Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Heck yeah! Glad that Felicia's getting a chance, and congratulations, Mr MacKay. (Which reminds me, I hope that Joey Vazquez is doing more stuff at Marvel, because he killed it on DotD #2.)

site posted:

Woof, wasp was a tough read this week

I was so impressed with it - it really didn't flinch while still building to an earned hopeful note. Can't wait for the next issue!

(Comparing apples to oranges I know, but it was so much more worthwhile than what transpired in Uncanny X-Men #11. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Came here to post this. I'm kind of a sucker for the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel U., and have always like Black Cat.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Metalshark posted:

I was so impressed with it - it really didn't flinch while still building to an earned hopeful note. Can't wait for the next issue!

(Comparing apples to oranges I know, but it was so much more worthwhile than what transpired in Uncanny X-Men #11. )

Yeah, it was good, and especially refreshing after decades of unsatisfying, dopey, or straight-up ableist "Hank Pym is unstable" stories. The story about her friend's brother landed especially hard-- I was briefly in a psych ward at the end of 2016 for having similarly neglected my mental health to push myself way too hard professionally, culminating in a very stupid attempt on my own life, and everyone I knew was totally caught off guard. I'd just gotten a major award in my department, had just heard that I'd received the job I'd always dreamed of, had just passed a huge goalpost in my major project at the time, seemed happy and calm and most of all super duper productive to everybody who knew me. I remember sitting at my desk trying to figure out the specific pill dosage that would kill me when a colleague came in to talk about her dissertation-- she told me that she wished she could be as well-adjusted and pleasant about academia as me, and I was thinking, is this well-adjusted? Even my therapist felt like I'd turned a corner. I knew I should be happy, but the fact that I just wasn't made everything feel doubly bad, like I was failing to relish my own privilege and luck. And if my non-work friends weren't seeing much of me, if I was canceling plans, they weren't too concerned, I had an excuse-- work. If my wife was a little worried that I was sleeping at the office so much, again-- it was just work! It would pass. And then it didn't.

And of course being forced to get help-- or forcing myself, afterwards, to get help-- was the best thing I could have done, and having the people who loved me know where I was at was the best thing I could have done for myself and for them. And things turned around, and the whole thing gave me the push I needed to start transitioning. But only because I accepted that I wasn't living my life alone, and I had people who really, earnestly, desperately wanted to help me.

Culturally people are getting much better at noticing some of the more obvious warning signs of mental illness and of suicidal ideation, but there's still a huge issue with recognizing those symptoms in people who seem to have their poo poo together, who seem to be sailing through life. I hope that this comic book, which I mean, I hope has a healthy audience of younger readers especially, helps some people out, because it's a message that needs to be heard, and imo the Wasp team tells it well.

Edit: And I agree, it really accentuates the extent to which UXM was total hogshit. I hate hate haate stories where suicide is a plot twist or a cheap way of twisting the emotional knife, and that issue felt both unearned and largely incoherent-- as if everyone involved knew that it was totally emotionally vacant without a little bloodshed.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I love the contrast of J Scott Campbell covers and Travel Foreman interiors for Black Cat.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Yeah, it was good, and especially refreshing after decades of unsatisfying, dopey, or straight-up ableist "Hank Pym is unstable" stories. The story about her friend's brother landed especially hard-- I was briefly in a psych ward at the end of 2016 for having similarly neglected my mental health to push myself way too hard professionally, culminating in a very stupid attempt on my own life, and everyone I knew was totally caught off guard. I'd just gotten a major award in my department, had just heard that I'd received the job I'd always dreamed of, had just passed a huge goalpost in my major project at the time, seemed happy and calm and most of all super duper productive to everybody who knew me. I remember sitting at my desk trying to figure out the specific pill dosage that would kill me when a colleague came in to talk about her dissertation-- she told me that she wished she could be as well-adjusted and pleasant about academia as me, and I was thinking, is this well-adjusted? Even my therapist felt like I'd turned a corner. I knew I should be happy, but the fact that I just wasn't made everything feel doubly bad, like I was failing to relish my own privilege and luck. And if my non-work friends weren't seeing much of me, if I was canceling plans, they weren't too concerned, I had an excuse-- work. If my wife was a little worried that I was sleeping at the office so much, again-- it was just work! It would pass. And then it didn't.

And of course being forced to get help-- or forcing myself, afterwards, to get help-- was the best thing I could have done, and having the people who loved me know where I was at was the best thing I could have done for myself and for them. And things turned around, and the whole thing gave me the push I needed to start transitioning. But only because I accepted that I wasn't living my life alone, and I had people who really, earnestly, desperately wanted to help me.

