Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Imagine pretending in 2019 that having a big rear end television wasn't a central aspect of your home and planning some major element of how you design your space to best accomplish enjoying that appliance in that space.

"Oh this? It's our kitchen, we didn't want to distract with the range or the refrigerator, though, so we keep them tucked out of the way in the corner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah that's why refrigerator built-ins are a big thing. You can also get oven built-ins and put the range on another countertop, like a recessed part of the island. I'm not saying you should but it's definitely a goal for a lot of people.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I just thought the tv alcove shrine was funny :shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Imagine pretending in 2019 that having a big rear end television wasn't a central aspect of your home and planning some major element of how you design your space to best accomplish enjoying that appliance in that space.

"Oh this? It's our kitchen, we didn't want to distract with the range or the refrigerator, though, so we keep them tucked out of the way in the corner."

The alcove limits the size of the TV and cramps it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's the correct location!!!!! They can think about displaying minimalist ceramics in the alcove after the kids grow up.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Really. It's ok to have something with a clear functional use out where it's function is maximized. TV hanging off to the side like in the original looks even worse to my eye.

Also I really like how you kept the original light fixtures.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is the "but you gently caress one goat" of interior design, isn't it?

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
I agree that the TV looks a bit awkward in the alcove. There's probably some adjustment of depth, height, or supporting furniture that would fix it. Seems like the obvious place for it regardless

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Breath Ray posted:

Excellent questiom. The door covers the half of the tub nearest the shower head and gravity takes care of everything else trajectory wise. You do need a lot more viakal than with a shower curtain but for me it's worthwhile

What you can't see is that it's a double shower - one head at each end (my side is about 6" higher than hers because she a shorty)

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The alcove limits the size of the TV and cramps it.

That's a 55", because our larger tv broke and it's all we could afford at the time in HDR. But there is ample room for a 75" in there. It's on an extendable arm, so it can move backwards and forwards, as from experience flush mounts make getting to the cabling practically impossible, and I like to tinker.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah, replace that thing with a turntable and install a drop-down projector screen in its stead.

I honestly prefer what the previous owners did with that alcove and their TV. OP, the tv looks cramped and weird in that space and it does look sorta enshrined or structural there.

The best/easiest solution is to put the TV against or on the wall with the sconces or in a corner like the previous owners’.

Otherwise lovely job.

As other posters have mentioned, the room is predominantly used for watching TV. We have young children, so we have no choice but to spend a lot of time at home watching TV while they sleep. Putting the TV anywhere else would be idiotic from a functional perspective, never mind that it would make the already difficult task of setting up a good surround sound layout impossible. People actually have to live in these spaces - they're not just magazine covers for your personal appreciation.

I do AV solution designs for work, AMA.

We have other spaces for playing and working and about 500Msq of back garden to entertain.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

What you can't see is that it's a double shower - one head at each end (my side is about 6" higher than hers because she a shorty)

That's a 55", because our larger tv broke and it's all we could afford at the time in HDR. But there is ample room for a 75" in there. It's on an extendable arm, so it can move backwards and forwards, as from experience flush mounts make getting to the cabling practically impossible, and I like to tinker.

As other posters have mentioned, the room is predominantly used for watching TV. We have young children, so we have no choice but to spend a lot of time at home watching TV while they sleep. Putting the TV anywhere else would be idiotic from a functional perspective, never mind that it would make the already difficult task of setting up a good surround sound layout impossible. People actually have to live in these spaces - they're not just magazine covers for your personal appreciation.

I do AV solution designs for work, AMA.

We have other spaces for playing and working and about 500Msq of back garden to entertain.

insteas of two showers at different heights, what about having the one shower and you raise or lower the shower head as needed?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Biggest problem is that the unit under the tv is kinda tall and narrow and also fuggers as all hell

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
That's a good point. Wonder what happened to the stylish low thing they had before. I'd get rid of fuggers if the TV is on the wall anyway, and arrange some candles on the floor in a pentagram shape.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Breath Ray posted:

insteas of two showers at different heights, what about having the one shower and you raise or lower the shower head as needed?

It looks like the old shower had a faucet on one side and a shower head on the other, putting water in both walls already. Personalized shower heads is a pretty small indulgence if the plumbing is already in place.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

there wolf posted:

It looks like the old shower had a faucet on one side and a shower head on the other, putting water in both walls already. Personalized shower heads is a pretty small indulgence if the plumbing is already in place.

Also you know, having two people in a shower with one shower head is kinda lovely.

Breath Ray posted:

That's a good point. Wonder what happened to the stylish low thing they had before. I'd get rid of fuggers if the TV is on the wall anyway, and arrange some candles on the floor in a pentagram shape.

