ago, coincidentally when I first got to 'outstanding' and now you have to be specifically nominated by your manager and have it approved by the higher ups where is used to be almost automatic. I think my manager said there were only a few QSIs for the entire territory but I'm not sure how they are allocated.

Things have changed a lot over the last 15 years it seems. I've been here for 10, and the people that came in mid 2000's often went from GS 7 to GS 13 in 4-5 years since they used to announce more 12/13 promotions which are unheard of now. My boss has been with the agency about 13 years and gone from a GS-7 to a GS 14 step 10 in that time, by way of the regular 7/9/11 ladder, immediately getting a 12/13, lateraling to another position and getting a 14 in less than 2 years, then going to management and getting the 10% IR scale base bump plus a couple of good performance reviews. I think for IR scale its like 'meets' is a 0 or 1% raise, 'exceeds' is around 3%, and 'oustanding' is like 7%.

Meanwhile most of the people in my hiring class are still at 12 or if they are lucky 13.

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
Time for a what would do situation.

Instead of offering my new supervisor a grade increase, they gave him the option to work from home full time and he took it. Mind you it is extremely rare for supervisors/managers/directors to do full time telework.

Would you take a grade increase (GS-12/13/14) or the ability to work from home fulltime anywhere in the US?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Delorence Fickle posted:

Instead of offering my new supervisor a grade increase, they gave him the option to work from home full time and he took it. Mind you it is extremely rare for supervisors/managers/directors to do full time telework.

Would you take a grade increase (GS-12/13/14) or the ability to work from home fulltime anywhere in the US?

It'd depend heavily on what my commute situation was like. If it meant removing a painful, long daily commute, then I'd absolutely consider it.

I don't have kids, but I could see that influencing my decision, too.

Edit: My job would never be fully telework, though, so it's just a thought exercise for me.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I found out that I am going to receive a temporary promotion to 13. Unfortunately the temp promotion is limited to 120 days, but it is better than nothing! I also imagine it will look good on my resume for whenever they are able to get approval to compete the position as a permanent FTE.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
poo poo, I would take a pay CUT for 100% telework.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Same, I interviewed for a remote position I ended up losing to someone taking a cut from a 13 to an 11 just to get the position. I would probably take a cut to like a 5 for full-time remote work.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Delorence Fickle posted:

I would always take the money, unless it's like GS 14 step 10 to GS 15 or something. I also don't believe in commuting, after walking to work the past few years, so would gladly live in a shack next to the office and just stare at my TSP balance and bank account for warmth at night

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

laxbro posted:

I found out that I am going to receive a temporary promotion to 13. Unfortunately the temp promotion is limited to 120 days, but it is better than nothing! I also imagine it will look good on my resume for whenever they are able to get approval to compete the position as a permanent FTE.

It may not matter in the end, but that does count as 120 days in grade toward promotions to GS-14.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
So long as the work stays the same, give me the grade bump

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m an 11-1 in DC which means I am barely able to pay my bills and my supervisor said I’m doing work way beyond that level but OPM and HR prevent me from getting paid properly and fml I should just go private.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m an 11-1 in DC which means I am barely able to pay my bills and my supervisor said I’m doing work way beyond that level but OPM and HR prevent me from getting paid properly and fml I should just go private.

Blame Bill Clinton. Congress passed a law in the early 90s in recognition of the gap between public and private sector pay, especially in high cost of living areas, that is supposed to automatically adjust locality pay to keep up with local conditions. Unfortunately they included a provision to allow the executive branch to stop the adjustment "if because of national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare" and according to Clinton that situation lasted throughout his administration. Additionally another problem was that the automatic pay adjustments weren't matched by automatic budget increases for the individual agencies which over time could lead to significant budget shortfalls and services being cut back.

Other presidents since then share some of the blame as well but the thing is as the years have gone by with the automatic increases frozen the amount needed to catch up has gone up and up and up. Congress just passed a 1.4% general pay increase plus a .5% locality increase, if the automatic locality increase was allowed to go through there'd be a 26%+ jump in locality rates in total distributed across all the different pay areas and because the law doesn't pare the automatic pay adjustments with automatic budget adjustments that'd put every federal agency in an immediate budget crunch with the effect being cut back services and likely staff layoffs.