Culturally people are getting much better at noticing some of the more obvious warning signs of mental illness and of suicidal ideation, but there's still a huge issue with recognizing those symptoms in people who seem to have their poo poo together, who seem to be sailing through life. I hope that this comic book, which I mean, I hope has a healthy audience of younger readers especially, helps some people out, because it's a message that needs to be heard, and imo the Wasp team tells it well.

Edit: And I agree, it really accentuates the extent to which UXM was total hogshit. I hate hate haate stories where suicide is a plot twist or a cheap way of twisting the emotional knife, and that issue felt both unearned and largely incoherent-- as if everyone involved knew that it was totally emotionally vacant without a little bloodshed.

Wow, really glad to hear you're doing much better. Just from our perspective, we're lucky to have you posting in BSS.

I didn't want to go off on UXM #11 too much lest I cheapen my praise for Unstopabble Wasp but it really did get blown out of the water. And that's not going into the latest cheap death in #12 and the just solicited death tease, which are separate issues. But I really do hope that this UW arc can help people, especially as this book has reach with schools and YA readers, as I understand it. Spider-Gwen addressing her trauma post-Spider-Geddon was also strong, and the current Jessica Jones series explores similar themes well. It's good that Marvel are moving away from Mental Illness = Villainy as society slowly gets better at addressing mental health.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Archyduchess posted:

I, for one, am glad you're still here with us :glomp:

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Re: Black Cat Chat (Noir)

Thanks guys! I was going to post about it earlier when it announced, but I hate phoneposting. I'm really pleased with what I've got planned out so far, now it's just a game to see how long we can keep the cancellation banshee at bay, haha

Metalshark posted:

(Which reminds me, I hope that Joey Vazquez is doing more stuff at Marvel, because he killed it on DotD #2.)

He is! Joey's drawing the Marvel Team-Up book Eve Ewing is writing that's starting up in April. Should be good.

Good work turning it around Archy, I'm glad you had the people around you that you needed.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, Wasp is really good. It kinda hits close to home, since I tend to push myself and rationalize my depressions away on my own, until the mental dam breaks. I just had a long talk about that last week. Honestly, I'm misserable and I know that I can't really continue like this... But I feel like I'd have to quit my job since I can't see myself going to therapy as long as I'm travelling five days each week.

I got really emotional reading that comic. It's nice to imagine that someone cares about me like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nice get on Black Cat! Looking forward to it.

Will have to pick up that Spidey issue and hope it explains how she got from Maggia crime-boss back to basics, but even if it doesn't, it's fine. Black Cat gonna Black Cat.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wanna know what blackmail Vulpes has to get all these great artists on his books.

Shame they killed off Flash Thompson. He’d make a good supporting cast member for Black Cat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Wanna know what blackmail Vulpes has to get all these great artists on his books.

Shame they killed off Flash Thompson. He’d make a good supporting cast member for Black Cat.

Oh, man. I remember when Felicia was dating Flash mostly to screw with Peter. That could be a very interesting talk.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Man, Wasp is really good. It kinda hits close to home, since I tend to push myself and rationalize my depressions away on my own, until the mental dam breaks. I just had a long talk about that last week. Honestly, I'm misserable and I know that I can't really continue like this... But I feel like I'd have to quit my job since I can't see myself going to therapy as long as I'm travelling five days each week.

I got really emotional reading that comic. It's nice to imagine that someone cares about me like that.

It'll be worth it, even if you wind up deciding to only go once every other week, or over the phone, or any number of other solutions. It's like I tell everyone-- if you even sort of suspect you'd benefit from therapy, you will definitely benefit from therapy. I know so many people for whom just having an impartial party to unload on is the beginning of really big, really good changes.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
All I can say is that after some of the deep continuity dives Vulpes pulled off in DotD (and even before that; Flag-Smasher in Spider-Punk was sublime) I am really looking forward to seeing who pops up in BLACK CAT

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

So... did I have a fever dream last night or did this week's Guardians actually bring back and try to hype up Wraith (the Annihilation Conquest one) of all characters?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

who

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Surely you joke. Everyone knows Wraith. And everyone loves Wraith. How could they not with his all black leather and poncho combo, space motorcycle, space whip-sword, space substance covering his skin that's totally not a symbiote even though it totally is, and a complete and utter lack of emotions. Also he's the only thing the bad guys actively fear.
Yup, Wraith will certainly become a popular character that will live on for decades.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Well good work everybody, I'll check out the Wasp when the trade comes out

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao return of wolverine was pointless

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hey, saw you didn't have PMs. I used to work for a global consultancy, traveled five days a week, and was (eventually) able to manage my schedule to get help with depression. If you're traveling that much, it's really hard to keep your life on an even keel no matter how skilled you are at the road life.

