Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I swap between two watches (S2 and 3, keep the S2 with a case for rock climbing gym) and the drain seemed abnormally bad for the watch I wasn't wearing...like faster than when I'm actually wearing it. I just put the S2 in power reserve mode now, although it takes long enough to start back up I guess I might as well shut it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

BoyBlunder posted:

This is a good idea - thanks. How does it work for alarms? Does the watch still light up when your alarm goes off?

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

No. Half the point of theater mode is keeping the screen dark. It’ll vibrate on alarm, though.

E: and for what it’s worth, my S1 uses about 15% on an eight hour “overnight” if I wear it while sleeping.

This was actually a question I was looking for an answer to- can you set the watch to vibrate when an alarm goes off (in lieu of the phone vibrating or making noise?) This would be great for not waking my SO up when I have to get up early.

Can all versions of the Watch do this, if so?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

IllegallySober posted:

This was actually a question I was looking for an answer to- can you set the watch to vibrate when an alarm goes off (in lieu of the phone vibrating or making noise?) This would be great for not waking my SO up when I have to get up early.

Yes, and yes!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

If the sound is off then it just vibrates. Ditto for timers.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Deadguy2322 posted:

Yes, and yes!

Pants Donkey posted:

If the sound is off then it just vibrates. Ditto for timers.

Brilliant. Thank you both. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a deal on one of these :)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

IllegallySober posted:

Brilliant. Thank you both. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for a deal on one of these :)
I think Amazon has the series 3 for $199?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

That's a great deal. I still rock an S3 and love it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Pants Donkey posted:

I’m seeing $229. I’d probably pull the trigger at $199 for a new Series 3 if that’s out there, though.

Edit: looks like Amazon had a deal last week for $199 for the 38 mm Series 3. I’ll jump on it next time it comes around!

Referee fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 16, 2019

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

IllegallySober posted:

I’m seeing $229. I’d probably pull the trigger at $199 for a new Series 3 if that’s out there, though.

Edit: looks like Amazon had a deal last week for $199 for the 38 mm Series 3. I’ll jump on it next time it comes around!

Make sure on the sizing, the 42mm is not as big as you’d think. I was sure the 38mm would be right for me since my wrists and hands are pretty thin for a man, but the 42mm was perfect.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Deadguy2322 posted:

Make sure on the sizing, the 42mm is not as big as you’d think. I was sure the 38mm would be right for me since my wrists and hands are pretty thin for a man, but the 42mm was perfect.

Yeah, I’m planning to go into an Apple Store and try one on to see which size I’d be happiest with. Thanks for the advice :)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Best bet for knock off sport loops? Willing to pay a bit more for quicker shipping to us.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

kri kri posted:

Best bet for knock off sport loops? Willing to pay a bit more for quicker shipping to us.

Amazon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I did notice today on Ali Express that a couple of sellers offered “from US” shipping for a couple of bucks.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

kri kri posted:

AliExpress sellers who offer E-packet shipping are the best shot for a good price and making sure you get the goods, and get them fast. My experience with knockoff Apple Watch bands from Amazon was paying double what I did on AliExpress and waiting five months for the product to show up!

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 18, 2019

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Deadguy2322 posted:

AliExpress Seller’s who offer E-packet shipping are the best shot for a good price and making sure you get the goods, and get them fast. My experience with knockoff Apple Watch bands from Amazon was paying double what I did on AliExpress and waiting five months for the product to show up!

Ah yea, the old 5 month Chinese New Year delay.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

AliExpress Seller’s who offer E-packet shipping are the best shot for a good price and making sure you get the goods, and get them fast. My experience with knockoff Apple Watch bands from Amazon was paying double what I did on AliExpress and waiting five months for the product to show up!

Good poo poo thanks all

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Some 16 year old kid from Australia is cranking out quality watch apps. Check out MiniWiki - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miniwiki/id1448143759

Wikipedia on your watch. What a world to be living in.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

HiredGun posted:

Some 16 year old kid from Australia is cranking out quality watch apps. Check out MiniWiki - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/miniwiki/id1448143759

Wikipedia on your watch. What a world to be living in.

Neat. His Chirp app is pretty good and I’ve been using it since Twitter pulled official support for whatever dumb reason.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
I have mirror my iPhone on all main notifications (messages, mail, phone). When i receive something on my phone it vibrates, but I get no notification on my watch (vibration or noise).

I keep my watch on silent but I should still receive the haptic notification correctly?

When my phone is on silent it still vibrates but nothing on my watch.

