Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sora8185 posted:

New to this forum. Maybe a bit late since it's old af, what should I expect from this poo poo?

Introduce yourself to DnD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Sora8185 posted:

New to this forum. Maybe a bit late since it's old af, what should I expect from this poo poo?

It's a bizarre mishmash of people that are highly skilled in their fields, combined with people who do things like build a zipline that launches children at 104 kilometers per hour at a wooden post.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
I would argue that those people are also highly skilled in their fields.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't hate anyone, don't you put that on me.

E: except capitalists. :gritty:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I would argue that those people are also highly skilled in their fields.

But no one considers "Constructing Child Death Machines Disguised as Amusement Rides" a field

Action Park not withstanding.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Don’t read FYAD or you’ll cause an aneurysm

Sora8185
Feb 21, 2019

How often do you drink milk?
Is there a thread for EDC? Or to discuss knives?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sora8185 posted:

Is there a thread for EDC? Or to discuss knives?

TFR https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=132

The gun goons is as close as you'll get to EDC and knives

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I just sold a laptop on eBay for >$600 and it was bought by a buyer with 0 feedback and the account was created today. The buyer paid instantly and the money is in my Paypal account. Buyer lives in an apartment building.

This seems shady as hell. I'm worried I'm going to ship it and get a chargeback or "item not described" refund from Paypal. eBay forums say that if he paid the money you have to ship it regardless.

Should I back out of this deal or what?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah don’t risk it.

My question: in the Fallout 4 loading screens they show magazines that cost $35. Is there some sort of hyperinflation that happened in the US in the FO lore?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah don’t risk it.

My question: in the Fallout 4 loading screens they show magazines that cost $35. Is there some sort of hyperinflation that happened in the US in the FO lore?

Yeah with the whole resource wars thing. It's also part of why the pre-nuke gas prices are listed at $8000 a gallon, a single donut was listed as costing $50, etc.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

FCKGW posted:

I just sold a laptop on eBay for >$600 and it was bought by a buyer with 0 feedback and the account was created today. The buyer paid instantly and the money is in my Paypal account. Buyer lives in an apartment building.

This seems shady as hell. I'm worried I'm going to ship it and get a chargeback or "item not described" refund from Paypal. eBay forums say that if he paid the money you have to ship it regardless.

Should I back out of this deal or what?

I was selling off some comics a few years ago and had a guy in Poland bid on a big lot (125+ books). It was a new account that he had changed the username three times in the same day. I rejected his bid and said he had no problem with that. At the end of the auction, he had come back with another username. I told him I wasn't going to honor the auction because he had told me he would not bid again. He told me that he had won the auction fair and square and there wasn't a loving thing I could do about it.

I called ebay and they reviewed the emails, canceled the auction and my seller fees, and banned the guy.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004
Will any video cassette player play this tape, or do I need a special type of player?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jose Cuervo posted:

Will any video cassette player play this tape, or do I need a special type of player?

It'd be easier to tell if you actually, you know, showed us the tape. From what I can see there, the proportions look a little off for it to be a standard VHS tape, but it might just be a weird case.

If it does turn out to be something weird, someone in the Tech Relics thread might be able to identify it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jose Cuervo posted:

UC-coded videocassettes are generally U-matic format, which needs a special player. Does the cassette inside look like the one in the link above? What are its dimensions? More pictures here.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Scratched a rental car pretty bad but I opted for the loss damage waiver with $0 deductible. Do I need to do anything when turning the car in? Am I really not responsible for this scratch on this car?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Jose Cuervo posted:

It's a 3/4" tape - it will not play in a VHS tape. It's sometimes referred to as U-Matic but mostly "three-quarter". Call your local dvd duplicator. They have a 3/4 player in the back and will dub it. In TYOOL 2019 you can probably ship it somewhere and have them ship it back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah don’t risk it.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I was selling off some comics a few years ago and had a guy in Poland bid on a big lot (125+ books). It was a new account that he had changed the username three times in the same day. I rejected his bid and said he had no problem with that. At the end of the auction, he had come back with another username. I told him I wasn't going to honor the auction because he had told me he would not bid again. He told me that he had won the auction fair and square and there wasn't a loving thing I could do about it.

I called ebay and they reviewed the emails, canceled the auction and my seller fees, and banned the guy.

Turns out they allow people to checkout from eBay as a guest (no account creation) and these usernames are what gets auto-generated.

I'm trying to contact the guy to get a little more info but it might be legit after all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pollyanna posted:

What is the term for a volcanic landscape, or a terrain that’s heavily volcanic (ashy soil, etc.)? And is there a matching term for it in Spanish?

"Igneous landforms" or "volcanic landforms" might work, but that's almost the same thing as just saying "volcanic landscape." You might also want to look at some examples of how those phrases are used to see if they fit the sort of thing you're talking about, it looks kind of like it's a description for the more immediate effect a volcano has on the landscape rather than "how it affects the soil properties millennia later." http://www.slackpacker.com/igneous.html

"Andisol" is specifically the name for soil formed from volcanic ash: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andisol

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 22, 2019

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Sora8185 posted:

Find a thread of something you love and then slowly hate everything and everyone associated with it.

Jose Cuervo
Aug 25, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

It'd be easier to tell if you actually, you know, showed us the tape. From what I can see there, the proportions look a little off for it to be a standard VHS tape, but it might just be a weird case.

