Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jarvisi posted:

I am incredibly bad at this game. How should I be proceeding in the midgame? I got rid of Alden and am a senior member in my job now, so plenty of money.

Just not sure how to do this cool cult poo poo like summoning creatures or what my route should be next.

Agreeing with tips about expeditions and advancing up the Mansus. Also make sure to read a ton of books to collect lore/rites/stuff. Since you have plenty of money that shouldn't be an issue. You can empty out the book store, so do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

A good tip for any stage of the game, if you haven't seen it yet, is that you can drag things into Verbs to see if the text changes before actually committing to using the Verb. So much can be learned this way.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It's always good to free up your Verb slots, pause the game, and just experiment with which things can go in which slots. You'll figure out stuff you had no idea you could do.

As others have said, go on expeditions and collect all the items you get from them. Read all the books and spend a lot of time exploring the Mansus. Once you get a few rituals figure out what you can summon and how to do it.

One of the most fun parts of the game for me was sitting there on my laptop with a notebook next to me writing down stuff to keep for later. I probably would have been committed if someone had read my notebook that had hastily scrawled "How to enter Stag door? Ritual of declining sun+moth+Neville ???? Edge>Winter>????"

Tenasscity
Jan 1, 2010

At the beginning of the normal playthrough you should focus on getting enough money to buy out the auction house and mordlans shop. Once you study all of those you should have 4 or 6 level lores in everything. I would spend this winding up time talking about lores to find more and more cultist to join you.

The importance about having six values of every Lore is so you can do as many papers for your patrons as is necessary. these are not only good for auctionable Spintras, but turning these in generates erudition and glimmering which are good for studying lore together or leveling up your stats cards. you will still want to save some spintras for repairing any mirrors you might find.

you can answer the door Riddle that prevent you from getting higher in the Mansus if you have six of every lore. This is because you will have every possible answer to the question.

So yeah, the early game goal is to get enough lores so you can start doing the bigger stuff.

The real difficulty I found for the new game plus is that the long makes it so you have a timer of sorts. If you take too long then they go off and start doing nasty things. So you can't just sit back and slowly grind to a point where money is no object for example.

Doing painting and clerical work while selling Spintras I can usually generate about a hundred and fifty money in the early game and never truly run out before the end.

If you can get iotic essence from the spider door those things frequently auction for 20.

On new game plus I would not start an expedition unless I had 20 or more money. There has been times where I have had to come close to cancel the expedition because of length or failures while having to worry about getting my money taken away.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hmm. To be honest I've been completely ignoring the patrons lately, they're a lot of clicking for too little reward and I have better things to do with those verbs.

My typical game looks something like:

1. Unlock verbs
2. Grind stats -> max painting -> paint to 200~300 funds
3. Empty Morland's -> Empty Oriflamme's
4. Read books
5. Proceed through the Mansus to at least the Stag Door -> accumulate histories -> accumulate expeditions
6. Recruit until the deck is empty -> promote cultists
7. Do expeditions
8. Win

With as much parallelisation as possible but prioritised in roughly that order. Once you have max painting/White Door/Winter Rite/enough lore to conjure Voiceless Dead/Raw Prophets on demand it's trivially easy to deal with any non-Long threat.

Tenasscity posted:

you can answer the door Riddle that prevent you from getting higher in the Mansus if you have six of every lore. This is because you will have every possible answer to the question.

This is a spoiler, I think. The Stag Door is a pretty good sanity check for new players, you don't want to be giving that away too easy.

Tenasscity posted:

The real difficulty I found for the new game plus is that the long makes it so you have a timer of sorts. If you take too long then they go off and start doing nasty things. So you can't just sit back and slowly grind to a point where money is no object for example.

Yeah, that's the real value-add of the apostle runs. It keeps things interesting.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

It's always good to free up your Verb slots, pause the game, and just experiment with which things can go in which slots. You'll figure out stuff you had no idea you could do.

QOL tip: if you click on an empty verb slot every card that's valid for it will glow.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 15, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol you just quoted something to say it's a spoiler and wrapped it in spoiler tags so no-one has a clue what it is without mousing over it

and i am of the opinion that i do not have better things to do with my verbs than Substantial and Very Substantial commissions. the spintriae are extremely useful, as ritual resource, a source of Funds, or for fixing broken things. a silver one is like 8 funds at least - and a glimmering/erudition, which is handy if you're merging lore - in exchange for 20seconds talk, 60 seconds work, and, what, 60 seconds explore or so?

iron ones can gently caress off though. useless chunks of nothingness

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol you just quoted something to say it's a spoiler and wrapped it in spoiler tags so no-one has a clue what it is without mousing over it

The quote box show up yellow for Tenasscity, who's the one it's directed at. They can check it and tell me to gently caress off or w/e and everyone else can just ignore it.

