Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The main flaw of the Arranged album is that it lacks Decisive Battle 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

And Battle II. :(

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Break-side Battle 2 would've been cool as heck. I love DB2 but we didn't really need it twice.

Also Victor's Hollow.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I'm not getting my album for a week or so but if it was just battle at journey's end over and over I'd be happy enough.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Not to sound like a complete idiot but how do I deal with the sacred flame boss at the beginning of ophilias story? I keep dying because I can't attack his minions and he'll myself fast enough. I have a sword follower to summon but it's not enough.

Edit: yep, nevermind. As soon as I ask the internet I figure it out.

Kingtheninja fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 22, 2019

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Guide the NPC in Flamesgrace tavern that has the multihit wind skill. He brakes the boss's shields fast.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Oh god I am at the final fight with Galdera and it mopped the floor with my crew. I didn't know it would use all 8 heroes. Now my party and equipment set up is all out of whack. What level should all my heroes be for this? Any tips?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Waffleopolis posted:

Oh god I am at the final fight with Galdera and it mopped the floor with my crew. I didn't know it would use all 8 heroes. Now my party and equipment set up is all out of whack. What level should all my heroes be for this? Any tips?

I finished my run between 63 and 67, I think I started right around 60 or so.

Did you find the advanced jobs?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If you’ve got all four of the advanced jobs, grind up everyone to unlock the permanent Attack and Defense boost passives. You’re also going to want everyone to have the Cleric passive that lets you overheal, and your final slot for your damage dealers should have the Warrior passive that removes the damage cap (MAYBE minus the Sorcerer, since it’s unlikely that each individual hit is going to hit for 10k without some setup).

You’re also going to want to ensure that both parties have a Cleric and an Apothecary. The Cleric is self-explanatory, and the Apothecary can cast Dohter’s Charity on someone so that they can spam BP-restoring items on the entire party.

Also, the difficulty for the final boss is pretty frontloaded, IMO; if you’ve got a Warmaster in the second part, it’s almost hilariously easy if you make sure that they have a constant flow of BP coming in so they can spam their ultimate.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Here's my lineup: Tressa (first pick, 76), Cyrus (77), Alfyn (75), Primrose (67), Olberic (60), Therion (57), H'aanit (49), Ophilia (53). My main cast was just Tressa/Cyrus/Alfyn with a rotating 4th slot so 3 of them are way stronger than the rest. I...also gave every nut I came across to Tressa not knowing the late-game stuff and the end fight... I also sold some armors and weapons thinking the same thing so now I gotta buy some high-end ones via shops (I do one all the battle-tested stuff too).... aaaand I've done pretty much every side quest too....I really hope I didn't gum this up.

As far as jobs, go, I got all 12 and I can use my Sorcerer Cyrus to carry my lower level guys into Forest or Purgnation and grind the poo poo out of them since I have the EXP and JP items and skills. Hopefully I can set up the whole cast to fight the final boss with ease.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I mean, those levels should be totally fine, the party make up and jobs (and passives) will really determine if you win or get stomped.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Yeah. I'm reading up on a strategy and I hope I can pull it off. I'm just more worried about my equipment at the moment..

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If you have the highest def/mdef stuff, you should be fine.

Someone put together a spreadsheet of all the items and equipment and I just scoured that to make sure I had the best stuff.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I beat it! The final boss music is beautiful. I really hope a sequel is in the future. There a few things they could touch up on like side quests, but overall it was a fantastic game. :)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

I beat it! The final boss music is beautiful. I really hope a sequel is in the future. There a few things they could touch up on like side quests, but overall it was a fantastic game. :)

Congrats!!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Things I learned from Octopath Traveler:

1.) Tressa is the best
2.) There's still things need improving on such rear end map icons for shops/inns/taverns, ability to see and have record of all teammate conversations
3.) Have the last end-game stuff be its own chapter to find things easier like the main chapters.
4.) Check your local library to see if they have Switch games to check out because that's the reason why I was able to play it while jobless and broke.
5.) Tressa for Smash.

Seriously hope there's a sequel. Such a fun RPG. :D

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Waffleopolis posted:

Things I learned from Octopath Traveler:

1.) Tressa is the best
2.) There's still things need improving on such rear end map icons for shops/inns/taverns, ability to see and have record of all teammate conversations
3.) Have the last end-game stuff be its own chapter to find things easier like the main chapters.
4.) Check your local library to see if they have Switch games to check out because that's the reason why I was able to play it while jobless and broke.
5.) Tressa for Smash.

Seriously hope there's a sequel. Such a fun RPG. :D

Agree with everything you said. I would also prefer being able to swap out the starting character before finishing their story.

And yeah, making banters not missable and not forcing us to run back to the Tavern.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Agreed as well! More Party Banter and making it more easily accessible would be great - and I'd love if they did what other games did and just assumed you had the whole party travelling with you even if they weren't in your party.

My local library is pretty great too. It's also been pretty good at picking up physical releases of various indie games too which I've liked too.

They even post reservation data before things come out so you can pick things up from the library somewhat close to release. Sometimes just two weeks after? I love my library.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Octopath Traveler: Champions of the Continent announced for iOS and Android

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB0ECPgcob8

Interesting direction, though combat kinda has me worried a bit (All the Octopaths?). One of the screenshots has a couple options though so maybe it'll have more depth than the video suggests.