I’ve deleting and resyncing to phone, but hasn’t helped.

Series 3. I never had this issue on my series 2.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Alfalfa posted:

I keep my watch on silent but I should still receive the haptic notification correctly?
Yep, I believe anything that’s set to make a sound in the phone notification settings makes the watch vibrate. My S3 misses one here and there but on the whole it does work for me like you’re expecting it to.
:ninja:: with phone ringer switch set to silent and watch on silent in the watch control center

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Deadguy2322 posted:

AliExpress sellers who offer E-packet shipping are the best shot for a good price and making sure you get the goods, and get them fast. My experience with knockoff Apple Watch bands from Amazon was paying double what I did on AliExpress and waiting five months for the product to show up!

I've ordered like 6 knockoff bands from Amazon. Every single one had Prime shipping. Do you live inside the core of the Earth or wat?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

XBenedict posted:

I've ordered like 6 knockoff bands from Amazon. Every single one had Prime shipping. Do you live inside the core of the Earth or wat?

lol look at this sheep paying $15 on Amazon when they could have saved $0.50 :rolleye:

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Am I missing the complications, or is there not one for “Now Playing”? If I pause music on my phone for a couple hours, iOS usually closes the app. When I’m ready to listen to music again I’d like to click play on my watch instead of my phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There is a Now Playing complication, but it’s a long one. Requires a whole top/bottom edge, not just a corner.

As in, it’ll fit on the Utility face, but not Simple.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
It doesn’t even fit on the info graph. What a bummer.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It is. My low effort compromise is to have two watch faces installed and swipe between them for the complication I need.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has there been any word about Apple making the EKG feature available for other countries yet?

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
When do you think the Apple Watch 4 will be in the refurb store?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the workout app, the running distance is shown in blue during a workout now. I swear it used to be a different color and don’t know how I changed it. Am I losing my mind?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

smackfu posted:

In the workout app, the running distance is shown in blue during a workout now. I swear it used to be a different color and don’t know how I changed it. Am I losing my mind?

I think! If you tap the distance it creates a split or some poo poo. I think you have to tap it again to clear it.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Try rolling the digital crown.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

XBenedict posted:

Worse. I live in Canada. Anything that doesn’t have customs pre-clearance is guaranteed to be stuck in Richmond, BC for a month, at least.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Oh cool, my watch gave me 18 minutes of exercise credit today during the time I was sitting down in my car without the workout app running. Yet somehow when I walk 20 minutes to work with the workout app on it gives me like 5 minutes of credit, 10 if I’m lucky.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh cool, my watch gave me 18 minutes of exercise credit today during the time I was sitting down in my car without the workout app running. Yet somehow when I walk 20 minutes to work with the workout app on it gives me like 5 minutes of credit, 10 if I’m lucky.

Just how bad are the roads where you live?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Road wank spotted.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Are there any good milanese loop knockoffs? A lot on Amazon seem to be too cheap to be any good. I'd happily pay in the $30-50 range for something decent, but everything seems to be around $15 range (which is fine by me if there actually are any good)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Raffles posted:

Are there any good milanese loop knockoffs? A lot on Amazon seem to be too cheap to be any good. I'd happily pay in the $30-50 range for something decent, but everything seems to be around $15 range (which is fine by me if there actually are any good)

The knockoff vendors come and go too fast for anyone to make recommendations. The one I got a month ago for :10bux: is fine, but isn't available any more.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Raffles posted:

Honestly most of the generic silver ones seem to be fine. I bought one like two years ago and while it slightly loosens every so often it was $10 instead of $100 and still looks flawless.

The coated ones tend to flake from what I hear.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We’ve compared the knockoffs to the real one in an Apple store and I think the only way to tell is that the link size was slightly different. I’m not sure how someone could make a better quality copy that anyone would care to pay for. The coating can wear off on the cheap ones but you can just buy a new one as needed and still come out way ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Cozmosis posted:

Honestly most of the generic silver ones seem to be fine. I bought one like two years ago and while it slightly loosens every so often it was $10 instead of $100 and still looks flawless.

The coated ones tend to flake from what I hear.

Space Grey tends to be ok, since they are anodized. I have one that’s two years old from a Chinese Amazon supplier that still looks good.

Another good suggestion for a nice band cheap: check places like TJMaxx, Marshall’s, Winners, etc. I found a Monowear stainless steel dress band, which retails over $100 for $26 CDN last fall. Definitely a step up from the generic bootlegs.