Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

God.
Damnit.

That's three friendships in a year I've had to burn because people can't not be rapey fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm going in for a LASIK consult on Tuesday. Although I've become accustomed to seeing myself in glasses over the last 16+ years, they've really become a hindrance lately. When I'm hunting, they interfere with binoculars and rifle scopes. I've scratched them on the viewfinders of old cameras. I'm supposed to do SCUBA lessons soon, and of course you can't wear glasses under the mask. I was on a beach for an event the other day and the blowing spray + sand essentially made them worthless after 30 minutes plus I couldn't dare wipe them given the sand on the lenses.

I hate the idea of anyone or anything messing with my eyes (I don't even wear contacts) but I'm loving sick of having bad eyes. This particular surgeon comes highly recommended by two of my friends, too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

For neutral insults, 'scatmuncher' it's a solid choice that's guaranteed to get reactions

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fender Anarchist posted:

For neutral insults, 'scatmuncher' it's a solid choice that's guaranteed to get reactions

don't kinkshame

nah actually I think it's okay to kinkshame in this case, please don't eat poo poo even if it gets you off, people, come on

Ether Frenzy posted:

Literally every personalized insult ever created and used by man was mocking someone's disability or minority status, so at some point we should all just quit calling each other names in general and give more "thumbs up" signs instead.

Except literally every personalized insult ever created by man is not mocking someone's disability or minority status, you simply cherrypicked some that are.

Many are scatalogical, some imply or accuse a person of promiscuity, blasphemy, betrayal, treason, cowardice, or other traits considered undesirable or intolerable, etc. And quite a few simply refer to the unmentionable body parts or functions for pure shock value.

You shitheaded backstabbing scumsucking sleazy penis.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Thursday of last week I received and then had to sort and store about 400 tires while doing most of my regular duties at work. This bled into Friday just because of the sheer number of tires and the fact I had to be creative with where I was storing them due to not having nearly enough space in the tire bunk or parts warehouse to fit them and because the GM of the store kept re-assigning the people who were supposed to help me I largely did it all by myself.

Now, we have this thing called a "pick" which is where I get a list of items that need to get picked from the warehouse to go out onto the shelves in Automotive. I don't do anything other than put the items on carts for other staff to put on the shelves. Because of the tires I had no time to do a pick on Thursday or Friday (the days I normally do it) and thusly didn't.

I was off on Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tues. Yesterday, I spent the day playing catch-up because the people who cover in my area on my days off also have to work the Parts desk and aren't expected (by me or anyone) to do all of the work I normally do in a day. Being off for four days wasn't my choice, it just happened to work out that way because Monday was a holiday and Tuesday was a scheduled day off for me.

This meant by today a pick had not been done by me in seven days. Once the list gets long-enough it overflows and apparently that happened on Saturday.

GM of the store, who is not my boss, got on the radio (we each carry one) this morning and called me out for not having done a pick during the last five days. I was so taken-aback I just meekly replied I'd get to it and then my actual boss got on the radio and informed him that we'd already discussed me doing a pick today (which was true, I drive her into work and we'd talked about it on the way in). My boss is mad because the GM essentially undermined her by calling me out on the radio, I'm mad because he felt it appropriate to call me out essentially in front of every one of my coworkers.

There's an annual job fair near here and it's got about an hour left in it, I'm printing resumes and heading over to it as soon as I've finished eating.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 22, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

This might just be a to-be-ousted government trying to buy votes before the election, and will no doubt be reversed by the already impossibly corrupt government-to-be but holy hell, how did common sense sneak into government policy?

Every single fixed speed trap in NSW has to have clearly marked signs before it. Every mobile non police car trap has to have signs before and after. Even the local Highway patrol dont quite hide like they used to - somethign about the constant visual reminders not to speed have a better effect on keeping driver behaviour in line than getting nasty letters int he mail.

