Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Why do americans use "Latinx" as a word. This is extremely baffling because I've never seen anyone from South America doing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm the only guy in my D&D group. I'm just reading about all of this in the past few days and want to make my group aware of it. Is there a quick summary somewhere back in the thread (I dug a little bit but didn't find a concise, quick explanation)?

I figure giving them more money is out of the question, and we've already purchased some books, but we're a year of playing in and we're really enjoying it. We can all decide if we're comfortable still playing it, or if we want to try something else. I'm going to offer up alternatives if they decide they're uncomfortable playing the game at all. I figure pathfinder is pretty similar, if not a bit more complicated. Personally I'd love an excuse to run Dungeon World, and they're all actors/theater people so the role play/improv game is on point.

Also, irrelevant to this, but our group is called Bruncheons and Dragons and we one Sunday a month and kill dragons, drink mimosas, and eat brunch foods til we're uncomfortable. I just wanted to brag.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Saxophone posted:

I'm the only guy in my D&D group. I'm just reading about all of this in the past few days and want to make my group aware of it. Is there a quick summary somewhere back in the thread (I dug a little bit but didn't find a concise, quick explanation)?

I figure giving them more money is out of the question, and we've already purchased some books, but we're a year of playing in and we're really enjoying it. We can all decide if we're comfortable still playing it, or if we want to try something else. I'm going to offer up alternatives if they decide they're uncomfortable playing the game at all. I figure pathfinder is pretty similar, if not a bit more complicated. Personally I'd love an excuse to run Dungeon World, and they're all actors/theater people so the role play/improv game is on point.

Also, irrelevant to this, but our group is called Bruncheons and Dragons and we one Sunday a month and kill dragons, drink mimosas, and eat brunch foods til we're uncomfortable. I just wanted to brag.

If you are thinking about switching to Pathfinder, you might want to read Jessica Price's Twitter thread about Paizo providing cover to Zak.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Why do americans use "Latinx" as a word. This is extremely baffling because I've never seen anyone from South America doing this.

Because it's gender neutral?

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Saxophone posted:

If you're looking for something more in the vein of pathfinder as an alternative I'd recommend 13th age. It's got a bit of the feel of something between 3.5 and 4th editions, of D&D and has some neat additions like escalation dice (makes battles go faster!) and Icons. It's got it's own flaws, but I've found it's also pretty easy to run and make on the fly encounters that are balance and modify monsters to fit in encounters. And I'm pretty sure it's less complicated than PF/3.5
Also, AFAIK it's not written by jerks/rapists (?).

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

If you're looking for something more in the vein of pathfinder as an alternative I'd recommend 13th age. It's got a bit of the feel of something between 3.5 and 4th editions, of D&D and has some neat additions like escalation dice (makes battles go faster!) and Icons. It's got it's own flaws, but I've found it's also pretty easy to run and make on the fly encounters that are balance and modify monsters to fit in encounters. And I'm pretty sure it's less complicated than PF/3.5
Also, AFAIK it's not written by jerks/rapists (?).

Didn't Jonathan Tweet post some :biotruths: stuff at one point about why women don't like RPGs?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

thefakenews posted:

If you are thinking about switching to Pathfinder, you might want to read Jessica Price's Twitter thread about Paizo providing cover to Zak.

Ffffffff

Part of 5e's allure was that it was pretty easy to pick up, since 3 of the 5 of us have never played, I have, and our DM has, but the DM has never DM'd.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

thefakenews posted:

Didn't Jonathan Tweet post some :biotruths: stuff at one point about why women don't like RPGs?

Oh. Maybe? I'm not on twitter, so IDK. If so, then that's bad.

For summaries on some of the problem people mentioned:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=196#post492646801

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=209#post492756026

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hostile V posted:

Venger Satanis is a high priest of Cthulhu and is responsible for the rule on RPG.net that you're not allowed to hex the mods with a curse.

Also he finally ate a permanent ban (again) because he declared he was transitioning into a tentacled horror and thought it should carry the same gravitas as somebody's actual gender transition.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

13th Age is super solid. The Backgrounds system actually encourages roleplaying and fleshing out your character with mechanics, it's beautiful.

