Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im the presaturated 4 to 2 lane balancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Jeesis posted:

Stocking up for .17 in a semi-efficient-extremely-inefficient way :shepface:.

i am so confused

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah that's making my head hurt.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Making blueprints adapted for the belt speed changes? I can see creative mode items there.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jeesis posted:

Stocking up for .17 in a semi-efficient-extremely-inefficient way :shepface:.

Explain this immediately.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh this is gonna be stupid

i just started bob's mods for the first time and everything takes wood. am i missing a forest or greenhouse unit or something? i'm not gonna chop down all these trees

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Yeah, Bob's has a greenhouse as an optional mod. I actually use it in my regular games just to create wood for boxes and small power poles.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

i say swears online posted:

i just started bob's mods for the first time and everything takes wood. am i missing a forest or greenhouse unit or something? i'm not gonna chop down all these trees

You can make all the wood ingredients by either green houses or algae farms eventually.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Unless you are, in fact, going to chop down all those trees, you need one of the following:
1) TinyStart, that gives you a handful of bots to get those trees for you
2) Bob's Greenhouses, which require glass and thus silicon so you got to cut a few trees by hand to get the sorters started
3) Angel's Bioprocessing greenhouses/arboretums which is extremely complicated and unintuitive but makes a healthy pile of wood for your effort

For my money I go with #1 and #2 with eventual hundreds of greenhouses, eventually beaconed all to hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

thanks, I totally missed that one! I've been stockpiling glass to figure out its use. In fact, I got pretty far just with hand-choppin', trying to figure out what to do with sulfur dioxide.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Ratzap posted:

Bobs author has source access and he said in his play through videos that he released recently that he has been reworking Bobs mods for months as 0.17 took shape. I would expect his stuff will be done on day one or close to it. Angels - no idea, don't care much either.

Thanks dude.

I only really care as it relates to seablock

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Gay Hitler posted:

I have all next week so hell yeah. Not sure how long Angel's and Bob's will take to update tho :smith:

Hopefully Angel's stuff won't take too long so Trainwreck can get a 0.17 Seablock pack out quick.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

I'm getting geared up for 0.17 and thinking about which biters mod to use. I've been using natural evolution enemies for quite a while, but there's also the Rampant mod that I haven't tried. What are your thoughts on these? Assuming these mods would even work with the new update.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Later on you can turn naptha/heavy oil (depending on if you have Angel's Petrochem on or not respectively) into artificial wood planks. But until you get there without greenhouses is one of those "Ugggh" moments. I did it but only because I had a quickstart with a suit full of construction bots.

AngelBob's is entirely a test to see how many "Ugggh" moments you can survive through.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'd heavily suggest TinyStart. Especially for AngelBob's. Let you clear out forests early and also rebuild/design complex factories without pulling your hair out.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
If you're playing modded Factorio, I highly, HIGHLY recommend you also get FNEI. It works pretty much like NEI/JEI of minecraft, with all items and recipes fully integrated, showing what produces x and what x can produce, as well as what machines can do that process at what speed, and the tech required. See examples below. You can left-click on an item to see what makes it and r-click to see what it can be used for. Backspace goes back.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
0.17 is coming next week!! https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-283

(Unless something major pops up, of course.)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That new rocket silo looks great.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I like how they actually looked at the pollution and wave triggering mechanics at last. People doing deathworlds may be in for a bit of a surprise.

Dred, Drone - Wormschwitz will be no more in 0.17. As hilarious and useful as it was, things will be better without the belt sillyness.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Ratzap posted:

I like how they actually looked at the pollution and wave triggering mechanics at last. People doing deathworlds may be in for a bit of a surprise.

Dred, Drone - Wormschwitz will be no more in 0.17. As hilarious and useful as it was, things will be better without the belt sillyness.

Was it some 0.15 or 0.14 update when they did something to biters and suddenly their forums were flooded with people screaming about their bases being destroyed by huge waves of biters? I expect something similiar to happen here. :black101:

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Ratzap posted:

Can't say I've ever used it. Dunno why you would either when you can build a wall that rains lead and fire on anything that gets within a few feet of it. If anything I've always felt my perimeter wall got way too small a challenge. Maybe the pollution change will fix that. One can hope.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

TigerXtrm posted:

Can't say I've ever used it. Dunno why you would either when you can build a wall that rains lead and fire on anything that gets within a few feet of it. If anything I've always felt my perimeter wall got way too small a challenge. Maybe the pollution change will fix that. One can hope.