Still doesnt stop the traps being revenue raisers and effective ones tho.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone see the trailer for the Netflix movie about Motley Crue yet?

If it's anywhere near what the book was it's gonna be good.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The use of the words "retard" and "retarded" on this here Something Awful forums are no-nos per admin decree, gentlegoons.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Every single fixed speed trap in NSW has to have clearly marked signs before it. Every mobile non police car trap has to have signs before and after. Even the local Highway patrol dont quite hide like they used to - somethign about the constant visual reminders not to speed have a better effect on keeping driver behaviour in line than getting nasty letters int he mail.

Still doesnt stop the traps being revenue raisers and effective ones tho.

The difference between Victorian drivers and NSW drivers on the freeway is stark.

It’s rare to have a stream of traffic doing the actual speed limit in Vic, 10 - 20kph under seems to be the norm. Everyone is too scared of getting a ticket I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm going in for a LASIK consult on Tuesday. Although I've become accustomed to seeing myself in glasses over the last 16+ years, they've really become a hindrance lately. When I'm hunting, they interfere with binoculars and rifle scopes. I've scratched them on the viewfinders of old cameras. I'm supposed to do SCUBA lessons soon, and of course you can't wear glasses under the mask. I was on a beach for an event the other day and the blowing spray + sand essentially made them worthless after 30 minutes plus I couldn't dare wipe them given the sand on the lenses.

I hate the idea of anyone or anything messing with my eyes (I don't even wear contacts) but I'm loving sick of having bad eyes. This particular surgeon comes highly recommended by two of my friends, too.

DO IT DO IT DO IT
OMG, it is so unbelievably nice to not have to put on glasses in the morning, clean glass, be careful of glasses, try to keep glasses on your face upside down under a car or dash, FIND glasses, replace glasses, to be able to wear sunglasses, not have earpieces constantly putting pressure on your ears or temples...
I wore glasses for 40 years, can you tell? Got LASIK (and cataract lens replacement) a couple months ago. NO REGRATS.
Kiss last night was the first concert I've attended without glasses, and it was glorious.
LASIK is super quick. Lots of build up, but the actual surgery is painless and fast.

Only drawback so far: have to be careful to remember to wear eye-pro when working with potential flying debris/pokey stuff.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Adiabatic posted:

The use of the words "retard" and "retarded" on this here Something Awful forums are no-nos per admin decree, gentlegoons.

Agreed. The timing of the word is pretty played out. We’re much more advanced than that.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Got another donation from forums superstar Seat Safety Switch:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Agreed. The timing of the word is pretty played out. We’re much more advanced than that.

:getout:

Well done.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
never thought it would be here in AI that the most progressive poo poo gets done but gently caress here we are.

i have toyed with lasik for years because it seems like im in a position to afford it, problem being i work in a laser related field and how bad they can gently caress up is etched into my mind plus im kinda oldish? does that matter?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Adiabatic posted:

Adiabatic best mod.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

sneakyfrog posted:

never thought it would be here in AI that the most progressive poo poo gets done but gently caress here we are.

i have toyed with lasik for years because it seems like im in a position to afford it, problem being i work in a laser related field and how bad they can gently caress up is etched into my mind plus im kinda oldish? does that matter?

Just remember, LASIK corrects near, or far vision. Usually far. This is good when you're younger and the lens in the eye is still flexible and can accommodate between the two, but as you get older, your eyes WILL get presbyopic (unable to accommodate). LASIK can't fix that.

Everyone needs glasses eventually. After a certain point, presbyopia, LASIK just lets you choose which (for reading, or for driving/distance).

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im near sighted. cant see poo poo for far vision. right eye is like 20/400 right eye is like 20/40 close im fine.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Queen Combat had an excellent effortpost on lasik a year or so ago. I can't do it justice, but she pointed out that your eyes "take a set" at a certain point in life when you'll either be able to focus better on close things or far things, but not both. It's a factor of age and an unavoidable result.