For an urgent need, you could say it's physical therapy and maybe do Monday mornings or even Friday afternoons depending on how long you have to travel (not that flights are that reliable Friday afternoons). If you're traveling to the same client site/city most weeks, you could seek a professional in that city instead of your home location.

I don't know anything about your situation, issues, etc., but please look at doing everything you can to get some help if you think you need it (and it sounds like you think you do). I kept telling myself that I needed to get ahead and stay ahead at work/on the road/high profile assignments, and that only accelerated my problems until I got help. If you want to hear more about my experience or need s sounding board, email me at admiraltyflag at gmail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SilverSupernova posted:

Surely you joke. Everyone knows Wraith. And everyone loves Wraith. How could they not with his all black leather and poncho combo, space motorcycle, space whip-sword, space substance covering his skin that's totally not a symbiote even though it totally is, and a complete and utter lack of emotions. Also he's the only thing the bad guys actively fear.
Yup, Wraith will certainly become a popular character that will live on for decades.

I remember a lot of people twisted themselves into knots thinking he was some sort of stealth Rom relaunch.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

All I can say is that after some of the deep continuity dives Vulpes pulled off in DotD (and even before that; Flag-Smasher in Spider-Punk was sublime) I am really looking forward to seeing who pops up in BLACK CAT

How tucking awesome is Black Cat in Spider Punk’s universe?

I also want to see Venom in Black Cat. They have history, and Brock might have some residual memories from Flash.

Put flashbacks of her with Peter when he was in the black costume on my wishlist. To be honest, I really want a book that covers 1980’s Marvel. Gray Hulk, black costume Spider-Man, Miller Daredevil, Beta Ray Bill, and Wolverine in the tan colored costume.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Infinity wars is stupid and I wish Marvel would just stop. Just stop and forget it exist.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hulkverine should not loving work. It just shouldn't, but I love this big stupid book.

Grats Vulpes, looking forward to Blackcat!

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

SilverSupernova posted:

So... did I have a fever dream last night or did this week's Guardians actually bring back and try to hype up Wraith (the Annihilation Conquest one) of all characters?

It took me a while to realise it wasn't Black Swan.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I must admit, as stoked as I am they're doing a reprint of What If? 105 that I can own, I'm trying to discern if there's some wider pattern to the choice of True Believers reprints this month. The Kraven's Last Hunt one makes sense to tie in to Hunted in ASM, for one thing. And highlighting Colleen Wing & Mist Knight makes sense on account of Daughters of the Dragon having just come out. I'm probably just engaged in tinfoil hattery, though.

I'd recommend grabbing the What If? 105 reprint, though, it actually holds up pretty great. And I'm not just saying that because I'm BSS' Designated Fan of Spider-Girl.

Congrats on the Black Cat ongoing, Vulpes Vulpes! I'm glad to see it's going to follow up on the stuff with the Thieves Guild from ASM. Does this mean there'll be a Gambit team-up down the road?

Dawgstar posted:

Nice get on Black Cat! Looking forward to it.

Will have to pick up that Spidey issue and hope it explains how she got from Maggia crime-boss back to basics, but even if it doesn't, it's fine. Black Cat gonna Black Cat.
Felicia actually showed up in an arc of ASM (#8-#10) already covers that stuff, if you want to get caught up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

I remember a lot of people twisted themselves into knots thinking he was some sort of stealth Rom relaunch.

That's because he was named as Rom in some Marvel advance solicit copy.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

Congrats on the Black Cat ongoing, Vulpes Vulpes! I'm glad to see it's going to follow up on the stuff with the Thieves Guild from ASM. Does this mean there'll be a Gambit team-up down the road?

Holy crap, I really want her and Gambit to team up. Any such occurrence would likely depend on how the Thieves Guild story coming up in MMX plays out, but we deserve Felicia and Remy in the same book in 20-bi-teen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Metalshark posted:

Holy crap, I really want her and Gambit to team up. Any such occurrence would likely depend on how the Thieves Guild story coming up in MMX plays out, but we deserve Felicia and Remy in the same book in 20-bi-teen.

Is Gambit canonically bi or is it one of those things we all just know.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Is Gambit canonically bi or is it one of those things we all just know.