I knew what I was doing.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

and i am of the opinion that i do not have better things to do with my verbs than Substantial and Very Substantial commissions. the spintriae are extremely useful, as ritual resource, a source of Funds, or for fixing broken things. a silver one is like 8 funds at least - and a glimmering/erudition, which is handy if you're merging lore - in exchange for 20seconds talk, 60 seconds work, and, what, 60 seconds explore or so?

Eh. You shouldn't need money by the time you have that much lore and I've literally never bothered using a spintria in a ritual. Fixing broken things is the one serious case, but that's quite late, and you're guaranteed Frangiclave now. And you don't really need to go to the Peacock Door at all, at least not in a normal game. Meanwhile my Talk verb is busy busy busy upgrading cultists, keeping cards alive, getting rid of evidence and caging hirelings. Even when I don't need a summon I'm probably using Work burn bad influences.

But if it works for you, cool.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Regarding spintria and the Peacock Door
The Peacock Door is basically required for grinding out high-tier Secret Histories, which is required for some victories (I don't know about the other two Apostle paths yet but the Forge Apostle route requires you to grind Port Noon Ancedotes until you randomly find the location with a certain item). Sure the Frangiclave is guaranteed but it's guaranteed as a drop in a place you need a Port Noon Anecdote to reach. To even get it, you need to play the mirror-reforging game quite a bit already

ZeroCount fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 15, 2019

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Another useful tip is that you can hoard up Notoriety through painting once you've gotten going. It can be a good way to drain some of the junk resources you get from expeditions and can make a good bit of cash.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Regarding spintria and the Peacock Door
The Peacock Door is basically required for grinding out high-tier Secret Histories, which is required for some victories (I don't know about the other two Apostle paths yet but the Forge Apostle route requires you to grind Port Noon Ancedotes until you randomly find the location with a certain item).

Yes, but where I put "normal" I meant basic Lantern/Forge/Grail. Sorry, should have been clearer.

ZeroCount posted:

Sure the Frangiclave is guaranteed but it's guaranteed as a drop in a place you need a Port Noon Anecdote to reach. To even get it, you need to play the mirror-reforging game quite a bit already

Not in my Forge+ game :cool:

I merged a bunch of Stag histories while I was waiting to draw the lore to advance and ended up getting the Cristabel straight off. Your judgement on whether that's more or less tedious than getting a Port Noon Anecdote the regular way, though.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yes, but where I put "normal" I meant basic Lantern/Forge/Grail. Sorry, should have been clearer.

Not in my Forge+ game :cool:

I merged a bunch of Stag histories while I was waiting to draw the lore to advance and ended up getting the Cristabel straight off. Your judgement on whether that's more or less tedious than getting a Port Noon Anecdote the regular way, though.

well now I'm just jealous. Grinding high-tier Secret Histories really blows.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I beat the game 3 times now, two standard, one major, and had never bought out the auction or bookstore once. It is simply overkill and tons of extra grind.

Get enough lores so you can get into Mansus is enough. Even low level expedition yield much better things than the stores.

pedro0930 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 22, 2019

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Maybe it's just me but I always prefer the auction house to the bookstore anyway. There's more potent stuff.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Just defeated a Long for the first time. At first I assumed the mechanic would be basically like Arkham Horror's bosses where the bossfight lasts until the end of the game and once the bossfight starts you start taking heavy losses until you either lose or beat the game. This made the whole ordeal feel really overwhelming and demoralizing, but as a result victory was all the sweeter when I realized that this is not the case! Probably one of the more intense/rewarding moments for me while playing this :)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

http://weatherfactory.biz/feb-2-dorian/

Knock and Winter are getting legacies.

Legacies, note, not (necessarily) victories.

