Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
because it's worthless. next question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
diydude2New User • 6 points • submitted 1 day ago

In the not-too-distant future, You'll use Litecoin to buy your BMW and Bitcoin to buy your Lambo or house.

Nobody will want to spend Bitcoin because it will be so rare and valuable. You also might not want to disclose that you have any by spending it. Litecoin will be instantly exchangeable for Bitcoin (and vice versa) over LN so you'll be able to spend that without anyone knowing that you have Bitcoin.

Charlie's vision was a good one, and I think it's essentially the way things will play out. Bitcoin will be used for large (very large) transactions and wealth preservation. Litecoin will be used for everyday purchases.

TL;DR -- the main advantage of Litecoin over other alts is that it was designed from the outset to work with Bitcoin, not to be "the new Bitcoin" or "better than Bitcoin" or whatever outlandish claims every new shitcoin makes.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

...! posted:

diydude2New User • 6 points • submitted 1 day ago

In the not-too-distant future, You'll use Litecoin to buy your BMW and Bitcoin to buy your Lambo or house.

Nobody will want to spend Bitcoin because it will be so rare and valuable. You also might not want to disclose that you have any by spending it. Litecoin will be instantly exchangeable for Bitcoin (and vice versa) over LN so you'll be able to spend that without anyone knowing that you have Bitcoin.

Charlie's vision was a good one, and I think it's essentially the way things will play out. Bitcoin will be used for large (very large) transactions and wealth preservation. Litecoin will be used for everyday purchases.

TL;DR -- the main advantage of Litecoin over other alts is that it was designed from the outset to work with Bitcoin, not to be "the new Bitcoin" or "better than Bitcoin" or whatever outlandish claims every new shitcoin makes.

bitcoin is exempt from gresham's law because ............ reasons.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
100% of death cultists would, if given a large amount of money, invest in the death cult

death cultists confused why non death cultists with large amounts of money do not invest in the death cult

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
yeah like you've never invested in a death cult

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i have not!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Boxturret posted:

i have not!

except that one time

i was paid handsomely in corpses

does bitcoin work that way?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jonny Nox posted:

Clipping was a middle ages trick, very much NOT carried out by governments.
yeah the coin i most associate with the romans is the sesterce, which is much more appropriate as an analogue to bitcions because - as wikipedia will tell you - its name derives from the fact that it is worth two and a half buttcoins.

it's somewhat hilarious that they pinpoint coin shavings as the turning point for an empire that had basically been collapsing since a jew double-spent fish.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ghostlight posted:

yeah the coin i most associate with the romans is the sesterce, which is much more appropriate as an analogue to bitcions because - as wikipedia will tell you - its name derives from the fact that it is worth two and a half buttcoins.

it's somewhat hilarious that they pinpoint coin shavings as the turning point for an empire that had basically been collapsing since a jew double-spent fish.

i follow a bunch of actual coiners on twitter (i.e. people who love coinage) which has taught me only this -- the sesterce was a replacement for earlier coinage

as with all roman coins, before and after, the sesterce was an attempt to re-balance the problem of multiple coined metals and restore faith in the currency

i can't remember the name of the pre-republican coin the sesterce replaced but ... it was a thing.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Boxturret posted:

i have not!

:10bux:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh no

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
the sesterces replaced the bronze asses

i am not even joking here

actually, it depends on when in rome’s history you mean, because there were different coins called sesterces

you might mean the uncia

i mostly wanted to write “bronze asses” because buttcoin, so i guess i was joking, but in a thoroughly unfunny way

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 22, 2019

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

have you ever had a dream that, that, um, that you had, uh, that you had to, you could, you do, you wi-, you wou-, you could do so, you do you could, you want, you wanted bitcoin to do you so much you could do anything?

does anyone smell burning toast?

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation

Boxturret posted:

i have not!

:wrong:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

AlbieQuirky posted:

joking, but in a thoroughly unfunny way

stop biting me

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
It just hit me. And sent shivers and goosebumps down my spine for a good 20 seconds. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 5 hours ago by H1gH_EnD

The creation of bitcoin is an enormous historical event!