If it does turn out to be something weird, someone in the Tech Relics thread might be able to identify it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

Sorry, more pictures are attached:

AlbieQuirky posted:

UC-coded videocassettes are generally U-matic format, which needs a special player. Does the cassette inside look like the one in the link above? What are its dimensions? More pictures here.

photomikey posted:

It's a 3/4" tape - it will not play in a VHS tape. It's sometimes referred to as U-Matic but mostly "three-quarter". Call your local dvd duplicator. They have a 3/4 player in the back and will dub it. In TYOOL 2019 you can probably ship it somewhere and have them ship it back.

Yep, this looks like a 3/4" tape. Thanks for the confirmation.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

Yeah don’t risk it.

Not really. Everything you see is in the year 2077. They did exaggerate the inflation a bit but the original Fallout game was made in 1997 so the price reference is like 80 years of inflation. Things that cost a dollar or two now could feasibly get up that high by then. Poke around at an inflation calculator some time. Something that costs $5 can get over a hundred in less than a century. I'll assume they figured some higher than normal inflation was going on toward the end but there was more than enough time between the game coming out and the bombs dropping for relatively normal inflation to do at least most of that.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Robokomodo posted:

Don’t read FYAD or you’ll cause an aneurysm

Alternatively, you should ask FYAD the same question.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
What are some quick and easy pcik-me-ups that don't include caffiene?

It's only half five in the afternoon but for some reason I feel exhausted, and I've got a lot of things to do left in the day.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

OscarDiggs posted:

It's only half five in the afternoon but for some reason I feel exhausted, and I've got a lot of things to do left in the day.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

OscarDiggs posted:

Taurine?

or are you trying for drug-free pick me ups? Get better sleep, quick workout in the morning, cold shower/cold wash of your face, go for a walk.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We are moving and I found a really nice pair of hiking boots that one of our cats pissed on. They are heavy duty, good quality boots. Would it be worth taking them to a shoe repair/restorer, or is that a jerk move?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

f(x)=x+1

the 1 makes you put the first point on (0,1)

but why does the x make it go to (-1,0)?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
x = -1
-1 + 1 = 0

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://www.desmos.com/calculator

f(x)=x+1

the 1 makes you put the first point on (0,1)

but why does the x make it go to (-1,0)?

f(x) essentially just means y.

So, y=x+1.

So, if x=0, y=0+1, or 1. (0,1)
If x=-1, y=-1+1, or 0. (-1,0)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

x = -1
-1 + 1 = 0

:thunk:

Thanks

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

f(x) essentially just means y.

So, y=x+1.

So, if x=0, y=0+1, or 1. (0,1)
If x=-1, y=-1+1, or 0. (-1,0)

oh this makes more sense, thank you!

You'd think I'd be able to figure something like this out - I know f(x)=y, but damned if I'm any good at using abstract logic to make that kind of leap to solving for y without help.

e: And hey, that explains why I suck at math and have problems with it. The classes are constructed so that I learn tool A (something like how to factor), then they teach me how to use tool B (how to add fractions with an x^2 in 'em) but whenever they try to combine the tools, I get totally lost.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 22, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

oh this makes more sense, thank you!

You'd think I'd be able to figure something like this out - I know f(x)=y, but damned if I'm any good at using abstract logic to make that kind of leap to solving for y without help.

e: And hey, that explains why I suck at math and have problems with it. The classes are constructed so that I learn tool A (something like how to factor), then they teach me how to use tool B (how to add fractions with an x^2 in 'em) but whenever they try to combine the tools, I get totally lost.

Math is hard, don't worry about it.

I just started an OU course for computer stuff and they make you do a term of basic math like I did when I was 15-16 and drat do I not remember any of the math I did at 15-16.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

OscarDiggs posted:

I just started an OU course for computer stuff and they make you do a term of basic math like I did when I was 15-16 and drat do I not remember any of the math I did at 15-16.

I took Algebra I last semester and had to spend the first month relearning how to do long division and how to subtract fractions because it's the same here. No memory for it, and if it comes up in my day-to-day life I have a calculator.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

We are moving and I found a really nice pair of hiking boots that one of our cats pissed on. They are heavy duty, good quality boots. Would it be worth taking them to a shoe repair/restorer, or is that a jerk move?

Douse them in Nature’s Miracle

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

meanolmrcloud posted:

Take them to a laundromat, throw a bunch of detergent in there, then leave for an hour. Washing boots gets LOUD. But come back for the boots.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OscarDiggs posted:

That can't be repeated enough. Don't forget that you're a stupid, hairy ape just like the rest of us and your stupid, hairy ape brain evolved to throw spears at antelope and weave baskets not to worry about numbers. Math is difficult even if you have some kind of inborn talent. The important thing is to hammer away at it until you get it. It's tedious and boring and your brain will hate doing it but it's so drat useful.

If you get really stuck just set it down for like five or ten minutes. Get a cup of tea or something then come back to it. Forcing your brain into a context switch does wonders.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That can't be repeated enough. Don't forget that you're a stupid, hairy ape just like the rest of us and your stupid, hairy ape brain evolved to throw spears at antelope and weave baskets not to worry about numbers. Math is difficult even if you have some kind of inborn talent. The important thing is to hammer away at it until you get it. It's tedious and boring and your brain will hate doing it but it's so drat useful.

If you get really stuck just set it down for like five or ten minutes. Get a cup of tea or something then come back to it. Forcing your brain into a context switch does wonders.

Thank you!

I've got about two weeks before my midterm so I'm beginning to really put in the study - I can't bring that graphing calculator into the exam, after all, so I'd better reinforce all of those basics.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
If you haven't done so already, you may want to check out the math thread in the Science, Academics, and Languages subforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

dirby posted:

If you haven't done so already, you may want to check out the math thread in the Science, Academics, and Languages subforum.

I'll be sure to keep it in mind!