The only objectionable thing I can think of is that Johnatan Tweet maybe had some dumb :biotruths: opinions? I don't remember specifics, but nothing reflecting that made it into the game.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

moths posted:

The only objectionable thing I can think of is that Johnatan Tweet maybe had some dumb :biotruths: opinions? I don't remember specifics, but nothing reflecting that made it into the game.
There's transphobia in 13 True Ways.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 22, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Plutonis posted:

Its gender neutral as someone else pointed out, and has been the most successful of the alternatives versus Latin@ and Latine even if the later is more aurually/grammarically pleasing in spanish.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Puto has a ton of different connotations that change depending on what country you’re in. It’s never nice though.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puto&=true

Cartel has had the same argument swirling around it since it was proposed. Should you make a game about the horrors of 00s drug life? Can the game be exciting, moral neutral, avoid gaze, etc? Should the people in the game talk like real life, which is often really offensive?

I’m not defending other stuff Mark done. It hurt a lot of people. I wasn’t hurt by his two minutes hate post. A lot of people were.

Solely on the topic of cartel, every AMA and interview he does he talks about these issues.

Brandon's thread, on the variety of Latinx games, is worth clicking: https://twitter.com/drcaptainkobold/status/1096797212326219777?s=12

With a TRPG, depending on how closely it hews to the theme, it can put players into a position that will invariably involve tripping over some red line that probably shouldn't have been crossed. If the game is too far from the theme however, it can obviate the point of including the theme in the first place. It really doesn't matter which side the players are on because it WILL get ugly because the situation IRL is also ugly.

It's totally possible to make a board game out of this subject ala the various COIN games like Andean Abyss, but as a board game it obviously has an inherent disconnect between the players and the game itself as well as the theme of the game and its mechanics. It also doesn't delve deeply because it's a board game that approaches the situation from a big picture view and forces itself to take a neutral stance so as to allow each player and faction as equal a chance at victory as possible. With a TRPG however, the players are all on the same side and so the RPG is not as compelled to take a neutral stance on it since the players and GM can offer it instead, for good or (more likely) for ill.

Touching historical events involving lots of crimes against humanity and death is already a minefield in a TRPG. Touching current events of the same nature is even more fraught and while experimental attempts should be made, it should be done in as sensitive and as careful a manner as possible with the creator(s) ready to abort at a moment's notice.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wait what? Please elaborate?

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Where at? I haven't read it cover to cover but I don't remember coming across anything like that.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

I've been googling just now and I can't find any complaints of it being homophobic or transphobic, using different combinations of searches and looking for reviews. Not saying it's not there, but I can't find anything)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

This is from page 150 of 13 True Ways

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Sage Genesis posted:

Wait what? Please elaborate?

From 13 True Ways posted:

. Officially, his gender is male,
but there’s reason to doubt that categorization,
including a
number of straight men that find themselves infatuated with
“him.”
Mind you the strange part is that I don't think I would have had a problem with it if they just left it ambiguous.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

Because it's gender neutral?

it's gender neutral but also pretty colonial due to its latin-esque x suffix. Some people are trying to make "Latine" stick but that isn't going great either. Just fyi, a lot of latino/a people aren't necessarily going to think "latinx" is great, and I don't just mean non-woke or conservative ones.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

I dunno, I can't find it now and if the last year or two have taught me anything it's that whatever someone did is probably much worse than what I remember. But I thought he said something like "Men evolved to like fighting and hunting etc which is why they make and like games based on same" and at the time I took that to be unfortunate phrasing of an obvious point (ie, that games primarily by men appeal primarily to men) and not BIOTRUTHS.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 22, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Reading that Polygon article and man, gently caress everyone in the industry acting like they didn't know Zak S was a poo poo. They were told, over and over and over. People documented harassment campaigns, patterns of public abuse, transphobia, etc. I remember talking about this poo poo when I was still a TG regular, and that was half a decade ago. I remember it getting publicized all across the hobby. What a broken industry.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I dunno, I can't find it now and if the last year or two have taught me anything it's that whatever someone did is probably much worse than what I remember. But I thought he said something like "Men evolved to like fighting and hunting etc which is why they like games based on same" and at the time I took that to be unfortunate phrasing of an obvious point (ie, that games primarily by men appeal primarily to men) and not BIOTRUTHS.