The impact bitcoin will have not only on the financial world but the distribution of power and therefore the course of governments, politics and the earth in general is so huge that it might change everything starting with its creation.

Who knows. Maybe future history "books" will cite the one or the other reddit post as sources. The change is coming and everybody on here is part of it.

This is my biggest motivation to be here.

flowbrother [score hidden] 3 hours ago

Yeah, I remember. It does hit you. Your brain shifts gears, everything looks and feels different, reality is heightened.

It happened to me too. I got in because my landlord and grand daughter conspired to make me pay my rent in BTC. I obliged as I could think of no excuse to resist them besides being too lazy to learn something new.

Slowly, after my first few payments, when I kept seeing the dollar value of the btc in the wallet changing, i started to become interested. I watched all of AA talks and started to read.

Then suddenly one day, it hit me. I realized that Bitcoin is the first real tool humanity has ever had to get out from under the bankster yoke we've been harnessed by for millennia. The idea of trustlessness was firmly gelled in my brain. Everywhere I looked, everything was different.

I felt like i was slipped back to now from a future reality, but had that future's perspective. The clunkiness and fog of the standard world view was gone and I could see that all of my friends were still in it.

I had updated my OS and I was on fire. I lost a lot of sleep in those days.

When your mind makes this paradigm shift, it really shifts.

I never ask for permission for anything anymore.

Welcome through, keep up the good work.

JBW_70 10 points 4 hours ago

"Who knows. Maybe future history "books" will cite the one or the other reddit post as sources."

I sure hope not. 90% of the post's here on reddit makes us all look like idiot's and retarded without having a clue how things work around us.

Tiny_Frog [score hidden] an hour ago

I agree with you!

IMHO the crypto change is en par with the internet-change. Sadly the internet protocol missed out the privacy aspect - something bad companies and governments exploit. Look at 1984:ish China... The bad control-aspects-from-internet-usage will be helped by decentralised and private cryptos.

People who think otherwise do not understand how decentralised crypto will change the world. The biggest change will come to payment-servcies (a part of many banks) and central banks (who cannot control it). The best change will be when politicians are forced to understand they cannot continue pushing the debt mountain to future generations - but that will take a few countries going bankrupt before the morons understand.

Crypto will also change so that a parent can actually save something for their children, the middle class can save for a car/apartment/house - without the value being destroyed by the annual inflation.

...!
Oct 5, 2003
Probation
of course i'm pretty sure that getting goosebumps on your spine is a legit medical emergency so that might be the final ramblings of a dying man :smith:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

...! posted:

of course i'm pretty sure that getting goosebumps on your spine is a legit medical emergency so that might be the final ramblings of a dying man :smith:

Autosensory Bitcoin Response

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

it doesn't say that :confused:

it says something even better:

the decentralized future where nobody needs to rely on a single corporation or government to transfer funds will feature a company asking the community to "give our servers a break"

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

...! posted:

suender90 1 point 12 hours ago
I wonder what are the arguments of millionaires to not buy 1BTC?

Because they can make real money. Why would they waste valuable time and energy to make Chuck E. Cheese tickets?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

Litecoin will be instantly exchangeable for Bitcoin (and vice versa) over LN so you'll be able to spend that without anyone knowing that you have Bitcoin.

unless it's somehow massively changed, that's not how the lightning network works or what it's supposed to do or... anything

... does diydude even know what a bit coin is or is he just here for the fandom

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I don't believe in anything. I'm just here for the violence.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

It just hit me. And sent shivers and goosebumps down my spine for a good 20 seconds. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 5 hours ago by H1gH_EnD

The creation of bitcoin is an enormous historical event!

The impact bitcoin will have not only on the financial world but the distribution of power and therefore the course of governments, politics and the earth in general is so huge that it might change everything starting with its creation.

Who knows. Maybe future history "books" will cite the one or the other reddit post as sources. The change is coming and everybody on here is part of it.