That was the POs. We're hunting for a similar radiogram, but they got expensive recently. I'm not in love with it, but it's better than the thing that was there before, and the centre channel needs to sit on something. Ideally I'd get a nice big radiogram unit and integrate the centre channel into it, but the odds of finding something suitable for that within budget are pretty low. That cabinet was $50AUD.

I might build something when I have more time for woodworking projects, but I have to renovate the outdoor space to make it more weatherproof first.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Also you know, having two people in a shower with one shower head is kinda lovely.

How so

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Cause you’re supposed to be loving who cares about the shower

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Cause you’re supposed to be loving who cares about the shower

If you’re the one outside the shower you get cold and also hit in the face and eyes with the stream.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

If you’re the one outside the shower you get cold and also hit in the face and eyes with the stream.

Try standing up

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

With two shower heads one can be washing your hair while the other is washing your butt. Smart thinking.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Or one person can get spitroasted by plumbing fixtures.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Don Dongington posted:

Ideally I'd get a nice big radiogram unit and integrate the centre channel into it, but the odds of finding something suitable for that within budget are pretty low. That cabinet was $50AUD.

Have you looked into buffets from the same period? I feel like I see more of them around, and unlike actual radiograms you wont have to pull existing components out to make room for what you actually want in the cabinet.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

there wolf posted:

Have you looked into buffets from the same period? I feel like I see more of them around, and unlike actual radiograms you wont have to pull existing components out to make room for what you actually want in the cabinet.

Yeah we might experiment with a few different things in the space. We can pretty much move anything on for the same as what we pay for it anyway. I only finished the flooring on Monday so there's plenty of time for that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Breath Ray posted:

You have good style !

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah we might experiment with a few different things in the space. We can pretty much move anything on for the same as what we pay for it anyway. I only finished the flooring on Monday so there's plenty of time for that.

You can get a low coffee table from ikea for £35 - and the top is reversible

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Biggest problem is that the unit under the tv is kinda tall and narrow and also fuggers as all hell

What does this mean? I can't find anything obviously relevant on google.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Fugly. It just means ugly.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

there wolf posted:

Fugly. It just means ugly.

More specifically, fugly = fuck ugly

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Not a big fan of subway tile, but I love the floor choice.

I am. But I fear it will be a strong indicator of when a bathroom or kitchen was renovated a few years down the road.

I like timeless or classic designs. Anyone have a good trove of pictures of tile work for timeless bathrooms and kitchens?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

oh poo poo I made up a slang

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

CB2 has some really lovely sideboard/media/buffet units these days. I’d love to eventually replace my NORNAS record unit with one.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Try standing up

I’ve had a lot of sex in showers, I’ll have you know, and I—

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am. But I fear it will be a strong indicator of when a bathroom or kitchen was renovated a few years down the road.

I like timeless or classic designs. Anyone have a good trove of pictures of tile work for timeless bathrooms and kitchens?

I think subway tile is going to look like an old trend for a year or two, but then it'll just be a thing some houses have like the little hexagon ones in old bathrooms. People will change up the cabinets and stuff, and the tile will just be what it is.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

For a design trend it's at least pretty unobtrusive. It will date refurb jobs but I think it'll age well and be pretty easy to dress up.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I love those little hexagon tiles, but I generally like ‘dated’ tile styles as long as they’re maintained, including the ~colorful~ pink/green/yellow bathrooms. I wish our house still had the mauve tile that was in it before some dumb contractor threw down a bunch of boring big grey home depot tiles.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I’ve seen some really well adapted 50s/60s/70s/80s colorful tilework in my life. I much prefer that to your bog-standard “tear it all out and replace it with white or beige” bathroom job that became commonplace in the 90s and onward.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

White subway tile is fine. A recent trend, but retro. Way better than 〜country〜 designs like roses and teddy bears like my work has in every bathroom :sadpeanut:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
any design at all is better than a ~country~ design

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
note that traditional/classic/contemporary rural architecture and design from northern New England, Appalachia, the American Southwest, the Plains, or anywhere else is not ~country~ design

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

peanut posted:

White subway tile is fine. A recent trend, but retro. Way better than 〜country〜 designs like roses and teddy bears like my work has in every bathroom :sadpeanut:

My boyfriend and I were driving through low country SC to go to Charleston, and stopped at this old worn grey prefab building service station for gas and Cheerwine. It was the area's hangout for beer and meeting up with your low country buddies, as evidenced by the crowd there at 2pm on a Thursday. It was a little intimidating, but everyone was very polite, or just left us be.

Apparently, all the decor budget was in the bathroom, and handled by the missus of the establishment, because it was about as pinky beige and god loving country cutesy as you could cram into a service station single toilet bathroom. Quite the shocker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
when you have enough sense not to go to homegoods and you do all your shopping at Christmas Tree Shop instead