Also, this will be the last DLC for the foreseeable future.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alexis talked about tier 3 and maybe even tier 4 (though he rushed to say he wasn't promising that one) victories to follow on the tier 2 victory of new game plus in previous streams, so it'll be kind of disappointing if that never happens. Of course those two legacies being the last anticipated paid DLC doesn't mean they can't accompany major free updates, as the first DLC did, so we'll have to see. Honestly, even if they did pare down that ambition, it kind of makes sense not to keep dumping resources into stuff a smaller and smaller segment of the playerbase will ever see, since each tier of investment is another stop off at which a bunch of people may have decided they've had enough. Getting a new game instead isn't all bad as a player either, of course, it just sort of shows why it's a good idea not to brainstorm out loud on streams, because people might decide they like the ideas and want to see them implemented.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 22, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I think that the two paid DLCs coming up have to have victories. I mean, Dancer did. If it follows the pattern of dancer those will have their own respective victory conditions.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Sinteres posted:

Alexis talked about tier 3 and maybe even tier 4 (though he rushed to say he wasn't promising that one) victories to follow on the tier 2 victory of new game plus in previous streams, so it'll be kind of disappointing if that never happens. Of course those two legacies being the last anticipated paid DLC doesn't mean they can't accompany major free updates, as the first DLC did, so we'll have to see. Honestly, even if they did pare down that ambition, it kind of makes sense not to keep dumping resources into stuff a smaller and smaller segment of the playerbase will ever see, since each tier of investment is another stop off at which a bunch of people may have decided they've had enough. Getting a new game instead isn't all bad as a player either, of course, it just sort of shows why it's a good idea not to brainstorm out loud on streams, because people might decide they like the ideas and want to see them implemented.

I get the sense they intend to come back to Cult later, it's just that a new primary project has to take priority for cashflow reasons. I'm still fairly confident that the higher tiers might be along eventually, but that eventually might be 2022. Or they could be bundled with these DLCs, idk.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

I get the sense they intend to come back to Cult later, it's just that a new primary project has to take priority for cashflow reasons. I'm still fairly confident that the higher tiers might be along eventually, but that eventually might be 2022. Or they could be bundled with these DLCs, idk.

That's fair, I was just concerned that it was just a reference to whatever the library thing they've been talking about will be. I'm fine with long delays, or even if they come back to it in the future by making a sequel that manages to integrate a lot of what they've done while bringing in new elements, so I hope you're right.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

It would be really weird to see two new Aspect centered legacies without some sort of new victories or paths.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
honestly it makes sense to move primary focus to another project and let the idea cask percolate idly on dlc ideas instead of plugging ahead to the end rn

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

If anything, hire a lead game designer and let Kennedy loose as a creative director

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
please god

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Playdigious/status/1101120564599681025

Well, this should be good. I like the UI!

Perpetual
Sep 7, 2007
Also, if you haven't been following patch notes, alternate headquarters are finally in the game. :toot:

Only found the easy one (Miss Morland's abandoned shop) but it seems like a good one if you never want to worry about curses ever again, as you can use it to produce heart influences with a bit of coin. They're going to have more function once the research revamp goes in judging by the patch notes, which is on the roadmap for sometime this month.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i did not follow the patch notes and it confused the poo poo out of me

you get a bunch of them from completing the first tier of expeditions, found using an occult scrap. no idea what they all do!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Hmm. Steam discussions patch notes haven't been updated since feb4th. A little frustrating as they'd previous seemed very good at keeping it up to date.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

One of the most fun parts of the game for me was sitting there on my laptop with a notebook next to me writing down stuff to keep for later. I probably would have been committed if someone had read my notebook that had hastily scrawled "How to enter Stag door? Ritual of declining sun+moth+Neville ???? Edge>Winter>????"

One of my favorite, more meta parts of this game is that they did a fantastic job of coaching the terms and language used in it that if players who know the deeper parts of the game discuss how to do certain things it honestly sounds like Lovecraftian cultists passing along knowledge. Like even just reading this thread for someone not in the know would be like reading wall scribbles in an asylum. I realized this when I was in a discord with friends getting excited about getting into a higher level in the Mansus and when my friends were confused I excitedly explained the process of what I did to get there and was greeted with deafening silence as I can only imagine they thought I had lost my mind and I had to explain it was a game while showing some screenshots

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One of my favorite, more meta parts of this game is that they did a fantastic job of coaching the terms and language used in it that if players who know the deeper parts of the game discuss how to do certain things it honestly sounds like Lovecraftian cultists passing along knowledge. Like even just reading this thread for someone not in the know would be like reading wall scribbles in an asylum. I realized this when I was in a discord with friends getting excited about getting into a higher level in the Mansus and when my friends were confused I excitedly explained the process of what I did to get there and was greeted with deafening silence as I can only imagine they thought I had lost my mind and I had to explain it was a game while showing some screenshots

