Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How did "Jap" wind up being filed in the racist /insensitive category, but Jerry and Hun did not?

At least I think they didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

bewbies posted:

How did "Jap" wind up being filed in the racist /insensitive category, but Jerry and Hun did not?

Because racism? Attitudes against the Japanese during WWII was far stronger in the US than against Germans.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Nazis are the same race as american racists so idk how that'd work

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

bewbies posted:

Germans are white and you can't really be racist against white people

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

bewbies posted:

Visible ethnicity and what the dominant racial profile in the US is. Germans are, in an American context, a pretty mainstream ethnicity. What’s more it’s easy enough to pass off as non German if it became a problem. Less so for Japanese people.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I mean, I know the simple answer is "racism" but I'm curious if anyone has ever studied the deeper etymology of the words. Like, at what point did "Jap" get filed as racist? It had to transition up some points from a generic word used to describe Japanese people in wartime into an unacceptable pejorative ,but I can't tell when that was, or why it happened.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uh, have you ever called a German 'Jerry' or 'Hun' to their face? It would be pretty racist.

e: I mean all three terms are anachronistic which is why you don't hear them being used much (as well as, well, because they're racist), but 'Jerry' and 'Hun' aren't contractions of 'German', they're wartime specific references to the German Army and anti-german propaganda which is why probably they vanish from use pretty quickly after the war.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Do people even use "Jerry" or "Hun" these days?

You can actually be bigoted against white people, just ask any European about their neighbours.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Siivola posted:

You can actually be bigoted against white people, just ask any European about their neighbours.

Or the Japanese about anyone not Japanese.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It was always a pejorative, right alongside nips. It just flew under the radar for a while because racism against Asians wasn’t as high profile an issue as the legacy of slavery. That said, when my grandfather would choose to say “jap” vs “Japanese” it was really loving obvious what the underlying sentiment of each term was.

poo poo falls out of favor and becomes more socially unacceptable but that doesn’t mean it was a harmless term. Middle schoolers calling each other “fag” in the 90s weren’t harmlessly and innocently using the term, but that sort of behavior is just less acceptable now.

To really see this in action pull some archives GBS thread from 2002 or so.

Edit: and yeah krauts was always a pejorative too. It’s just that they came out as part of the dominant white class. When my German great grandma complained about “dirty pollacks” she wasn’t exactly being an enlightened person but a hundred years on no one gives a poo poo about the difference between people of German and Polish descent. Not so much with groups that are visibly different.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 22, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bewbies posted:

Like, at what point did "Jap" get filed as racist? It had to transition up some points from a generic word used to describe Japanese people in wartime into an unacceptable pejorative ,but I can't tell when that was, or why it happened.

Did it? I'm not sure there was ever a point when 'Paki' wasn't straight up racist, as a similar example.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Prince of Wales was penetrating the armour on Bismark and unlike Hood, had proper battleship armour and wasn't going to lose a magazine. There were also a bunch of torpedo-armed cruisers just outside of the action which would have dived straight into combat because cruiser commanders are psychos too. The British would probably have lost PoW if Bismark gave an intense pursuit, but I don't think the Germans would have just had light damage.

Returning to Norway would also mean sailing towards the Home Fleet, which was sortieing with KGV and the carrier Victorious, who were part of the final battlegroup that sunk the Bismark. Not really the best outlook for Lutjens either. I think he was doomed.

Like I said, in Hindsight. He was probably doomed either way, but PoW had severe teething problems, and Bismarck was a battleship too, and could penetrate PoW and did. Lutjens was not the admiral that should have led that operation.

In the opening minutes, Lutjens didn't even open fire until Lindemann (Bismarck's captain) replied with "I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!". After Hood was destroyed, Bismarck and Prinz Eugen definitely had the upper hand in that engagement, they both had PoW's range and there were multiple guns out on PoW. Lindemann wanted to chase the PoW whereas Lutjens wanted to follow his orders to 'sink convoys'. Except it doesn't make any sense. You aren't an AMC commerce raider. Your battleship has a fuel leak and the entire British navy is after you. What convoy is going to blunder into your path? Raeder ordered Lütjens to be bold and imaginative, to accept battle if unavoidable and conduct it vigorously to the finish. So finish off the PoW and try to head back home. Its the only logical choice that made sense.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

feedmegin posted:

Did it? I'm not sure there was ever a point when 'Paki' wasn't straight up racist, as a similar example.

I think it used to be way more offensive in the UK than it is here in the US. The Pakistanis I knew growing up would just use it to save syllables here and there with no issue. Probably because pre 9/11 America didn't know/care enough about Pakistanis to be racist against them specifically.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder how much it cost to get an orange to 17th century Cracow or whereever that guy was hanging

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJhp9zA1EE

I just discovered that the Liberty ship SS John W. Brown is fully restored and undertakes regular 6-hour cruises out of Baltimore if you'd like to grab a ticket and set sail like it's 1944. Their website says period clothing is encouraged!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Do people even use "Jerry" or "Hun" these days?

Historians who research the "Huns" and everyone who has to deal with people named Jerry. :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Oranges already really looked like oranges back then compared to watermelons, which looked seriously freaky for a while

https://hyperallergic.com/226096/the-evolution-of-the-watermelon-captured-in-still-lifes/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Saint Celestine posted:

Like I said, in Hindsight. He was probably doomed either way, but PoW had severe teething problems, and Bismarck was a battleship too, and could penetrate PoW and did. Lutjens was not the admiral that should have led that operation.