Found this quote (looks like the original article from 2008 is gone, source here: https://jhkimrpg.livejournal.com/68900.html), which seems to be roughly on that track:

"Roleplaying, as currently construed, appeals disproportionately to guys because it's mostly about the things that men evolved to enjoy: hunting and warfare. It's about a group assembling to undertake (imaginary) risks for glory and dominance. It's the same reason that team sports, such as basketball, are more male, whereas women compete to be judged beautiful and worthy (ice skating, gymnastics). TCGs are even more male-oriented than RPGs as they're about direct conflict with little to no story or personality. When I was in Finland 5 years ago, the TCG players were typified as guys without girlfriends. LARPing has more female appeal because it's more about personalities, relationships, clothing, and make-up."

It's not a great take, but I wouldn't call it full BIOTRUTH garbage.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FactsAreUseless posted:

Reading that Polygon article and man, gently caress everyone in the industry acting like they didn't know Zak S was a poo poo. They were told, over and over and over. People documented harassment campaigns, patterns of public abuse, transphobia, etc. I remember talking about this poo poo when I was still a TG regular, and that was half a decade ago. I remember it getting publicized all across the hobby. What a broken industry.

Pretty much. As has been mentioned elsewhere, the thing about Zak is he's always been good at creating smokescreens around this stuff. To really dig deep into it you had to go looking at old forum posts, screenshots of messages, a bunch of poo poo, and meanwhile he's surrounded by people going "Zak's a noble bringer of truth and equality and you're just a mentally ill prude." It's real lovely that it basically took an abuse victim publicly recounting her abuse for everyone to see to finally rip the blinders off, that should absolutely not have been necessary, but given that she's the person Zak most often turned to in order to shield himself from his detractors I think it may have been the only thing sufficient to finally put a stake in him.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Plus if you don't pretend it's shocking and you had no idea you have to own your personal complicity.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CaptCommy posted:

It's not a great take, but I wouldn't call it full BIOTRUTH garbage.

Yeah, that's it. Worse than I remember but not the "feeemales get -4 str +2 cha and are nurturing healer classes" that comes to mind when someone says biotruther in context of rpgs.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok, wow. I'm glad that Tweet line was just kind of awkward instead of monstrous.

And that elf god from 13 TW seems about as clumsy as D&D 5e's "You can play a woman elf who feels trapped in a man elf's body!" stab at inclusiveness. It seems like a huge stretch to file the book under T FOR TRANSPHOBIC.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Impermanent posted:

it's gender neutral but also pretty colonial due to its latin-esque x suffix. Some people are trying to make "Latine" stick but that isn't going great either. Just fyi, a lot of latino/a people aren't necessarily going to think "latinx" is great, and I don't just mean non-woke or conservative ones.

The term was coined by Spanish- and Mexican-American civil rights activists and is predominately used by those kinds of groups so...what?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Hostile V posted:

Venger Satanis is a high priest of Cthulhu and is responsible for the rule on RPG.net that you're not allowed to hex the mods with a curse.

What? How are you supposed to hex the mods then? This kind of stuff is why I post on SA instead :v:

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Is there really a specific rule about that or are you guys taking the piss?

Can... can I see the wording?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Is he the jackass that managed to force that really asinine and potentially unenforceable policy that WoTC created to appease some far right jackass?

I'm not 100% sure which policy you're talking about but Hambly is the guy behind Unsleeved Media (formerly MTGHeadQuarters). It's a YouTube channel where he used to do reviews and previews of Magic: The Gathering stuff, until WotC cut ties with him for bullying and harassing other prominent MTG reviewers. He received a lifetime ban from official MTG events after he and his fans drove a popular MTG female cosplayer out of the community. He claims he got into a physical altercation with a table top RPG designer in a bar during the last GenCon and was punched by the other guy. They were both banned from GenCon after that, but signs lead to the other guy having not really dealing serious violence on Hambly.

