Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

You've decided I'm secretly just trolling because I made a mistake and dropped it when people confronted it, yet you're fine with the people who've just straight up said that anyone who disagrees with them is trolling and should be treated respectively.

For the record, I don't think you're trolling, but the fact that you were using those scenes as evidence for so long is at the very least a bad look from the perspective of like...you should maybe watch the movie you're talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
You're all secretly trolling because everyone refuses to engage with my theory that Rey is a reincarnated Anakin and there's gonna be a big twist in the next movie where Ghost Luke goes "No, YOU are my father"

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

You've decided I'm secretly just trolling because I made a mistake and dropped it when people confronted it, yet you're fine with the people who've just straight up said that anyone who disagrees with them is trolling and should be treated respectively.

Don’t sweat it. This isn’t a formal debate. Who cares about any of this?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We can't tell if the reason you're no longer talking about some topic is because you realized you were wrong before or because you are ignoring the people who asked for an explanation.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

Don’t sweat it. This isn’t a formal debate. Who cares about any of this?

Talking about things on the internet when there's disagreements necessarily relies on an unspoken agreement that everyone is acting in good faith, otherwise what's even the point? Caring about what you're writing and how you're communicating your ideas is part of acting in good faith

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Cease to Hope posted:

You actually made at least five mistakes.

First, you apparently took the Revised Third Draft of Phantom Menace’s script and confused it with the film itself.

Second, you misread a scene in the Revised Third Draft and misidentified R2D2 as ‘a red R2 droid’ - somehow getting mixed up with the ‘bad motivator‘ droid from A New Hope.

Third, you misread the scene and thought that Jar Jar Binks killed R2D2. Jar Jar actually just surprises R2D2 in that scene, appearing unexpectedly with a can of oil.

Fourth, you misread the dialogue and thought Jar Jar spilled oil all over himself. Jar Jar actually just says that he found some oil, and doesn’t spill anything.

Fifth, you completely invented dialogue where Jar Jar is explicitly told not to touch the oil. Nothing remotely like this happens in the script.

And these are just a fraction of the mistakes you’ve made, and keep making.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

what's even the point?

Of discussing Star Wars online? There is none. We’re all wasting our time.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

I uh. Hm. Ok.

In the strictest sense I suppose we're "wasting" our time yeah in that I guess like, anything you talk about online is wasting it.

But like, in a more general sense I guess I find your take a bit odd because we're all explicitly posting in the Star War thread of a message board's film discussion board so who's being fooled? We're here to discuss movies because we want to, including you, friend. No one is above this if they're here, and pretending to be above it while actively posting is even...weirder.

This isn't a random group of people at a place they would have otherwise come who are being distracted by the topic of Star Wars; everyone in this thread came here to talk about Star Wars

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 22, 2019

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

sponges posted:

i'm putting htis thread into a time capsule

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i'm putting htis thread into a time capsule

is it going to come with a giant black obelisk inscribed with warnings to future generations not to dig the sour earth below?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I uh. Hm. Ok.

In the strictest sense I suppose we're "wasting" our time yeah in that I guess like, anything you talk about online is wasting it.

But like, in a more general sense I guess I find your take a bit odd because we're all explicitly posting in the Star War thread of a message board's film discussion board so who's being fooled? We're here to discuss movies because we want to, including you, friend. No one is above this if they're here, and pretending to be above it while actively posting is even...weirder.

This isn't a random group of people at a place they would have otherwise come who are being distracted by the topic of Star Wars; everyone in this thread came here to talk about Star Wars

I’m all to aware of how pathetic I am for even reading this thread. It’s the type of thing I would never mention to anyone in my personal life. It’s shameful.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Jar jar haters having a normal one

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

We can't tell if the reason you're no longer talking about some topic is because you realized you were wrong before or because you are ignoring the people who asked for an explanation.

