Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I paid real money for Destiny 2 recently to see what it is and that game's a boring piece of poo poo, too.

it's unironically one of the worst piece of poo poo games i've ever played, even anthem was more fun than that. it was like an extremely boring sterilization of a game with like nothing to do and they even managed to gently caress up the whole skinner-box dopamine droplet aspect of loot-shooter because there's no real loot, and also the shooting sucks since theres like 2 enemies and they don't even really fight back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Borderlands 2 was good during the portion of the game where zer0 invisible-chain-teleport-backstab-oneshot was a viable strategy. Outside of that portion it was not good

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

it's unironically one of the worst piece of poo poo games i've ever played, even anthem was more fun than that. it was like an extremely boring sterilization of a game with like nothing to do and they even managed to gently caress up the whole skinner-box dopamine droplet aspect of loot-shooter because there's no real loot, and also the shooting sucks since theres like 2 enemies and they don't even really fight back

Not only that, they completely ruined one of the most important aspects of an MMO, an open world populated by other people, and replaced it with essentially 16 small shooter maps. It sucks a surprisingly high amount.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
ayyup. youtube now flagging every video that might have a kid in it i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGaBzGJeCgA

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the first borderlands was a fantastic game and the series went downhill from there

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Truga posted:

ayyup. youtube now flagging every video that might have a kid in it i guess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGaBzGJeCgA

lmfao you can set your clock to this bullshit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

~*hits on ensign vikki*~

~*ensign vikki files an hr complaint*~

~*ensign vikki is transferred to another squad*~

~*you are now -1 team member, team morale is lowered, your unit effectiveness has been permanently decreased*~

oh man i would loving love that, imagine the gamer tears lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i guarantee the person who voice acted ensign vikki would get death threats

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

the first borderlands was a fantastic game and the series went downhill from there

the first borderlands was way too grindy

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

the first borderlands was way too grindy

it was way less grindy than borderlands 2 what are you talking about

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
i like destiny 2 because i can click monsters and make numbers bigger

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Apex legends is pretty good imo, no better feeling than contributing 50 damage and 0 kills while your other teammates win the game. It's the world marx wanted.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hey speaking of games

https://twitter.com/newley/status/1098553163420979200

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the best part of that story is the puppy was making GBS threads and pissing itself during an important meeting with kissinger

good boy :allears:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
yo my names elizabeth and you can trust me
my dog is a wolf and my voice is husky

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shame Boy posted:

the best part of that story is the puppy was making GBS threads and pissing itself during an important meeting with kissinger
in similar circumstance i would hope that id have the presence of mind to do the same

quote:

very good boy

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also:

https://twitter.com/SchoofsFeed/status/1098999479141752832

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

is there a single photo of her without that dead-eye serial killer stare?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The_Franz posted:

is there a single photo of her without that dead-eye serial killer stare?

yeah but why use the normal looking appealing photos for an unsympathizable story about bizarre behavior

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

quote:

The remaining employees were told they would be moving to the Theranos laboratory facility, across the bay in Newark, California. Employees who were still at Theranos at the time describe Newark as “crummy” and a “shithole.”
truth

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i mean, not that a normal end user should be expected to know this, but isnt this what google/facebook embedded beacon widget things on basically every site you go to do? scrape the data of everything youre doing?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

I also like that the making GBS threads and pissing dog was meant to be a symbol of theranos' journey out of their predicament

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the naive understanding is that those things report which pages you're viewing, the fact they also forward salient facts from the page contents is unexpected

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this story is about native apps

my bitter bi rival posted:

i mean, not that a normal end user should be expected to know this, but isnt this what google/facebook embedded beacon widget things on basically every site you go to do? scrape the data of everything youre doing?

app events appears to be an analytics service. normally you'd expect that such a service would only let the developer look at the gathered data, instead it's sending it to the rest of facebook as well

really we should view all software of any kind linked to facebook as suspect now

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

all apps are suspect

you can trust your web browser (if it isn't Chrome), you can never trust an app

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

pseudorandom name posted:

all apps are suspect

trust only your fists

apps will never help you

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also good on apple for taking all their os-level facebook integration out with ios 11

salted hash browns
Mar 26, 2007
ykrop

FMguru posted:

trust only your fists

apps will never help you

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that poor theranos dog

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

fritz posted:

that poor theranos dog

She would let it sniff customer's blood samples. If he peed, cancer. If he pooped, colon cancer.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

this story is about native apps

i assume those are exponentially worse than websites in every way privacy and security wise.