Hostile V posted:

Also an enthusiastic white nationalist who recently tried to do something on the level of "lol I ID as an Apache attack helicopter" in some OSR game rules he made. It was the inciting incident that led to the guy who created the "OSR" game logo to quit the OSR community and asking that nobody use the logo he made ever again.

Saxophone posted:

I posted some good alternative fantasy games here and here if you want some other ideas for fantasy games besides 13th Age and Dungeon World, too. If you were interested in other genres, or specific game types like mysteries/romances/scifi/horror or whatever, I can throw some more out, or you could try asking the TG Chat thread, too.

Speaking of, does anyone know that Unity RPG turned out? I know a lot of people were super excited by another good D&D alike that tried to be a more moderate execution of 4e's design.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 22, 2019

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know that Unity RPG turn out? I know a lot of people were super excited by another good D&D alike that tried to be a more moderate execution of 4e's design.

I keep looking for opinions on it, and I keep seeing people asking for opinions on it. But no one seems to have actually read or played it.

I haven't found any detailed reviews. Of course, it doesn't help when Googling that it is a game with the same name as a major video game engine.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Reene posted:

The term was coined by Spanish- and Mexican-American civil rights activists and is predominately used by those kinds of groups so...what?

Yeah it is used predominantly in those groups. In the West.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Unity is a solid implementation of 4E-esque design with some indy stuff tossed in. (The non-combat gear rules feel sort of dungeon-world inspired?) and -way- too many words wasted on the homebrew setting and having mecha rules? For some reason? I mean I'm not gonna turn down giant robot fights but it felt weirdly out of place.

Mostly I want to see what they do to expand the splat options. It feels like there's design space for Presence/Charisma based classes that didn't make it to the corebook,

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Impermanent posted:

Yeah it is used predominantly in those groups. In the West.

I feel like you and I must have different ideas of "the West," but ok.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reene posted:

I guess I should be relieved it's not a white people thing trying to warp my language (and the one of spanish speaking countries in LatAm) but still it's something that baffles me because "o" was assumed to be neutral at times.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reene posted:

I feel like you and I must have different ideas of "the West," but ok.

I'd use "Global North".

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

moths posted:

E: I think Mearls forwarding the emails was confirmed when Zak (posing as Mandy) posted Ettin's personal info on Tumblr along with a throwaway "I'm not doxxing because this is public, uh, somewhere."

From what I remember he knew my name because he hung out with the RPGsite crew, and they were making a big deal out of realising that I'd put my name on my old blog. I don't remember anyone going after me after the Mearls thing much but then Zak has always preferred more vulnerable people :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know that Unity RPG turned out? I know a lot of people were super excited by another good D&D alike that tried to be a more moderate execution of 4e's design.

i started another attempt at reading it again today, only to slam into the brick wall of 150 pages of lore the book begins with. still plugging away at it

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Nuns with Guns posted:

I have read it and put a frankly stupid amount of work into making a roll20 sheet (lesson learned: gently caress doing anything complicated with roll20). I think it's interesting but I'm not sure I'd ever run it. The classes are all mechanically distinct (similar to how 13th Age does it) and it's a beautiful book, but the lore is completely uninteresting and it could have used another editing pass on the rules, which I found to be a bit scattered. My overall opinion is "neat" but like I said, not sure I'll ever get around to running it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Plutonis posted:

I guess I should be relieved it's not a white people thing trying to warp my language (and the one of spanish speaking countries in LatAm) but still it's something that baffles me because "o" was assumed to be neutral at times.

For what it's worth, it's also a thing here in the Philippines where some people insist on saying "Filipinx", even though "Filipino" is generally understood to be a gender-neutral term.

I just figure it's no skin off my nose to use it, if that's the preference of the person I'm talking to.

BinaryDoubts posted:

I have read it and put a frankly stupid amount of work into making a roll20 sheet (lesson learned: gently caress doing anything complicated with roll20)

roll20's sheets are all horridly unfriendly web-forms, and I still do all my character sheets on a spreadsheet or something because I actually have control over how it's laid out.