Probably the latter! People like to repeat the same asked-and-answered question over and over without acknowledging the previous answer in any way, so there's a lot of noise to wade through. For a good example, go back and count how many times people asked for examples of Jar-Jar being incompetent. (Do not do this if you value your time in any way.)

Feel free to count people who reply to this trying to rekindle the same argument.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

sponges posted:

I’m all to aware of how pathetic I am for even reading this thread. It’s the type of thing I would never mention to anyone in my personal life. It’s shameful.

I mean you do you, but talking about a thing you like on the internet in 2019 isn't remotely shameful

Cease to Hope posted:

Probably the latter! People like to repeat the same asked-and-answered question over and over without acknowledging the previous answer in any way, so there's a lot of noise to wade through. For a good example, go back and count how many times people asked for examples of Jar-Jar being incompetent. (Do not do this if you value your time in any way.)

The reason is because you weren't offering supported or convincing evidence that he was incompetent. What you were seeing as people asking for examples was people asking for clarification

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 22, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

The reason is because you weren't offering supported or convincing evidence that he was incompetent. What you were seeing as people asking for examples was people asking for clarification

And sometimes there are "people asking for clarification" who turn out to have decided that your conclusion is proof that you are secretly lying about your reasons and will accept no possible argument you make, so they're just wasting your loving time.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If there is no assumption of good faith, discussion is impossible

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

And so we have reached the point in the discussion where the poster just hangs around to explain why they won't post about the movie anymore.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

And so we have reached the point in the discussion where the poster just hangs around to explain why they won't post about the movie anymore.

Bongo Bill posted:

No win situation. Can't ignore questions, can't answer them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Being wrong is a similar no win situation.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cease to Hope posted:

Sir Kodiak posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sometimes you make a bad line of posts which don't stand up to scrutinity in the light of day. When you do this it's perfectly okay to cut your losses and drop the topic rather than dig yourself into the world's deepest hole making an increasingly large embarassment of yourself, hell I'd say it's even preferable.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I mean you do you, but talking about a thing you like on the internet in 2019 isn't remotely shameful
I disagree

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sponges posted:

Your shame comes from thinking of this as a discussion of Star Wars and not a discussion of racism, authorship, performance, psychology, etc.

The Star Wars movies are generally pretty good, but they aren’t that interesting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Cease to Hope posted:

Specifically, you can't seem to defend your answers. What should be a back and forth just stops because you just ignore it and move on when someone points out you've made a mistake.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The Star Wars movies are generally pretty good, but they aren’t that interesting.

:hai:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

They're no Star Trek

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Star Wars is the second-best movie featuring a Bigfoot, behind Harry And The Hendersons

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uh the best Bigfoot movie is Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny/

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

gently caress! Nice one

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Is "The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot" out yet?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the best movie with a yeti in it is smallfoot but it does not qualify for best bigfoot movie due to its name (and also not having any bigfoot in it due to being set in nepal)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

The Yeti in Monsters Inc is a cutie

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Is "The Man Who Killed Hitler And Then The Bigfoot" out yet?

I saw it playing in a few art houses in Los Angeles but not sure about any other places.

CelticPredator posted:

Have you seen the hbo series? The Bigfoot episode is hilarious.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 23, 2019

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grendels Dad posted:

Jesus, you just find new stupid things to say every page, don't you?

Cnut's alt has perfected this.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

So

Importantly

Nobody here disputed that Chewbacca is a Bigfoot.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fart City posted:

So

Importantly

Nobody here disputed that Chewbacca is a Bigfoot.

Chewbacca isn't from the prequels, so there's no reason for anyone to try to deny the obvious in regard to him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Chewbacca is in Episode III for maybe a minute.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Gonz posted:

Chewbacca is in Episode III for maybe a minute.

Yeah Bigfoot's old friends with the frogman.

You'd think he would have mentioned it to Luke. Weird it never came up.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I don’t think Luke told people about Yoda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr.Radical posted:

I don’t think Luke told people about Yoda.

It was that shameful huh?