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/14/x-men-member-gambit-was-supposed-to-be-bisexual-writer-reveals/ - during Asmus' run it was vetoed (by a gay editor) for non-nefarious reasons.

I also submit Gambit Vol.2 #2 as evidence, where he flirts with a hunky Italian priest who gave him CPR:

"Your bedside manner needs work, doc. I t'ink I liked it better when you were kissin' me." - I admit that Remy does then shag the nun. (He does not know she is a nun at the time.)

If anyone isn't convinced yet, this is his internal monologue as he was almost dead from gunshots/drowning prior to the aforementioned CPR:

"Strong hands, powerful lungs. Italian, a particularly good year if I'm not mistaken... an' me wit'out a breat'mint."

Not officially, but...

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Metalshark posted:

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2018/01/14/x-men-member-gambit-was-supposed-to-be-bisexual-writer-reveals/ - during Asmus' run it was vetoed (by a gay editor) for non-nefarious reasons.

I also submit Gambit Vol.2 #2 as evidence, where he flirts with a hunky Italian priest who gave him CPR:

"Your bedside manner needs work, doc. I t'ink I liked it better when you were kissin' me." - I admit that Remy does then shag the nun. (He does not know she is a nun at the time.)

If anyone isn't convinced yet, this is his internal monologue as he was almost dead from gunshots/drowning prior to the aforementioned CPR:

"Strong hands, powerful lungs. Italian, a particularly good year if I'm not mistaken... an' me wit'out a breat'mint."

Not officially, but...

Hell yeah, thank you. Is Vol.2 the Nicieza one or is that still Howard Mackie---?

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

Archyduchess posted:

Hell yeah, thank you. Is Vol.2 the Nicieza one or is that still Howard Mackie---?

Mackie. It's honestly a weird mini, which is a shame because I have such a fondness for his first Gambit mini and the Rogue mini. Bill Sienkiewicz inks the last two issues though, elevating them above the strange religious story.

Bonus dramatic gay Remy:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I am sorry everybody, but after the latest Unstoppable Wasp issue I must conclude that it is the only good comic right now.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Rhyno posted:

That's because he was named as Rom in some Marvel advance solicit copy.
I don't remember this at all, I remember people theorizing that he was ROM (based 90% on the name Wraith, I feel) but he's definitely not mentioned as Rom or anything related to Rom in the solicitations from the time. Even interviews with the writer suggest otherwise:

"One Interview posted:

So Bill Rosemann and I got to talking about creating a new cosmic hero. Bill came into this with the idea of a horror character - something to counterbalance the overall technocratic sheen of cosmic heroes - as well as the name, which has been used in the Marvel Universe before but was currently lying fallow. I came into it with the idea of a "space cowboy," and, well, what can I tell you?

"Another Interview posted:

Many readers have been wondering just exactly who Wraith is. Based on the character's name, some have theorized that the character is related to the old foes of Rom, the Dire Wraiths. "He's not a Dire Wraith," Grillo-Marxuach said. "He's coming from a new place in the cosmic mythology. We wanted to do a character that had sort of been raised outside of the mainstream cosmic universe. He's a Kree by birth, but he's also many other things by virtue of where his travels took him.

I also remember this being a rumor, but I don't remember it being based on anything but wishful thinking.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

I am sorry everybody, but after the latest Unstoppable Wasp issue I must conclude that it is the only good comic right now.

It was kind of a hard read. In a good way, mind.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edge & Christian posted:

I don't remember this at all, I remember people theorizing that he was ROM (based 90% on the name Wraith, I feel) but he's definitely not mentioned as Rom or anything related to Rom in the solicitations from the time. Even interviews with the writer suggest otherwise:

I also remember this being a rumor, but I don't remember it being based on anything but wishful thinking.

I can't find it but the retailer forums used to have a lot of leaked stuff posted, (like Elektra is a Skrull months early) and Wraith is Rom was from that same dude. I probably posted about seeing it there at the time.
It is entirely possible it was just BS he was floating along, a lot of his rumors did fizzle out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seems like West Coast Avengers is done.
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/1099112449796534273

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Oh, that's a bummer.

Hopefully it gets a second lease of life a la Unstoppable Wasp.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I just need Marvel to cancel (please don't Marvel) X-23 and Mr and Mrs X, and then I'm almost done with Marvel entirely. Squirrel Girl will never be canceled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

IUG posted:

I guess I just need Marvel to cancel (please don't Marvel) X-23 and Mr and Mrs X, and then I'm almost done with Marvel entirely. Squirrel Girl will never be canceled.

It better not be!