haveblue posted:

app events appears to be an analytics service. normally you'd expect that such a service would only let the developer look at the gathered data, instead it's sending it to the rest of facebook as well

no one should expect that. what possible reason would anyone who has been alive for the last 10 years have to think that that would be the case? facebook's implicit mission statement is to gather as much information as they can about you, they might obey the vampire rule of needing you to invite them in vis a vis some app analytics integration poo poo but once they have their foot in the door they are going take every single loving they can, right down to the copper in the walls

the naive understanding is that those things report which pages you're viewing, the fact they also forward salient facts from the page contents is unexpected

i disagree about it being "unexpected". if youre an app developer who set up some facebook integration beacon thing and are surprised they are strip mining your customers' data, youre a moron

all apps are suspect

yea this

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 22, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

She would let it sniff customer's blood samples. If he peed, cancer. If he pooped, colon cancer.
more accurate than the theranos primary blood testing methodology

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my bitter bi rival posted:

it is very normal, but it def isnt cool with the GDPR

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

it is very normal, but it def isnt cool with the GDPR

~*very shaggarishly*~ uncompetitive eu punishing american innovators

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

normally i would agree with shaggar except the only innovations in question are just awful

like imagine someone invented idk a room temperature semiconductor and released it to the world like the polio guy did? im fairly sure the eu wouldnt tax that guy.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

also, this is amazing. i just wanted to check his name but this came up:

quote:

Editors Note:
Despite the progress in polio and other diseases made possible by vaccines, today we are witnessing a resurgence of vaccine-preventable illnesses as nervous parents skip their children’s shots. Watch the PBS documentary Vaccines—Calling the Shots to find learn more.

BIO is also a leading voice on the patent-ability of biotech inventions and other IP matters. To get the most recent updates on IP in the biotech world, please sign up for BIO’s free bi-monthly IP Newsletter.

A guest writer in a recent article in the Wall Street Journal repeated the oft quoted Jonas Salk statement about his Polio vaccine: “There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?” Many use this statement as the moral impetus for refusing patents on medically important innovations (see Michael Moore’s Capitalism: A Love Story). Unfortunately, Jonas Salk created a myth that day by leaving out several crucial details.

As pointed out by Robert Cook-Deegan at Duke University, “When Jonas Salk asked rhetorically “Would you patent the sun?” during his famous television interview with Edward R. Murrow, he did not mention that the lawyers from the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis had looked into patenting the Salk Vaccine and concluded that it could not be patented because of prior art – that it would not be considered a patentable invention by standards of the day. Salk implied that the decision was a moral one, but Jane Smith, in her history of the Salk Vaccine, Patenting the Sun, notes that whether or not Salk himself believed what he said to Murrow, the idea of patenting the vaccine had been directly analyzed and the decision was made not to apply for a patent mainly because it would not result in one. We will never know whether the National Foundation on Infantile Paralysis or the University of Pittsburgh would have patented the vaccine if they could, but the simple moral interpretation often applied to this case is simply wrong.”

While the debate on whether patents are the best way to incentivize medical innovation and commercialization continues, that debate should proceed without reliance on this myth regarding the history of the Polio vaccine.

Filed under: Patently BIOtech, Public Policy, biomedical innovation, Biotech Patenting, drug development, healtcare innovation, innovation, patent, polio, vaccines

there's a billion inline links in there that im not gonna copy. if youre curious, just google "polio" or "vaccine" and im sure youll find a hosed up website just like this one.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Krankenstyle posted:

like imagine someone invented idk a room temperature semiconductor
just imagine!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FMguru posted:

just imagine!

whatever conductor something, you know what i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Krankenstyle posted:

whatever conductor something, you know what i mean

like a regular conductor, but even better!