This is my biggest motivation to be here.

my favorite part about bitcoiners is you legitimately can't be sure that his scare quotes around the word books are there because he thinks that in the future it will all be e-books or because he thinks that education is an illuminati plot to mind control everyone or w/e

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

...! posted:

Crypto will also change so that a parent can actually save something for their children, the middle class can save for a car/apartment/house - without the value being destroyed by the annual inflation.

my normal-rear end savings account has an interest rate that's higher than inflation right now but sure whatever, inflation and government is the reason why you can't be self-sufficient, not the goddamn robber-barons of capitalism

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Shame Boy posted:

unless it's somehow massively changed, that's not how the lightning network works or what it's supposed to do or... anything

... does diydude even know what a bit coin is or is he just here for the fandom
diydude is a startlingly dim bulb in a constellation of substellar brown dwarves

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i like how despite bitcoiners having massive spine goosebumpening epiphanies every few days about how bitcoin is the most important innovation in history and will change the world none of the other bitcoiners seem to read them otherwise they'd stop having these sudden realisations independently

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i believe reddit posts will be referenced in the future, in the same way letters from the cultists at jonestown will be parsed for clues as to what can cause such a massive tragedy and what kind of mindset is required to perform such ghastly acts

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shame Boy posted:

my normal-rear end savings account has an interest rate that's higher than inflation right now but sure whatever, inflation and government is the reason why you can't be self-sufficient, not the goddamn robber-barons of capitalism

also: the government literally offers guaranteed bonds indexed to inflation

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

...! posted:

I got in because my landlord and grand daughter conspired to make me pay my rent in BTC.

p sure this constitutes elder abuse

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

kw0134 posted:

diydude is a startlingly dim bulb in a constellation of substellar brown dwarves

Does the US have the brown = nazis connotation, or is that a happy accident?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

in the us you have to make the explicit reference to "brown shirts", and even then it's expanded to include any sort of fascistic organization

so it's a happy coincidence

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

i thought those were firefly fans

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gschmidl posted:

Does the US have the brown = nazis connotation, or is that a happy accident?

p sure here our nazis hate brown so much they're trying to build a wall on the southern border

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Following the success of Auroracoin. Hitlercoin is a cryptocurrency for Germany.

Coin abbreviation HTC.

Summary:

Deutschland

Has the largest and most powerful national economy in Europe.
Population 80.6 million

Mission:

Give all 80.6 mio of our Reich Friends few Hitlercoins to start with.

http://i57.tinypic.com/105t8cl_th.jpg

Logo 2:
http://oi58.tinypic.com/zx4d4o.jpg

Coin artwork welcome post your submissions below.

Unofficial video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEGeHxF0tF4

Reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/...ing_hitlercoin/

Lyrics:

"I'll Be There For You (Theme From Hitlercoin)"

So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year, but

I'll be there for you
(Hitlercoin for you)
I'll be there for you
(Hitlercoin for you)
I'll be there for you
(Hitlercoin for you)

What users say:
http://oi62.tinypic.com/2rhr34m.jpg
http://oi58.tinypic.com/viku40.jpg

French Thread (Thanks for translation)
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=502207

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
some grey text from the grey thread

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

AlbieQuirky posted:

the sesterces replaced the bronze asses

i am not even joking here

actually, it depends on when in rome’s history you mean, because there were different coins called sesterces

you might mean the uncia

i mostly wanted to write “bronze asses” because buttcoin, so i guess i was joking, but in a thoroughly unfunny way

there's never a bad time to introduce bronze asses into a numismatics discussion

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Splicer posted:

i love ellin musk so much but i never look at any news regarding him, it would spoil the mystique

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Splicer posted:

there's so much amazing about that screenshot i don't know where to start :allears:

i think the dude just accepting "oh it's because smart contracts" is my favorite part

either that or him not realizing the entire elon musk thing was a scam, that elon musk must be giving away the free bitcoins but his just got intercepted by someone else, because elon musk wouldn't lie to me :saddowns:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

as star trek says: the wright brothers got us off the ground, elon musk got us off the earth, and zefram cochrane got us out of the solar system

why would elon musk, inventor of space travel, lie to me??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

elol musk is Satoshi Nakamoto