Also the next console game is still in development and won't be seen anytime soon.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 8, 2019

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Wow, 8 person combat seems like it would be overwhelming.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why they waste time on that instead of porting Bravely Default to the Switch?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

"We already have all these resources, may as well force something else out." 8 person combat could get broken as gently caress especially if they just lazily carry over all the classes for OT1.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
1.5m copies sold for a game that was likely developed and budgeted with the expectation/hope of moving a couple hundred thousand units. I hope Octopath 2 is to Octopath Traveller as Suikoden 2 was to Suikoden: nothing new and fancy, just fine tuning the systems while putting out an extremely good story and fun content.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Evil Fluffy posted:

1.5m copies sold for a game that was likely developed and budgeted with the expectation/hope of moving a couple hundred thousand units. I hope Octopath 2 is to Octopath Traveller as Suikoden 2 was to Suikoden: nothing new and fancy, just fine tuning the systems while putting out an extremely good story and fun content.

Never underestimate Square Enix's tendency to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

But yes, I hope the sequel is kind of more of the same.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
first party wipe at the boss of the quicksand cave. holy smokes. i beat the guy first instead of the snake and it did not go well.

is danger level the same as recommended character level for that area?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay, the Starseer kicked the poo poo out of my team. She increased her number of moves per turn to three then used some insane random target multi-hit move that slaughtered my party. If there any good way to mitigate it? I know reflective veil helps. Should I just give Ophelia a ton of BP every turn and give her that special buff that makes single-target buffs effect the whole team, then use max boost reflective veil over and over? I can’t remember which class has that as its special skill.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Molybdenum posted:

first party wipe at the boss of the quicksand cave. holy smokes. i beat the guy first instead of the snake and it did not go well.

is danger level the same as recommended character level for that area?

Pretty much. A few areas can feel a bit overtuned if you don't come in with strong equipment, though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I picked this up for the first time since July and started into chapter 3 quests. I still enjoy the combat and exploring dungeons, but hoo boy I forgot how wordy the story bits are. I was lol'ing at Olberic internal monologuing on the battlefield as he realized for whom he fought now that his dumb king is dead.

This game is a perfect Netflix companion app.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay, the Starseer kicked the poo poo out of my team. She increased her number of moves per turn to three then used some insane random target multi-hit move that slaughtered my party. If there any good way to mitigate it? I know reflective veil helps. Should I just give Ophelia a ton of BP every turn and give her that special buff that makes single-target buffs effect the whole team, then use max boost reflective veil over and over? I can’t remember which class has that as its special skill.

Starseer was the hardest for me, since she's the most resistant to cheesing strategies.

But yes, Dancer Divine Skill and Reflective Veil will do a lot of work in that fight. You also might want to try poisoning her.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I managed to kill Starseer with only Sorceror unlocked by abusing the dancer and cleric divine skills and reflective veil. But as my dancer and cleric were the same person I had to go on the offensive for most of the battle. Also had Saving Grace equipped for everyone which made tanking the spells quite a bit easier. Ended up making it by the skin of my teeth with only Cyrus alive.

No idea how i'm going to manage Runelord without any pomegranates.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Always be doing the Hannity foottrap so any boss goes last too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Astrochicken posted:

I managed to kill Starseer with only Sorceror unlocked by abusing the dancer and cleric divine skills and reflective veil. But as my dancer and cleric were the same person I had to go on the offensive for most of the battle. Also had Saving Grace equipped for everyone which made tanking the spells quite a bit easier. Ended up making it by the skin of my teeth with only Cyrus alive.

No idea how i'm going to manage Runelord without any pomegranates.

Warrior Tressa with Sidestep/Incite. The first part of the fight is cake.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Was fighting the super-duper-final-boss, and holy hell.
For the first phase, I had Sorcerer Cyrus, Starseer Ophelia, Warmaster Olberic, and Warrior Haanit. This let me hit the adds all at once for massive damage, to kill them all quickly.
It was working well, and I got it down to red, until the Eye used Consume Soul. I didn't manage to kill it, and it used it's first three action round to petrify and one-shot Cyrus. Apparently, if a petrified character is killed, they're gone for the rest of the battle! Didn't last long after that, I was dependent on Auspices on Sorcerer to break it.

We're at low 60s, level-wise. Should I be higher? Or was my strategy just not good enough.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

So what's a good overall party now that I've just picked up everyone? Ophilia is my main, and I've typically been rocking cyrus Therion and whoever the newest member is. Felt like a decent balance but I don't know how job change affects the makeup either.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My party is always changing. My approach is to always have as large of an assortment of spells/weapons as possible because breaking enemies is priority #1. It should be noted I'm not into min/max. I'm about half way through chapter 3 and things are going just fine for me.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you want to do post-game stuff, it's better to rotate your characters since the final boss requires all eight characters. If you're not going to bother with that, then just go with your favorites. As long as you have a Cleric or Alfyn for party-wide healing (non-issue for an Ophilia main, of course) and keep up-to-date with your gear, you can tackle the story stuff easily enough.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I would recommend looking up a “party chat guide” and changing your party around based on that. It adds otherwise missing flavor and connections between the characters.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Nice, thanks everyone!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Is there a mobile friendly version of that spreadsheet that has all the information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Some Numbers posted:

Is there a mobile friendly version of that spreadsheet that has all the information?

Does it have side quest info? I need a good side quest guide.