You've been reported to the Bureau.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Weary Detective will process it promptly, right after he finishes taking eyewitness statements from all these loving Welshmen.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Alternatively, you’ve gone someone interesting. Come with me

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Working my way through this thread, avoiding spoilers, but I've popped ahead to ask if anyone else is not getting achievements on steam? Cause I've for sure done some of the things on the list and I still have 0. On windows, btw, since the only threads online I found about bugged cheevos were people using linux.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Been a little addicted to this game for a few days, but gently caress.
Dying as an apostle makes you start all over at the start of the normal game?
Between that and dancer not getting the new stuff I have to ascend a third time?

I really don't see why my Enlightened guy can't just hollow out a second husk of a man to do his bidding, or whatever the explanation for apostle is.
I guess a third win shouldn't take too since I know what I'm doing now for the most part. last time I ascended before even passing the Peacock Gate or leaning Vak, thanks to Teresa, an ingredient, and the highest level lantern arcana.

Well. I mostly know what I'm doing. I still have never had a romance or a traitor, though.
Am I missing a lot if I just never get too far in [Apostle]?

I think I'm willing to finish this Socialite/Sensation run, and maybe do a successful Detective/Power, but that's probably it. I played my Dancer way too long before I figured out her last step, so I've already read a shitload of lore, and starting over is very samey, especially when I have to clear an entire game to get back to where I was.

Okay I might also try to do a corner office run while interacting with the occult as little as possible, I am amused that endings where you just quit doing occult stuff exist.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you click the 'view files' or 'see saves' or whatever button you see the .txt file that is your save in the game directory. You can make copies and put them back in and all that. Or even fiddle with it I guess. So if you are worried about an apostle run, make a copy of the save at the start.

Also if you feel the game is being bad and wrong at you, ctrl + ` is the debug command. Easiest use is just spawning a desired card for yourself.

But yeah, the game is addicting but also not super concerned about your time. So make your own judgements on what is fair to do. Like stopping a magnet slot taking a card by holding in your cursor or some of the crazy tricks for stopping cards ticking down.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Releasing this game on mobile is an extremely effective way to get me to spend money on it and all it's DLC despite being a Perpetual edition owner.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Tylana posted:

If you click the 'view files' or 'see saves' or whatever button you see the .txt file that is your save in the game directory. You can make copies and put them back in and all that. Or even fiddle with it I guess. So if you are worried about an apostle run, make a copy of the save at the start.

Also if you feel the game is being bad and wrong at you, ctrl + ` is the debug command. Easiest use is just spawning a desired card for yourself.

But yeah, the game is addicting but also not super concerned about your time. So make your own judgements on what is fair to do. Like stopping a magnet slot taking a card by holding in your cursor or some of the crazy tricks for stopping cards ticking down.

I don't know why I thought of quitting before I thought of backing up my save.

I will do that next time I reach apostle.
Especially since I've already gone to backups or, in one case, editing a timer in the save file, as a "gently caress I'm dead because this game has no cancel action option" measure, like, twice.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I did my first game w/ a Knock cult and a Power victory. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to run with in a second go-around (don't feel quite ready to tackle an Apostle game, although I've got that save backed-up)? Not sure what I want / might have missed, but I do know I want to keep working the Reason job long enough to at least kill my boss.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Ghost of Starman posted:

I did my first game w/ a Knock cult and a Power victory. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to run with in a second go-around (don't feel quite ready to tackle an Apostle game, although I've got that save backed-up)? Not sure what I want / might have missed, but I do know I want to keep working the Reason job long enough to at least kill my boss.

Cult that can kidnap people is probably consistently useful.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
So I've been completely avoiding information about this game to preserve this experience, but now I have to ask: if I pull this off, do I win?

Because if so, I feel like I hit endgame at a really weird time. The highest Lantern I can muster right now is 13 :pwn:

edit: cropped the statbar because it had my real name in it :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So I've been completely avoiding information about this game to preserve this experience, but now I have to ask: if I pull this off, do I win?

Because if so, I feel like I hit endgame at a really weird time. The highest Lantern I can muster right now is 13 :pwn:

edit: cropped the statbar because it had my real name in it :sweatdrop:

Yes, you get a standard victory.

I think it's an okay time to see the victory condition so you can have an idea on how to get there instead of continually stumbling for a few more hours without a clear aim.