I only recall it really getting called out to any significant degree in the media this past year when Trump froze the automatic pay increase but no administration has wanted anything to do with it long before then as the can that Clinton kicked down the road became an avalanche.

Where I'm at 11-1 in my special pay rate is a comfortable salary for a single person at just above the local median HOUSEHOLD income and 2 at that level would be downright well off. In the DC area which at a quick glance online has a higher COL than where I'm at the pay is around 21% less.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Elem7 posted:

Unfortunately they included a provision to allow the executive branch to stop the adjustment "if because of national emergency or serious economic conditions affecting the general welfare" and according to Clinton that situation lasted throughout his administration.

We have 30-something current national emergencies so that adjustment will never happen. Ever.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Thanks for the thoughtful responses; I'm kind of surprised to see that other people feel the same way. As far as the videogame industry goes, I understand what they're doing. I am a certified project management professional and I could feasibly jump into a producer job, which isn't necessarily underpaid. I could leverage all my experience and probably pull a salary similar to what I make now and with a few years of hands-on experience I could pull 6 figures.

However, I have had a few other sticks in the fire and the last 6 days have been kind of crazy. In that time I submitted an application to an MBA program, interviewed, and was accepted. So I have some time to decide if I'm going to take some time away from work and focus on a full time program. As for whether I come back to federal service afterward or not, I can cross that bridge when I get there. I'll have return rights and the degree will also help in that regard.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
In response to your response I am finally prepared to apologize for calling you out in Helldump on like day one over your old avatar.

Look, that was before it became a serious place to call out child predators O.K.

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Never forget that profit is evil.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Drewski posted:

Thanks for the thoughtful responses; I'm kind of surprised to see that other people feel the same way. As far as the videogame industry goes, I understand what they're doing. I am a certified project management professional and I could feasibly jump into a producer job, which isn't necessarily underpaid. I could leverage all my experience and probably pull a salary similar to what I make now and with a few years of hands-on experience I could pull 6 figures.

However, I have had a few other sticks in the fire and the last 6 days have been kind of crazy. In that time I submitted an application to an MBA program, interviewed, and was accepted. So I have some time to decide if I'm going to take some time away from work and focus on a full time program. As for whether I come back to federal service afterward or not, I can cross that bridge when I get there. I'll have return rights and the degree will also help in that regard.

A former coworker of mine went from being an accountant for the government making ~$75K to working at an investment bank making ~$220K after getting his MBA. If you're gonna spend long hours at a soulless institution with little job security at least go somewhere that pays better than video games

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A friend is looking to apply via Schedule A. What should they know about the process beyond what the main eeoc site says?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are potential writing assignment and interview questions for a position considered taboo topics of discussion or otherwise secrets?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Artificer posted:

Are potential writing assignment and interview questions for a position considered taboo topics of discussion or otherwise secrets?

Depends on the position, when I went through the FBI special agent interview process they made you sign an NDA. For regular stuff though I wouldn't think there would be a problem

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

incels interlinked posted:

Depends on the position, when I went through the FBI special agent interview process they made you sign an NDA. For regular stuff though I wouldn't think there would be a problem

I remember taking a test for that -- I was in the process of applying before I got hired at the IRS. I also remember looking around the room and thinking that most of the people there would not pass it.

I'm curious what position OP is applying for that requires writing assignments.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

I remember taking a test for that -- I was in the process of applying before I got hired at the IRS. I also remember looking around the room and thinking that most of the people there would not pass it.

I'm curious what position OP is applying for that requires writing assignments.

When I did it there was an online computer screening test, an in-person proctored computer test, and an in-person panel interview with writing assessment. I didn't pass the 3rd part but they don't tell you why. My guess is the interview, the other people there were like 'I HAVE WANTED TO BE AN FBI AGENT SINCE I WAS 4 YEARS OLD' and I was like, uh I already have a sweet job but you guys asked for people with my qualifications and I want to do white collar crime investigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I've had a few criminal investigator job interviews that had writing assignments after the panel interview, they were not super complex so I figured they where just designed to weed out morons.