Well, I've had contacts for 30 years with a correction in the -3 range. Within the past year I think I experienced what she said would happen. All of a sudden I noticed that I could not focus on really small print without a large amount of light. I used to pride myself on being able to read microprint on money and such, and now I need to work at reading the small print on some food packaging.

I accept it as just getting old. I can correct it with bifocal contacts, and probably will next visit, but I think the lasik stuff isn't going to happen because of that choice -- near or far, you're going to need help with the other at some point with or without lasering your eyeballs.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ether Frenzy posted:

Literally every personalized insult ever created and used by man was mocking someone's disability or minority status, so at some point we should all just quit calling each other names in general and give more "thumbs up" signs instead.

I use "rear end in a top hat" quite a bit more nowadays.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I have it saved on my phone.

Queen Combat posted:

Gather round, children, for a very quick and dirty explanation of Eyes, Glasses, and You.

-------------BASICS-------------

Your eye has a lens in it.  This lens resides underneath your cornea.  This lens focuses light onto your retina. When you have "perfect" vision ("20/20, though that's a bullshit measurement and I'll tell you why), the lens in your eye does what's called accommodation, or changes shape, to focus this light.  When you're looking at something in the distance, the lens needs to get pulled flat a bit. To see up close, it needs to squish down and become thicker (I could have this backwards, I'm a bit tipped right now) Flying saucer versus, well, a taller, fatter flying saucer.

If you have imperfect vision, that means that the lens in your eye can't accommodate enough to focus the light.  For some, the back of the eye is too close to the lens, and when looking at things up close, the lens can't squish enough to make the light meet it; but, when you're looking at things further away, that's still within the range of accommodation of your lens.  These people are hyperopic* or "far sighted." They can see fine far away, but not up close. For other people, the retina of the eye is too far away for the lens to flatten out enough to focus. These people are said to be mopic*, or "near sighted." They can see up close just fine, but not far away.

Now, whether you have perfect vision, or are my/hyperopic, something will happen starting around age 40.  The lens in your eye will start to harden, and lose its accommodation powers. This is called "presbyopia."  In general, the "resting point" of the lens is focused out to infinity, and that's why you feel yourself have to "manually" focus on things up close after spacing out at your desk at work, because your eyes were resting and that means you were focused out into the distance.

This hardening/presbyopia will manifest, in somebody with good vision, as losing the ability to read up close.  Even people with perfect vision will start struggling around their early thirties at doing close-up manual work.  (I'm thirty and even I benefit from wearing some cheap +.75D reading glasses when doing soldering and the like, because it reduces the strain on my eyes with my contact lenses in.)  Eventually, and usually around 44-45, people buy their first pair of dedicated reading glasses.

Now, for somebody with imperfect vision, presbyopia will start to add a "boundary" to their natural focus range.  If you're farsighted, up until that point, you could wear glasses for reading, but didn't need glasses to drive during the day or at night.  But, when presbyopia sets in, you may need night driving glasses, as being out at night opens up the pupil, and would naturally require the lens to focus somewhere due to the bigger aperture.  Or, the presbyopia could "set" the lens at an intermediate (say, 10-20 foot) focal point, and you'd need glasses 100% of the time for anything involving distances greater than that. Likewise, if you're near-sighted, your natural focus range was closer.  If you were mildly (-2.00 or under) myopic, you might have been able to see things from the tip of your nose out to your fingertips. Presbyopia will push that "close" boundary out from your nose further and further, until you only have one "sharp" focal point a set distance out.  Eventually, the presbyopia will "surpass" the geometric ability of the eye, and even a nearsighted person would/will have to wear glasses 100% of the time, even for close work that a few years prior would have been no problem.

-------------LASIK-------------

LASIK is a procedure where they temporarily remove the cornea (the "flap" they talk about), and use a laser to correct the shape of the front of the lens.  This will shift the "natural" focal range of the lens from something that was previously geometrically out-of-bounds with your retina, to something that's within range.  That's all well and good.

