Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ettin posted:

From what I remember he knew my name because he hung out with the RPGsite crew, and they were making a big deal out of realising that I'd put my name on my old blog. I don't remember anyone going after me after the Mearls thing much but then Zak has always preferred more vulnerable people :v:

I can imagine he still goes to sleep muttering under his breath about 'That Time Zak S Made a Harassment Blog.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ok, thanks. I went back and searched through "Mandy's" posts and that was the first time you and Mikan had names named.

E: Knowing that he was actually writing these all along adds such a layer of filth to him. He kept deflecting to "Mandy accidentally deadnaming someone" - after he himself "accidentally" did it in her name, because whoops she's just a dumb girl what can you expect.

moths fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 22, 2019

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I posted some good alternative fantasy games

Thank you for this! Inverse World, given the reviews, looks really cool. As soon as I get 25 bux to chuck at a thing, I may give it a whirl.

When I click Fellowship, it takes me to the Inverse World page, so I presume they're one in the same?

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 22, 2019

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
If any of you recall, back in late 2018 there was this livestream eSports group called D&D Sports. It's first tourney was rather rough, so I figured to hop on over and see if they've improved any.

Their Twitch and Twitter have been inactive for a while.

On Twitch they have not made any new videos this year.

On Twitter their last post was in January 6th.

Unless they have something big cooking, it feels like there's a fair chance this enterprise is dead in the water.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Thank you for this! Inverse World, given the reviews, looks really cool. As soon as I get 25 bux to chuck at a thing, I may give it a whirl.

When I click Fellowship, it takes me to the Inverse World page, so I presume they're one in the same?

Different games, both insanely cool. Same author.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Saxophone posted:

Fellowship and Inverse World are both games made by Gnome under his Liberi Gothica Games label. Inverse World is a straight Dungeon World expansion with classes and a unique setting. Fellowship is a separate PbtA game based on Dungeon World/Inverse World but with unique mechanics. Gnome is currently working on an Inverse Fellowship game that brings Inverse World classes more in line with Fellowship's rules. He's putting out details on this on his thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3880156

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Is there really a specific rule about that or are you guys taking the piss?

Can... can I see the wording?

I went looking for this, and I think rather than a formal rule, this is a conflation of the time Venger posted a ritual hex to bring harm to those speaking ill of one of his books (hex, official ban, and a ball-busting unban; don’t worry, he managed to get banned again for a different dumb thing), and another time a mod told someone *else* to stop casting spells.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I just want to say that Fellowship is the most fun I've had with a D&D-alike. Ever. It won't tag your tactical itch but it's freaking great as an epic fantasy game.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
If I were going to play a rules light game at all, it would probably be Fellowship.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Parkreiner posted:

I went looking for this, and I think rather than a formal rule, this is a conflation of the time Venger posted a ritual hex to bring harm to those speaking ill of one of his books (hex, official ban, and a ball-busting unban; don’t worry, he managed to get banned again for a different dumb thing), and another time a mod told someone *else* to stop casting spells.

You would not believe how disappointed I am right now.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hah, I clicked on that tweet calling out pundit's ableism and the first reply twitter shows is the zweihander guy shilling zweihander. Always be shilling.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

gradenko_2000 posted:

roll20's sheets are all horridly unfriendly web-forms, and I still do all my character sheets on a spreadsheet or something because I actually have control over how it's laid out.

Let alone if you want to, say, add the ability to click a button to cast a spell, subtracting resource costs etc. But that sounds complicated! What if you want to show or hide information based on dynamic values? Well, your best and only option is to use hidden option buttons and CSS hackery. Lord loving help you the moment you want to do anything even the slightest bit more tricky.

e: to be clear I get why you can't just run arbitrary Javascript, it's just that the limits on what you can do are so crushing that it sucks the wind out of my desire to fiddle with the system any further.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

CaptCommy posted:

Where at? I haven't read it cover to cover but I don't remember coming across anything like that.

The Occultist is prefaced with a passage about how the singular they isn't a proper thing to refer to a distinct/known individual.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Razorwired posted:

The Occultist is prefaced with a passage about how the singular they isn't a proper thing to refer to a distinct/known individual.

God this is the dumbest hill for anybody to plant their flag on in 2019, especially since multiple primary linguistic sources have by now weighed in on the point and said "actually singular they has been around for centuries."

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Singular they is awful, but it's what we deserve for letting the you / thou distinction fall out of use. :colbert:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Look buddy if you're going to take some of Shakespeare's colloquialisms as legitimate you have to accept all of them.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Singular they is awful, but it's what we deserve for letting the you / thou distinction fall out of use. :colbert:
Singular they is too familiar, for more formal language you use the singular yey.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Look buddy if you're going to take some of Shakespeare's colloquialisms as legitimate you have to accept all of them.
Literally nothing wrong with this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Singular they is too familiar, for more formal language you use the singular yey.

Literally nothing wrong with this.
Yey art, or "yeet" for short

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just wish RPG writers would stop trying to editorialize about pronouns when they're demonstrably incorrect about it. If you're going to be a pedantic nerd then get it right, otherwise you're just making it clear that your goal is to be an rear end in a top hat.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
'Being a pedantic nerd but actually being wrong about whatever it is you're being pedantic about' is pretty much nerd behaviour 101.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Jimbozig posted:

Hah, I clicked on that tweet calling out pundit's ableism and the first reply twitter shows is the zweihander guy shilling zweihander. Always be shilling.