In the opening minutes, Lutjens didn't even open fire until Lindemann (Bismarck's captain) replied with "I'm not letting my ship get shot out from under my arse. Open fire!". After Hood was destroyed, Bismarck and Prinz Eugen definitely had the upper hand in that engagement, they both had PoW's range and there were multiple guns out on PoW. Lindemann wanted to chase the PoW whereas Lutjens wanted to follow his orders to 'sink convoys'. Except it doesn't make any sense. You aren't an AMC commerce raider. Your battleship has a fuel leak and the entire British navy is after you. What convoy is going to blunder into your path? Raeder ordered Lütjens to be bold and imaginative, to accept battle if unavoidable and conduct it vigorously to the finish. So finish off the PoW and try to head back home. Its the only logical choice that made sense.

Given what kinda guy Raeder was I'm gratified to know his subordinates were similar

Actually, why did Priez Eugen separate from the Bismark? The Eugen commerce raiding while the entire RN is after the Bismark I can sorta see, until I remember the Bismark doesn't have FTL drives to escape the RN with and it's gonna get killed

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I'm not sure if this is racist, but isn't this the Mao Zedong anime, and doesn't he look like a white guy?

Dance Officer fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 22, 2019

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure that's Karl Marx from the Chinese animated series about his life.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
That would explain it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's Marx.

Thinking about our own forever war, was the Roman Empire also continuously conducting low-intensity foreign adventures, or did they have significant periods of peace where no one was actively campaigning?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Given what kinda guy Raeder was I'm gratified to know his subordinates were similar

Actually, why did Priez Eugen separate from the Bismark? The Eugen commerce raiding while the entire RN is after the Bismark I can sorta see, until I remember the Bismark doesn't have FTL drives to escape the RN with and it's gonna get killed

Prinz Eugen separated from Bismarck because Bismarck lost her rudder to a biplane carrying torpedoes and was completely unmanuverable, and only steering in circles and proper hosed

Prior to the torpedoing, Bismarck only had a fuel leak, and was otherwise undamaged (minor superficial PoW hits notwithstanding).

Bismarck actually may as well have had FTL drives. She could make 27/28 knots and would likely have reached Brest if not for the rudder hit.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 22, 2019

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Siivola posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Karl Marx from the Chinese animated series about his life.

Look at that style of clearly mid 19th century tie for one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

zoux posted:

That's Marx.

Thinking about our own forever war, was the Roman Empire also continuously conducting low-intensity foreign adventures, or did they have significant periods of peace where no one was actively campaigning?

Constantly campaigning, particularly along the German frontier. Expeditions over the Rhine to divide, support, or punish the tribes there (and prevent them from uniting against Rome) were extremely common. When you see big incursions into Roman territory, it's usually because the army has been too busy dealing with internecine conflict to effectively manage the groups across the frontier.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder how much it cost to get an orange to 17th century Cracow or whereever that guy was hanging

What is this a reference to? I've ctrl+f'd orange for like 10 pages back and see no mention of them.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is this a reference to? I've ctrl+f'd orange for like 10 pages back and see no mention of them.
classicsthread

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

yeah I just decided to read that thread again after being dressed down for saying something weird like five months ago (I am a tender soul) and there's this paragraph plus several more that are even better:

Guildencrantz posted:

For dumbest elected head of state I nominate Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki, elected King of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth from 1669-1673. Elected on his dad's popularity and intended to be a weak ruler who wouldn't threaten noble power, he was a complete puppet of the Habsburgs and did nothing but enjoy luxuries of the court and get involved in petty power struggles against various nobles. He was said to "speak eight languages and have nothing to say in any of them". His primary interest in life was food and his only notable achievement was the ability to stuff record amounts of oranges into his face in one sitting.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

oystertoadfish posted:

yeah I just decided to read that thread again after being dressed down for saying something weird like five months ago (I am a tender soul) and there's this paragraph plus several more that are even better:

aw poo poo guys, google his picture :xd:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

You all know how Patton was sure he was Caesar in a previous life?

Yeah. I think I just found myself.

Lazy? Over educated? Contributes nothing to society except gluttony and bar tricks?

It's like looking into a mirror.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nations have done worse

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

also I've been wanting to say that this is the closest I can find in the modern era:

cool people are or maybe were wearing floral hoodies in recent years. odd future, back when I noticed them existing, were doing fun poo poo with fashion

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 23, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

Nations have done worse

Nations are doing worse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

You all know how Patton was sure he was Caesar in a previous life?

Yeah. I think I just found myself.

Lazy? Over educated? Contributes nothing to society except gluttony and bar tricks?

It's like looking into a mirror.
he would have been online

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

HEY GUNS posted:

Google gave me this but it's apparently his father

such a sweet smile!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

HEY GUNS posted:

truly, goon royalty

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nenonen posted:

such a sweet smile!
that outfit is fully sick

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I read about some King of Hungary, Louis ii maybe???, who was supposedly born prematurely and was saved by sewing him inside a dead pig. or maybe multiple pigs in succession? either way he also supposedly had all his hair turn white before he was 20 or whatever. he ended up losing his first battle disastrously to the Ottomans and was found drowned in a puddle after. I think this was the early 16th century

presumably almost none of the biographical details are true but it's a good story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Nenonen posted:

such a sweet smile!

Hapsburgs Low