However, LASIK will only really give you 100% benefit** if you do it at a point in your life when the lens in your eye is still flexible.  Once your lens loses flexibility, the utility of LASIK is reduced. After presbyopia sets in, you'll have to choose which focal point you want for the surgery.  Do you want perfect distance vision, and have to wear glasses to use a computer and to read (usually separate pairs, or a set of intermediate/reading glasses that are bifocals/trifocals/progressives)?  Or are you a homebody that wants a focal point a few feet out for computer use and cooking, and instead needs glasses to drive or do other distance vision activities? Or, do you want the worst of both worlds, Monovision, where one eye is distance and one eye is up close and you lose all depth perception and it is also a poo poo procedure (I'm not biased)?

These are your choices, and kind of remove what people traditionally think of (and are advertised) as the main benefits of LASIK.  

**LASIK can still benefit somebody like me with a -7.00, or somebody with a lot of astigmatism, by reducing, but not eliminating, the prescription they would otherwise require.  This also reduces cost of specialty lenses, and can improve depth perception and clarity, even if you still have to wear contacts or glasses. Even after presbyopia sets in, somebody with a high prescription might choose LASIK for that reason alone.

*"myopia" and "hyperopia" are deceptively self-explanatory, but not in the way most people think.  Hyperopia = Hyper (too much/far) + opia (optics), but it doesn't refer to what you can see. It refers to the fact that the focused light in your eye would be beyond, or behind, the retina.  Myopia, same thing. Focused light falling short of the retina.

tl;dr Your eye has a "range" of distance it can see at.  Farsighted people are generally X feet out to a 300 feet. Nearsighted people are from X feet in (but no further), to their nose.  Good vision people are from their nose, out to 300 feet. LASIK can correct the near/farsighted people's "range" to be from their nose out to whatever.  However, around age 40, this range will narrow for everybody, until it narrows down to a single point. LASIK can't give the range back, it can only move the point in or out.

Here's a quick picture I whipped up in an advanced photo editor:

LASIK after presbyopia can only shift around that focal zone, but it cannot expand it.

EDIT: I FORGOT ABOUT THE BULLSHIT 20/20 MEASUREMENT.

"20/20" or "20/40" or the like are just referencing your distance vision at 20 feet, that's all.  "20/20" means that, at 20 feet, you see what a theoretical person with perfect focusing would see.  "20/40" means, at 20 feet, you're seeing poo poo like you were 40 feet away, or less clearly. The scale only goes up to 20/400, so if somebody goes "I see 20/20000" they're talking out of their rear end, or have a lovely optometrist that gave them a probably-bullshit (could be mathematically calculated but literally nobody bothers) number.  It's a useless measurement as well, because it doesn't actually account for your true distance or near vision. A moderately farsighted person, or a presbyopic person, might test out to 20/20 or even 20/15, but be poo poo at reading up close, or actually seeing out past 20 feet and couldn't be trusted to drive. It's a stupid measurement and everybody hates it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

I have it saved on my phone.

Yep, that was it. And almost 2 1/2 years ago... yikes.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

It's awesome and I'm really glad I did it, and they even gave me a DVD of the surgery which I promptly showed to my friends who were horrified by the flap cutting procedure. It looks gnarly but all I felt was minor discomfort.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Troglodyte is one of my favorite insults and I think it should only be offensive for the right reasons. I started using it to replace my previous favorite insult when I found out that one was actually a, somewhat obscure, slur. It's kind of driving me nuts though as I cannot remember what that old insult even was.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Galler posted:

Troglodyte is one of my favorite insults and I think it should only be offensive for the right reasons. I started using it to replace my previous favorite insult when I found out that one was actually a, somewhat obscure, slur. It's kind of driving me nuts though as I cannot remember what that old insult even was.