Just using it to keep them from wall yeah, never done that. This is Wormschwitz though, it endlessly harvests coloured alien artifacts in Bobs games (from the disturbed mind of Drone Fragger):

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Alkydere posted:

AngelBob's is entirely a test to see how many "Ugggh" moments you can survive through.

Angel's/Bob's/Seablock is one of those situations where you should go with your gut impression of it. If you haven't played enough vanilla Factorio to immediately go "hell yes!" at the complexity boost, don't try it.

quote:

So the fluid mixing prevention and fluid update optimisations are in 0.17, but the new algorithm was put aside for further research.

Well, gently caress. That was one of the things I was most looking forward to.

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 23, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually started with angelbobs, more or less, after a very brief run to get the basics of how the game worked.

It's gonna be weird playing without any mods.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So unless I'm misreading there's not anything about research recipe changes. I thought this update was supposed to be the final update for that?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They're changing basically every recipe for research except for red and green.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Vanilla seems like a solved problem whenever I play it, AngelBobs complexity keeps it interesting. Unless you get a hellstorm of bots to do your work right away, which I would recommend to sane people but I forewent for my latest run.

140 hour rocket launch with no bots or modules, but with a heap of downtime.

Bigly looking forward to the next patch and getting to use bots again!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

It took several days and three different mods to make it work but I made a rail yard with real shunting action.

It performs worse than a stacker with two unloading stations, and occasionally bugs the gently caress out but I don't care.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
What does "real shunting action" mean? :)

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Delivery train comes in to drop off, detaches from cars and parks at another spot . Then a rail yard train goes to pick up the cars for unloading. Then reverse the process to get the cars out and on the way to fill up.

It's how real train yards work.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Jesus

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

One locomotive run when

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

necrotic posted:

Delivery train comes in to drop off, detaches from cars and parks at another spot . Then a rail yard train goes to pick up the cars for unloading. Then reverse the process to get the cars out and on the way to fill up.

It's how real train yards work.

That's incredible! Thank you for the explanation. Congratulations on making that work.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Looks great, is completely pointless and probably took way too long to make. Sounds like factorio to me.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

uPen posted:

Looks great, is completely pointless and probably took way too long to make. Sounds like factorio to me.

We love it

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
"It's fun to build things" is more than enough justification to build a thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That's awesome, great job! Would it possible to get video of how it works?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Solumin posted:

That's awesome, great job! Would it possible to get video of how it works?

+1 on that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I wouldn't mind an overview of the circuit logic required for that poo poo, too. Not all the nuts and bolts, just the circuits and what they control to allow all that poo poo to happen correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

I wouldn't mind an overview of the circuit logic required for that poo poo, too. Not all the nuts and bolts, just the circuits and what they control to allow all that poo poo to happen correctly.

So at each station that requires a pair of locomotives, there's a series of sensors that determine if there are A: any cargo wagons present, B: the correct number of cargo wagons waiting, C: whether or not they contain items. From there it outputs two 16 bit values- one tracking if the station is completely empty, and one if the station meets the requirements to send a locomotive - with the corresponding bit for the track forced high. These all get summed together with the output from the other tracks and then fed into two 16-bit memory banks that generate and apply a bitmask indicating when a train is dispatched (using the dispatcher mod) to that location to prevent multiple trains going to the same location and the thundering herd of locomotives problem.

The actual dispatching of locomotives works using two clock signals, a high frequency clock running at 4Hz and a low frequency clock running at 1/4Hz. The high frequency clock is used to serialize the output of the memory banks and the low frequency clock is used as a track select to blindly iterate over each train in the waiting area.

For sending complete trains to unloading bays and stacking bays I use a similar setup but without the low frequency clock since I can just mask off the stations that I don't want the trains in that position to go to - if they're leaving the stacker I never want them to be sent back to the stacker.

Other than that it's just pathfinder abuse to make sure trains stop in the right spot since automatic coupler and dispatcher don't play nice together.

These are the three mods that are absolutely necessary to make this work:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Inventory%20Sensor
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Automatic_Coupler_016
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Dispatcher

I'll work on capturing video and providing more detailed pictures of the setup tonight.

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 23, 2019