The only way to stop Shillhander guy from hawking his WFRP knockoff at every opportunity would probably be to make a lovely Zweihander clone and shill that even more aggressively.

ZWEIHANDERFINDER - DARK & GRITTY RPG will be available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Target, Walmart, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Starbucks, Tesco, all used car dealerships and your local hot dog stand sometime in 2019.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

We pretty much already did.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've seen your avatar before, but having only just played and completed Subnautica in the past week your avatar literally gave me a jolt of atavistic fear just now.

God that game is so good

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

:thejoke:

People who get bent out of shape about singular "they" tend to not have any issue with say the word "assassination" or using "elbow" as a verb.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Jimbozig posted:

Poor Zweihander guy, his big hope was that WFRP 4E would be bad (from a "I like and prefer WFRP 1-2E over 3E/some other system for WFRP" perspective) and whoops, it's actually quite good.

I remember he stumbled into a FB group I was on and started (either directly or through a sockpuppet, I forget) wittering about the WFRP 4E material not being inclusive... when there's a prominent woman and a prominent PoC on the cover of WFRP 4E, whilst on the front cover of Zweihander you have 4 white characters, and the one who's a woman used to be a man until he photoshopped in a different face after early criticism.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Libertad! posted:

Unless they have something big cooking, it feels like there's a fair chance this enterprise is dead in the water.

Imagine one's surprise that the organization that thought Boogie was a big 'get' failing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

:thejoke:

People who get bent out of shape about singular "they" tend to not have any issue with say the word "assassination" or using "elbow" as a verb.

English has always been the Calvinball of languages at any rate.

I'm not sure about inflicting it onto other languages like with 'latinx' mind, but that's a different debate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

English has always been the Calvinball of languages at any rate.

I'm not sure about inflicting it onto other languages like with 'latinx' mind, but that's a different debate.

If you think English hasnt been brutally inflicted on other languages you need to come to my works meetings.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I know that part of the resistance to Latinx is that Spanish is a long established language, and really why should people care that Americans want you to realize the thing you call yourself is wrong.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I know that part of the resistance to Latinx is that Spanish is a long established language, and really why should people care that Americans want you to realize the thing you call yourself is wrong.

and portuguese

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

BinaryDoubts posted:

I have read it and put a frankly stupid amount of work into making a roll20 sheet (lesson learned: gently caress doing anything complicated with roll20). I think it's interesting but I'm not sure I'd ever run it. The classes are all mechanically distinct (similar to how 13th Age does it) and it's a beautiful book, but the lore is completely uninteresting and it could have used another editing pass on the rules, which I found to be a bit scattered. My overall opinion is "neat" but like I said, not sure I'll ever get around to running it.

The lore really falls into the trap of "too much wordcount on historical crap that won't impact play much, not enough on the actual societies". I liked some of the bits about the individual races, like touching on how the psychic race was coping with the loss of their connection or how the phage victims built their society around replacement parts. But the book spent like, 3-4 pages touching on those parts and then page after page about how the gods created each race and what they thought of them and blah blah blah blah.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This is what you get for having gendered pronouns in the first place :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Andrast posted:

This guy gets it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

any issue with say the word "assassination"

Maybe it's because I haven't had coffee yet, but what's wrong with "assassination"? ("They" is fine.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

CitizenKeen posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't had coffee yet, but what's wrong with "assassination"? ("They" is fine.)

Nothing, except that it is a nouning of a verbing of a noun derived from a misunderstanding of another language's derogatory term about drug-using in a specific religious group. And this is now standard English.

So to say: nothing but it is considerably more nonsense than singular they.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That sounds more like you have a problem with the etymology than its usage.

I'm not a fan of singular "they," but I'll call people whatever they prefer.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Andrast posted:

As a Latina trans woman who has had to deal with being referred to with -o even after I transitioned, yep. gently caress that poo poo. Latinx works just fine.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

moths posted:

That sounds more like you have a problem with the etymology than its usage.

I'm not a fan of singular "they," but I'll call people whatever they prefer.

The point is that they're both totally valid, extremely longstanding uses of English. Singular they has better pedigree than 'assassination'.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

A few pages back but; I hate the fetishising of things like mugshot websites or a free local paper that is nothing but mugshots and whatever crimes were reported the day before, full names included. Besides the fact that some of the crimes are "had weed" or "loudly criticized or argued with shitbag at public venue", being arrested doesn't mean you're guilty of a crime, only accused. You're not guilty until the judge or jury says so. These mugshot websites often will never remove your picture unless you pay them money or sue them, even if you were found not guilty or even arrested under false pretenses. Lots of people want to look down on criminals forever, even if they've served their time.

On the other hand, I have no issue with naming, shaming, and publicly displaying people like Zak S., so that others will know him and make it harder to sink into the muck and return later. Has he had a trial and been found guilty? No. Is there any reason not to believe his accusers and ban him from everything? Also no.

I guess that makes me a hypocrite and I'm fine with that. Burn the disease out and make it better for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Desiden posted:

The lore really falls into the trap of "too much wordcount on historical crap that won't impact play much, not enough on the actual societies". I liked some of the bits about the individual races, like touching on how the psychic race was coping with the loss of their connection or how the phage victims built their society around replacement parts. But the book spent like, 3-4 pages touching on those parts and then page after page about how the gods created each race and what they thought of them and blah blah blah blah.

A lot of games really suffer from that, the idea should be to present the 'here' and 'now' of the setting, what the players are actually going to interact with, and most good game fluff does exactly that.