It's very offensive to Trogdor the Burninator who is a majestic creature :mad: Adiabatic please ban this word too.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Don't be a doodoo head

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I usually just go "Oh gently caress off" as my go-to feel-better insult.

What about dickhead?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

Adiabatic best mod.

Agreed :cheers:

Also that QC LASIK post did the same to me regarding it. I'm starting to notice some more difficulty on small focusing anyway, I've worn glasses effectively my whole life at this point, I'll wear them forever.

Been raining all day here, and snowing bad enough elsewhere that pretty much every road out of town that isn't going south or west is closed. And yet I have a strong urge to go do some AWD snownuts in the Jeep.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm 30 and myopic, I guess I'll see what the guy says but goddamn I would love to have some better vision.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Galler posted:

I'm guessing it started with mong. Used to be one of my favorites but then I found out 1. It was originally a term for down's syndrome and 2. It's now a rather racist term for Asian people. So yeah, had to knock that poo poo off.

I try and keep it creative and/or old English. Numpty's a favorite, but I'm not gonna try to predict the next insult I come up with, last time someone got called an infinite muppet.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KakerMix posted:

I usually just go "Oh gently caress off" as my go-to feel-better insult.

What about dickhead?

loving Idiot is my favorite.

Also I'm a security guard and the term "Robo Cop" offends me. I'm not a robot you jerks :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
How about Rent-A-Cop? :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow not cool

Going to my safe place brb

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Come bite my thumb ye hoebag

I suspect Shakesphere had a XBox when he wrote Villain, I have done thy mother

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

meatpimp posted:

Well, I've had contacts for 30 years with a correction in the -3 range. Within the past year I think I experienced what she said would happen. All of a sudden I noticed that I could not focus on really small print without a large amount of light. I used to pride myself on being able to read microprint on money and such, and now I need to work at reading the small print on some food packaging.

:same:

I once read the lettering off of a 1mm x 1.5mm surface mount resistor and impressed the hell out of all my coworkers. Now I can't even read a text message on my cell phone without holding it at arms length and taking off my glasses. Started exactly at age 45.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow not cool

Going to my safe place brb

Don't feel bad, I work a minimum wage job in retail and literally get bitched out by management for not doing my job on my days off. Not like I'm better than you!

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Dipshit is the supreme universal insult.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

LASIK is awesome and I'm glad I had it done. That was something like 8 years ago and my vision is still perfect 20/10 (33 now). I was nervous about having it done but after they gave me valium before the procedure I was smiling as they did it and thinking how cool it was. The only discomfort was the machine clamping down over my eye sockets and that was fairly minor. I had the type where they cut the flap with a laser instead of a blade. It's cool doing an eye exam seconds after the surgery and seeing the improvement.

It's awesome waking up the next day and driving back for your post op checkup. The most amazing thing about it for me afterwards was how crisp things like leaves on trees look now. You immediately notice how much compression glasses cause when you wear them.

Edit: my go to insult for people these days is calling them ghouls. It's fun to say.

Ansith
Nov 8, 2010

Elongated Baked Bean

Adiabatic posted:

When I started reading this line of conversation I kept thinking someone is using this word daily around me recently but I couldn't pick who or where it was.

Oh yeah the red text my friend gave me as a gift when he bought me this account to help me "fit in". He did do a top job on the gif I requested though, the trap door was a great show.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Dingus, gently caress nugget, gently caress knuckle, richard, jerkface, asshat and gently caress stick all make a regular rotation for me. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

I'm guessing it started with mong. Used to be one of my favorites but then I found out 1. It was originally a term for down's syndrome and 2. It's now a rather racist term for Asian people. So yeah, had to knock that poo poo off.

I try and keep it creative and/or old English. Numpty's a favorite, but I'm not gonna try to predict the next insult I come up with, last time someone got called an infinite muppet.

That was it! The offensive part of it might be a touch less obscure than I was remembering. Numpty and muppet are fantastic insults.